• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

Vercimber

Have a question that might already have been answered--if so, please mock and excuse (but repost info!):

I've a 3DS with a 16GB SD card. I am going to upgrade to the XL, which comes with a 4, but I want to keep my 16GB card. Is there a way to associate the larger card with the XL so that I don't have to purchase another card, or is it eternally "locked" with the older 3DS?

Again, sorry if this has been asked.

Have a question that might already have been answered--if so, please mock and excuse (but repost info!):

I've a 3DS with a 16GB SD card. I am going to upgrade to the XL, which comes with a 4, but I want to keep my 16GB card. Is there a way to associate the larger card with the XL so that I don't have to purchase another card, or is it eternally "locked" with the older 3DS?

Again, sorry if this has been asked.

pretty sure half the posts here ask this ;P

First, you need both on wifi.

- use the transfer thing on 3ds and XL
- take out 16 gb card and put in XL.

- That's it.

Vercimber

pretty sure half the posts here ask this ;P

First, you need both on wifi.

- use the transfer thing on 3ds and XL
- take out 16 gb card and put in XL.

- That's it.

Yeah, I figured a lot of people had likely asked. Sorry about that, and thanks for the information. Maybe something could be added to the OP about this?

coughlanio

Has anyone used a Class 10 32GB SD card? How is it? I find my Class 4 to be a bit slow, especially when going back to the home screen, it takes about 10-15 seconds to load the icons for the games that are stored on the SD card.

Vercimber

Has anyone used a Class 10 32GB SD card? How is it? I find my Class 4 to be a bit slow, especially when going back to the home screen, it takes about 10-15 seconds to load the icons for the games that are stored on the SD card.

No, but my 16GB is a class 10 and ludicrously fast. Takes about 2 to 4 seconds to do what you describe.

b7Wtv.jpg

Basically, just let your pinky rest behind the right part of the system, and hold the stylus like you'd naturally hold a pencil. You don't need to squeeze hard or anything - the DS won't go anywhere. If you need to use the R button, you can either simply reach up with your pinky, or rest your ring finger on it. (Slightly less comfortable and easy.)

That's pretty much it. I've played hours and hours of Hunters online, and never once got a cramp. Just keep everything nice and loose.

Let me know how it goes or if you have anymore questions.

Fake Edit: I know that's a DS Lite, but that's all I had on me at the moment. Works just as well on a 3DS. I played through MPH just to make sure a while back.
Hmm OK I'll try this, thanks.

Hey guys, I know that the 3DS XL is the same resolution as the regular 3DS and the screen size is bigger.

I just need to confirm, the pixels on the screen itself are just bigger, right?

Hey guys, I know that the 3DS XL is the same resolution as the regular 3DS and the screen size is bigger.

I just need to confirm, the pixels on the screen itself are just bigger, right?

Resolution hasn't changed. Just PPI, which means yes the pixels grew, they didn't increase in number.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Just to make sure this is clear -- during the "transfer process" you'll simply remove the card from your 3DS and put it in the XL. You don't need to worry about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

they say justification, we say PR spin.

There are perhaps two minor silver linings to this cloud.
1) Nintendo keep the cost down. Although in Europe its hardly 'cheap'
2) By not including a charger, they can perhaps incentivise retail channels to upsell chargers/cradles, and in return persuade them to go for smaller margins on the console, again keeping the price down.

Although I still think its dumb. I do already have a 3DS charger, but because of the shit battery life and the convenience of the charging cradle, the charger is permanently attached to the charger. I will probably hand my 3DS down to my kids so I still need that charger. How many of those '4 million compatible chargers' he talks about are spare?

I have a class 6 16GB card, with about 3GB worth of data, and the longest it takes to load something is in the camera app (ca. 5-7 seconds)

Icons are pretty much instant (maybe 2 or 3 seconds)

they say justification, we say PR spin.

There are perhaps two minor silver linings to this cloud.
1) Nintendo keep the cost down. Although in Europe its hardly 'cheap'
2) By not including a charger, they can perhaps incentivise retail channels to upsell chargers/cradles, and in return persuade them to go for smaller margins on the console, again keeping the price down.

Although I still think its dumb. I do already have a 3DS charger, but because of the shit battery life and the convenience of the charging cradle, the charger is permanently attached to the charger. I will probably hand my 3DS down to my kids so I still need that charger. How many of those '4 million compatible chargers' he talks about are spare?

My suspicion is that Nintendo tries to avoid the new EU rules about charging cables and adapters. As fra as I know, the EU as of 2012 requires manufacturers of portables to use USB charging cables as standard.
Nintendo probably is too cheap to produce them themselves and just said, oh fuck it we comply with this by emptying our storage of EU adapters first, and then switch to the new cables.

Since EU adapters wouldn't work anywhere else anyway I can see them trying to liquidate stock this way.

Still a shitty shitty practice and one that I absolutely resent.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can someone answer this?

Do the non-NA XLs actually not come with a way to charge the 3DS? Is there a USB cable or something? Surely they can't sell the hardware without a way to charge it.

It's like day-one DLC, Nintendo style.

Can someone answer this?

Do the non-NA XLs actually not come with a way to charge the 3DS? Is there a USB cable or something? Surely they can't sell the hardware without a way to charge it.

The only way to charge it is via their charger, and outside of NA they're not including one. I believe it may be the law in NZ and AUS that one be included, but I'm not sure.

Tagg9

Can someone answer this?

I'm quite sure that they come with absolutely no way to charge. Unless you already have a DSi charge cable, haha.

donny2112

Unless you already have a DSi charge cable,

Or a DSiXL charge cable. Or a 3DS charge cable. Or buy one separately from the store.

Seriously. It's a strange move by Nintendo like removing the 480p out from the GameCube to save 500 Yen due to the change in Japanese taxes, but it's not like they're saying "Buy a new 3DS everytime the power runs out." If this is your first Nintendo handheld system bought since the DSLite, then you'll need to buy an AC Adapter, if you're not in America. Otherwise, you probably already have the AC Adapter that works with this system.

It's weird. It's obviously a cost-savings measure (cradle probably won't be included anywhere, but since I never used mine once, I figure I must not be alone). The level of "outrage" for it seems a little out of proportion, though.

Sort of like the level of "outrage" for people upset about no second stick on the 3DSXL, or the "outrage" that there even is a 3DSXL coming without more free games from Nintendo.

Or a DSiXL charge cable. Or a 3DS charge cable. Or buy one separately from the store.

Seriously. It's a strange move by Nintendo like removing the 480p out from the GameCube to save 500 Yen due to the change in Japanese taxes, but it's not like they're saying "Buy a new 3DS everytime the power runs out." If this is your first Nintendo handheld system bought since the DSLite, then you'll need to buy an AC Adapter, if you're not in America. Otherwise, you probably already have the AC Adapter that works with this system.

It's weird. It's obviously a cost-savings measure (cradle probably won't be included anywhere, but since I never used mine once, I figure I must not be alone). The level of "outrage" for it seems a little out of proportion, though.

Sort of like the level of "outrage" for people upset about no second stick on the 3DSXL, or the "outrage" that there even is a 3DSXL coming without more free games from Nintendo.

The outrage is well-placed. Who sells new hardware with no means of charging it? I own a 3DS, but I intend to sell it to pay for the XL. If I lived in Europe that would entail two purchases instead of one. It's a horrible anti-consumer move that benefits no one except Nintendo. With the stupid amount of money they're charging for games like Donkey Kong Jr. on the E-Shop, you'd think they could afford the dollar or so that it costs to put a charger in the box. There's a point where as a company you have to ask yourselves, "Just how much can we f*** our customers before they go elsewhere?" Nintendo seems to be pushing that envelope.

The outrage is well-placed. Who sells new hardware with no means of charging it? I own a 3DS, but I intend to sell it to pay for the XL. If I lived in Europe that would entail two purchases instead of one. It's a horrible anti-consumer move that benefits no one except Nintendo. With the stupid amount of money they're charging for games like Donkey Kong Jr. on the E-Shop, you'd think they could afford the dollar or so that it costs to put a charger in the box. There's a point where as a company you have to ask yourselves, "Just how much can we f*** our customers before they go elsewhere?" Nintendo seems to be pushing that envelope.

it's probably just some politics above our pay grade.

Let's just say there are other things on the internet worth fighting over than $2 a/c adapter.

And why would people on gaf even care? It's not like you can't get an XL and the a/c adapter on the same trip to your game store.

AzaK

It is anything but a cost saving measure. It is a profit making measure. When in your life have you bought a piece of electronics and it doesn't come with a form of power. It's completely fucked. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that is illegal in my country, even though we are apparently NOT getting the AC adapter either.

FillerB

It is anything but a cost saving measure. It is a profit making measure. When in your life have you bought a piece of electronics and it doesn't come with a form of power. It's completely fucked. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that is illegal in my country, even though we are apparently NOT getting the AC adapter either.

Not exactly a form of power but.... printer-cables.
Yes, this profit-making scheme sucks but it used to be quite common.

This is the worst post I have ever read here.

I'm in the US. I'll get the cable. Really though? You think the "outrage" is out of proportion.

You can't charge the fucking thing out of the box anywhere outside the US. I've never heard of anything like it.

donny2112

The outrage is well-placed.

Yes, but it's out of proportion, which is my point.

Let's just say there are other things on the internet worth fighting over than $2 a/c adapter.

Basically. It's a bad move. It's seems very similar to the also "Huh?" move to remove 480p out on the GameCube to save 500 yen due to the Japanese tax move. However, the outrage seems way out of proportion to the inconvenience it would actually cause.

It is anything but a cost saving measure.

It is absolutely a cost-saving measure. It saves cost on a revision of a system they're currently selling for a loss. Doesn't excuse this move, and it still seems very weird to take this tact to save some cost, but it is the definition of a cost-saving measure. A measure taken to save cost. *mind boggles*

Really though? You think the "outrage" is out of proportion.

Absolutely. Your post is a shining example of the whacked out level of outrage. It doesn't even affect you personally, since you live in the U.S., and you're still freaking out like Nintendo ran over your dog.

You can't charge the .. thing out of the box anywhere outside the US. I've never heard of anything like it.

Which obviously isn't true. It can be charged with the AC Adapter everywhere in and outside of the U.S. It's just that if you don't already own the AC Adapter outside of the U.S., you'll have to buy it separately to charge it. Again. Very weird cost-saving measure. Completely agree that it's anti-consumer. Absolutely astonished at the level of outrage about it, though.

Do you freak out like this every time a necessary component isn't included in the box and must be purchased separately? Batteries, for example?

Yeah, I was trying to stay out of this, but I kind of agree that the charger thing isn't that big of a deal. I still think they should include it, but it's really not as bad as some people are making out to be.

If they are actually in fact leaving the price of the charger out of the system, then what is the big problem, that you'll have two boxes when you buy the thing?

On the other hand, extra chargers are always a good thing to have. I try to keep a cable for my iphone in my bag, and one in the outlet.

sakipon

Yeah, I was trying to stay out of this, but I kind of agree that the charger thing isn't that big of a deal. I still think they should include it, but it's really not as bad as some people are making out to be.
Yup. Sony did an annoying thing by not including a Vita memory card when there's no internal memory. Now Nintendo joined the gang. We'll live through it.

Yup. Sony did an annoying thing by not including a Vita memory card when there's no internal memory. Now Nintendo joined the gang. We'll live through it.
it's mostly stupid imo. It's not like they are going to make much profit from the adapter anyway; it's also not like it would cost them much to include one either. I think people would rather, for example, to have a 2gb SD card and still the adapter packaged in.

I already imagine a lot of customers who don't overview the package just going back to stores to buy an adapter, because they find out only after opening the package.

Rich!

If they are actually in fact leaving the price of the charger out of the system, then what is the big problem, that you'll have two boxes when you buy the thing?.

It's £179.99 in the UK. That's $280.

Leaving the charger out is doing absolutely fuck all to the price. It's still extortionate.

Rich!

The only, and I mean ONLY reason I could see the charger not being included is due to the new EU regulations on mobile devices (USB needs to be standard). Nintendo not wanting to produce millions of USB charging cables just for the EU makes sense - they have just taken the chargers out and sold them separately forcing customers to buy them.

I don't think it's the right thing for them to have done - it'll cause a shitload of problems at retail, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it backfire on them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Cheap Payg phones often don't have chargers anymore, as micro USB is so prevalent

The only, and I mean ONLY reason I could see the charger not being included is due to the new EU regulations on mobile devices (USB needs to be standard). Nintendo not wanting to produce millions of USB charging cables just for the EU makes sense - they have just taken the chargers out and sold them separately forcing customers to buy them.

I don't think it's the right thing for them to have done - it'll cause a shitload of problems at retail, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it backfire on them.
Could you point me towards said regulation? All I know of is a memory of understanding and a corresponding technical standard but this only applies to mobile phones. There is also no commitment to include a micro-USB charging cable (Apple who signed the MoU afaik still don't provide one out the box for the iphone).

japtor

Could you point me towards said regulation? All I know of is a memory of understanding and a corresponding technical standard but this only applies to mobile phones. There is also no commitment to include a micro-USB charging cable (Apple who signed the MoU afaik still don't provide one out the box for the iphone).
I think Apple got around it by tossing in a little dock connector to micro USB adapter.

Top Bottom