• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

GDGF said:
I'm actually wondering if the majority of 3DS software we see at E3 is going to be proof of concept stuff or (and lets hope) near finished product.
With the DS there were a ton of tech demos (the submarine game, a 3D Sonic, air hockey, etc.). But on the other hand, this time Nintendo is ahead of the competition and not in such a hurry so maybe they've had more time to prepare.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
GCX said:
With the DS there were a ton of tech demos (the submarine game, a 3D Sonic, air hockey, etc.). But on the other hand, this time Nintendo is ahead of the competition and not in such a hurry so maybe they've had more time to prepare.

I forgot, I'm still waiting on that submarine game. That was a pretty sweet concept.

GCX said:

This. Especially if they are gonna shoot for a holiday 2010 release this year.
(Which would be a no-brainer)

luffeN

wow, those mockups look good, great job :)

a little ot: because there is so much new stuff going to be seen at E3, can we like get a sub forum for E3? so a new tab besides the 3 existing ones?

upandaway

banKai said:
wow, those mockups look good, great job :)

a little ot: because there is so much new stuff going to be seen at E3, can we like get a sub forum for E3? so a new tab besides the 3 existing ones?
While E3 is going on, pretty much nothing else happens (not even discussion on forums because everyone are watching E3), so the tab you're talking about is really the the Gaming tab temporarily.

Mithos

out0v0rder said:
animated-magic-eye-1.gif

holy shit

Hehe, nice..

And the different mock-ups by people, just, just DAMN!.

Instro

GDGF said:
I'm actually wondering if the majority of 3DS software we see at E3 is going to be proof of concept stuff or (and lets hope) near finished product.

Well at the very least there will be first party games to showoff, I mean Pokemon must well into development if Coro Coro is going to have some details on it next month. It seems to me that winning over the press with this handheld at E3 is going to rely heavily on hands on experiences, so I'm thinking Nintendo will have a number of good games to show off for people to play.

john tv

It'll definitely have a d-pad as well, even if it does have an analog stick. It's backwards compatible -- it's kind of necessary.

rezuth

john tv said:
It'll definitely have a d-pad as well, even if it does have an analog stick. It's backwards compatible -- it's kind of necessary.
How is it a necessary? It's not like the analog stick can't move in the directions of a d-pad. Not that I think it will get a analog stick, it won't.

Mockup update:

Added 2 small speakers at bottom of unit to produce 3D sound (optional feature that would require programming, like rumble), changed color, adjusted overall layout, added new hinge and strap. :D

3ds_mockup3_ryancooper2010.jpg

rezuth said:
How is it a necessary? It's not like the analog stick can't move in the directions of a d-pad. Not that I think it will get a analog stick, it won't.
Well, I wouldn't like to play games like picross with an analogstick. Pressing up/up/left/up/left/down is just more comfortable and quick with a dpad.

Acosta

rezuth said:

Moving d-pad designed games with a analog sucks big way. And of course it will have an analog, the thing is designed for 3D games after all. It will have both, I'm pretty sure.

Barrett2

Anyone else get excited every time they see this thread? I can't remember the last time I felt giddy at the thought of a new system like this. I just hope and pray that the 3D effect doesn't turn out to be some gimmick that doesn't meet our reasonable expectations.

Xater

:Motorbass said:
Well, I wouldn't like to play games like picross with an analogstick. Pressing up/up/left/up/left/down is just more comfortable and quick with a dpad.

And navigating menus is way better with a dpad. I don#t want to do that with an analog stick ever!

goomba

Banned
Acosta said:
Moving d-pad designed games with a analog sucks big way. And of course it will have an analog, the thing is designed for 3D games after all. It will have both, I'm pretty sure.

Considering the DS's flagship launch title was Mario 64, the 3d analog stick defining game. I dont see why the 3DS will have one if the DS didn't.

goomba said:
Considering the DS's flagship launch title was Mario 64, the 3d analog stick defining game. I dont see why the 3DS will have one if the DS didn't.

The Nikkei report said it would have one, and they have been very reliable when it comes to Nintendo hardware information.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wonder if both screens will be 3D or just the top one.

GDGF

Soothsayer
More Speculation:

Infoworld thinks this might be the touch technology Nintendo is using...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1880..._are_coming_powered_by_quantum_mechanics.html

Infoworld said:
However, a few months ago we reported on new pressure-sensitive touch technology that can add a sense of depth to touch-based devices--technology that Nintendo's display supplier has licensed [Engadget] for a device coming out as soon as April. Hmmm.

I dunno. Sounds expensive. Though it has been licensed by a Nintendo partner, apparently.

Original article:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/games/what-we-may-see-e3-and-what-were-hoping-988

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lawblob said:
Anyone else get excited every time they see this thread? I can't remember the last time I felt giddy at the thought of a new system like this. I just hope and pray that the 3D effect doesn't turn out to be some gimmick that doesn't meet our reasonable expectations.

new hardware reveals, particularly when the manufacturer is touting such an interesting and exciting feature list, always makes me want to kind of lose it with anticipation. it's been since before "the revolution" reveal that i was so genuinely curious about what the hell they were going to do with a system.

