• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aiming To Release Super Mario 3DS This Year [Updated]

Emitan

GodDuckman said:
It ain't happening. Nintendo promised that Skyward Sword would be out in Holiday 2010, and here we are likely not getting it until a year later. I wouldn't expect Mario 3DS until Holiday 2012, and that's being generous.
They've probably been working on it since 2009 considering Galaxy 2 was done before 2010.

BowieZ said:
I really, really hope it isn't floating in space AGAIN (M64/SMG/SMG2).

The one good thing about Super Mario Sunshine...

The teaser pictures don't look very promising, though.

Eh?
There was 0 space in the teaser pictures.

AniHawk

From The Dust said:
Revelations this year is a bit of a stretch. I think there was a interview where Capcom said not to expect it this year. will find it.

I hope they show more of Super Mario 3D. I am really interested in the unified theme of the game

okay, then animal crossing for some, miniature american flags for others.

Linkup

I read that as suddenly they are aiming to release it this year.

How much dev time has the team likely had with the game? As compare SMG/2 dev time also. Thanks GAF.

GodDuckman said:
It ain't happening. Nintendo promised that Skyward Sword would be out in Holiday 2010.

Find that quote because i feel it in my bones that it isnt true. TP yes, but not SS. All we ever heard about it was that it was further long than we thought, which in Nintendo/Valve time, didnt mean much.

Linkup said:
I read that as suddenly they are aiming to release it this year.

How much dev time has the team likely had with the game? As compare SMG/2 dev time also. Thanks GAF.

It was probably being worked on before SMG2 came out, so a year+.
And it's using the same engine.

"Je vous promets de tout faire pour vous livrer le nouveau Mario cette année !"

I promise to do everything I can to deliver your new Mario this year!

do want :)

NeonZ

AceBandage said:
Eh?
There was 0 space in the teaser pictures.

Considering how he mentioned Mario 64 too, he clearly means the floating worlds in general. Mario Sunshine is the only 3d Mario that attempted to stick everything on the ground, aside from the extra stages.

I don't care which style they choose, I just hope it'll have consistent worlds that fit together nicely visually, unlike SMG2. In the end, I thought SMG1 looked better because the areas weren't nearly as random and fit together very well. SMG2's tech was at least as good as SMG's, but the stages often looked too randomly thrown together from a visual standpoint, even if they still played well.

clav

Still waiting for a 3DS Lite or 3DSi as I think the battery life can be improved in the next iteration.

That's what is holding me back in making a purchase.

KevinCow

Banned
That would be pretty awesome.

I've been playing Rayman, and while it's a really lazy port, it really shows off how the 3D effect will - not can, will - enhance 3D platformers. I find myself making jumps with far more confidence than other 3D platformers. In the original versions of Rayman 2, I'd hover at the peak of every jump, wait until my shadow was positioned in a safe spot, then release the hover. In the 3DS version, I only use the hover if my jump doesn't look like it'll have enough distance, and I don't even really pay attention to my shadow.

So if it makes a noticeable difference in a lazy port, I really can't wait to see what a talented developer like EAD Tokyo (they're doing Mario 3DS, right?) can do with a game built around 3D from the ground up. The sooner, the better.

Linkup

AceBandage said:
It was probably being worked on before SMG2 came out, so a year+.
And it's using the same engine.

Using the same engine didn't seem to speed up SMG2 development any. They also talked about how they had so many ideas etc to put into the sequel after SMG was finished. SM3DS is probably first half of next year as they'll likely have MK3DS this holiday season. I just believe that until E3.

antonz

As has been mentioned Nintendo confirmed Galaxies 2 was finished in 2009. They then sat on it because they didnt want the 2 Mario Wii games going at it at the same exact time. Considering that they have had a very good period of time to make Mario 3DS.

Yeah, I remember when they wanted Skyward Sword in 2010 too, then "early" 2011, now just 2011.

If we see Super Mario 3DS before 2H 2012, I'll be shocked.

Alrus

Mario Kart + this would make a killer holidays season ! I really cannot wait for E3 to have more announcement and thing to look forward too. One good 3ds game a month would be really cool, I'm getting a bit bored with the launch lineup...

AniHawk said:
okay, so animal crossing december and resident evil revelations october. mgs3.2 in february.
Wasn't MGS3 last said to be scheduled Fall 2011? Also no way on Revelations.

Find that quote because i feel it in my bones that it isnt true. TP yes, but not SS. All we ever heard about it was that it was further long than we thought, which in Nintendo/Valve time, didnt mean much.
Iwata heavily implied that it'd be ready in time for Holiday 2010 but he nor anyone else made any such promise or outright statement. Just as it was heavily implied that SS was going to release in the first half of 2011 but there was no such promise or statement.

I really want to know how its going to play though. Wonder if its going to be about reaching the endpoint of a level or just a world with multiple stars to get like all 3D marios are.

Alrus

StickSoldier said:
I really want to know how its going to play though. Wonder if its going to be about reaching the endpoint of a level or just a world with multiple stars to get like all 3D marios are.

Huh? Mario Galaxy is exactly what you described, most level are pretty linear.

Alrus said:
Huh? Mario Galaxy is exactly what you described, most level are pretty linear.

But it's like Mario 64, where you have one world with multiple stars. What I meant is, I wonder if they try to make it more like the 2D levels where its just one star/endpoint/whatever per level. I'm pretty sure it'll be like the other 3D Mario games, however, would just like to see something different.

I say they go for a cock block and when Sony announces a release date for NGP, they release it the same day :p

mario kart and new mario this year D:, awesome but i want my star fox 64 3DS now!!!! B^)

Neiteio

Hmm, Mario Kart at the end of August and Super Mario 3DS the last week of November sounds about right. With Kid Icarus and/or Animal Crossing in September or October, perhaps. And Star Fox in July, and Ocarina of Time 3D in June. No idea about Paper Mario.

Doth verily I say to thee, tis the season of 3DS.

AniHawk

CoffeeJanitor said:
Delay that shit, Nintendo. I want a Galaxy-esque mario experience here. You don't get that without delaying your game 5 times.
smg2 and nsmbw weren't delayed and they're the two best mario games ever made

Alrus

CoffeeJanitor said:
Delay that shit, Nintendo. I want a Galaxy-esque mario experience here. You don't get that without delaying your game 5 times.

Well they have the engine and the experience now, they can probably whip out a very high quality experience much faster than when they started working on Galaxy 1 :)

watershed

Banned
You know what's gonna happen? So far Nintendo has been giving the 3ds a lot of room for 3rd parties, but the 3ds install base is just getting started so 3rd party games aren't gonna sell gangbusters.

When the holiday season comes around lots of 3ds's will sell, growing the install base. At the same time more 3rd party games will be released to take advantage of the growing base and holiday season. BUT at the same time lots of big Nintendo 1st party games will be released like mario kart and Mario 3ds....

The 1st party games will dominate the charts and 3rd parties will once again complain that they can't sell on Nintendo systems! Nintendo can't win this argument. But I hope that's not the case.

Neiteio said:
Hmm, Mario Kart at the end of August and Super Mario 3DS the last week of November sounds about right. With Kid Icarus and/or Animal Crossing in September or October, perhaps. And Star Fox in July, and Ocarina of Time 3D in June. No idea about Paper Mario.

Doth verily I say to thee, tis the season of 1st Party.

fixed. 3rd parties am cry

AniHawk said:
smg2 and nsmbw weren't delayed and they're the two best mario games ever made
True on SMG2, but that was more of an expansion to start out. I view this as a whole new game.

And SMB3 or YI is the best.

AniHawk

smg2 was a full-fledged goddamn sequel.

yoshi's island is not a mario game.

super mario bros. 3 was great, but it's 2011 and standards have changed.

BowieZ

Banned
The rankings begin.

And Yoshi's Island is a fully-fledged goddamn Mario game sequel, starring Mario with a game-wide powerup, with SMW2/SM in the title.

Didnt realize Super Mario 3DS even had some sort of release date attached to it. Then again, Im still weary of Mario Kart 3DS being a title for this year, the lack of equivalent amounts of press and footage like KI and OoT, makes me weary...

Dedication Through Light said:
Didnt realize Super Mario 3DS even had some sort of release date attached to it. Then again, Im still weary of Mario Kart 3DS being a title for this year, the lack of equivalent amounts of press and footage like KI and OoT, makes me weary...

OoT just got a boost last week. new media and all that jazz. KI and MK3D are prolly E3 games

AniHawk said:
smg2 was a full-fledged goddamn sequel.

yoshi's island is not a mario game.

super mario bros. 3 was great, but it's 2011 and standards have changed.
Obviously, SMG2 is maybe my favorite game of all time along w/ SMG. It is a fact that it started as an expansion. That doesn't take away from the end-product.

I will concede that YI doesn't really fit with the rest of the 2D marios but it's an amazing platformer. I think it's fair to compare it; it's uniqueness is a positive.

And SMB3 still holds up today. The kickass level design has aged incredibly well.

I'm not one for nostalgia, either. I just prefer SMB3 to SMW or NSMB.

KevinCow said:
That would be pretty awesome.

I've been playing Rayman, and while it's a really lazy port, it really shows off how the 3D effect will - not can, will - enhance 3D platformers. I find myself making jumps with far more confidence than other 3D platformers. In the original versions of Rayman 2, I'd hover at the peak of every jump, wait until my shadow was positioned in a safe spot, then release the hover. In the 3DS version, I only use the hover if my jump doesn't look like it'll have enough distance, and I don't even really pay attention to my shadow.

So if it makes a noticeable difference in a lazy port, I really can't wait to see what a talented developer like EAD Tokyo (they're doing Mario 3DS, right?) can do with a game built around 3D from the ground up. The sooner, the better.

I absolutely totally agree. I can't wait to see it used in a modern 3d platform game. On that same note, I want to play starfox like... stat.
Guessing my distance from the environments was always tricky for me on the 64, whereas now I will have a spatial awareness of it.

AniHawk

CoffeeJanitor said:
Obviously, SMG2 is maybe my favorite game of all time along w/ SMG. It is a fact that it started as an expansion. That doesn't take away from the end-product.

I will concede that YI doesn't really fit with the rest of the 2D marios but it's an amazing platformer. I think it's fair to compare it; it's uniqueness is a positive.

And SMB3 still holds up today. The kickass level design has aged incredibly well.

I'm not one for nostalgia, either. I just prefer SMB3 to SMW or NSMB.
i think calling yoshi's island a mario game makes about as much sense as calling mario a donkey kong game. it's a fantastic platformer, no doubt, but with a full-fledge sequel of its own and several spinoffs, it's definitely its own thing, whatever the box art might say.

smb3 is still great, but it's a far cry from my favorite game of all-time like it was in the 90s. some of those levels are incredibly short. and while i think it's the best-looking and best-sounding 2d mario (smw's look and sound effects always felt off to me), nsmbw's level design trumps it easily.

maeda

Okay, I guess the idea that Tokyo EAD is using heavily tweaked SMG's formula for this game sounds even more plausible now. I guess we will get a completely new Mario for Cafe then. It's not like I mind. I still think we are getting spoiled, too much Mario!!!

BowieZ

Banned
AniHawk said:
i think calling yoshi's island a mario game makes about as much sense as calling mario a donkey kong game.
That analogy makes no sense.

And the fact it got its own spinoffs doesn't make it a spinoff itself.

Also YI2 doesn't star Mario, it stars many Mario characters, hence it's rightfully not a mainline Mario title, nor is it labeled as such on the cover.

Mistle

As much as I loved Galaxy, I hope this game takes a different direction. I'm glad I bought a 3DS, so many good titles on the horizon.

maeda

BowieZ said:
It actually does. Yoshi's island has: a completely different physics engine, a totally different level structure, a totally different power up system...

AniHawk

BowieZ said:

And the fact it got its own spinoffs doesn't make it a spinoff itself.

Also YI2 doesn't star Mario, it stars many Mario characters, hence it's rightfully not a mainline Mario title, nor is it labeled as such on the cover.

is yoshi touch & go a mario game?

is wario land: super mario land 3 a mario game?

Top Bottom