• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Conference Japan thread (thx to neo2046)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

ethelred

neo2046

ethelred said:
Tremendously lame conference. :/
the conference today is mainly for retailers
the main purpose is to reveal the marketing plan to the retailers

This + Famitsu = Nintendo announcements overload today ?
there should be more new DS games announced in Famitsu

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Smiles and Cries said:
the whole site is updated even the english section http://us.wii.com/

Those videos are honestly kind of amazing. Like... I've known how the Wii works for a long time... hell I've played it twice now... but I don't know that I *truly* bought into it until just now.

All the videos are good, but the Italian couple is probably the best. Just hanging out having a laid-back, good time, wii remote in hand. The ultimate party system?

The ":-o" face people make the very first time they interact with it is priceless, too.

I dunno... I mean I know these are Nintendo marketing devices, but still... I don't think Sony and MS have products that could produce videos like this for young and old, hip and nerdy, male and female... across national bounderies, as well.

Hell, watching the videos put a giant smile on MY face.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I liked the one with the old japanese couple haha that one was hilarious the old woman reactions.

the green shirt girl is very pretty.

GDJustin said:
Those videos are honestly kind of amazing. Like... I've known how the Wii works for a long time... hell I've played it twice now... but I don't know that I *truly* bought into it until just now.

All the videos are good, but the Italian couple is probably the best. Just hanging out having a laid-back, good time, wii remote in hand. The ultimate party system?

The ":-o" face people make the very first time they interact with it is priceless, too.

I dunno... I mean I know these are Nintendo marketing devices, but still... I don't think Sony and MS have products that could produce videos like this for young and old, hip and nerdy, mail and female... across national bounderies, as well.

My only concern with the Wii is if old and non-gamers will actually buy one of these things. I mean it might be fun for a non-gamer to try out, but I can't picture my grandmother sitting at home with her own Wii playing bowling... can you?

Also it worries me that these Wii sport titles will get old quick, and I am still not sold on if Wii controls are better then traditional controls for standard games.

GDJustin said:

I dunno... I mean I know these are Nintendo marketing devices, but still... I don't think Sony and MS have products that could produce videos like this for young and old, hip and nerdy, mail and female... across national bounderies, as well.

My thoughts exactly. I was vocally against this at first. Argued daily that I didn't "need" a new way to control games, thank you very much"

And while I don't need a new way, I'm looking forward to the wii more and more as we get closer to it.

big_z

The lag when pitching is a little worrysome.

The japanese chick seemed like she was put in the room with no clue what to do but figured it out quickly. Her change in expression is a good sign for nintendo since most non-gamers look like she did at the start of the video even after playing a current console.

- Health Pack (code name) in development (software related to family health check )

Anal temperature check attachment ftw

I still want to see exercise/diet training. That shit is going to be a million seller easily.

GDJustin said:

I dunno... I mean I know these are Nintendo marketing devices, but still... I don't think Sony and MS have products that could produce videos like this for young and old, hip and nerdy, male and female... across national bounderies, as well.

yeah I'm going to share this with my GF as soon as I can so I can see if she would like to try it

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Karma Kramer said:
My only concern with the Wii is if old and non-gamers will actually buy one of these things. I mean it might be fun for a non-gamer to try out, but I can't picture my grandmother sitting at home with her own Wii playing bowling... can you?

Also it worries me that these Wii sport titles will get old quick, and I am still not sold on if Wii controls are better then traditional controls for standard games.

But grandmothers (and mothers, for that matter) are at the EXTREME end of the spectrum. Nintendo doesn't need to sell to grandmas for the Wii to have a much larger viable target audience than the PS3, you know? And yet they have still proven that grandmas can get into it.

I think about people like my older sister. She's 32, and played videogames a little bit when her and I lived at home, but I was always the "big" gamer of the family. When her and I go out drinking we'll play a game of Golden Tee or whatever... she's played SSX at my house too.

She isn't averse to gaming at all, but isn't the type to EVER consider buying a system. There are a LOT of 30-somethings like that out there IMO, and the Wii could very easily become their system of choice.

Edit:Basically, the point isn't "grandmas will buy Wiis." Nintendo's point is "Even grandmas can enjoy the Wii." There is NO ONE less like to understand/enjoy videogames, and yet it works on them. That's the message. If even grandmas enjoy it, who DOESN'T?

Nickovic

GDJustin said:

A big Ditto over here.
Ditto.jpg

GDJustin said:
But grandmothers (and mothers, for that matter) are at the EXTREME end of the spectrum. Nintendo doesn't need to sell to grandmas for the Wii to have a much larger viable target audience than the PS3, you know? And yet they have still proven that grandmas can get into it.

I think about people like my older sister. She's 32, and played videogames a little bit when her and I lived at home, but I was always the "big" gamer of the family. When her and I go out drinking we'll play a game of Golden Tee or whatever... she's played SSX at my house too.

She isn't averse to gaming at all, but isn't the type to EVER consider buying a system. There are a LOT of 30-somethings like that out there IMO, and the Wii could very easily become their system of choice.

Good point.

neo2046 said:
the conference today is mainly for retailers
the main purpose is to reveal the marketing plan to the retailers

Oh, I see. So we shouldn't expect any kind of MEGATON here then...

GDJustin said:

It makes me smile too. Some might say that this looks goofy or ridiculous, but in my opinion, it's really funny.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is the announcer the same guy from the Monkey Ball games? Sounds like him.

Anyway, I love the look on the Japanese kid's face at the end of the baseball video when his pitch is (apparently) hit out of the park.

P.S. - The French chick is hot.

Terrell

Karma Kramer said:
Nope, but I can see her turning the controller on its side and downloading Tetris... at least to start, anyways. Wii Sports isn't some catch-all universally appealing game, but there's plenty that'll be available for different tastes.

Kangu

Banned
Awesome DS magnet! Now you can put your DS:

-On the outside of your car!
-On your fridgerator!
-On the outside of a Submarine!
-On the inside of a submarine!
-On the metal plate in your head!
-Next to your gun(s)!
-On the underside of a plane!

3phemeral

Yeah, those videos really put the whole thing into persepctive concerning how other people perceive the controller. The older promo videos did nothing but provide ammo for Wii jokes and awkward gameplaying. These really send out a more powerful message concerning the effectiveness of the controller with regards to different demographics.

Top Bottom