Kawaii

If i remember correctly someone from Nintendo has said the succesor to the DS will have 3G, is this just wishfull thinking? Am i making stuff up?

Oh and great jobs on the mockups guys!

Also, put Golden Sun DS as a launchtitle.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh, and here's something funny as hell. This is from an old Gamespot rumor report (2004)

Gamespot said:
RUMOR #2: The Nintendo DS will incorporate 3D technology from Sharp.

Source: UK-based online game mag Gamesindustry.biz.

The official story: A Sharp spokesperson did not confirm nor deny the story. However, given the company's history with Nintendo, the rep added that such news would not be a surprise. E-mails to Nintendo were not returned.

What we heard: Sharp actually stopped by the GameSpot offices to show off its impressive 3D technology, which displays two slightly askew images on a single screen to create the illusion of three dimensions. Apparently someone heard the words "two" and "screen," thought "DS," and started posting away. They might have also remembered the two companies' industry-shattering 1989 collaboration, the Sharp NES TV, and figured one loopy idea warrants another. Still, Nintendo and Sharp's silence could mean they're hiding something--that or they can't be bothered to respond to pesky reporters' idle gossip. It's doubtful that Nintendo could incorporate such premium technology into the DS and keep its price low enough to arouse interest in such a, er, unique system.

Bogus or not bogus?: The thing already has us seeing double. Making it 3D would make millions cockeyed. Bogus.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6087254.html

(Yeah, old I know :lol)

jdforge

Banned
GDGF said:
More Speculation:

Infoworld thinks this might be the touch technology Nintendo is using...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1880..._are_coming_powered_by_quantum_mechanics.html

I dunno. Sounds expensive. Though it has been licensed by a Nintendo partner, apparently.

Original article:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/games/what-we-may-see-e3-and-what-were-hoping-988

Following the breadcrumbs...

http://www.peratech.com/pr_nissha.php

"RICHMOND, North Yorks., England – 26 January 2010 – Peratech Limited, the leader in new materials designed for touch technology solutions, has announced that Nissha, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of touch screen technology, has signed a $1.4 million licensing agreement to use Peratech’s award winning Quantum Tunnelling Composites (QTC) to create next generation touch screens with 3D input for mobile phones and portable electronic devices. The licensing agreement gives Nissha exclusive worldwide rights to use the technology for screens smaller than 3.5 by 5.5 inches for an initial period of 1 year."

"Chris Lussey, joint CEO of Peratech, commented, “QTC changes the game when it comes to human machine interface design with capabilities to build truly 3D user interfaces in small, low power devices. This three dimensionality cannot be matched with existing resistive and capacitive technologies. Using products with an embedded QTC switch consumers could use this third dimension to search deeper into a file structure simply by pressing harder, control an avatar’s movement through a game more naturally or create the thin or thick lines which are vital for Far East characters.”

QTC technology has no moving parts and requires no air gap between contacts. This makes it extremely reliable and suitable for integration into the thinnest electronic designs and with industry leading operational life. With QTC, touch screens can be made feature rich and ultra-thin allowing for the development of even slimmer, lighter weight and lower-power portable devices.
Takao Hashimoto, Director, CTO of Nissha and General Manager of Technology Research & Development, added, “QTC will be a disruptive technology for mobile phones enabling thinner phones to be designed with amazing new input interfaces.”"

"About Nissha

Nissha Printing is a future-oriented corporation that supplies advanced colour concepts, designs, and functions from its base in Kyoto to customers throughout the world using its own unique technology based on a foundation of traditional printing techniques.

Founded in 1929 and headquartered in Kyoto, Japan"

Hmmmmm

evala

Banned
EatChildren said:
I wonder if both screens will be 3D or just the top one.
i wonder about the same thing, if the bottom screen is 3D too how will it would be a touch screen too, dunno probably i'm wrong!

wrowa

needlejuice said:

Come on, at least read the last page of a thread before posting.

It was posted on this very page that Nissha is a partner of Nintendo (that's why there is a DS on their page, because the DS used their technology) and that they're developing some kind of new touch screen. Whether or not that is of importance for the new DS remains to be seen.

jdforge

Banned
I think if you read the PR (I posted on this very page), it's pretty obvious that a new form of touch screen interface is coming from Nintendo's partner.

I hope Big N keeping somthing to show at E3 reallly odd telling us this when it so far away

Wii HD show at E3 and they didt want the shock of 3DS to over shadow it? :lol

edit Wii 3D then?

Frankly, I hope this kills the Wii HD speculation once and for all. Seriously, wouldn't Wii HD seem underwhelming as hell now that this has been announced?

Nimyh

Banned
evala said:
i wonder about the same thing, if the bottom screen is 3D too how will it would be a touch screen too, dunno probably i'm wrong!
I wonder if it's even possible for us humans to deal with two 3D screens, don't you need four eyes or something? :lol

filopilo

probably already posted ? :

3D Eye Solutions, Inc. announced that the Company has begun beta testing for its glasses free 3D application for the video game platforms such as, Nintendo® Wii, Apple® iPhone, Macintosh, and PC. 3D Eye Solutions is developing a new render engine that is more flexible in design and can be integrated with multiple gaming systems. 3D Eye Solutions new render engine fills a need in the $46.5 Billion video game industry as video game manufacturers release 3D ready hand held and console systems. According to an article in Bloomberg Business Week yesterday, Nintendo® announced that "it will sell a 3-D version of its DS handheld player that doesn't require the user to wear glasses. Nintendo, who's DS handheld sold more than 125 million units worldwide since December 2004, plans to disclose details of the new model at the E3 show in Los Angeles on June 15. The device will go on sale in the fiscal year starting April 1."

3D Eye Solutions has already started beta testing of its glasses free 3D application for the Nintendo® DS, Microsoft® Xbox, and the Sony® PlayStation® and expects its Beta Test to be completed by the end of the third quarter. The application is based on a server and new file format that will enable state synchronization of player appliances and the server. The application is developed mainly for use on glasses free systems, however, it is also compatible with 3D video game systems with glasses. In addition, this application will enable 3D Eye Solutions to be able to convert in "real time" across multiple platforms including cinema and television.

"We believe the future of 3D is coming to all markets and at a fast pace. We feel our new render engine will fulfill the gaps in the industry as it was developed around our conversion processing and delivery of content in a compelling way. Our dedication and development plans in the video game arena are in tune with the industry and we are excited to be a part of this revolution," stated Michael Gibilisco, CEO of 3D Eye Solutions, Inc.

http://www.stereoscopy.com/news/index.html

Dandy

DeaconKnowledge said:
Frankly, I hope this kills the Wii HD speculation once and for all. Seriously, wouldn't Wii HD seem underwhelming as hell now that this has been announced?
That's why they're gonna announce Wii H(3)D. E3 is gonna be awesome.

Nimyh

Banned
The funny thing about it is that is says nowhere that they have anything to do with the 3DS.. they just randomly mention it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
filopilo said:

I don't want to read too much into that, but a tool that converts 2D to 3D in real time could be incredibly useful if you were trying to add a bit of 3D visual pizazz to older games on a hypothetical Virtual Handheld service!

(assuming I'm understanding correctly what 3D Eye solutions is doing, of course)

mclem

HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup update:

Added 2 small speakers at bottom of unit to produce 3D sound (optional feature that would require programming, like rumble), changed color, adjusted overall layout, added new hinge and strap. :D

3ds_mockup3_ryancooper2010.jpg

Would you actually *need* a light telling you that it's 3D or 2D?

Mind you, I guess you could argue the same about whether it's on or off.

Nimyh

Banned
mclem said:
Would you actually *need* a light telling you that it's 3D or 2D?

Mind you, I guess you could argue the same about whether it's on or off.
You would, for the same reasons too. Diagnostics.

I'm not sure about the mock-ups that have been posted, for some reason I'm expecting Nintendo to completely redesign the chassis as the technology involved requires such. The main design issue I see is keeping the width to a minimum, especially with the analogue stick and reinforced hinge.

This thread has made me unimaginably sad. I can't seem to do the cross-eyed version of the stereogram pics -- I can cross my eyes right but the pictures are too blurry to see. :( Must be because of my horrific nearsightedness.

Somnid said:
Have you seen PSP Go sales? Consumers are scared shitless of DD because they still have this concept that data can be owned like property. DD-only won't happen until another generation of people grow up who haven't had that idea drilled into their head.

You sound like such a shill here

"Man I hate how people believe that consumers should have rights that are balanced against those of corporations in the sphere of intellectual property"

"Maybe kids'll be too dumb to think that though"

GamerZero said:
After reading those rumors about Sony possibly 're-launching' the PSPGo, I wonder if this is going to be their responce to Nintendo 3DS or will they reveal a true next-gen successor to the PSP?

Relaunching, I dunno, the Atari Lynx brand would be a more effective response to the 3DS than "relaunching" the PSP Go.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Seconded.

Chittagong

Gold Member
HAL_Laboratory said:

This is starting to be really good. The next adjustments I'd do

- Make D-Pad bigger
- Slightly reduce bezel size on outer edges of screens
- Switch places of D-Pad and analog, place second analog under button cluster symmetrically

Also, I believe the displays will be flush with the surface since they are very likely to be capacitive, so think of both upper and lower areas as one big surface of glass/plastic that has buttons drilled out - iPhone home button style. We can be sure Nintendo will copy Apple. This would make the device look more futuristic too, two shiny surfaces.

Celine

GDGF said:
I don't want to read too much into that, but a tool that converts 2D to 3D in real time could be incredibly useful if you were trying to add a bit of 3D visual pizazz to older games on a hypothetical Virtual Handheld service!

(assuming I'm understanding correctly what 3D Eye solutions is doing, of course)
There is already a similar function in the Hitachi's Woo ooh1 phone ( or whatever it is called ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom