• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Australian Launch

stupid_dad

Neo Member
VOOK said:
Brother and a friend got theirs, ring them up or AAE. Before the days out!

WOW

Rung them,i wont get till tuesday coz i live in kalamunda which they say not included in metro area........

stupid_dad

Neo Member
Clipper said:
Can you pick it up from their warehouse?

Two phonecalls and a few emails later and they say item cannot be picked up from a warehouse and they refuse to give me a reason why....

In a shitty mood now even thinking about going over eb and paying full price for shift 2 just to cheer myself up

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm going through the friend requests I've gotten today on Vooks and NeoGAF.

I've already added 40 people and do it in batches. Just the way I am.

Gassey

Banned
My DSE cheapy order arrived today - I'm located in rural Victoria - lucky I guess.

Not particularly impressed with the system at this point.

Analog Pad reminds me a lot of the PSP's, and not in a good way. Hate the way the power button doesn't shut down the system straight away. DS scaling looks a bit assey - and starting it up with SELECT+START is a PITA. Ghost Recon looks nice, will get more into it lately. 3D camera is cool. Augmented reality is too flakey to be truly impressive. The "Mii photo" system is a great idea. The D-Pad is really stiff and unresponsive.

The worst part is that you have to hold the 3DS REALLY still to see the 3D. The slightest tilt and this distracting black band whips across the screen. I think in practise - probably not the best choice of tech for a gaming system. Fine for a slow game such as Ghost Recon, but I can imagine myself throwing it across to room as I tend to shift my hands a bit when playing something like NSMB.

Still can't believe they bothered to launch it without the 3DS estore. Especialy when they need to immediately prove themselves in the eye of the iPod touch crowd.

No Pilotwings in store where I am BTW.

Hate to be a critic on Day 1, but I wouldn't recommend one to anyone over an iPod touch. Too expensive. No eStore. Lacklustre launch games. Touchy 3D.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The "sweet spot" is pretty large for me. I seem to have less room to move horizontally than I do vertically. My brother has no luck with it. He has to be sitting very still to keep it there.

Hate to be a critic on Day 1, but I wouldn't recommend one to anyone over an iPod touch.

If the intent is to play games, then the ipod touch is irrelevant as an alternative.

And the 3D angles are forgiving. You must have the shakes or something.

Kanyon

Took mine to work today, and the co-workers love it! Was showing off the camera and the AR stuff and there is so much potential to grab the casual audience with this thing...

EB had some bargains today, Ubisoft 3DS titles marked down to $38. Picked up Rayman 3D and Rabbids 3D which are both fun but Rabbids 3D is a really addictive platformer and I've been playing it a fair bit today!

Just for fun at work, took an AR card and blew it up to A3 size in the color copier and it definitely makes things very interesting!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, Rabbids is surprisingly solid. Starts off quite bland but picks up as levels go by. Not hard, and very 'by the books' platforming, but fun. Lots of stuff to collect and unlock too.

I also think it's graphically pretty sharp, and one of the nicest looking launch titles. Not amazing, but makes pretty great use of the 3D effects thanks to the 3D backgrounds ala DKCR.

BowieZ

Banned
I was stunned when I uploaded some MP3s and switched on the "Instrumental" setting and 'boom' the lead vocals are practically gone, yet all the counterharmony vocals are still in tact lol.

Doesn't work for all songs though, of course.

BowieZ

Banned
Gravijah said:
Bowie, your mii is creepy as fuck.
wh.. what are you talking about??

jhefig.png

mandiller

Just a heads up, Gametraders is selling Pilotwings Resort! I picked up the last copy from Gametraders in indooroopilly, Brisbane. The game is pretty fun so far and makes use of Miis, which is nice.

The copy is just a rebadged Eur version (just the same as other games like Ridge Racer 3D).

BowieZ

Banned
mandiller said:
Just a heads up, Gametraders is selling Pilotwings Resort! I picked up the last copy from Gametraders in indooroopilly, Brisbane.
I'll be calling them up first thing tomorrow morning (Loganholme). I think I'll just bite the bullet and get it.

Boken said:
Pleasantly surprised to have gotten 3 streetpasses today!
Wow - where you at?

Meanwhile I just realized nintendogs + cats keeps the same day/night schedule as real life!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mandiller said:
Just a heads up, Gametraders is selling Pilotwings Resort! I picked up the last copy from Gametraders in indooroopilly, Brisbane. The game is pretty fun so far and makes use of Miis, which is nice.

The copy is just a rebadged Eur version (just the same as other games like Ridge Racer 3D).

15 - 20 minute walk away.

I hope my local has copies in stock. That would be glorious.

hirokazu

Gravijah said:
The blue doesn't always catch well in photos. It really looks better in person, imo.
Yep, the blue definitely looked better than I expected. My exposure to the 3DS prior to buying was just display units when Nintendo was showing them at Westfield Parramatta, never bothered to try it, but the metallic blue is great.

Gravijah

Hey VOOK, you've got 4 different units... How are they holding up? Hinge wobble, d-pad, buttons, slidepad, etc. Any major differences between 'em?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gravijah said:
Hey VOOK, you've got 4 different units... How are they holding up? Hinge wobble, d-pad, buttons, slidepad, etc. Any major differences between 'em?

So far only noticed my Japanese hinge is a bit wobbly. Other than that, all fine.

taku

VOOK said:
So far only noticed my Japanese hinge is a bit wobbly. Other than that, all fine.
My Euro-hinge is wobbly. It's just enough to irritate me when I'm playing SSFIV. But then again, I heard wobbly-ness can be a positive thing as well..

BowieZ

Banned
my hinge loosened slightly such that it stays put at every angle except for a little bit inwards of the main 'near fully extended' position.

Lift it slightly up from that and it will fairly shortly afterwards snap back into place in the aforementioned NFE position.

Gravijah said:
Nah but seriously, I'm a dirty American, but I'm usually up around this time which means I spend a lot of time around my AussieGAF buds.
aww that's so cute ^_º

hirokazu

Tiduz said:
why cant you delete people who havent added you back, now i have a few grey thingies in my fl -_-
The Delete option is in settings, which is counter-intuitive. I'll start deleting people who never added me back tomorrow.

BowieZ

Banned
EatChildren said:
15 - 20 minute walk away.

I hope my local has copies in stock. That would be glorious.
None in stock at Indooroopilly and the guy said it 'doesn't look like' any of the other stores are stocking it. :/

Tried my local Gametraders and yeah, no stock.

mandiller

BowieZ said:
None in stock at Indooroopilly and the guy said it 'doesn't look like' any of the other stores are stocking it. :/

Tried my local Gametraders and yeah, no stock.

Well I did say I bought the last copy from Indooroopilly. I guess Gametraders mustn't have had many copies and they sold out quickly.

BowieZ

Banned
So technically I just returned my pre-ordered Big W 3DS (full $328 refund) and technically paid for the $298 in-store 3DS.

So I just saved AU$30 by wishing to switch colors from black to blue :D

mandiller said:
Well I did say I bought the last copy from Indooroopilly.
Yeah I know just letting you guys know there was no restocking, and there's none anywhere else :(

Gravijah

BowieZ said:
So technically I just returned my pre-ordered Big W (full $328 refund) and technically paid for the $298 in-store 3DS.

So I just saved AU$30 by wishing to switch colors from black to blue :D

Yeah I know just letting you guys know there was no restocking, and there's none anywhere else :)

The winning team wins another... win.

BowieZ

Banned
Gravijah said:
The winning team wins another... win.
Also the chick who just served me at the supermarket looked exactly like Rebecca Black, and I told her this lmao (she said she was getting it all the time).

I was carrying my 3DS for pedophilemeter-related reasons so I nearly whipped out the camera and took a 3D photo to show you guys.

Top Bottom