• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo acquires $150 million company that's not Japanese and not gaming related

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the sound of this. I am terrified Nintendo will further isolate their fans with this QoL crap. I hope I'm wrong and Nintendo just concentrates on building better hardware but it really seems like there is huge change coming to Nintendo. One that is pulling them in another direction than video games. I hope I'm wrong.

5844052316327252.JPG

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
They bought Platinum Games.
They bought Konami.
They bought Capcom.
They bought Square Enix.

All titles will now be released exclusively for Wii U.
All those publishers subsequently will go bankrupt.

Reggie says: "If they die, they die".

carlos

for much less than that they could have had all of thq's properties, and probably made that money back allready on sales of saints row, south park and metro (while getting a wider demographic for their console

always feel like companies always overpay for tech, so best of luck to them.

Ansatz

I don't like the sound of this. I am terrified Nintendo will further isolate their fans with this QoL crap. I hope I'm wrong and Nintendo just concentrate on better hardware but it really seems like there is huge change coming to Nintendo. One that is pulling them in another direction in video games. I hope I'm wrong.

Fans of Nintendo IPs have nothing to worry about. There will be a system that gets bombarded with mascot games alongside QoL which is the successor to touch generations and the Wii ___ titles.

Sakura

I want to hope it is something cool and interesting, but I imagine it's just QoL related.
Looking forward to their E3 Nintendo Direct though.

javac

How large is 100mill in terms of acquisitions? Is that some big time stuff? I wonder what that could get you?

udivision

Fans of Nintendo IPs have nothing to worry about. There will be a system that gets bombarded with mascot games alongside QoL which is the successor to touch generations and the Wii ___ titles.

That begs the question, does this free up Nintendo to make a system that competes directly with Sony/MS?

Lowmelody

nintendo and sega merger guaranteed.

Arcade_complete_view.jpg

Wow. This was a welcomed blast from the past. I was utterly gobsmacked by this when I was a wee lad. I will never forget blowing probably more than half my allotted money at Worlds of Fun on this game and regretting nothing. I was obsessed with understanding how it worked and no one took me seriously or knew enough to help. =\

Wistful anecdotes aside, on the subject of Nintendo, I'm pretty keen to see their QoL stuff, if this indeed an acquisition to that end. For the most part though just want more of their games, regardless of their forays into this or that.

Quantity of Lice. It's a scanner to check your family's hair for hair lice. It plays metroid music during the scan.

$100,000,000 ON BANANAS

xaX6B4f.png

They bought From Software from Kadokawa and Atlus from Sega.

They're making Donkey Kong Country Returns 3.

an escape pod for Iwata.

Next year is 2015 so... hoverboards?

An eject seat.

A stack of 360p LCD screens. Gotta plan for the future.

You have all outdone yourselves. *wipemouthslowclap.gif*

That begs the question, does this free up Nintendo to make a system that competes directly with Sony/MS?

No, their current console doesn't have any of the stuff like face training or brain training. It has wii fit and sports but both rely on peripherals. Their next system might be more like Amazon's than Sony's.

thefro

Is there any source on this besides a tweet? Like, the original text of the report or whatever from their financials? God I hate the twittersphere.

He's legit... he live-tweets the Nintendo investor briefings. Think he's an investment research guy in the gaming space like Pachter, except Gibson lives in Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom