• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2/17

Aldric

The problem is when people expect 2 AAA heavy hitters each and every year to release alongside 10 AA games. No one of the big three does that.
Nintendo aren't a small indie studio, they're one of the most powerful and lucrative companies in the industry with at least two dozens internal teams and close development partners. It's ridiculous to imply it's unreasonable to ask more from them than one new first party title in a 7 months period.

MagnesG

Banned
No. Most of GAF is chill folks who just like to play games and chat about them. Its only a small, very vocal minority of mental midget console warriors that do this sort of crap.
The Switch reveal up until this point, there's always been some mass BS energy being farted left and right. Or even if we go way back, it's worse.

Everything's here, right here in this site.

martino

I mean, wouldn’t you be resting on your laurels for awhile after raking in those mountains of cash from pandemic Switch sales and Animal Crossing?

Par for the course lol

I just wish it wasn’t so obvious.
It's the problem mixing '"tina" mentality approach with thing i like.....
they are always other ways who can work...it's global appreciation that really matter in the end.
lot of the focus of people using the switch is now on aa and indy games....if they are fine with it is it really a problem ?

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I guess it was a good direct if you love anime games.

there were only like 5 things here for me personally, zelda, mario golf, triangle strategy, the mana re release, and saga frontier remastered

HotPocket69

Banned
It's the problem mixing '"tina" mentality approach with thing i like.....
they are always other ways who can work...it'sd global appreciation of that really matter in the end.
lot of the focus of people using the switch is now on aa and indy games....if they are fine with it is it really a problem ?

What?

I mean, wouldn’t you be resting on your laurels for awhile after raking in those mountains of cash from pandemic Switch sales and Animal Crossing?

Par for the course lol

I just wish it wasn’t so obvious.
I mean as others said Sony could be too but they aren't. They keep a steady output of great first-party games going. Nintendo is just doing the usual thing for them where when they do good they stop trying and just do the bare minimum for games.

Gifmaker

Switch is the only console I own, although I thankfully also have a decent PC. Nice rationalization though.
Maybe there's your problem, buddy. Nintendo's gonna Nintendo, no matter what, this is what always happens. When they are successfully, they are getting lazy. No amount of complaining is gonna change that, all consumers can do is vote with their wallet.

But don't worry, the pendulum is also gonna swing the other way again eventually, and then they'll get their asses up and go in full force again. Until then, just try to enjoy what's there or look elsewhere. There's so much gaming out there, it's really not worth it to get upset about Nintendo not providing a higher output.

Gaelyon

The Direct was horrible for me, with one huge exception - Project Triangle Strategy.

Octopath Traveler is my favorite Switch game and Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my all-time favorites. This game looks made for me. Too bad it's at least a year out.

I'm exactly like you, love the tactical RPGs like FFTactics/Ogre/Fire Emblem and Project Triangle got my attention.
However I use my Switch as a secondary console (i play first on my gaming PC and Playstation) and don't care much for all the indies/aa as i already play them on my steam account. I mean Hades for instance on switch has no appeal to me as i've already own it on PC... So i'm waiting for Nintendo exclusives and the ones that shine to me are few, like Fire Emblem in 2019.

Lethal01

That direct was great

Been waiting ages for a new Mario Golf
Worlds end club is hype.
Triangle Strategy is fantastic
Splatoon 3 is a bigger deal than Galaxy 3

It's weird seeing people say it was shit then go "I'm only excited for 3 games"

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sony has been managing to release two AAA heavy hitters a year for the last couple of years
Yes, now at the very end of the console generation. Need I remind you about 2013-2015?
Point is, games need time, and BoW and Mario Odyssey were developed as Wii U titles.
Dreams
The Last of Us Part 2 - AAA
Ghost of Tsushima - AAA
Spider-man Miles Morales - AA
Demon's Souls (first-party IP, with second-party developer) - nieche title, not AAA
MLB The Show 20 - if this is AAA so is Mario Golf
Sackboy A Big Adventure - AA

There is no good reason why we don't have a new Mario Kart. The only one on the Switch was a port not even an official new entry. It's been 8 years. That team could've had one ready but we know that Nintendo isn't doing it because of greed. MK8 sells so well they just say "Well we don't need to give them a new one." That's their problem
You already mentioned the reason. Nintendo is a business and not your friend that feeds your games. I'd love a new Mario Kart and I am sure they already got it deep in development, but they don't want to cannibalize Mario Kart 8's sales.

I don't expect it every year. But it's been 2 years now.
I really doubt you don't have anything to play right now on Switch. If this is actually the case this isn't the console for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, now at the very end of the console generation. Need I remind you about 2013-2015?
Point is, games need time, and BoW and Mario Odyssey were developed as Wii U titles.

And? Need I remind you the Switch is in its 4th year?

PS4 ended the generation with The Last of Us and Ghosts of Tsushima, and they're going into the next generation with Horizon, GT7, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank among others in its first year. That's effecitvely 4 - 5 years straight of a minimum of 2 AAA games a year.

Time isn't the issue here. It's there lack of investment. Both Microsoft and Sony understand games need time, and they're investing into their studios and growing to account for that.

Last edited:

Gifmaker

No. I can play big third party titles on Steam and I don't give a fuck about Sony or Microsoft's first party exclusives, that's not the issue.
Then your expectations are off, which I think is a bigger issue than Nintendo's actual output - but luckily also one that, unlike the other, you can actually resolve. I know the feeling from the Wii and Wii U days. It's just not worth it to have such negative feelings towards their output, I think.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
And? Need I remind you the Switch is in its 4th year?

PS4 ended the generation with The Last of Us and Ghosts of Tsushima, and they're going into the next generation with Horizon, GT7, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank among others in its first year.
Nintendo is focused on the first few years. Sony is focused on the last few years of the console. PS5 is the smoothest transition they ever had and I bet all those games were developed for PS4 first, which is not surprising considering plenty of release on PS4 too.

Also, we need to consider that were are still in February and the release list of new titles is stacked on Switch. Monster Hunter alone will be huge.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo aren't a small indie studio, they're one of the most powerful and lucrative companies in the industry with at least two dozens internal teams and close development partners. It's ridiculous to imply it's unreasonable to ask more from them than one new first party title in a 7 months period.
There was Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and Hyrule Warriors 2 as new releases last year on top of the remakes/remasters. Those are maybe not the type of games you are looking for and they are maybe not as budget heavy as Mario Odyssey, but that doesn't determine the quality of a game at all.

Nintendo is focused on the first few years. Sony is focused on the few years of the console. PS5 is the smoothest transition they ever had and I bet all those games were developed for PS4 first, which is not surprising considering plenty of release on PS4 too.

That's not their mindset. Sony was focused on restrucuring during the early PS4 days because they came of the diaster that was the PS3. They barely had any room to actually invest so we had a drought. They weren't thinking "right for our consoles lets just make games during the second half and forgot about the first half". That's absolutely nonsense.

And we see that in their 2021 lineup. You can discount Horizon, if you'd like, but there's still GT7, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank that are PS5 exclusives.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Screenshot-at-Feb-18-05-15-07.png

Yea, that is not indicative to anything.

Max is 50/50

So yea likes are not indicative to anything. I mean it wasn't trash, and if your into JRPG's, and Suda you probably are super happy with that direct. If your mainly a Nintendo first party guy Mario golf, and Skyward sword are the only things to look forward too so far this year.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

I'm happy they officially announced the MH Rise Limited Edition console for NA and more footage of gameplay. I noticed 2 MH Tri/3U maps in the new trailer. Samurai Warriors 5 and Triangle Strategy were big surprises. Really liking the new character art style in SW5. Also interested in the Hades physical release. To bad no announced physical for NMH 1 and 2.

Aldric

Then your expectations are off
Again how is it unreasonable to expect 2017/2019 level of output from Nintendo? Keep in mind I'm not asking for a BotW level game every year, just a decent variety of new titles and experiences so that all types of players can get something out of the system. Just look at 2019, we had:

-Two new 2D platformers, one more casual (Yoshi) and the other more hardcore oriented (Mario Maker 2)
-A brand new, very ambitious Fire Emblem game.
-Team Ninja's MUA 3
-A new action IP by Platinum with Astral Chain
-Luigi's Mansion 3 a high quality action adventure game
-Ring Fit Adventure, another new IP more casually focused but still pretty creative and interesting
-the usual mainline Pokemon fare
-plus a handful of small eshop titles like boxboy or the stretchers

None of these games are remotely on the same level as BotW or even Xenoblade 2 size wise yet they all bring something to the library for a variety of audiences. I didn't play all of them but I at least had half a dozen of interesting exclusive titles to check throughout the year. Except if they somehow have a monster second half I'll never get that much mileage out of the Switch this year and that's a huge disappointment.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
That's not their mindset. Sony was focused on restrucuring during the early PS4 days because they came of the diaster that was the PS3. They barely had any room to actually invest so we had a drought. They weren't thinking "right for our consoles lets just make games during the second half and forgot about the first half". That's absolutely nonsense.

And we see that in their 2021 lineup. You can discount Horizon, if you'd like, but there's still GT7, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank that are PS5 exclusives.
Doesn't change the point that drought happens to every developer, even in consideration of future sight.
And again, Nintendo releases new games and fills out the droughts with ports (which are new games to most Switch owners anyway). Just because some of you expect a new BoW and Mario Odyssey each and every year, doesn't mean titles with a smaller budget like Paper Mario are trash. Smaller titles like Punch Out!! or Rhythm Heaven are not budget heavy, but they are fucking great games and worth your time. Sony does release those type of games too. Sackboy being one of them and it's arguably the best title in the franchise.
If you don't care for those type of games (games that were always part of Nintendo's lineup.), then look at third party games and indies. There are literally 1000s of games. If you can't find anything to play there then the problem is entirely up to your personal taste not being compatable with the lineup.

Yea, that is not indicative to anything.
It does show however, that the reception wasn't as overly negative as some make it out to be. There are Directs with terrible like/dislike ratios that got much more shit. This isn't one of them. 50/50 it probably is. Middling.

Papacheeks

Banned
Doesn't change the point that drought happens to every developer, even in consideration of future sight.
And again, Nintendo releases new games and fills out the droughts with ports (which are new games to most Switch owners anyway). Just because some of you expect a new BoW and Mario Odyssey each and every year, doesn't mean titles with a smaller budget like Paper Mario are trash. Smaller titles like Punch Out!! or Rhythm Heaven are not budget heavy, but they are fucking great games and worth your time. Sony does release those type of games too. Sackboy being one of them and it's arguably the best title in the franchise.
If you don't care for those type of games (games that were always part of Nintendo's lineup.), then look at third party games and indies. There are literally 1000s of games. If you can't find anything to play there then the problem is entirely up to your personal taste not being compatable with the lineup.

It does show however, that the reception wasn't as overly negative as some make it out to be. There are Directs with terrible like/dislike ratios that got much more shit. This isn't one of them. 50/50 it probably is. Middling.

yea, i get that. What I meant mostly wasn't average people watching I meant youtubers and personalities, all seem pretty mixed. And if the leaks are true about Wind Waker, Twilight Princess also getting released in 2021, pretty sure Nintendo isn't releasing Breath of the wild this year. And to me add in Splatoon 3 is also next year, it looks like they were caught by covid. But also in my opinion like someone else pointed out, they did not expand like other companies did to accommodate the demand for switch software.

And to me thats a issue. They seem to just drip feed content, and rely on ports, third party exclusives. And even those are kind of meh. Where is Bayonetta 3, metroid prime 4 seems to be in early development still after the reboot in 2019. If this is all a ploy for them releasing a better more powerful switch, then i think to me its a bad look.

If all those titles for 2022 are for the new switch, are they going to run on current model? Or are we going to have a 3DS/New 3DS scenario?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
-Two new 2D platformers, one more casual (Yoshi) and the other more hardcore oriented (Mario Maker 2)
-A brand new, very ambitious Fire Emblem game.
-Team Ninja's MUA 3
-A new action IP by Platinum with Astral Chain
-Luigi's Mansion 3 a high quality action adventure game
-Ring Fit Adventure, another new IP more casually focused but still pretty creative and interesting
-the usual mainline Pokemon fare
-plus a handful of small eshop titles like boxboy or the stretchers
2020 was in fact much worse.. especially if you never owned a Wii U (most people). However, we are only in februar right now and there will be new announcements later that year. Also there are plenty of third party titles and indies coming soon.

Lethal01

Wow, this was the absolute worse. I'm not saying pretending to hate everything can't be funny. but their improv game is terrible and it's just them being annoying for an hour straight. I suppose that's kind of an achievement, and they even make money from it so good on them .

Gifmaker

Again how is it unreasonable to expect 2017/2019 level of output from Nintendo?
Because they are selling gangbusters as it is. Nintendo has historically never had a great output until the market pressured them into doing so, so why expect change when they have no incentive to change? Switch is selling absurdly well. And if/once the sales drop considerably, they can show footage of BOTW2 and MP4 and have hardcore fans on board all over again. It's working for them, so it's going to continue that way, so it is unrealistic to expect them to act differently.
I do get your disappointment though. It's understandable. And I am not trying to talk you into thinking that it's not a big deal or anything, but to tell you that you are better off not expecting too much from them when they are in such a convenient position. Change will occur once the market shifts and Nintendo's financial gains are threatened, it's been like that for at least two decades now and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If all those titles for 2022 are for the new switch, are they going to run on current model? Or are we going to have a 3DS/New 3DS scenario?
Would be super stupid to do this as it divides the player base. I am pretty sure it will be a PS4 to PS4 Pro scenario. There was also this rumor, that there is no Switch Pro and it is kinda a power dock to improve the technical possibilities.
And even those are kind of meh. Where is Bayonetta 3, metroid prime 4 seems to be in early development still after the reboot in 2019
We know that SMTIV, BoW2, Bayo3, MP4 are all in the making alongside a couple of unannounced games and they will release eventually. The question is when. I get that, but I'd rather wait for what surprises this year will pack. I think they will spread the games out for 2021 and 2022 and will release the Switch Pro (whatever it is) alongside a few titles to generate hype. 2023 we will get an announcement for a proper Switch 2, which most likely will be BC as I think it's logical to see the Switch as a platform moving forward.

My compatability with Nintendo games are fine. Nintendo has just stopped making Nintendo games for the most part. It's a tragedy but it is what it is and they make money from it.

Solid 6/10:

Highlights for me:

Splatoon 3 looks fun but it's a year away
Skyward Sword HD: Didn't much care for the waggle but look forward to revisiting with more traditional controls
MH Rise: I can't wait to sink hundreds of hours into this
Mario Golf: Easily another hundred hours of playtime
NMH 3
Project Triangle Strategy: demo is great. Looks like it'll have some in depth strategy to it

All in all not a whole lot new. Was expecting them to port Skyward Sword (as well as Windwaker and Twilight Princess), MH Rise has been discussed at length, NMH 3 got a release date, I figured with the success of Splatoon 2 they'd make a 3rd installment. Only real surprises I cared about are Mario Golf and Triangle Strategy. Even then there's enough here between this and the backlog to keep me entertained for some time.

Top Bottom