• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Q1 results - $220 Million Quarterly Loss, 1.86M 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

3DS is getting impacted hard in the US too by NOA not killing off the DS. Half of Nintendo Handheld sales each month are basically DS and the other half 3DS. NOA is keeping the DS on too long and would probably see 3DS dales become much better with the DS line axed
I'm sure that after B&W2, Nintendo will kill off the DS and try to clear stock of them during the Holidays. Going forward into next year, it will be all 3DS and 3DS XL from Nintendo handhelds.

That's what I would expect

goomba

Banned
Yet with nary an ad about iOS gaming apparently, the iPad tops the most wanted lists for kids 6-12...

nielsen-holiday-full.jpg

Playstation Vita not even on the list..

AzaK

Iwata mentioned some time ago that Nintendo is aiming for profitability for this FY, but with such a loss, albeit smaller than last year at this time, do they really have any chance to turn it around in the next 3 quarters?

What's generally the pattern over the quarters for their handhelds?

Also, I'm not in such disagreement with Heavy. The 3DS is knowingly struggling a bit in the US and Iwata has talked about not being happy with the momentum there. They have yet to find their Brain Training for the 3DS.

Playstation Vita not even on the list..

Most kids think a Vita is this
Lgt1c.jpg

Miles X

Yet with nary an ad about iOS gaming apparently, the iPad tops the most wanted lists for kids 6-12...

nielsen-holiday-full.jpg

These little nielson forecast chart things they do never seem to accurately portray anything, obviously Apple products top the list but there is no way PS3 is more popular with kids than Xbox and Wii ... the numbers last year suggested the complete opposite.

Somnid

Iwata mentioned some time ago that Nintendo is aiming for profitability for this FY, but with such a loss, albeit smaller than last year at this time, do they really have any chance to turn it around in the next 3 quarters?

What's generally the pattern over the quarters for their handhelds?

Also, I'm not in such disagreement with Heavy. The 3DS is knowingly struggling a bit in the US and Iwata has talked about not being happy with the momentum there. They have yet to find their Brain Training for the 3DS.

All consoles and particularly Nintendo ones do significantly more over the holidays. Like 10x. They have the the 3DS projected to be profitable again Q3, they have the 3DS XL which is probably a small profit or break even, lots of hot software, and Wii U. They will likely turn it around. The fact it's projected to be a small profit is perhaps telling of how much more they expect to lose or expected non-profit/losses on Wii U.

I could see letting a kid borrow or operate an iPad that the whole family own, but what the hell at buying a 6 year old an iPad for themselves. I don't know if I even trust my 10 year old brother (who has one) with it.

Edit: Nintendo may not be profitable next quarter. Next quarter is when they will ramp up production on making Wii U systems and they have no way to sell them which is a huge cost since they want to have a pretty big launch. NSMB2, 3DS XL should potentially bring in more revenue, but Nintendo is banking way too heavily on Mario to save them. Q4 will be the big time

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
could see letting a kid borrow or operate an iPad that the whole family own, but what the hell at buying a 6 year old an iPad for themselves. I don't know if I even trust my 10 year old brother (who has one) with it.

know a family of 5 with 2 iPads and 5 iPhones (2 of them for kids under 12) in the house

I have no fucking idea why

Sadly, some do.

*sigh* i feel a dick posting this but... hey ho....

my son is 3 years old, he's been using -his own- ipad since he was 2.

he can now count up to 100 in 6 languages, can do addition subtraction, knows his times tables etc and has just been accepted for Tokyo's only speciailist school for gifted children.

The Ipad is a tool - it's upto parents on how they let their kids use it. Children are sponges and the ipad can be either a distraction or a learning tool.

Please note this is part of ongoing efforts by myself, his mother and his grandfather/mother to ensure he gets as much education as he can. Not everything is evil - everything is a tool that, when used correctly, can greatly benefit children IF used correctly and used in moderation. The ipad HAS inflamed his imagination and his thirst for knowledge. No question.

(to balance this : we've used the wii for the pretty awesome Anpanman game and the odd game of mario kart for him to wind down - but to be honest? games wise he's way more into Trials Evolution ;) )

he can now count up to 100 in 6 languages, can do addition subtraction, knows his times tables etc and has just been accepted for Tokyo's only speciailist school for gifted children.

The Ipad is a tool - it's upto parents on how they let their kids use it. Children are sponges and the ipad can be either a distraction or a learning tool.

Sounds like your kid is going to be a genius anyway as most 2 year olds would barely be able to operate an iPad if you didn't set everything up for them.

DCharlie

Sounds like your kid is going to be a genius anyway as most 2 year olds would barely be able to operate an iPad if you didn't set everything up for them.

not really - you'll be surprised how kids are extremely quick at picking this sort of stuff up from observational learning and trial and error. His ability to use the ipad isn't a sign of genius in any way, shape or form.

It's also a testiment to the way the product works in that it's that intuitive that a kid that young can use it. It's not like my son is unique in this way - Jonnyrams kids and many other kids we come into contact with here are equally at home with the ipad.

The issue, personally, is with -how- the ipad is used - we use it as an aid to learning - i've seen other parents use it as a means to shut their kids up.

AzaK

Please note this is part of ongoing efforts by myself, his mother and his grandfather/mother to ensure he gets as much education as he can. Not everything is evil - everything is a tool that, when used correctly, can greatly benefit children IF used correctly and used in moderation. The ipad HAS inflamed his imagination and his thirst for knowledge. No question.

(to balance this : we've used the wii for the pretty awesome Anpanman game and the odd game of mario kart for him to wind down - but to be honest? games wise he's way more into Trials Evolution ;) )

What apps would you recommend? I find it very hard to find apps of good educational value on the App Store, so I have essentially given up. (BTW: I have had a number of people (including teachers) say that my boy is gifted, which is why I ask)

Drago

As far as quoting me goes, the family I'm talking about has iPads simply for entertainment, and I don't think you really need more than one for that. Giving an expensive smartphone to a young kid who wont use it for much other than apps would probably be better off with a cheap phone + iPod touch combo, I would think. They are great items but some families give them out like candy when they really shouldn't be, especially if they wont be used for an advantage.

As for your kid, it's all about good parenting and using resources wisely, and you seem to be doing a great job at it. Seriously, congratulations about your son :)

Do you actually expect people to believe this?

I don't see why he would lie. I was reciting entire bible passages from memory at that age. I guess I may have underestimated a kid's ability to pick up on that kind of stuff. I can see that as an educational tool it can be useful. I would just have a hard time dropping 500 bucks for a kid's own device. This is where I think the iPad mini will be huge.

DCharlie

What apps would you recommend? I find it very hard to find apps of good educational value on the App Store, so I have essentially given up. (BTW: I have had a number of people (including teachers) say that my boy is gifted, which is why I ask)

there's been a number of apps we've used - but a lot has come from his obsession with alphabets and numbers. In truth, a lot has come from youtube in terms of him wanting to learn to count in various languages.

re: gifted - this was a -real- source of stress as i was largely sceptical that he was "gifted" - just ... i dunno... enthusiastic? But he's been for a couple of "IQ tests" and some of the stuff he did in those tests shocked the crap out of me. I'd strongly suggest if you think he maybe gifted to check out some of the assessment centers and take it from there.

DCharlie

Do you actually expect people to believe this?

what gain do i get by making it up given at least about 30 people i know in real life are GAFfers and would know i was talking straight up bullshit?

I should add that because he's doing crazy stuff NOW doesn't mean he's a genius, or that his giftedness will progress on beyond where he is - but we'll put him in a school that explores that for 2 years or so then take it from there. BUT the point is that the ipad -has- played a part as an important tool in his progression.

Kozak

Banned
So do parents actually buy a 6-12 year old an Ipad? Seems a little nuts to me if they do.

I've seen worse...parents going nuts for their 6-12 years old's Ipads

like Phil Dunphy but worse

Sadly, some do.

Whats so wrong with young kids having an iPad? My cousin is only 4 years old and has one. Its a great learning tool and he is seriously ahead of where he should be when it comes to his education.

Seriously, I would definitely recommend that more young children are exposed to iPads. As long as there is parental supervision its a great learning tool.

Somnid

Doubt it. I've had quite a few people tell me how they are amazed their child was smart enough to figure out an iPad at 2-3 years old. Of course iPad has only been around 3 years which is why people don't have a frame of reference but even gorillas have been known to use them. It's perhaps testament to the device rather than the child or people just underestimate children.

Drago

Seriously, I would definitely recommend that more young children are exposed to iPads. As long as there is parental supervision its a great learning tool.
A lot of kids will probably want the iPad not to learn, but to play games/browse the internet/etc.

As a learning tool for young kids, it's a great tool to use, definitely. I'd use one too if I had young ones. Most kids don't want to use it to learn though, they just want the next big thing and to have fun with it, and that's where the problem with pricing and care comes in, I would think.

AzaK

there's been a number of apps we've used - but a lot has come from his obsession with alphabets and numbers. In truth, a lot has come from youtube in terms of him wanting to learn to count in various languages.

re: gifted - this was a -real- source of stress as i was largely sceptical that he was "gifted" - just ... i dunno... enthusiastic? But he's been for a couple of "IQ tests" and some of the stuff he did in those tests shocked the crap out of me. I'd strongly suggest if you think he maybe gifted to check out some of the assessment centers and take it from there.

We use youtube a lot as our boy is a sponge and loves to learn. Any names of Apps would be really appreciated.

As far as an assessment, we've been told by a some people to wait a bit as it can be hard to detect until they are about 4 (He's nearly 3) but we should probably investigate some more.

Thanks

DCharlie

As a learning tool for young kids, it's a great tool to use, definitely. I'd use one too if I had young ones. Most kids don't want to use it to learn though, they just want the next big thing and to have fun with it, and that's where the problem with pricing and care comes in, I would think.

yeah - i agree with this sentiment once you get above a certain age where social pressures start eeking in. At a younger age - obviously that hasn't quite set in yet.

As far as an assessment, we've been told by a some people to wait a bit as it can be hard to detect until they are about 4 (He's nearly 3) but we should probably investigate some more.

the tests he did were fairly interesting - we were watching for one where he was asked to say the alphabet backwards (he'd just turned 3). Wife and I were like "lol - he's not going to be able to do that!" and away he went... pretty much as fast as saying it forward. I tried doing it afterwards...

"Z.... erm.... Y.... X..... um.... .... sod this, lets go for coffee"

but as pointed out to you - getting a true grasp on being truly gifted isn't going to come to much later. So we are under no illusions but want to give him a chance at having different learning -methods- exposed to him.

will dig out some apps tonight when i get home and let you know.

jrDev

My 3 year old sister surprises me every single time she uses my iPhone/Android tabs or Kindle Fire...Lots of educational apps on these things. Of course she loves to play the games, angry birds or temple run, and she is really good at them, especially TR...

She is pretty advanced though I guess. All her colors, shapes, counting to ten in Spanish etc...

AzaK

yeah - i agree with this sentiment once you get above a certain age where social pressures start eeking in. At a younger age - obviously that hasn't quite set in yet.

the tests he did were fairly interesting - we were watching for one where he was asked to say the alphabet backwards (he'd just turned 3). Wife and I were like "lol - he's not going to be able to do that!" and away he went... pretty much as fast as saying it forward. I tried doing it afterwards...

"Z.... erm.... Y.... X..... um.... .... sod this, lets go for coffee"

but as pointed out to you - getting a true grasp on being truly gifted isn't going to come to much later. So we are under no illusions but want to give him a chance at having different learning -methods- exposed to him.

will dig out some apps tonight when i get home and let you know.

Wow, alphabet backwards at 3 is amazing.

Thanks

Mr. Robot

I don't want to be a downer for all the people that claim their kids can do interesting stuff at a young age, but that is not a sign of a kid being a genius or gifted, but more as a sign of a kid just being a kid, like someone earlier said, kids are underestimated at the things they can do and they are also like sponges, and saying the alphabet in a thousand languages might seem incredible, but it has nothing to do with the true potential of a kid...

But to make it short, im gonna mention the case of the A++ student that is an inept at logical thinking and reasoning, im not saying that the Ipad and such devices are bad, but most of the times those devices corrupt the childrens learning, even more so now, in the days of social networking, teens posting nude pictures of themselves, and tantrums/suicides because they didn't get latest gadget as a gift.

Cipherr

The heck, jumping in on the last page of this thread is awkward. How exactly did a thread about a quarterly get to discussions about teaching toddlers their ABC's?

Often many "gifted" children, or ones that are highly developed in one area will have slower development in other areas to compensate.

Regardless, I don't see in any case presented that the iPad needs to belong to or be bought for the child exclusively.

That said, what I find egregious is children asking for iPads. Any child who has the audacity to ask for a present that costs that much, especially if it's for general internet browsing and games, deserves to receive nothing, in my opinion.

Besides, how does iPads used for educational purposes affect sales of videogame hardware? That was the point, I thought, - whether or not young kids were having iPads bought for them/asking for iPads to play games instead of handhelds.

DCharlie

I don't want to be a downer for all the people that claim their kids can do interesting stuff at a young age, but that is not a sign of a kid being a genius or gifted, but more as a sign of a kid just being a kid, like someone earlier said, kids are underestimated at the things they can do and they are also like sponges, and saying the alphabet in a thousand languages might seem incredible, but it has nothing to do with the true potential of a kid...

already agreed above that it's not a sign of being truly talented - we're pretty realistic about where our kid stands as mentioned above. However, the ipad as a learning tool has been a revelation : which was more the point.

AzaK

already agreed above that it's not a sign of being truly talented - we're pretty realistic about where our kid stands as mentioned above. However, the ipad as a learning tool has been a revelation : which was more the point.

Yeah sorry to derail the thread a bit, I was just genuinely interested in the iPad as an educational tool.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If they brought over the Japanese game selection from overseas, I doubt the company would have had theses losses.

Oh well, it's their loss.

If they brought over the Japanese game selection from overseas, I doubt the company would have had theses losses.

1st Party is missing 3 titles this year: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Brain Training.

All three will be localised in the US at least. All three require significant amounts of localisation/translation.

Japanese 3rd Parties are responsible for their own localisation, except for special cases. Some Japanese games just wouldn't do well on the Western market, relative to the cost to bring them over.

Western 3rd Parties generally treat handheld gaming like it's 1992.

Drago

A lot of the Japanese game selection is very niche and wouldn't appeal to more than a few people in the long run.

We need the same software flow Japan has, but with games relevant to the West.

I would love to have the Japanese game selection though :p

Mr. Robot

Im pretty sure that your kid is on a good way since you seem to be a great parent, but i just wanted to get that out there.

Actually my girlfriend and i had a talk about this recently, since her sister has a 2 and a half year old boy and my cousing has a 2 and a half year old girl, and it is interesting how while the boy can talk and count and sing and such, the girl seems to communicate better while not talking as well and also how she figures her way around things.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
1st Party is missing 3 titles this year: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Brain Training.

All three will be localised in the US at least. All three require significant amounts of localisation/translation.

Japanese 3rd Parties are responsible for their own localisation, except for special cases. Some Japanese games just wouldn't do well on the Western market, relative to the cost to bring them over.

Western 3rd Parties generally treat handheld gaming like it's 1992.

I'm part of the small minority of people that would support these Japanese games. Don't tell anyone, but I think that Japanese games murder Western games more than half of the time.

A lot of the Japanese game selection is very niche and wouldn't appeal to more than a few people in the long run.

I'm niche, I'm niche! But refresh my memory, what has been an exceptional Western title to grace a portable console in this past decade? Besides Uncharted.

I think we need all the Japanese culture we can get.

I'm part of the small minority of people that would support these Japanese games. Don't tell anyone, but I think that Japanese games murder Western games more than half of the time.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I own a Japanese 3DS. I love me some Japanese games.

Really, though, the US is getting or going to get most of the major releases this year on the system. The smaller games - Girls RPG, Senran Kagura, etc - probably won't come.

I'm niche, I'm niche! But refresh my memory, what has been an exceptional Western title to grace a portable console in this past decade? Besides Uncharted.

Epic Mickey 2 could be cool...right?

Drago

I agree, and large Western support won't happen too soon. I really want to see more localizations, but they wont be here until 2013 at least.

Having a steady flow of good, relevant games is what the 3DS needs in America and Europe to help keep the system itself relevant. That is coming in the later months, at least in NA. There's at least 8 games I want to get for the rest of the year, but they need that type of software year-round, not for just half of it.

DCharlie

Im pretty sure that your kid is on a good way since you seem to be a great parent, but i just wanted to get that out there.

Actually my girlfriend and i had a talk about this recently, since her sister has a 2 and a half year old boy and my cousing has a 2 and a half year old girl, and it is interesting how while the boy can talk and count and sing and such, the girl seems to communicate better while not talking as well and also how she figures her way around things.

absolutely - i agree with the sentiment totally :)

anyways, i will stop derailing :)

SMT

Hey, don't get me wrong, I own a Japanese 3DS. I love me some Japanese games.

Really, though, the US is getting or going to get most of the major releases this year on the system. The smaller games - Girls RPG, Senran Kagura, etc - probably won't come.

Epic Mickey 2 could be cool...right?

I was interested in the game with the Japanese girl Samurai school, there was the girl with the eyepatch. She was cool, Big Boss cool. Sure there are some who will ridicule the anime audience and point to COD 3.

I haven't tried the first Epic Mickey, I didn't know the second was coming to 3DS, thought it was that spinoff Power of Illusion. I'm sure my father would have liked it.

I agree, and large Western support won't happen too soon. I really want to see more localizations, but they wont be here until 2013 at least.

Having a steady flow of good, relevant games is what the 3DS needs in America and Europe to help keep the system itself relevant. That is coming in the later months, at least in NA. There's at least 8 games I want to get for the rest of the year, but they need that type of software year-round, not for just half of it.

We need obscure titles as well, I'm pretty sure the Japanese market is shy when it comes to the anime girl games, but they're fun! There's been so much of a drought here, that the majority of 'old' 3DS games have been marked down to 7-12 dollars.

Drago

I can see a lot more obscure titles being localized, released only digitally. Not having to pay for distribution and not having to fight for retail space could be a big incentive to bring over titles that wouldn't otherwise. It would definitely help with the droughts

It's the one thing I want to see come out of digital releases on 3DS and WiiU.

Effect

Sadly that's not going to happen with the way things are going. Western developers just don't care and short of Nintendo funding the development of some games I doubt we'll see a change. Even then the end result might not be good because I doubt western developers will put their A or even their B team on the game. The niche Japanese games are what we have to hope for. I don't mind them to be honest. There is no telling what would click. Thing is many Japanese developers seem like they don't even try or worse yet still don't design games with the thought of trying to sell it outside of Japan at the start of development after all this time. Well the smaller companies anyway. Maybe localization really is to much but then that should fall on Nintendo to try to work something out so their platform doesn't falter outside of Japan when they can't put out games themselves.

M-PG71C

Considering the expectations was that the loss was projected to be much greater, excellent. Everyone knew the loss was coming, the fact it was considerably less is great news.

That and today marks when the 3DS makes a profit per unit sold is also good. Things should be looking much better for them the next time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom