• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
RagnarokX said:
The marketing problem with 3D is that you can't really advertise the actual effects on most televisions and monitors. It sounds like Nintendo has been toying with this idea for a while, and the recent popularity of movies like Avatar in 3D is a good foot in the door for them. Maybe Nintendo will buy advertising time for the 3DS during the previews at blockbuster 3D movies.
Three words:

Word of mouth.

Haunted

RagnarokX said:
The marketing problem with 3D is that you can't really advertise the actual effects on most televisions and monitors. It sounds like Nintendo has been toying with this idea for a while, and the recent popularity of movies like Avatar in 3D is a good foot in the door for them. Maybe Nintendo will buy advertising time for the 3DS during the previews at blockbuster 3D movies.
Showing parallax barrier 3D whose biggest raison d'etre is that it doesn't require glasses in a setting where everyone wears polarised glasses? Oh the irony. :lol
I wonder how feasible this is....I don't know whether there's a difference in results. Or even how easy it would be to transfer parallax barrier footage to be shown on polarisation tech, it would have to be re-shot in any case.

Then again, their current tech is also hard to "just show". Move around and see how the avatar on the screen reacts in sync is something that has to be experienced, it cannot only be conveyed in images. But yeah, stereo 3D images are yet another level of abstraction. It will be challenging for marketing, no doubt.

M3d10n

Pimpbaa said:
Why would any type of games have no place on a handheld?
Just taking a jab at shooters.

Anyway, the touchscreen provides an usable and very flexible alternative for the highly specialized functions of a 2nd stick.

While a 2nd stick does offer advantages (access to two triggers instead of one, better grip) on its limited purpose (1st/3rd person aiming and camera babysitting), packing one into the DS would be akin to shoehorning mouse control in consoles.

Pimpbaa said:
The DS maybe (some 3rd parties did try to replicate console games). But with the 3DS and it's supposed gamecube level graphics and 3D on top of that, you are going to see a lot more interest from western developers and they are going to want to bring their franchises to it. Hell I'm hoping for the rockstar to maybe make a proper GTA for it (San Andreas Stories!)
That's a dangerous slope. Sony learned the hard way that having specs parity with consoles doesn't mean you should flood your handheld with console games.

Billychu said:
I can't imagine that working very well.

Nintendo handhelds have symmetrical designs. If there's room for a stick on one side, there should be room for a second on the other. And it doesn't have to be used! But it should still be there so developers aren't limited.
Because developers have been so limited by only having a single d-pad for the last several years on the DS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pimpbaa said:
The DS maybe (some 3rd parties did try to replicate console games). But with the 3DS and it's supposed gamecube level graphics and 3D on top of that, you are going to see a lot more interest from western developers and they are going to want to bring their franchises to it. Hell I'm hoping for the rockstar to maybe make a proper GTA for it (San Andreas Stories!)

I doubt it. We're due for the next line of handheld systems, so while the 3DS will be GameCube level of graphics (we assume) we can also assume the PSP2 will be souped up too. Whats not to stop a it being a similar situation as it is now?

Not that I'd complain about your scenario though. Why, if the 3DS had strong support from both Western and Eastern developers I'd be over the moon.

Doorman

RagnarokX said:
Ah, but even then they'd probably have to re-render any sort of game video to show during the commercial anyway, since I don't think the technology of a Glasses-needed 3-D cinema is the same as direct feed from a glassesless 3DS. It doesn't really make advertising that much easier or harder than not using the theaters.

Billychu said:
I can't imagine that working very well.

Nintendo handhelds have symmetrical designs. If there's room for a stick on one side, there should be room for a second on the other. And it doesn't have to be used! But it should still be there so developers aren't limited.
Again, it's a matter of Nintendo's list of priorities. To them, which is more important, providing developers with as many options as possible, or presenting a system to the average consumer that doesn't look complicated and intimidating? Nintendo is looking for simplicity, which is why I don't see even having both a d-pad and analog stick. It'll either be one to replace the pad, or none at all and some other 3-D control solution.

AniHawk

RagnarokX said:

Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part One sounds like a good candidate if it meets its November release date.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
HAL_Laboratory said:
Because developers have been so limited by only having a single d-pad for the last several years on the DS.

actually the face buttons doubled as a dpad for lefties when the game was dpad+stylus. It'd suck for lefties to not have an anolog stick on such games.

Emitan

Again, it's a matter of Nintendo's list of priorities. To them, which is more important, providing developers with as many options as possible, or presenting a system to the average consumer that doesn't look complicated and intimidating? Nintendo is looking for simplicity, which is why I don't see even having both a d-pad and analog stick. It'll either be one to replace the pad, or none at all and some other 3-D control solution.
If it only has a stick and no d-pad it makes sense. But if they pull a PSP, I'll be angry. I guess I was assuming we'd get d-pad and analog support. Just having an analog stick is starting to make sense to me now.

M3d10n

...or maybe they'll make the d-pad and the face buttons pressure-sensitive, so you can input analog directions with them? The games would then decide whether to read analog or digital input values depending on the situation (menu navigation versus gameplay).

Galactic Fork said:
actually the face buttons doubled as a dpad for lefties when the game was dpad+stylus. It'd suck for lefties to not have an anolog stick on such games.
Well, I imagine it sucks to be a lefty, but surely there will be some way of solving this. Maybe they will make the left and right panels transferable/modular so you can set it up for left/right handed individuals upon purchase?

Yeah right, but it'd be an easy fix. I just really don't see Nintendo adding an extra analog stick to the 3DS. In fact I am convinced they won't.
M3d10n said:
...or maybe they'll make the d-pad and the face buttons pressure-sensitive, so you can input analog directions with them? The games would then decide whether to read analog or digital input values depending on the situation (menu navigation versus gameplay).
Equally possible, and more practical.

I've been wondering how powerful this puppy is actually going to have to be to render Gamecube graphics level graphics in 3D. If the total screen resolution is 480x640 (two screens at 480x320) and in order to make the image 3d, it needs to render each image twice, then it's going to have to be quite a bit MORE powerful than a Gamecube...

AniHawk said:
Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part One sounds like a good candidate if it meets its November release date.

THey could also advertise during all those 3D tv shows and games premiering on the late summer and fall window. But how will they advertise in stores, more robust game kiosks?WalMart TV will have to be in 3D

Medalion

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
THey could also advertise during all those 3D tv shows and games premiering on the late summer and fall window. But how will they advertise in stores, more robust game kiosks?WalMart TV will have to be in 3D

How did they advertise portables before they hooked em up to TVs? Do that.

upandaway

I would like to remind everyone I was the first in the thread to propose the ingenious idea of an analogue stick that is the d-pad.

RagnarokX

AniHawk said:

"Coming in 2011... You will be able to play games that look like this... without those stupid glasses you are wearing right now!"

Koren

HAL_Laboratory said:
Well, I imagine it sucks to be a lefty, but surely there will be some way of solving this.
Shiggy is left-handed (although he said he got used to "normal" controls) If they can do something about it without cluttering the system, I think they'll fo it.

Emitan

RagnarokX said:
"Coming in 2011... You will be able to play games that look like this... without those stupid glasses you are wearing right now!"
Look at yourself, now back to me. Now at yourself, now back to me. Sadly you look ridiculous, unlike me. But with Nintendo's 3DS game system, you could look like me. Look away, look back. Where are we? We're in the park with those games you love. Look again! The games are now are in 3D! Non ridiculous 3D is possible with the Nintendo 3DS. I'm on a Yoshi.

Rpgmonkey

The past couple of mock-ups have gotten me kinda pumped for this...

Billychu said:
Look at yourself, now back to me. Now at yourself, now back to me. Sadly you look ridiculous, unlike me. But with Nintendo's 3DS game system, you could look like me. Look away, look back. Where are we? We're in the park with those games you love. Look again! The games are now are in 3D! Non ridiculous 3D is possible with the Nintendo 3DS. I'm on a Yoshi.

:lol

yankee666

Gold Member
Fourth Storm said:
I've been wondering how powerful this puppy is actually going to have to be to render Gamecube graphics level graphics in 3D. If the total screen resolution is 480x640 (two screens at 480x320) and in order to make the image 3d, it needs to render each image twice, then it's going to have to be quite a bit MORE powerful than a Gamecube...

Thats one of the reasons im still belive that this handheld is gonna have only one screen. To screens would need another processor, much more drain power to the battery, more expensive. I dont know how Nintendo is gonna pull this off, but i think that watching one screen in 3D when the below one isnt maybe is very weird (assuming that the screens doesnt have nearly any separation)

plank

What about full blown holograms are there any feasible tech that can be refined enough to be used in a portable device?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
plank said:
What about full blown holograms are there any feasible tech that can be refined enough to be used in a portable device?

No

Durante

For what it's worth, I saw a glasses-free 3D display (from Philips) for the first time recently, and I wasn't very impressed. Even at the best position I could find the stereo separation and overall sharpness wasn't as good as my 3D vision setup. I hope the 3DS solution is better.

plank said:
I'm not saying that's what Nintendo is doing. I just wonder is it possible.
No.

plank said:
Technically, yeah, it could be done. Holograms are very much a reality in this day and age. Now price...well, that is an entirely different problem...

There was that rumor that nintendo was working with hologram tech though, and the father of mario did say one of his goals was to have gaming encompass an entire room, bypassing television altogether, so at least we know they have a desire to actually pursue it if given the opportunity.

