• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
Linkup said:
3D sticks are brand new and expensive, that should end any discussion about it being used. The first thing I thought was analog stick when I read the nikkei news. If they do copy the horrible nub on PSP I can only hope they somehow improve it.

yea and if you consider Nikkei's audience (investors, etc) they don't know the difference between Kirby and Kratos.

3D stick to them would be analog stick. If it invokes any memory of anything at all.

Branduil

Brimstone said:
I get the impression the stick will be similar to Logitechs space navigator.

spacenavigator-comparison.jpg
How on earth does that work?

LCfiner

Linkup said:
3D sticks are brand new and expensive, that should end any discussion about it being used. The first thing I thought was analog stick when I read the nikkei news. If they do copy the horrible nub on PSP I can only hope they somehow improve it.

well, they’ll add the octo-gate so it’ll automatically be better :)

edit: @ Branduil. not easily. We have them at work for CAD model manipulation and the learning curve is steep. but it’s pretty cool. you can fly your camera around with a combination of tilts, rotations and pans.

it’s not something I think nintendo will use. it’s way more complicated than necessary for character movement.

Ten-Song

Linkup said:
If they do copy the horrible nub on PSP I can only hope they somehow improve it.

It'd be really easy to improve on that design though. All Nintendo would have to do is account for the fact that human beings will be using the system, so they wouldn't give it a cheese grater surface and would also make it bigger than a dime.

Effect

Hmm. What kind of effect to you think the 3D nature of future games for this new system will have on piracy? This isn't simply a software situation here. Nintendo is going to allow games to be specifically dependent upon the actual hardware now. I wouldn't be surprised as well if they rework the game carts as well.

Branduil

Spiegel said:
The correct translation is "a stick for controlling characters in 3D"

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/24/additional_3ds_details/

So yeah, an analog stick.
Nikkei reports that Nintendo plans on including a stick for controlling characters in 3D and will also include rumble in order to communicate attacks and strikes to the player. Nintendo acquired patents related to these control methods last year, the site reports.

Sounds more like that stylus with rumble to me. They've had patents for analog sticks for a lot longer than last year.

NeonZ

reKon said:
Super Smash Bros 3DS confirmed.

A new Smash Bros is probably the one thing that would convince me to buy a portable system at launch. However, there's no way a Smash Bros is getting released anytime soon, unless it's just a port of SSBM or SSBB.

NeonZ said:
A new Smash Bros is probably the one thing that would convince me to buy a portable system at launch. However, there's no way a Smash Bros is getting released anytime soon, unless it's just a port of SSBM or SSBB.

Actually, a handheld port of SSBM would be pretty cool, and I know a lot of elitists that would gobble it up.

Effect said:
Hmm. What kind of effect to you think the 3D nature of future games for this new system will have on piracy? This isn't simply a software situation here. Nintendo is going to allow games to be specifically dependent upon the actual hardware now. I wouldn't be surprised as well if they rework the game carts as well.

None.

Matt_C

I wonder if their "3D stick" would be like this (NSFW I think). :lol

It would not surprise me if they use a camera to project the 3d image via a tiny lcd screen and a mirror .

I wonder if the older DS games will be projected to 3d or not?

Brimstone said:
I get the impression the stick will be similar to Logitechs space navigator.

spacenavigator-comparison.jpg

It can't be like that because of the natural limitations of hand vs thumb. At most I think it could be pressed in and register as analog, but the twisting and pulling are out of the question.

Matt_C said:
I wonder if their "3D stick" would be like this (NSFW I think). :lol

It would not surprise me if they use a camera to project the 3d image via a tiny lcd screen and a mirror .

I wonder if the older DS games will be projected to 3d or not?

The first picture doesn't show anything.

And no, DS games won't be in 3D.
The games actually have to be programmed to use two images in order to make it 3D.

Effect said:
The carts will definitely be reworked, but piracy will still happen. Emulation will obviously be a challenge for people trying to run the games on other devices though. 3D portable games on dual screens is pretty damn proprietary at the moment.

Matt_C

AceBandage said:
The first picture doesn't show anything.

And no, DS games won't be in 3D.
The games actually have to be programmed to use two images in order to make it 3D.

I was referring to this page where a 3d stick is portrayed, which is a joke onto itself ;)

reKon

Banned
NeonZ said:

Yeah, that's true. If it did happen, I would not be ashamed to buy a DS and play infront of anyone (ok, I don't dislike handhelds and I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but I've never seen a student on campus playing a DS in public :lol ).

Anyways, just believe.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Nintendo will likely go with the same NDS cart form factor (for backwards compatibility), only instead of using just flash storage they'll use holo storage for newer 3D games that will require higher capacities.

Next-Gen DS Card Patent

I had once thought that this would be for a universal format (that would also play in the next home console), but this 3DS really has thrown me...Nintendo seems to want to further wedge the difference between console & portable and keep them seperate lines. It would be very unlikely that their next home console would require 3D (go buy a new 3D TV or apply a goofy screen over your current one) just for some type of universal approach to both handhelds & home home consoles like I had once thought. This really could mean ANYTHING for the next Wii...possibly even holographic projection...or maybe they can possition the current (or future model) Wii as the at-home hub/network for their mobile gaming world domination plans with the next DS?

I have a theory that 3D isn't all that the next DS will be about, it's just what they're telling us (and the competition) for the time being in order to throw us all off even further when it's unveiled.

DrGAKMAN said:
I have a theory that 3D isn't all that the next DS will be about, it's just what they're telling us (and the competition) for the time being in order to throw us all off even further when it's unveiled.

I think that's a given. I seem to remember that the DS was first unveiled without mention of the second screen being touch based.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Linkzg said:
It can't be like that because of the natural limitations of hand vs thumb. At most I think it could be pressed in and register as analog, but the twisting and pulling are out of the question.

Yeah.

Something like a Microsoft Dual Strike with a screen attached would probably work better anyway.

dualstrike_sm.jpg

Somnid

LegendofJoe said:
hmmm, I wonder how long it'll take before the backlash effect kicks in after Zelda is shown. 5 minutes? 10?

Once it releases. Then 5 years later it will be considered among the best the series has to offer because Zelda fans can't make up their minds.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Deku said:
3D stick is very likely an analog stick. it's for movement in 3D space.

I think you guys are overthinking this. Nintendo is copying the PSP in this case. Not the first time they've copied sony either.
Everyone copies everyone one, its the way life is.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
You have the heavily rumored Tegra powering it and even if the the Tegra rumor is false that doesn't mean it won't be GCN/Wii-level graphics given the smaller lower resolution screen(s) and given the added 3D (that the Wii can't do without glasses).

It's within the realm of reality that this thing could rival the Wii's visuals ~while the Wii is still on the market~ even!

It'd be somewhat sad/ironic that RE5, SF IV & (a proper) GTA could come to this DS before they'd come to Wii. And let's not get started on what this means for PSP's only ace-in-the-hole: Monster Hunter!

Deku

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Nintendo will likely go with the same NDS cart form factor (for backwards compatibility), only instead of using just flash storage they'll use holo storage for newer 3D games that will require higher capacities.

Next-Gen DS Card Patent

I had once thought that this would be for a universal format (that would also play in the next home console), but this 3DS really has thrown me...Nintendo seems to want to further wedge the difference between console & portable and keep them seperate lines. It would be very unlikely that their next home console would require 3D (go buy a new 3D TV or apply a goofy screen over your current one) just for some type of universal approach to both handhelds & home home consoles like I had once thought. This really could mean ANYTHING for the next Wii...possibly even holographic projection...or maybe they can possition the current (or future model) Wii as the at-home hub/network for their mobile gaming world domination plans with the next DS?

What's holo storage, and is it even in production?

Somnid

DrGAKMAN said:
You have the heavily rumored Tegra powering it and even if the the Tegra rumor is false that doesn't mean it won't be GCN/Wii-level graphics given the smaller lower resolution screen(s) and given the added 3D (that the Wii can't do without glasses).

It's within the realm of reality that this thing could rival the Wii's visuals ~while the Wii is still on the market~ even!

It'd be somewhat sad/ironic that RE5, SF IV & (a proper) GTA could come to this DS before they'd come to Wii. And let's not get started on what this means for PSP's only ace-in-the-hole: Monster Hunter!

Don't do this. I've seen it enough times to know how it ends.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Branduil said:
Can't wait to see hundreds of game titles with a "3D" tacked on the end.
Just think of all the Holographic/Lenticular cases!

Jaruru

the hype train will be HYPED this year without falling or turning back in time
3DS + Zelda Wii confirmed

smart decision, make the 3DS alone / Wii alone don't require glasses/HDTV to enjoy the full potential of the machine, this helps on market share for sure

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Branduil said:
Can't wait to see hundreds of game titles with a "3D" tacked on the end.

I have a hope...that the 3D-ness of this portable will help in weeding out some of the shovelware. Economically we need less games...and more quality.

It could be that some developers/publishers will be negative about Nintendo going 3D as another crutch excuse not to make games for them, but...if they're smart...they'll look at the history of Nintendo's dominance in portables and go for it. Something I've noticed with a lot of Nintendo support is that publishers tend to make & market their DS & Wii game versions at the same time...it might help them along if both the 3DS & Wii can share a lil' bit of the visual assets? Of course, this could also lead to some of the same problems the PSP games had in trying to be like their console counter-parts...but by Nintendo going with motion on the Wii and 3D on the 3DS, the two versions would/could/should be different enough to negate some of those problems

oh my god a viewtiful joe for 3DS (that's like a GOOD double trouble) that parodies prominent 3D movies of the past and present would be amazing

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Maya looking so real you feel like you could put your face into the screen and do a motorboat!

Maya's not around anymore, silly. And she's only got those when she's channeling her dead sister's ghost.

You'll have to motorboat creepy Hobo Dad Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom