• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Australian Launch

vanty

davonaytor said:
Got mine :D

Face raiders is awesome.

I got Rayman DS (bundled with the system) and SSFIV.

Unfortunately I think my vision is bad, I see a slight ghosted image, but it's not enough to stop me from enjoying playing on it.

Played about 10 minutes of Rayman, already hit some dodgy frameratesm but I haven't okayed Rayman 2 before so at least it's a new experience.

It looks like all PAL cases will be the same size :D no more skinny black case / clear massive case issues for the shelf.
I've played about a half hour of Rayman, after about 5 minutes the low framerate either disappeared or I stopped noticing it. I also got significantly more comfortable with the 3D as time went by, at first it was so hard for me to see I turned it off but about 10 minutes later turned it back on and found just over halfway up the slider is totally fine with me and I'm having no problems now.

Is there a way to transfer 3d video onto sd card and have it play back on the ds?

What video format does the 3ds use?

How could I convert a normal video into a 3d video compatible for 3ds screen?

Mistle

Against all prior commitments I had of not getting this until June, I ended up getting a blue 3DS today with Rayman. I'm so weak, haha.

Looks amazing so far, I love it. Even though I owned Rayman on DS, I barely played through the first few levels as it controlled so bad. It controls fantastically on the 3DS though and looks awesome. Can't wait to get past the first few levels, into areas I haven't played since the N64 days. My only complaint is the sound effects (mainly his main attacks) are barely audible. Bad sound mixing on that behalf.

I thought I would be able to handle full 3D on the slider, but like most everybody else, half way looks best for me. Can't wait until new games start getting released, seems like it's going to have a great library in the future.

Oh, and the slide pad is magical! So smooth and easy to use, Zelda & Mario are going to be a blast to play.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm on the list.

Lets be friends.

FCMaxi

Animaniac said:
Fuuuuuuu. Did anyone in Radelaide get their order from Dick Smith today? Mine seems to be stuck in Sydney.

I'm also from Adelaide and did not receive my order today. Gave AAE a call and it's apparently been backlogged due to the weather conditions in Sydney.

"Due to adverse weather conditions in Sydney last night, flights scheduled to arrive at Sydney airport were diverted to Melbourne airport; consequently we are experiencing freight dispatch backlogs to Adelaide, Sydney and Regional NSW."

http://www.facebook.com/notes/austr...ptions-thursday-31-march-2011/136246033114522

Yagharek

Mine is a black 3ds. Some impressions from my days play so far:

I got Ridge Racer and tbh I find it eminently viewable. The 3D effect works fine for me and thats on about 60%/70% up the slider. The game is nice and vibrant, it looks better than what I remember PSP Ridge Racers to be, but this may be an error on my part since I only ever saw that game in July 2005 when a mate brought over a Japanese system and RR. In any case I havent played RR aside from the RR on PSP for 10 minutes and the Ridge Racer Revolution demo on my PS1. As a fan of Outrun 2 and general arcade racers of that style, it is a purchase gamble for me that has paid off well and truely. Great game.

Next up: Pro Evo 2011. The only negative/issue I have had is with PES and the narrow field of view for 3D. That is an issue for me when I get excited and move the 3ds around like a control pad thus momentarily losing the sweet spot. That said, I have noticed Ive been holding the system slightly off-centre, so it may be I need to re-train myself where to hold it, because when I tested it out again there was a much crisper image. But PES is better with about 50% 3D settings I find, rather than all the way up. Only played a few friendlies so far, but its a good counterpart to its 360 version for when Im away on work trips. Master League's inclusion softens the blow of lack of online.

Very happy with it overall. PES 2011, Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon Advance WarsFighter are great pickups and for the first time its a nintendo launch where I havent felt the need to buy a first party game. Good to see that a number of publishers stepped up and brought out some decent games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
FCMaxi said:
I'm also from Adelaide and did not receive my order today. Gave AAE a call and it's apparently been backlogged due to the weather conditions in Sydney.

"Due to adverse weather conditions in Sydney last night, flights scheduled to arrive at Sydney airport were diverted to Melbourne airport; consequently we are experiencing freight dispatch backlogs to Adelaide, Sydney and Regional NSW."

http://www.facebook.com/notes/austr...ptions-thursday-31-march-2011/136246033114522

What blows here is it's going to push them all out til monday now rather than friday

leca

For those of you in Adelaide who have been asking What is going on? with the Dick Smith orders I'm happy to chime in. Had a chat with jambo who relayed some of this info here :)

I contacted Dick Smith and Australian Air Express for more information by phone, then via twitter they got back to me with further info :)

http://twitter.com/casbitton/status/53296337080434688
http://twitter.com/casbitton/status/53300671608406017
http://twitter.com/casbitton/status/53310250618593280
http://twitter.com/casbitton/status/53315016111304704

http://twitter.com/DickSmith/status/53310065226166272
http://twitter.com/DickSmith/status/53310689967747073
http://twitter.com/DickSmith/status/53314093892911104

DSE are awaiting a detailed reply on the cause of the delay, one that is not weather conditions.

http://twitter.com/DickSmith/status/53358051108990976

Either way, I'm pretty unhappy with AAE :(

CryptiK

Got my 3DS today :D traded in my DSi that cost me 178 with a free game and got half price off the 3DS pretty amazing deal!

Went to GAME to pick mine up by price-matching Kmart, using the $80 I had from my DS Lite trade (I originally paid
$100
for a new DS Lite...) and the $27.50 voucher I had.

But no, they wouldn't do it.

So I walked the 50m to Kmart, and paid $273.60 (5% off for being a Coles family man). Also picked up SSFIV.

Seems pretty sweet!

Also, my local EB had donuts and cookies for getting the most pre-orders in the state. So good for them!

I'm finding myself more and more impressed by the 3D effect the more I play. I think it just takes the eyes some time to adjust to it.

Ok be honest. Who's been tempted to take a 3D photo of their penis?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, Rabbids actually isnt terrible. Who woulda thunk it.

trinest

AnkhWeasel said:
Went to GAME to pick mine up by price-matching Kmart, using the $80 I had from my DS Lite trade (I originally paid
$100
for a new DS Lite...) and the $27.50 voucher I had.

But no, they wouldn't do it.

So I walked the 50m to Kmart, and paid $273.60 (5% off for being a Coles family man). Also picked up SSFIV.

Seems pretty sweet!

Also, my local EB had donuts and cookies for getting the most pre-orders in the state. So good for them!
Yeah GAME is very bitching about double discounts.

Swear to god there is absolutely no way of making it through arcade mode on SSF4 with the 'internet challenge' or whatever it is turned on. Seriously I couldn't even make it through half a round before getting a fight request, and it kept happening over and over again. It did help me get the 5 win streak medal though :)

Gravijah

Hey you AusGAF bastards, add me! Added EatChildren and BowieZ but if anyone else wants to add me, they can.

Oh, and I added VOOK too. Well, whatever FC he has in the other FC thread.

3652-0546-5060

MrCookiepants said:
I'm finding myself more and more impressed by the 3D effect the more I play.

Forget the 3DS! Your avatar is the only thing impressing me at the moment! Can’t......stop.......staring........

sneeze%20sneeze.gif
sneeze%20sneeze.gif
sneeze%20sneeze.gif
sneeze%20sneeze.gif
sneeze%20sneeze.gif

beje

Banned
MrCookiepants said:
Ok be honest. Who's been tempted to take a 3D photo of their penis?

I did, and it served to acknowledge that the 3D screen can do pop-out effect just fine if you take the photo in the right way.

BowieZ

Banned
EatChildren said:
Oh, Rabbids actually isnt terrible. Who woulda thunk it.
This is goood news!

I hope you mean Rabbids and not Rayman ;) I always get them confused.

Gravijah I'll add you after I finish this Download Play transfer of Mario kart DS with my brother.

Speaking of which, anyone know how long that takes? It's 32MB right? My bro and I are sitting here waiting lol

CryptiK

BowieZ said:
This is goood news!

I hope you mean Rabbids and not Rayman ;) I always get them confused.

Gravijah I'll add you after I finish this Download Play transfer of Mario kart DS with my brother.

Speaking of which, anyone know how long that takes? It's 32MB right? My bro and I are sitting here waiting lol
he does mean Rabbids because Rayman 3DS is complete ass.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I considered Rabbids - it looks pretty good - but ended up getting Ridge Racer from Target for $55. Probably could have survived not buying anything at all but in the end i wanted a game to test out the 3d. Traded in a few games and got a lot more credit than I expected at JB, so that worked out nicely.

First impressions : wow. When the menu first switched to 3d I was well impressed. The little menu 'pages' with depth are pretty cool too. Charging now. A few hours of work ahead of me before I can even play it :(

Tricky I Shadow said:
Forget the 3DS! Your avatar is the only thing impressing me at the moment! Can’t......stop.......staring........
It's hypnotic. Even if they are last-gen 2D bewbz.

beje said:
I did, and it served to acknowledge that the 3D screen can do pop-out effect just fine if you take the photo in the right way.
Good to hear!

Boken

Banned
Gravijah said:
Hey you AusGAF bastards, add me! Added EatChildren and BowieZ but if anyone else wants to add me, they can.

Oh, and I added VOOK too. Well, whatever FC he has in the other FC thread.

3652-0546-5060
Wtf Gravijah isn't Australian.

Just echoing that Ghost Recon's 3D is really damn good. I am ready for the 3D future now. The game itself is pretty great for srpg lovers.

guidop

Selling my copy of Shadow wars for $50, pick up / meet in Melbourne City (North CBD) most days of the week my Uni schedule permitting

pm if interested. This is a brand new completely sealed game I got from the DSE deal

CryptiK

guidop said:
Selling my copy of Shadow wars for $50, pick up / meet in Melbourne City (North CBD) most days of the week my Uni schedule permitting

pm if interested. This is a brand new completely sealed game I got from the DSE deal
good luck when the cheapest you can get it is $38 or $48

Luigiv

Been playing around with my system. Just noticed, you can use the camera whilst an application is suspended too (albeit using a simplified version of the software). Just tap one of the shoulder buttons to open it.

Red Dolphin said:
Any impressions on Rabbids 3D? Can't find much anywhere except here:

http://3dsforums.com/nintendo-3ds-games-31/rabbids-3d-review-10890/

Got Rayman 3D and Rabbids 3D and was really looking forward to Rayman but I've heard it's pretty average. I haven't opened either yet! But I desperately want to play one full game!! argh :p Leaning towards Rabbids.

Actually, thats the first game I want to buy for my 3DS... but it's going to be released here until next week!

Here is a review I found: http://www.cubed3.com/review/962

I was on the fence, but thanks to the link you provided and to some impressions from some GAF'ers, I will definitely get this game as soon as possible.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Blammo: 2492 4100 5367

Who's added me, I got like 40 people already so I'm not sure who I've added anymore.

Kanyon

Bought an Aqua Blue 3DS with Super SF4 and Ridge Racer 3D, so far I'm really impressed with it and I can see that there is so much potential for future games. The 3D works really well and I can't wait to see how developers exploit it in future titles.

Really happy with the build quality, the unit feels solid yet still lightweight and compact. As an industrial design student, I always look at this sort of stuff and see how I could improve it. The only thing I would have liked to improve would have been the screen size and maybe some softer corners and a bit less linework/extrusions.

To be honest, other than that my only problem with the unit is the battery life, which is understandable. It is packing a fair bit of hardware but I'm usually pretty good at managing power so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Really excited for future 3D gaming!

Jintor

I picked up Rabbids 3D, Rayman 3D and Splinter Cell 3D from work today. Current impressions of Splinter Cell at least are 'this was not meant to work on a handheld system'.

catmincer

Any Kiwis got a 3DS yet? How is the launch lineup? I remember the DS lineup was slightly different to Australia i.e no Project Rub :S

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Very happy with my order from DSE. It arrived at my doorstep 9am launch day. Pretty impressive. I like it so far. Glad I went with cosmos black it's more of a grey colour really. I need to pickup street fighter after work tonight seeing as Rayman 3D is fun but not that impressive.

BLOODY LOVE Face raiders. More than I feel I should. It's great.

VOOK

stupid_dad said:
Anyone in Perth had a DSE delivery yet......still waiting,getting worried

Brother and a friend got theirs, ring them up or AAE. Before the days out!

Animaniac

1Wcaj.jpg

Finally got my 3DS today. People at work were impressed with the 3D effect.
Most surprising thing? The AR games are AWESOME!

VOOK

Kritz said:
Almost got one today. Almost.

And then I decided not to.

I am truly the master of self control.

Then put your pants back on.

Top Bottom