• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Q1 results - $220 Million Quarterly Loss, 1.86M 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Why? He was using Japan as proof as to why smartphone/tablet gaming isn't booming. I replied by mentioning console gaming being almost dead over there yet the opposite outside of Japan? Seems reasonable to say Japan isn't a good indicator of these things.

And you think handhelds will still be around then? Come on...
Man, there will be at least another Nintendo dedicated handheld within 5/10 years. It's a no brain to predict it.

Man, there will be at least another Nintendo dedicated handheld within 5/10 years. It's a no brain to predict it.

I don't agree, especially with the latter end of that range. I also believe this will be the last dedicated console generation, but that's another story.

Striek

No it hadnt. The 3ds is still outpacing it.

Like iwata said it took the ds 2+ years to stabalize.
The figures are in the OP for you to compare.

That 3DS to DS comparison wont hold water for much longer. The DS had a slow start (partially because the GBA was still selling a lot - the DS is providing much less competition to the 3DS) but at a similar point in its life to where the 3DS is now its going to steam forward. NSMB2 + XL need to do some serious work for the 3DS to keep ahead. Even in Japan the 3DS is nowhere close to the DS once it starts taking off.

And the DS had taken off by Holiday 2005 (one year) in Japan and June 2006 (19 months) elsewhere.

BlackJace

Based on your posts, I'm guessing you don't live in the U.S. The iPhone is not a premiere luxury item in the U.S., period.

They're very common now and have been for a while. Any other American can back me up on that.

How are smartphones and tablets a fad? I don't even know how to respond to that.

Why do you keep leaving the iPad out of this.? Just because many people have one, doesn't mean that its not a luxury.

And yes, I'm here in good old Maryland.

Like someone else said, Blackberries were the shit a few years back. I bet no one back then could've predicted the smartphone and tablet boom.
Who's to say something else won't rise and take it's place?

M3d10n

Why? He was using Japan as proof as to why smartphone/tablet gaming isn't booming. I replied by mentioning console gaming being almost dead over there yet the opposite outside of Japan? Seems reasonable to say Japan isn't a good indicator of these things.

The point wasn't to "proof" wheter smartphones/tablets are booming or not. The point is that smartphone/tablet gaming isn't automatically guaranteed to obliterate other forms of gaming into oblivion "just because".

In that territory there are factors at play that make people still see value in gaming handhelds. If smartphones/tablets were complete supersets of dedicated handheld gaming, this wouldn't happen.

Kazerei

Banned
I give 3DS a couple years before it becomes irrelevant in terms of sales and mindshare. The markets for smart phones and tablet gaming are only going to get bigger and bigger as time passes, while handheld gaming has already reached it's peak and is clearly on the way down. I thought this was the general consensus? Don't have to be an analyst to figure that out.

DS has already reached its peak. 3DS is just getting started. Sales are ramping up.

I agree that the handheld market this gen will probably end up being smaller than last gen. I doubt 3DS+PSV will reach the same mark that DS+PSP did. However, you're reeeeally overstating the effect of smartphones, and apparently ignoring Japan, the one region where 3DS is already enjoying success.

/didn't read the rest of the thread

Smartphone gaming became a thing once everyone upgraded from Blackberry and Bejeweled. The biggest blow was the almost complete loss of a market for games like $30 Tetris on dedicated handhelds - consumers now expect simple games like this to be .99-$4.99 at most.

How are they losing money if:

3DS is break even

DS massively profitable hardware

Ditto Wii

All the software...

They just reached the break-even point with the 3DS this month. Any profits seen from the hardware would be reflected in the next 3 month fiscal report.

DS sales are trash. Software sales are down YoY for every piece of hardware sans 3DS, which has a lower attach rate than either of their previous handhelds.

NSMB2, the 3DSXL (cheaper hardware at higher price), and the Wii U launch will be huge for Nintendo turning back towards profitability.

Exactly $3.1975 billion. Look, I don't know. I'm speaking in Pachteranese in the sense that this is what I feel the market is heading towards -- that it has reached its peak and is now on the decline, while smart phone and tablet gaming is the opposite.

Maybe Vita's failure and all the articles we've been inundated with saying smart phones and tablets are gonna usurp handhelds has made me overly negative towards their future. Or maybe I'm on the right track and they're done in a couple years, I don't know.
One of the problem about this discussion is that people never talk about the problems of smartphones and tablets, the only "arguments" they ever bring up is "the market is growing", true, but not that convincing if you ask me.

The figures are in the OP for you to compare.

That 3DS to DS comparison wont hold water for much longer. The DS had a slow start (partially because the GBA was still selling a lot - the DS is providing much less competition to the 3DS) but at a similar point in its life to where the 3DS is now its going to steam forward. NSMB2 + XL need to do some serious work for the 3DS to keep ahead. Even in Japan the 3DS is nowhere close to the DS once it starts taking off.

And the DS had taken off by Holiday 2005 (one year) in Japan and June 2006 (19 months) elsewhere.

But right now they do compare.

The 3ds had a slow start too if you didnt notice

And you might not remember but when the 3ds came out the ds and psp were providing heavy competition, now you include smart phones

and it STILL sold more.

And if the 3ds doesnt eventually sell more than the ds, is it a failure? does it matter?

not really

No hardware sales ever are probablyu going to reach 150 million again, ask sony how that went with the ps3

Smartphone gaming became a thing once everyone upgraded from Blackberry and Bejeweled. The biggest blow was the almost complete loss of a market for games like $30 Tetris on dedicated handhelds - consumers now expect simple games like this to be .99-$4.99 at most.

They just reached the break-even point with the 3DS this month. Any profits seen from the hardware would be reflected in the next 3 month fiscal report.

DS sales are trash. Software sales are down YoY for every piece of hardware sans 3DS, which has a lower attach rate than either of their previous handhelds.

NSMB2, the 3DSXL (cheaper hardware at higher price), and the Wii U launch will be huge for Nintendo turning back towards profitability.

I dont think thats true at all, your still seeing games like tetris on dedicated systems.

Road

I actually think Wii has the potential for a decent life as a secondary budget console, and could do really well at $99 alongside Wii U.

Unfortunately, I also know how Nintendo operates, so that won't be happening. They forcibly killed GBA prematurely, are now doing the same to DS (where are the shipments?) and Wii will follow the same pattern. I mean just look at the 1st party software schedule.

We'll probably get to $99 in spring 2013, and Nintendo will simultaneously start cutting off supply to phase it out.

Where they're supposed to be?

NA shipment:
- 3DS: 420k
- DS: 400k

Japan:
- 3DS: 920k
- DS: 10k

Others:
- 3DS: 530k
- DS: 130k

If nobody is buying DS elsewhere, there's not much Nintendo can do. =P

Does anyone have a list of Nintendo's quarterly losses/earnings over the past, say, ten years?

I've been keeping this sheet for fun here and there. It only covers this generation. (and the yearly tab needs to be updated)

You can go to Nintendo's yearly index for earnings data since y2k.

Eh, it's impossible, they have that big amount of money. They didn't lose 6 billions last year.

EDIT: ...Maybe that's the total cash in Dollars? I mean, the part of the Cash they've decided to change from Yen to Dollars. There's one with Euros too. I repeat, however, they should have 9 billions of pure money, with no debts, still.

For some reason, and while I should have been doing other stuff, I created a tab in that sheet which is a collation of Nintendo's cash, current assets and total assets from March 2000 up until now. It's pretty bad in some respects, though I have no idea how to calculate how much of that is due to the economy, and how much of it is due to Nintendo. It is interesting to note that they have not been nearly this low on Cash during this entire millennium, and that they are basically at the same point in Total Assets as they were just before the Wii came out.

Pokemon will ensure Nintendo being able to release a viable handheld in the west and Japan will make it extremely profitable. Trying to ignore japan and saying handhelds will be irrelevant is insanely stupid imo.

Hiltz

What do people feel Nintendo has to sell of 3DS in North America for it to light the charts on fire? I don't think we'll be seeing 500k a month figures like we saw of the DS, but 250-300k or something?

I'm thinking New Super Mario Brothers 2 and Pokemon Black & White 2.

while handheld gaming has already reached it's peak and is clearly on the way down.

Even if this is true (and, in fairness, I certainly don't think 3DS will reach DS heights)... how on Earth does that translate as 3DS being dead in the water? Christ alone knows that a console can be successful and profitable without hitting those sorts of highs.

Is it impossible to see a future with handhelds filling a smaller yet profitable niche?

Effect

Number of 3DS software titles released in this last quarter:

Japan

Nintendo - 3
Third Party - 22
Total - 25

The Americas

Nintendo - 2
Third Party - 14
Total - 16

Other

Nintendo - 2
Third Party - 20
Total - 22

Downloadable games are not included.

They need to really fix this. I don't see this equaling out in the future either. I wouldn't be surprised if the gap widened.

I also still question the impact NSMB2 will have. It will be big but not at as big as some are expecting.

The problem with 3DS in the west is that we don't have software flowing like in Japan with their constant releases. Nintendo really needs to have worldwide launches of their games planned from the start.

I guess it was smart that I imported a JP 3DS because a lot of games won't make it here. Project X Zone looks cool but I can't help but think it will be localized eventually.

I dont think thats true at all, your still seeing games like tetris on dedicated systems.

And those kinds of games are never going to be system sellers as traditional retail games, since there are literally hundreds of cheaper alternatives.

The problem with 3DS in the west is that we don't have software flowing like in Japan with their constant releases. Nintendo really needs to have worldwide launches of their games planned from the start.

Nintendo's release philosophy has almost always erred on the side of conservative. They will "wait and see" on any title that may not have a guaranteed audience in the West (which has the effect of dampening excitement for these titles if people give up on them being translated), and I'm convinced they stagger releases to buff up certain fiscal quarters.

People should keep in mind the value of the yen is a BIG factor in this. If you made the yen worth the same instead of worth more vs the dollar, nintendo would actually have a net profit.

Plus what they took in for the quater is more then the same quater last year. So if you account for wii u research and the value of the yen you can see the figures. Nintendos problem has nothing to do with the wii stinks. They announced the Wii U too early (vs when the hardware launches) so now nobody will buy a new wii when their is a new console coming out.

People should keep in mind the value of the yen is a BIG factor in this. If you made the yen worth the same instead of worth more vs the dollar, nintendo would actually have a net profit.

Plus what they took in for the quater is more then the same quater last year. So if you account for wii u research and the value of the yen you can see the figures. Nintendos problem has nothing to do with the wii stinks. They announced the Wii U too early (vs when the hardware launches) so now nobody will buy a new wii when their is a new console coming out.

Nobody was going to buy the Wii anyway. Software schedule has been dry as hell.It is important to note how badly the yen difference is hurting them though.

They had an operating loss without even factoring in the currency losses and the Euro is the big issue, not the dollar.

Actually their revenue was down from the same quarter last year. R&D was also down, so WiiU research really didn't have anything to do with it.

Shiggy

iOS is really eating into Nintendo's market. They need to create some innovative titles besides their obvious sequels of Pokemon and Mario if they want to get the Art Academy, Brain Training, and Wii Fit crowd back on board. I don't think that simple sequels will do it for that audience.

ZoddGutts

Yet with nary an ad about iOS gaming apparently, the iPad tops the most wanted lists for kids 6-12...

nielsen-holiday-full.jpg

iPad mini alone will be crazy high on the list.

And you think handhelds will still be around then? Come on...

The comparison isn't even similar. iPhones/Droids(smartphones) in 5-10 years will be replaced by something else. Cell phone technology is still rapidly evolving.

With dedicated handhelds your talking about a section of the market completely erasing. When I say Smartphones will be replaced in 5-10 years that's like saying the 3DS will be replaced by a succesor. Maybe not neccesarily, Nintendo, but I believe a market for dedicated gaming handhelds will still be around. It's common sense that smartphones will eventually be replaced by something newer and better just like our current dedicated gaming handhelds will be replaced in 5-10 years by something better.

Boney

Banned
Number of 3DS software titles released in this last quarter:

Japan

Nintendo - 3
Third Party - 22
Total - 25

The Americas

Nintendo - 2
Third Party - 14
Total - 16

Other

Nintendo - 2
Third Party - 20
Total - 22

Downloadable games are not included.

Nintendo, especially NOA should be actively working with 3rd parties to bring a steady stream of content and create a healthy software environment. Take some cues from NOE.

Based on your posts, I'm guessing you don't live in the U.S. The iPhone is not a premiere luxury item in the U.S., period. Nor is it $299:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPh...ligible-upgrade-with-2-year-contract/13082132

They're very common now and have been for a while. Any other American can back me up on that.

How are smartphones and tablets a fad? I don't even know how to respond to that.

Find out how much they are WITHOUT that 2 year contract needed for that price. Hell, a new Ipod touch is 200 and that's without it being a phone.

You can't really use the Vita as an example of the handheld market going away based on the fact that the software is the main issue with it's slow sales. You might say it's the price but everyone knows if it had that killer title, it would pick up in sales. Although I definitely don't agree that handhelds will be gone in 5 years, I will say that the following months will truly be the test for it. Nintendo is coming out with a lot of titles (NSMB2, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario) so we'll really find out if people are interested in the handheld market or not.

Vinci

Danish
In the end, I think the biggest hurdle for the 3DS has been that it simply isn't that interesting and doesn't allow for the sort of new experiences that the DS did. Relative to what it offers, and the software it has on hand and how samey it is, it is a bit overpriced.

ASIS

In the end, I think the biggest hurdle for the 3DS has been that it simply isn't that interesting and doesn't allow for the sort of new experiences that the DS did. Relative to what it offers, and the software it has on hand and how samey it is, it is a bit overpriced.

Moreover, it goes against Nintendo's own core principles in designing handhelds (I.E: battery life).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Where they're supposed to be?

NA shipment:
- 3DS: 420k
- DS: 400k

Japan:
- 3DS: 920k
- DS: 10k

Others:
- 3DS: 530k
- DS: 130k

If nobody is buying DS elsewhere, there's not much Nintendo can do. =P
Reminds me of the GBA vs DS sales in the Western market.

Tenki

I think the main problem of the 3DS in the West is the software. In Japan the list of games which are released every month is amazing, and the future is very bright.

In the US and Europe obviously it isn't so great. Who knows, maybe now that they are profitable, they start doing the things better.

antonz

I think the main problem of the 3DS in the West is the software. In Japan the list of games which are released every month is amazing, and the future is very bright.

In the US and Europe obviously it isn't so great. Who knows, maybe now that they are profitable, they start doing the things better.

3DS is getting impacted hard in the US too by NOA not killing off the DS. Half of Nintendo Handheld sales each month are basically DS and the other half 3DS. NOA is keeping the DS on too long and would probably see 3DS dales become much better with the DS line axed

The US should start doing better with Kingdom Hearts releasing soon then NSMB2 & XL. After that there seems to be a steady release schedule. Unlike the first half of 2012 which was spotty.

Glass Joe

Good to see Nintendo righting the ship, if the expected losses were worse. I still don't understand entirely how they can have their biggest hit devices (Wii and DS) still in use, along with "evergreen titles" that sell at full price even though they're not new, AND still get a loss, but I guess that 3DS price cut was pretty extreme. Maybe the Wii U R&D was high too?

I think the importance of smart phones went from understated to completely overrated. Many don't use them to game. Or if they do, they'll only check out a couple pop-culture games for a buck, and quickly move on. In fact, maybe a few get hooked for the first time and actually look for deeper gameplay experiences? Kind of a gaming gateway drug, the way Brain Age and Wii Sports were. "Because of Angry Birds, I'll buy a DS since I now realize I love gaming!"

But I don't think many "gamers" permanently gave up on handhelds, as the button-less and inexpensive experiences - at least for the time being - can only do so much. And "complex" games, the graphically intensive ones, drain the battery pretty damn quick. While that's true of any device, that matters more when you're also depending on that device to do other things such as make calls, play music, screw around Facebook, etc.

Smart phones are sort of a 3rd pillar at the moment, along with console gaming and true portable gaming. There's the ability for them to eventually take over, sure. But there's also the ability for that ecosystem to crash, such as Zynga's recent stock plummet... Along with the realization that $1 games really have to sell TONS of copies in order for them to net the same profit a traditional handheld game "hit" would. Anyway predictions aside, maybe smart phones are eating up the portable share little by little (or a lot by lot), but its nowhere near taking over yet.

Someone earlier predicted the 3DS will be Nintendo's last handheld. I don't think so. In fact, looking at the Japanese trend... If I were to make a crazy prediction, I'd lean toward the opposite. Consoles are sputtering out and I think it would be more likely for Nintendo to stop making dedicated consoles down the line.

Maybe not next gen, but eventually, I think Nintendo handhelds will be playable on the TV and become their "console experiences." The Wii U is almost an indication that this direction is sneaking in already. Suddenly console games can be streamed wirelessly to a portable-like controller. What if their portable games in the future could be streamed wirelessly to the television?

3DS only now is breaking even, still making a loss in Q1, which this report is based on, also
the Yen.

Well. About the 3DS breaking even / selling for profit....
From Gamesutra:
"Update: Due to a misinterpretation, the original version of this story erroneously reported that Nintendo is no longer selling the 3DS at a loss versus its manufacturing cost. The story has been updated to fix this error. "

It now says:
"It also noted that, while it is still selling the 3DS at a loss, that margin is improving."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/174700/Nintendos_losses_narrow_as_3DS_margins_improve.php

Pretty incredible that they are still selling at loss. I guess everyone who kept insisting Nintendo were being extremely greedy with the 250 pricetag were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom