• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces First Half FY 2011 Financial Results [Expects Full Year Loss]

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
artwalknoon said:
Nintendo has a briefing tomorrow (October 28th) as well. Any announcements to hold back an investor sell out or Iwata being ejected will be made there.
Hype!

BY2K

Membero Americo
artwalknoon said:
Nintendo has a briefing tomorrow (October 28th) as well. Any announcements to hold back an investor sell out or Iwata being ejected will be made there.

Nice.

Let's see what comes out of it.

GavinGT

Banned
Surprise, price drops and new console R&D cost money.

And, yeah, they're not really putting out the games to encourage hardware sales.

marc^o^ said:

Clearly you're not an investor.

Orayn

artwalknoon said:
Time to go 3rd party. My fellow Nintendo fans, it has been an honor playing with you.

walking fiend said:
nvm, it actually makes sense. They sustained 273m more loss than what they expected, and reducing that from 154 will amount to -119 loss, and a bit further it'll be like -154 loss. (strange they are exactly the same numbers though!)

So, they are going to barely make even this fy if their forecasts don't change much like it did this time.

I believe the previous forecasts included sales of 3DS at $250, and also they expected DS to sell as well.

Now not only DS doesn't sell due to the high price, but 3DS is selling at a much lower profit margin, if any.

You are looking at the income per share numbers. Their total fy forecast has changed from a 20B profit to a 20B loss.

The previous forecast was made 3 months ago and included the lower 3DS price.

Medalion

Banned
FStop7 said:
Iwata's hair is far too pretty for unemployment.
IwataPrettyBoy.gif

BY2K said:
Nice.

Let's see what comes out of it.

I invested in Nintendo because the company was created on my birthday. What do you make?

Why don't you make smart phone games?

How will you make sure Wii U matches Wii sales?

When do you anticipate not being doomed?

Cygnus X-1

Key point is the forecast for the entire year. If they expect losses even over the year, they're in serious trouble. If not, in the next two quarters this losses will be completely absorbed. So?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Buddha Beam said:
I wish I wasn't so poor. Tomorrow is probably going to be a good time to buy Nintendo stock.

Maybe not. If we consider what happened last time, Nintendo's stock won't go up until they announce they are making games for iOS.

Kazerei said:
I started to type these numbers up, but then I got lazy.

CI3L7.png

That should answer the questions regarding why 3DS sells without new software charting (or the same for DS or Wii). Their backlog is crazy.

You are looking at the income per share numbers. Their total fy forecast has changed from a 20B profit to a 20B loss.

The previous forecast was made 3 months ago and included the lower 3DS price.
I see. Still strange the exact same numbers turned to loss, seems like a lazy person was in charge of it lol

How did it happen though? I mean what did not met expectation or changed during past 3 months that changed their result this much?

Duxxy3

They are still betting on the 3DS hardware having huge holiday sales in the west. I am... less than convinced.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why two times the Americas in 3DS hardware sales? XD
However, they expect to cover a lot of these losses.
Let's see if December even outdo their forecasts.

Cygnus X-1

20 billion yen losses: this is what they predict at the end of this fiscal year. It will be a first for the history of Nintendo.

They thus are definitely in trouble.

Mr_Moogle said:
Heres hoping it lights a fire under their collective asses. Nintendo's output is much better when they aren't doing well.
If I were Nintendo, and mind you this is a purely business-driven decision, the fire lit under my ass would result in waaaaaay more Japanese-only games meant to appeal solely to Japan.

They can't do shit about the weak dollar and euro and only the Stonecutters can do something about the pound, so if Nintendo were the type of company that would go "Fuck it, our fans can deal without 1/3rd of our output until the dollar and the euro stop sucking," then that would be the "fire" I'd expect.

Mpl90 said:
Why two times the Americas in 3DS hardware sales? XD
However, they expect to cover a lot of these losses.
Let's see if December even outdo their forecasts.
It's the others obviously, lol
but the number us wrong as well. it should be 119 (which means 3DS is performing in the US the worst)

watershed

Banned
Iwata really needs to bring it at the briefing tomorrow or he'll probably have to endure a real wave of investors calling for his head. Posting an annual loss is serious business and even though that's still a quarter away I could see the board of directors losing confidence in Iwata if it happens.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Cygnus X-1 said:
No. They need to get administrative expenses down. Maybe it's time for some layoff.
You don't know what you are talking about. Nintendo doesn't have lots of employees. Losing money in the short term to build a userbase is a common strategy in the business, in most business, and Nintendo can afford it and then some.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Losing so much money to exchange variances is just bullcrap, but then I don't understand how any of that works anyways.

3DS almost at 7 mil is sort of incredible considering its reputation over the past six months since it launched. Come SM3DL, MK7, and (in Japan) MH3G and Vita will have to kick itself in gear right out of the gate, Sony can't be asleep at the wheel for even a second over the next year or two.

Scrappy Nintendo is best Nintendo. They're busting all their tricks out (price drop, new colors, bundles) for 3DS years early and we're all benefiting from that.

ShockingAlberto said:
If I were Nintendo, and mind you this is a purely business-driven decision, the fire lit under my ass would result in waaaaaay more Japanese-only games meant to appeal solely to Japan.

They can't do shit about the weak dollar and euro and only the Stonecutters can do something about the pound, so if Nintendo were the type of company that would go "Fuck it, our fans can deal without 1/3rd of our output until the dollar and the euro stop sucking," then that would be the "fire" I'd expect.

For a few months now this has been my prime concern when it came to Nintendo's finances. I can't imagine the board members want anything other than Nintendo to concentrate purely on Japan right now, and I don't know if I'd call Iwata wise or a fool for listening to them...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
vectorman06 said:
What a nice bday present for me :D

Wut.
However, it's not all their fault: exchange is something bad, right now.
But they'll go over even this. Don't worry Cygnus :D

Thoraxes

Cygnus X-1 said:
No. They need to get administrative expenses down. Maybe it's time for some layoff.
Yeah, they'll save maybe a whole $500,000 USD out of their multi-billions after their already-happened pay-cuts. Total coverage.

GCX

Cygnus X-1 said:
Nintendo already operates with only 4 500 or so employees. They can't cut much from that.

watershed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

This is the impression I get from Nintendo lately looking at the slew of 3ds software announced for Japan. Nintendo is betting big on Japanese sales to secure a profit going forward while they ride out the rough foreign markets.

Andrex said:
Losing so much money to exchange variances is just bullcrap, but then I don't understand how any of that works anyways.
Puppet show version is that euro and dollar are weaker than the 100 yen, which results in even good sales being converted to less yen.

If U.S. and european game prices went up, it would probably help compensate for the loss, but nobody wants that and the market wouldn't bear it besides.

Kazerei

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
20 million yen losses: this is what they predict at the end of this fiscal year. It will be a first for the history of Nintendo.

They thus are definitely in trouble.

I think that's 20 billion yen actually :O

But it's still a little too early to say they're in trouble.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GCX said:
Nintendo already operates with only 4 500 or so employees. They can't cut much from that.

Not to mention none of them really break the bank in terms of salary. Doesn't Iwata make less than $1 million a year?

walking fiend said:
How did it happen though? I mean what did not met expectation or changed during past 3 months that changed their result this much?

Simply put, their sales sucked last quarter and they expect that to continue on for the rest of the fiscal year. Also lowered the forecasted yen exchange rate.

Exchange rate assumptions have been revised from 80 yen to 77 yen per US Dollar and from 115 to 106 yen per euro.

Erethian

Coxy said:
it's a little better than the analysts predicted but vastly worse than the 20B loss nintendo themselves predicted

Nintendo didn't predict a 20 billion Yen loss, they predicted a 55 billion Yen loss.

Yamauchi is still Nintendo's largest shareholder. Iwata is safe, and rightfully so. Look at how much ass the 3DS is kicking in Japan. Reggie and Kimishima on the other hand....

artwalknoon said:
This is the impression I get from Nintendo lately looking at the slew of 3ds software announced for Japan. Nintendo is betting big on Japanese sales to secure a profit going forward while they ride out the rough foreign markets.
If this is their plan, it is reactionary and short-sighted.

Cygnus X-1

Sales of 3DS games better explode in Q3. This anyway will teach them a lesson to not being lazy just because things were going well.

GCX

Andrex said:
Not to mention none of them really break the bank in terms of salary. Doesn't Iwata make less than $1 million a year?
Well he did cut his salary in half in the Q2 briefing.

Orayn

Sempuukyaku said:
Yamauchi is still Nintendo's largest shareholder. Iwata is safe, and rightfully so. Look at how much ass the 3DS is kicking in Japan. Reggie and Kimishima on the other hand....
Reggie must stay. YOU CAN'T KILL THE ASS-KICKING, NAME-TAKING MESSIAH!

Top Bottom