• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arucardo

EVIL said:
the 16:9 3d screens are not much bigger then the current dslite screens.
If there's any truth to the rumors then what's the point of sticking a smaller 16:9 screen below the big one? I admit that a slightly wider handheld compared to a DS Lite or an XL wouldn't be all bad.

Kilrogg said:
A question about 3D + stylus interaction:

Doesn't the 3D effect break when something gets between your eyes and the screen?
In the same way as if something is blocking the view of one of your eyes in the real world. Or for that matter, the way the effect of seeing anything breaks for a regular DS game when it's blocked by a stylus.

M3d10n

I don't think there's anything forcing Nintendo to use exactly the same screen size and aspect ratio as Sharp's demos. The DS, DSLite, DSi and DSiXL all have custom sized screens tailored for their needs, there's no reason they couldn't do it with a 3D screen.

If they make the 3DS as wide as the DSiXL but as tall as the DSi, and the reduced screen gap, they can fit wider screens (not necessarily 16:9) and have a slim looking form factor.

JoshuaJSlone said:
In the same way as if something is blocking the view of one of your eyes in the real world. Or for that matter, the way the effect of seeing anything breaks for a regular DS game when it's blocked by a stylus.

I don't think he meant it that way. I believe he meant when the stylus walks "into" a pop-out effect. Because you'll have the illusion of a solid thing popping out of your screen, but there's nothing there when the stylus "touching" it. But if you have all 3D effects happen behind the screen you won't get this problem, as it would be equivalent of looking through a window.

M3d10n

Snytbaggen said:
I don't think he meant it that way. I believe he meant when the stylus walks "into" a pop-out effect. Because you'll have the illusion of a solid thing popping out of your screen, but there's nothing there when the stylus "touching" it. But if you have all 3D effects happen behind the screen you won't get this problem, as it would be equivalent of looking through a window.
More or less like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OemOETq5lak

Snytbaggen said:
Ahh, right, right.

1-D_FTW

The Sharp 3D is 3.4 inches diagonal (3.0 inches wide).

The stock DS screen is 3.0 inches diagonal (2.4 inches wide).

They're similar height.

Here's quick cutouts at approximate dimensions:

2q0jb5y.jpg

It doesn't look nearly as half-assed as those mockups make it. And it saves Nintendo money, requires less CPU resources for the inventory/map screen, and gives you an extra .6 inches for controls if you do slide-out.

Machado said:
will this bring down ds lite prices to...say $79??? or am I dreaming just too much?

No.
Though, all DS models are getting a price cut this week in Japan and Europe, just not that large of a pricecut.

Hobbun

1-D_FTW said:
The Sharp 3D is 3.4 inches diagonal (3.0 inches wide).

The stock DS screen is 3.0 inches diagonal (2.4 inches wide).

They're similar height.

Here's quick cutouts at approximate dimensions:

2q0jb5y.jpg

It doesn't look nearly as half-assed as those mockups make it. And it saves Nintendo money, requires less CPU resources for the inventory/map screen, and gives you an extra .6 inches for controls if you do slide-out.

And the DSi XL is 4 inches diagonal, correct?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Different ratios for the touch and main screen seem totally reasonable.

miladesn said:
What is this? couldn't they just turn the thing on and take picture with something other than vga cellphone cam? fake.

If they did, it would show us all that they're just playing another version of Submarine Invasion from the Popstation.

DonMigs85

I wonder if it might resemble the new Pokedex for Black and White (There's a history of them resembling Nintendo handhelds, after all).

Also remember that the leaked pics for the PS3 Slim and PSP Go weren't high quality either.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
DonMigs85 said:
I wonder if it might resemble the new Pokedex seen here (there's a history of Pokedexes resembling Nintendo handhelds, after all)

That thing is physically impossible. its a slide and a flip? Or is it 2 different models?

Also remember that the leaked pics for the PS3 Slim and PSP Go weren't high quality either.

Look at the shadows on the buttons. Its a fake.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
M3d10n said:

Not exactly, but more or less, yeah (the video is nice by the way, thanks for the link). Basically, the image looks 3D when you look at it, but as soon as something gets in the way (like your hand holding the stylus hitting the screen), everything looks flat, like on a regular 2D screen, as if the 3D effect was temporarily turned off. Is that what happens, or do the depth and pop-out effects work anyway?

[EDIT] Hmm, looking at Hobbun's picture, it doesn't look that bad, but I hope the screen ratios will be identical on both screens anyway.

DonMigs85

Router said:
That thing is physically impossible. its a slide and a flip? Or is it 2 different models?

Look at the shadows on the buttons. Its a fake.
You have a point. The bottom half looks like a shopped DS Lite. I don't think Nintendo would alter the diamond/cross layout of the face buttons too.

Router said:

Didnt some present that Pokemon Pokedex theory yesterday in here too?

Regardless, that would just be an odd way to play videogames on, not to mention its a dual screen slider and give no room to hold the game with having one hand permentantly on the screen in horizontal mode.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
AceBandage said:
I think that unless it starts with a vowel, you take the first letter and put it at the end with an "ay".

I thought if it ended with a silent vowel it was different...

Wikipedia says that doesn't matter though so okay I guess you're right.

I dont see why the thing would be a slide unless the new 3DS store sells movies and the like that would benefit from a "closed" slider viewing position.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I dont see why the thing would be a slide unless the new 3DS store sells movies and the like that would benefit from a "closed" slider viewing position.

Well, aside from movies (which is possible, given recent Nintendo trademarks), it would also be used for casual games, similar to those on the iPhone.
Games that require tilt only and some touch screen.

selig

Banned
okay, predicting it now: IF 3DS uses such a ridiculous cinema-format screen, the 3DS will be a slide-design, not clamshell.

Hobbun

So, do you think the analog stick is going to be an actual 'stick' or do you think it will it be a nub like the PSP?

I can see reasons for both. Having an actual stick would be nice, never liked using the PSP's analog stick with the games, just never felt right with how short it was. But then I can see that kind of design being necessary due to the limited space being a handheld.

Most of the mock ups have been with with actual sticks, so I assume that is what most feel we will receive?

Hobbun said:
So, do you think the analog stick is going to be an actual 'stick' or do you think it will it be a nub like the PSP?

I can see reasons for both. Having an actual stick would be nice, never liked using the PSP's analog stick with the games, just never felt right with how short it was. But then I can see that kind of design being necessary due to the limited space being a handheld.

Most of the mock ups have been with with actual sticks, so I assume that is what most feel we will receive?

Either way would be fine, as long as it was positioned well and wasn't horrible like the original PSP nubs.

I wonder if an updated stylus could double as a stick? Have a hole with the analog innards in place, and you just shove the stylus in there for a stick.

KAL2006

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:

playing with just the top screen for casual touch games. Also it seems to be more better for playing games when the screen is turned. I can already see games like Brain Age and Nintendogs, only requiring the top screen.

Hobbun

comedy bomb said:
I wonder if an updated stylus could double as a stick? Have a hole with the analog innards in place, and you just shove the stylus in there for a stick.

That would be too long. Even with an actual stick, you want to be able to navigate the analog stick with your thumb. If you used an actual stylus, you would need to use multiple fingers. Which then in turn would make it difficult to use the shoulder button. Besides it just not 'feeling right' in not being able to just use your thumb.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gamer @ Heart said:

Either way we've heard that the screens are almost gapless (or are gapless?) so it's hard to imagine a fold type.

The pokedex tells us 2 things, no gap and it slides, this I am like 80% sure of.

sprsk said:
Either way we've heard that the screens are almost gapless (or are gapless?) so it's hard to imagine a fold type.

The pokedex tells us 2 things, no gap and it slides, this I am like 80% sure of.
But slide adds a gap in a different direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom