• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

sprsk said:
Either way we've heard that the screens are almost gapless (or are gapless?) so it's hard to imagine a fold type.
If they put the hinges on the sides like someone mocked up a long time ago, then they can go clamshell with no gap.

Hobbun

upandaway said:
If they put the hinges on the sides like someone mocked up a long time ago, then they can go clamshell with no gap.

I would think of that as a design flaw, though. I could see a lot of people hitting the hinges every time they set their 3DS down and therefore weakening, and maybe eventually breaking the hinge.

Although what am I saying, it's not like the hinge was all that strong already, at least for the DSLite.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Varjet said:
But B&W aren't 3DS games, so why would they design the Pokedex to look like one?

It's just whatever the current system is correct?

I also believe the graphics in B/W are done the way they are because there will be some sort of backwards functionality with the 3DS.

Varjet said:
But B&W aren't 3DS games, so why would they design the Pokedex to look like one?

No clue.
I'm still trying to figure out why B&W are DS games anyway.
Would have been the perfect launch title for 3DS.

Taker666

Gamer @ Heart said:
I dont see why the thing would be a slide unless the new 3DS store sells movies and the like that would benefit from a "closed" slider viewing position.

If Nintendo don't go after the 3D movie market..then they are just plain dumb.

Be it by download..or by having the movies available at retail for $20 a pop..it's something they should be doing for launch IMO.

Kids would screaming at their parents to get them a 3DS if Disney and Dreamworks 3D films are lining the shelves (I'd probably by half a dozen myself)....

...and Nintendo should be moving heaven and earth to get Avatar on the 3DS day one (sadly I'm not convinced they will..but they really should).

They have a massive opportunity to grab a chunk of the 3D movie market..before rival devices get a chance to include a 3D screen of their own.

AceBandage said:
No clue.

I would assume it's for assurance to third parties that their games are vital for a successful launch of the system.

AceBandage said:
No clue.

well, how many people own a DS? how many people do you think will down a 3DS by the time Black and White come out?

you can't expect everyone to go out and buy the next hardware for one game even if it is a new pokemon. Softwares sales for black and white on the DS will be much greater because there are more DS users. Also consider that it will most likely be backwards compatible, meaning 3DS users can still buy and play it, but it won't alienate 3DS owners.

another question would be why the recent surge of PSP games are coming out if Sony was planning a PSP2. I mean, with the exception of the new Monster Hunter on PSP selling in Japan, the PSP foundered in the western market. Things like PE 3rd birthday, Agito XIII, new God of War, etc.

Nintendo doesn't have that much software coming out for the DS. Off the top of my head, there is the new GoldenSun and Pokemon. Some games are just coming to the states like DQ9 and that Final Fantasy Four Light Warriors thing, but most games, even third party, seem about done.

Well, Pokemon would sell regardless of what they put it on.
And putting it on the 3DS would boost initial sales of the system.
But I do see the point in allowing third parties to get in on the ground floor.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Taker666 said:
If Nintendo don't go after the 3D movie market..then they are just plain dumb.

Be it by download..or by having the movies available at retail for $20 a pop..it's something they should be doing for launch IMO.

Kids would screaming at their parents to get them a 3DS if Disney and Dreamworks 3D films are lining the shelves (I'd probably by half a dozen myself)....

...and Nintendo should be moving heaven and earth to get Avatar on the 3DS day one (sadly I'm not convinced they will..but they really should).

They have a massive opportunity to grab a chunk of the 3D movie market..before rival devices get a chance to include a 3D screen of their own.

Because Nintendo is all about movies, right?

AceBandage said:
Well, Pokemon would sell regardless of what they put it on.
And putting it on the 3DS would boost initial sales of the system.
But I do see the point in allowing third parties to get in on the ground floor.

I can understand having a low opinion of people and their buying habits if you read the recent iphone threads, but not everyone would go out to spend ~$200 on the hardware and $30-50 on the game. It will boost sales of hardware a lot, but it would definitely limit the software sales. These games are still marketed to kids.

sprsk said:
Either way we've heard that the screens are almost gapless (or are gapless?) so it's hard to imagine a fold type.
Where did we hear that? Nintendo's never hinted at anything like that...it's something a certain group of people wish for, and thus speculate about, though...

Dreamwriter said:
Where did we hear that? Nintendo's never hinted at anything like that...it's something a certain group of people wish for, and thus speculate about, though...

It's what people have been hearing about the system, particularly at GDC.

Another problem I just realized for screens of different size and resolution: screenshots are gonna be messed up if you want to display both screens at once.

Assuming the resolution is 800 x 480 for a single screen, then combined both screen of the same resolution into one screen would mean 960p for the 3DS. That would be fucking crazy. The current Sub-HD twins can barely handle 720p, I'm not feeling very good about the 3DS delivering in either visuals or battery life.

Cow Mengde said:
Assuming the resolution is 800 x 480 for a single screen, then combined both screen of the same resolution into one screen would mean 960p for the 3DS. That would be fucking crazy. The current Sub-HD twins can barely handle 720p, I'm not feeling very good about the 3DS delivering in either visuals or battery life.
That's in 2D mode. Resolution in 3D mode is half that.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I did make a "gapless" concept to go along with that rumor...

DrGAKMAN3DSclosescreens2.jpg

It worked by having the top & bottom screens only having a flexible seam between them and the bottom hinge being under the top of the bottom screen with the top hinges connecting on either side of it. With such a design though, I had to take into account that the viewing angle of both screens would need to be the same (why a best image?). But then there's the problem of dust getting between the screens and overall durability. Then you have to assume that both screens would be the same size, resolution & aspect ratio. I totally abandoned it (I also abandoned 2 sticks) because the FCC filing goes against both those ideas...

DrGAKMAN3DSConceptFinal.jpg

So now I believe ('cos the FCC filing is more legit than some rumor IMO):
1) slide design
2) there will be a multi-touch/touch only aim when the system is in the closed possition
3) #2 is not possible with a clamshell design due to lack of ergonomics/durability
4) #2 allows for some new technology (like artificial muscle feedback) to be possible
5) top & bottom screens are different & therefore can't/shouldn't/won't be "close together"
6) bottom screen is just a stock DS touchscreen for B/C & minor 3DS use
7) #6 is cheaper & makes future iterations easier to cope with B/C
8) only one analog short stick

1-D_FTW

Caramello said:
So? The 3DS would still have to output 920p if that was indeed the resolution.. Whether you see it or not.

Which is why most of us have bought into the slideout design with stock ds screen on bottom. Along with all the "evidence", it seems like a total waste of cpu/gpu power. Second screen is there for b/c and maps/inventory/friends list(?) in hardcore games.

BlueWord

sprsk said:

The pokedex tells us 2 things, no gap and it slides, this I am like 80% sure of.

I agree. The 3DS has a fairly high likelihood of having similar screen layout to this thing, though the system (like all the pokedex) will obviously look different.

But, yeah, based on this, I'm willing to bet it's a slide up-and-out design.

DonMigs85

Caramello said:
So? The 3DS would still have to output 920p if that was indeed the resolution.. Whether you see it or not.
For all we know the lower screen might be the same res as the old DS (256 x 192), and perhaps for 3DS-specific games at least, no 3D graphics will be allowed on it. If that's the case then 3D games will render at 240p only for 3D mode.

1-D_FTW

BlueWord said:
I agree. The 3DS has a fairly high likelihood of having similar screen layout to this thing, though the system (like all the pokedex) will obviously look different.

But, yeah, based on this, I'm willing to bet it's a slide up-and-out design.

I'm glad you phrased it like that. Because that's exactly how that bizarre design looks to me. Like it slides up. Can someone explain to me how it's not the top screen that's being slid up? And if it is, why would you hide the good screen in single display mode?

Hobbun

So for those of you saying it will be a slide up and out design, you mean when sliding out, both top and bottom will be flush and lock (somehow) to one another?

Also, if it does slide up, wouldn't the top screen have to be exposed as it is only sliding up?

Edit:

1-D_FTW said:
I'm glad you phrased it like that. Because that's exactly how that bizarre design looks to me. Like it slides up. Can someone explain to me how it's not the top screen that's being slid up? And if it is, why would you hide the good screen in single display mode?

Wait, where is this design at? I must have missed it. It's not the top screen the slides up?

upandaway

I just had the best idea ever.

Alright, so:

First, there's an analog stick. Works as usual. Can go octagonal.

Then, you grab the analog stick and rotate it 45 degrees, and the underside of it clicks into a 4-way template. Just think about the octagonal shape being of 2 layers, that are directly on top of each other, both 4-way, and you only spin one of them. It's now D-pad.

Of course it clicks digitally too so that the game knows which mode you're in (and put it on screen so you know too).

upandaway said:
I just had the best idea ever.

Alright, so:

First, there's an analog stick. Works as usual. Can go octagonal.

Then, you grab the analog stick and rotate it 45 degrees, and the underside of it clicks into a 4-way template. Just think about the octagonal shape being of 2 layers, that are directly on top of each other, both 4-way, and you only spin one of them. It's now D-pad.

Of course it clicks digitally too so that the game knows which mode you're in (and put it on screen so you know too).

Too complicated for casuals.

antispin

Interesting pokedex theory. But I hope it doesn't look anything like that pokedex; so ugly - like an SP with a second screen.

Would the second screen cover the controls (if gapless screens rumours are true)? Or would it stack on top of the non sliding screen with the controls always visible below, GBA SP style? If it is indeed a slider, then why the need for two screens at all? One large screen which slides up to reveal controls below, would be a simpler solution. BC would be handled by virtually splitting the large screen into two smaller ones. What advantage would a dual-physical screen setup bring?

zallaaa

Snytbaggen said:
I don't think he meant it that way. I believe he meant when the stylus walks "into" a pop-out effect. Because you'll have the illusion of a solid thing popping out of your screen, but there's nothing there when the stylus "touching" it. But if you have all 3D effects happen behind the screen you won't get this problem, as it would be equivalent of looking through a window.

This is where the rumble stylus comes in. When it walks into a pop-out effect it rumbles. Didn't Nintendo patented something similar a while ago?

http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/02/22/nintendo-patents-rumble-stylus/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If the new Pokedex hints at the 3DS it has to only be in the screens. There's no way the 3DS is shaped like a GameBoy.

Polari

EatChildren said:
The screen will not be exposed. Nintendo have been pretty adamant about their handhelds being durable. Iwata wanted the DS to be built in a way so it could survive a drop from a couple of meters.

Durability has always been part of their design mantra. An exposed LCD screen would be going in the opposite direction for no good reason.

I don't know, the entire Gameboy range had exposed screens until the GBA SP. There are some pretty tough screen treatments available these days too.

BlueWord

EatChildren said:
If the new Pokedex hints at the 3DS it has to only be in the screens. There's no way the 3DS is shaped like a GameBoy.

Yeah, look at previous generations' pokedex. It's usually only the screens that are direct reflections of the console.

1-D_FTW

Hobbun said:
Wait, where is this design at? I must have missed it. It's not the top screen the slides up?

sprsk said:
315zw5s.gif

Here's my crude recreation of the new Pokemon Pokedex. Looks like the 3DS is a slider!

Left is when it's closed, right is when its open and turned on.

Not that I can make out. How is that not the top screen that's sliding up?

I doubt the whole "gapless" or "small gap" rumor. The only place we've ever heard it was from a single small random blog site. One that missed out on one big important piece of information: 3D. Since that gapless thing is a feature a lot of people want, that makes it less credible - similar to a rumor about it shipping with an Earthbound game or Kid Icarus (though of course not as extreme as those would be). The blog also mentioned that both screens would be bigger and higher resolution - but most people seem to have decided (reluctantly) that the device will have a small screen and a large one, as was seen on the early dev kit.

And it would mess up backwards compatibility with both DS and DSi, since many DS games are designed around that gap - games that use both screens often treat the gap as part of the game world that you just can't see. Making it a little smaller, I could see Nintendo doing that. Making it "negligible", though? Nope.

Especially with the DSi camera being in the center of that gap, and games being designed for what it sees to be perfectly centered. How's Wario Ware Snapped going to work if the camera isn't centered on your face?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Polari said:
I don't know, the entire Gameboy range had exposed screens until the GBA SP. There are some pretty tough screen treatments available these days too.

I mean relative to the button placement. They wont have two screens above the buttons.

selig

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Because Nintendo is all about movies, right?

Nintendo is about EVERYTHING. It´s a common mistake of people here on Neogaf that try to put Nintendo into some kind of specific spot, when there really isn´t. There is no "THAT" audience that Nintendo is appealing to, as well as there´s not THE kind of software Nintendo provides, even if games are their main focous.

I really think people have to realize the most important thing considering the 3DS´s feature palette: Nintendo is going after our everyday life. They want their hardware to be something we carry with us for the whole day and spend as much of our free time with it. That´s a fact that Iwata and Reggie both told us numerous times.
Also fact of the matter is that a games-only device in this day and age can NOT be such an everyday life-device. People might carry it around, but there´s more than gaming to most people. And when it comes down to it, people might choose their multimedia-mobile phone over their gaming-handheld, because said phone will have movie- and music-playback as well as games...games of a quality that a lot of the people that Nintendo decided to go after are satisfied with.

So that´s what you have to think of when trying to figure out the 3DS. I don´t know if 3D-movies are compatible with the kind of 3D the 3DS uses, but movie- and music-playback should be a lock. Add a more smooth and comfortable internet-browser as well as an "app-store" for non-gaming-software like...whatever people use on their iPhone, and you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom