• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS is now 5 years old (first launched on Feb 26th, 2011 in Japan)

batrush

It's a decent platform. These days I only pull mine out to play Taiko 3DS2. Apart from that, the only games that really held my attention are VLR and some of Atlus' releases.

I have a 128GB one and let me tell you: it's glorious. 90% of my games are digital, only a few gifts and LEs are physical.

Man, just the other day I was deleting stuff to make room for Zero Escape when it was on sale. I feel really dumb for never thinking of just getting a bigger cart. Craaaaaap, that sounds tempting.

I hear you can apparently format your SD card (VERY CAREFULLY) to give it more space or different encryption or something too?

Pinky

Banned
I bought Street Fighter V and Ridge Racer at launch. After about 2 months, I bought Pilot Wings, because that's really all there was. I thought Pilot Wings was boring as hell and traded it in to get Shinobi, which also sucked, so I later traded that in and got Tetris Axis, which was not so bad, but not as good as Tetris DS.

The 3DS has been my favorite system of the generation and I've played it more than 360, PS3, PS4, Vita, and Wii U, but it really pales in comparison to the DS. I have maybe twice as many DS games (over 50). There was a big decrease in Japanese games brought over and I think Nintendo was a bit more conservative with what they made for the system.

Bring on the NX handheld!

Console exclusive to PS4 MY ASS!!!

Comandr

Really shit hardware with some good software.

Ayup. Exactly how I feel. Can't wait to drop kick this thing into space and move on. Doesn't help that I hate the 3D effect so the extra power they poured into making that work is not only wasted on me, it's a point of contention. 💢

RK128

While I don't own nearly as much games for my 2DS compared to my DS and GBA....I really enjoyed my time with the 2DS :).

Getting to play Smash Brothers on the go in-between courses at campus, racing a few rounds of Mario Kart 7 waiting for the bus, and playing one of my favorite Nintendo games in years (Kid Icarus Uprising); really worth getting it Fall 2014 :D.

And I love the third party stuff on it too. Playing the Shantae series for the first time with Pirates Curse was amazing and playing a few demos of a handful of games (Sonic Boom 3DS, Lost World 3DS, ect) was enjoyable.

Lastly, it getting a great remake of my favorite 3D Zelda of all time (Majora's Mask)?! Cements it to me as Nintendo's best console for this current generation. I wanted some fun Nintendo games but didn't want a Wii U.....and the 2DS did this in spades for me.

Got a lot to catch up on (Luigi's Mansion, FE series, Code Named STEAM) and stuff this year looks great to (M&L Paper Jam, FE Fates, ect).

Sega is also doing really good on the 3DS's part this year too, with Boom Fire & Ice looking to be the best 3DS Sonic & them localizing one of the 3D Classic's collections in North America is nice too.

Mega

Banned
I like the system but I waited years to get one because the screens are horrible. It was bad enough with the DS if you look at the screenshots from the DS HD emulator and see how much detail is lost due to the low pixel density. The 3DS visuals being that much better... this handheld had no business launching with cheap 240p panels, especially with games like Xenoblade, Monster Hunter and DKR.

I'm hoping the next handheld is 720p or 960p, a very nice HD res that will scale ALL of Nintendo's old games properly. I wonder if I'm being too optimistic :(

Anyway my favorite games have probably been A Link Between Worlds and Smash 3DS.

AndrewRyan

The launch was amazing will the parade of uniformed girls holding up the 3DS and just the 3D without glasses! Playable today! Then the incredible letdown when the price was revealed.

After they announced the price cut there were rumors that Target was selling it for the new price a day early, so you could still qualify for the Ambassador program. That's what prompted me to pick one up, and it's been such an amazing console. One of my favorite systems ever. So many fantastic games and the N3DSXL makes it nearly perfect.

I have had the system since launch. I got the Cosmos Black with Street Fighter 4. I remember for a while I had buyers remorse, as that launch window was pretty weak. Then came Ocarina of Time in the summer, and we got Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land in the space of about a month in autumn/winter and all was forgotten.

I upgraded to the New 3DS last year (I never upgrade a console, I even owned the original DS throughout the system's life) and love it. I would say my favourite game is probably Mario Kart 7, I have definitey spent the most time with that, however Animal Crossing New Leaf comes a close second. The 2 3D Zelda remakes are incredible as is A Link Between Worlds.

It is definitely up there with the best when you are comparing game libraries, especially when you take into consideration backwards compatibility.

Happy Birthday 3DS!

My least favorite portable hardware from Nintendo. The screen is just so low resolution and the ergonomics of the 3DS and XL made my hands cramp in 20 minutes every time.

Ready for a new system that ditches the 3D gimmick. Great Zelda and Animal Crossing on it this time though!

Ayup. Exactly how I feel. Can't wait to drop kick this thing into space and move on. Doesn't help that I hate the 3D effect so the extra power they poured into making that work is not only wasted on me, it's a point of contention. ��

This is pretty much how I feel.

Mike Golf

Great system, great software AND harware. I don't understand and will never understand the pessimism for the hardware in the 3DS. It was completely in line with previous jumps in hardware for Nintendo's handhelds and when it launched in 2011 I was floored with how good the 3D looked ontop of the graphics looking great, hell Revelations looks better than a lot of Vita games thanks to Capcom taking the time and effort on it. I think those dissapointed in what we got were expecting too much, I hoped for at least Gamecube level graphics fidelity and thanks to its shader capability at times it looks even better than that.

My fav games are;

SFIV
SM3D Land
MGS3D (except for the final cutscene being a prerendered video, wtf)

It had plenty more I like but those are the most memorable.

MAtgS

I got my day 1 with Street Fighter 4, Poke'mon Black, & the secret best launch Super Mario 64 DS. SM64DS was finally playable for the 1st time!

L Thammy

My main system this gen; I don't have as much opportunity to sit down with a console for long periods as of late. I'm really hoping that the NX's (possible) shared library will mean that I'll be able to get more of the games I want to play on handheld.

Video & Activity Log Top Ten.

Code:
Pokemon Shuffle - 185:42
Pokemon Conquest - 161:04
StreetPass Mii Plaza - 160:48
Samurai Warriors Chronicles - 146:17
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 120:54
Super Smash Bros for 3DS - 118:47
Pokemon Black - 95:10
Shin Megami Tensei IV - 93:31
Infinite Space - 90:03
Fire Emblem Awakening - 82:26

Vashetti

Banned
Wow, I forgot how ugly the OG 3DS was.

Any chance the NX (handheld) is backwards compatible? I've never owned a 3DS and so the catalogue has just flown by for me. I had a DS Lite and had quite a collection back in the day.

Any chance the NX (handheld) is backwards compatible? I've never owned a 3DS and so the catalogue has just flown by for me. I had a DS Lite and had quite a collection back in the day.

I actually kind of hope it isn't. I'd really like to see Nintendo break away from their current platforms and do something entirely new.

edit: oooops, quoted wrong part. :)

Has no one seriously not mentioned street pass? I love it even today, getting the little picture unlocks, and doing street quest. But the extra mini games you can buy are amazing. Little tiny slices of pure gameplay with the fun of random miis you meet.

I will truly miss street pass one day and I doubt anyone will ever do anything like it ever again.

Corsick

Ayup. Exactly how I feel. Can't wait to drop kick this thing into space and move on. Doesn't help that I hate the 3D effect so the extra power they poured into making that work is not only wasted on me, it's a point of contention. ��

I agree for the most part. To be honest though, I don't think I ever agree with Nintendo's choices when it comes to hardware. I think 3D is cool but ultimately a waste of resources and I dislike the clamshell design. When I first laid eyes on the 3d while using a 3DS I thought "you can't honestly tell me this isn't a gimmick." It felt almost vapid in how little depth (not talking literal 3d effect depth) it had. It felt almost desperate in a sense, but maybe that's overly harsh. I just wasn't impressed. You can't try to do effects like that on the cheap when your hardware can only support it to a mediocre result. Nintendo racing to the bottom in terms of price is not the answer, because the mobile market will crush it even moreso. You'll have much, MUCH more powerful phones with cheaper games even still. People look at phones as a monthly investment, so overall price is less convincing nowadays. I also am on team "make it a phone/gaming device hybrid." I think if they make it completely dedicated to gaming they're resigning themselves to being a niche company at best in the future. If they truly want to grow and evolve they need to do something "bold" like make it a phone with a physical set of buttons that slide out, raise the price to $349 and compete in the low-mid tier phone market with a 1080p screen. Maybe that sounds insane, but I don't see how Nintendo can realistically grow in the future without doing something like that. They don't have a true place in the gaming world now that's large enough to sustain the size of company they want to be, IMO. Either they stay conservative and slowly shrink, or they take a risk that at least has a hope of propelling them forward.

L Thammy

Has no one seriously not mentioned street pass? I love it even today, getting the little picture unlocks, and doing street quest. But the extra mini games you can buy are amazing. Little tiny slices of pure gameplay with the fun of random miis you meet.

I will truly miss street pass one day and I doubt anyone will ever do anything like it ever again.

I always felt like StreetPass was a missed opportunity. We should have gotten a Monster Rancher where you can assemble new monsters from StreetPass data.

Dead or Alive Dimensions had one of the coolest implementations, at least in theory. You send your fight data by StreetPass and you can fight an AI opponent based on other people's data.

AniHawk

i should have paid attention to my own rule. $250 for a handheld is nonsense, especially when it comes with not a whole lot at launch.

ghost recon shadow wars was a surprise though, and it was nice going through rayman 2 again (my first time since the n64). other ports like ocarina of time and star fox 64 were good solid starts for the system, but i didn't really care for the first major first-party games like mario kart 7 and super mario 3d land. i think kid icarus is mostly unplayable.

i guess around fall of 2012 is when it started turning around. virtue's last reward was worth the wait, and new super mario bros. 2 felt like super mario bros. 3-2. overall, the handheld's been okay. the stretch from 2013-2014 was its best, and at least it looks like it's ending strong in 2016 with several rpg localizations.

not my favorite nintendo handheld (ds), but not my least favorite (gba) either.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
5 years an it was only just last week that I hit double digits in games for it!

Brain Age: Concentration Training
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2
Style Savvy Trendsetters
Super Mario 3D Land

Sega 3D Classics Collection, Dragon Quest VII, and Style Savvy 3 later this year'll help out a good bit but still well below the selection of games GBA/DS offered to me. Pretty much default $40 price point on games an lack of money really hurt the system for me to. Just can't afford to take many risks on unknowns. Would be nice if demos were available for way more games~

Ansatz

If you include 3DS exclusive eShop titles like Pushmo, then it's hard to find a reason why 3DS shouldn't be considered Nintendo's best portable.

I guess DS has innovation going for it, as it introduce many fresh elements to existing templates and new kinds of experiences all together. If we just consider the sheer quality of the games then 3DS is a beast.

Trago

Launch was definitely rough. Played nothing but Street Fighter for a couple months. Everything started getting better when Zelda and Mario Kart were released, and thew rest is history.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do think the DSi is much sleeker than the original 3DS, but it has its charms. Just a shame it was prone to:

Scratch the top screen, have a D-pad that peels at the edges and a circle pad that comes off if you play too much Smash.

The day the n3DS was announced was a blessing.

L Thammy

If you include 3DS exclusive eShop titles like Pushmo, then it's hard to find a reason why 3DS shouldn't be considered Nintendo's best portable.

I guess DS has innovation going for it, as it introduce many fresh elements to existing templates and new kinds of experiences all together. If we just consider the sheer quality of the games then 3DS is a beast.

DS had a positively massive library though. It's not hard to find innovative or high quality games of any genre. When the 3DS library was anemic at the beginning, I still had plenty of DS titles to play on it. Dragon Quest IX, Infinite Space, Mega Man Zero Collection, Pokemon Conquest, Pokemon Black, Radiant Historia, etc.

Quick Wikipedia check, DS had over 2000 games released whereas 3DS has around 700. Obviously not all of those are going to be gems, and there's probably much more shovelware on the DS side, but the difference in the size of the libraries is pretty drastic.

The native library is a bit lacking compared to the DS but when you add in VC games and full DS compatibility the system is a keeper. And to be fair, it has games that are fantastic in their own right and several good ports/remakes like DKR, Xenoblade, OoT, and the two Devil Survivor games.

If the 3D had been as good as they made it in the New 3DS with the infrared tracking, I think it would've had a much better reception.

I still own my DSi, but I now also have a red 3DS, a blue 3DSXL, and a slate New3DSXL.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Time flies! The 3DS had a hell of a lot against it. From articles about the damaging 3D effects, to the early price drop, to the frankenstick that was bound to be required for every game, to the threat of the Vita which would undoubtedly destroy it....

Amazing it turned out so well. DS is still my favourite handheld, but the 3DS has a ton of high quality games you can't get anywhere else.

m00h

Banned
I love this little guy. I bought my 3rd 3DS just three weeks ago and I always have it with me no matter where I go. And I think implementing the 3D was the best idea Nintendo had. For me the 3D makes the games feel more "alive" and I will miss this feature in the future, since NX probably won't have 3D.

My most favorite games are
- SM3DL
- Zelda ALBW
- OoT
- MM
- AC:NL
- SSB
- 3D Streets of Rage 1 + 2

And I love the VC stuff. Also got CFW installed for emulation and RF.

Hikami

Really shit hardware with some good software.

Ayup. Exactly how I feel. Can't wait to drop kick this thing into space and move on. Doesn't help that I hate the 3D effect so the extra power they poured into making that work is not only wasted on me, it's a point of contention. 💢

Yep, yep.

Didn't know how to express this without it sounding like a shitpost but yeah, love the games it gets but the hardware is so bad.

Vanille

Really underwhelming follow up to the DS. It also somehow has a much weaker library than the GBA despite having 2 extra years on the market.

Can't wait to move on.

JordanKZ

If the 3DS had more, weird Japanese rhythm games, it'd probably overtake the original DS as my favourite NIntendo handheld. The region locking downright sucks, but considering the rocky start it had, the 3DS has been an excellent handheld.

Eolz

Happy birthday!
Despite its poor launch (on various levels) and an hardware that became quickly outdated, it was still a really good design (especially the New3DS) and will surely stay my favorite console this gen.
Excellent catalogue, and did a good job of staying popular in this new mobile world. Obviously it couldn't be a DS again, nothing will. Still dominated Japan.

According to the Activity Log I've played my 3DS for 4779 hours.

My favourite handheld and perhaps my favourite platform period alongside the Dreamcast.

The 3D effect is amazing and will be sorely missed.

I have og 3ds,og 3ds xl, n3ds xl, and tomorrow a n3ds because of my roommates preordering the Pokemon one for me as a gift. Love the thing.

J@hranimo

Banned
You know what made me buy my OG Purple 3DS in 2012?

Kid. Icarus. Uprising.

Probably one of my best purchasing decisions in a while lol. Great handheld with a great library.

Sakura

Probably my favourite Nintendo console.
Not sure I've ever boughten as many games for a system as I have for the 3DS.
Everybody in my house has a 3DS or 2DS. We are a good family to Nintendo.

KevinCow

Banned
God, has it really been 5 years? It's especially notable to me because that first year was a pretty tough time in my life. I'd just moved out of my parents' house and moved in with a friend and started going to school to become a trucker. My 3DS kept me sane for that year of trucking, until I finally quit because I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Amazing system even if the 3D isn't the system-selling gimmick it once was. The lineup of games is great PLUS you get the entire DS lineup as well. Streetpassing is fun
even though it only really works with Homepass
and the graphics look nice. Love it, my most played system in the past year or so.

By far one of the oddest successful systems ever. It felt like there were 5 games worth buying last year, so in thinking the 3DS is on its way out for Nintendo's next handheld/hybrid, then we got something like 20 good games coming outer already out this year, possibly more. Unreal.

Sterok

Stay strong buddy. It gave existence to Kid Icarus: Uprising, one of the greatest games of all time. The Mario and Zelda games have been solid, though so far Pokemon hasn't reached its glory days of the DS. Lots of gems big and small. Level 5 and Atlus have treated it well. If nothing else, I must thank the 3DS for helping make Fire Emblem a far bigger series than it once was.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
To think that it flopped when it came out, and recovered in '13 to the degree it did, is pretty crazy.

I've been disappointed with it ever since that year though. It's lineup has dried up unless you're a Pokemon or Yokai fan (which I'm not), or dying to play more FE (which I still have the first to play.

Top Bottom