Medalion said:
Portable holodeck, of course it would come from Nintendo first, a video game company.
Well, I dont think anyone would consider them to invent it, but it is safe to say that they would be the first to incorporate it in a gaming device. Given their history, we would really have no choice but to bet on them to do it first.

RagnarokX said:

All screenshots and videos to be released in cross-eyed format confirmed.

hipgnosis

Billychu said:
This is some deep shit.

Durante

abstract alien said:
Technically, yeah, it could be done. Holograms are very much a reality in this day and age.
On a handheld? Link please. The only devices I know of (which are all still a long way from being marketable) are far too big and power hungry to be even remotely considered for such a use.

And that's disregarding the entire problem of actually rendering a holographic game.

EmCeeGramr said:
All screenshots and videos to be released in cross-eyed format confirmed.
They can just release them as .jps :p

WillyFive

Billychu said:

Brilliant.

Billychu said:

There's no chance the actual advertisement will be this good. None.

Durante said:
On a handheld? Link please. The only devices I know of (which are all still a long way from being marketable) are far too big and power hungry to be even remotely considered for such a use.

And that's disregarding the entire problem of actually rendering a holographic game.

They can just release them as .jps :p
Well, I'm not saying we could get Zelda running in full color, high def, holographic 3D. I'm just saying that we could(once again, if money wasnt an issue at all) get a very, very simple projection up. The battery life would be abysmal, and it wouldn't be able to have any sort of interaction, but I think we could get a crude, primary version of one. It would suck terribly, but he was just asking if the concept was remotely possible. It isn't feasible at all though, which I completely agree with.

M3d10n

abstract alien said:
Technically, yeah, it could be done. Holograms are very much a reality in this day and age. Now price...well, that is an entirely different problem...

There was that rumor that nintendo was working with hologram tech though, and the father of mario did say one of his goals was to have gaming encompass an entire room, bypassing television altogether, so at least we know they have a desire to actually pursue it if given the opportunity.
Now this is taking a turn to the crazy. They were rumoured to be involved with holographic storage. That's a completely different beast than holographic displays, which, AFAIK don't exist.

Analog holography is real and has been around for 50+ years. The closest you can get to digital holography is printing 3D models/scenes into holographic film. Real-time holograms would require a scene/model to be displayed from a high number of viewpoints at the same time, since that's basically what an holographic photo does.

Or maybe you're referring to volumetric displays, like the ones used in medical imaging? Those require quite some real-state to work and have a gigantic limitation: the generated images are always translucent and ghost-like. It also only works for displaying objects, not scenes.

Jme

M3d10n said:
Now this is taking a turn to the crazy. They were rumoured to be involved with holographic storage. That's a completely different beast than holographic displays, which, AFAIK don't exist.

It's not without reason - there were patents uncovered that suggest it.
Wiki Link

Koren

Durante said:
This is not completely true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1vFTQOWN4

(It's obviously not remotely handheld ready ;) )
And I don't think this qualify as holography (which reproduce actual light structure), especially since the effect only work in horizontal direction (they use the same idea as the DSiWare game for vertical motion) but that's indeed a really nice example of volumetric display.

Branduil

Fourth Storm said:
Whatever the total resolution of the two screens is, each half of the 3D image will only use half of the horizontal resolution. Assuming it uses the Sharp tech.

Koren said:
And I don't think this qualify as holography (which reproduce actual light structure), especially since the effect only work in horizontal direction (they use the same idea as the DSiWare game for vertical motion) but that's indeed a really nice example of volumetric display.
So where exactly does volumetric end and true holography begin? Is it when a display uses only light to display something?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
abstract alien said:
So where exactly does volumetric end and true holography begin? Is it when a display uses light to display something?

I'd say it's when it uses light with no added physical media. Those mist holograms are cool, but they are just projecting displays on a cloud (plus I don't think they do real 3d).

I do like the spinning spiral 3d displays though. Don't see much use for them for the public. I want to reach inside and interact.

Edit: Actually, I'm just thinking of the popular sci fi idea of holograms...

Galactic Fork said:
I'd say it's when it uses light with no added physical media. Those mist holograms are cool, but they are just projecting displays on a cloud (plus I don't think they do real 3d).

I do like the spinning spiral 3d displays though. Don't see much use for them for the public. I want to reach inside and interact.
Gotcha. I was under the impression that volumetric was indeed a basic version of actual holography, so that is my ignorance showing.

Also, here is another display from the same team using live chat. Not sure how this one is done, but it looks even more sci-fi than the first one, with the whole glitching sides and all lol
http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/3DTeleconferencing/

ghstwrld

Billychu said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom