• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

Playing resident evil mercenaries made me a PRO without the circle pro. I played that game so much I cant see playing a resident evil on 3ds with another control scheme

RPGCrazied

Finally. A picture of the shell. And it looks matte on the outer part too! Now I'm 100% getting this. First game on this is Dream Drop Distance. First time playing on a 3DS too.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Since when does a RE game need a second analog? RE4 was great with a single stick.

Really happy with this revision, glad I didn't buy the launch unit :).
Now I'm waiting for this large 3DS cock to invade Poland, just like Rocco did, many years ago.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You do realize those "XL" screens are just normal screens stretched to the size of the XL's screens, right? And doesn't represent AT ALL how the games will look on the actual screen.

Sorry, just jumping to conclusions. I think the cheapskate in me wants me to dislike the XL so I can get the cheaper one. But god damn I'm sold on the XL :(.

Edit: Love the backlash from my post. I admit, I have no idea how it's going to look on a real screen. And yes, I was too hasty to just bash the system based on screenshots from IGN (of all places)

wHt3O.jpg

Good God.

One of my biggest issues going back to the 3DS after playing my Vita was screen size. Looks like this is the solution right here. Upgrade confirmed.

Ragnarok

I can live with the poor resolution. But to buttfuck me into buying another shoddy circle pad pro add-on is so lame. Just put another damn stick on there, Nintendo.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don't know why people want a second analog on the 3DS so badly. The only thing it would benefit is controlling a camera in a 3rd person game. Which is something that can easily be done with other buttons or the touch screen, depending on the game.

The thing I can't understand is how people actually want a second stick for FPS games. Are you kidding me? First off, when used properly, the touch screen is far more precise and easy to use than even a second stick on a 360 controller. I proved this to a friend by connecting my DS to my computer (via homebrew back in the day) and destroying on UT2k4 with a touch screen. It works almost as well as a mouse, which makes sense since its based on the same X/Y movement.

But secondly, the slider pad on the 3DS is great for 360 degrees of movement, but compared to a traditional joystick, it's VERY hard to push the stick only 50% in a direction. With a normal stick, you not only have a wider range of motion, but the stick tilts, allowing your thumb to control its precision by adding more or less vertical pressure. This is much easier than controlling how far you slide your thumb around when controlling the circle pad.

Anyone who thinks you'd be able to get console-like precision in a shooter with an added slider pad is grossly mistaken. Furthermore, if there were a second circle pad on the XL, it would encourage developers to simply use that for shooters, instead of the much more precise touch screen that they should be using.

Developers just need to look at MPH to get an example of how to handle aiming. It felt fantastic.

I don't know why people want a second analog on the 3DS so badly. The only thing it would benefit is controlling a camera in a 3rd person game. Which is something that can easily be done with other buttons or the touch screen, depending on the game.

The thing I can't understand is how people actually want a second stick for FPS games. Are you kidding me? First off, when used properly, the touch screen is far more precise and easy to use than even a second stick on a 360 controller. I proved this to a friend by connecting my DS to my computer (via homebrew back in the day) and destroying on UT2k4 with a touch screen. It works almost as well as a mouse, which makes sense since its based on the same X/Y movement.

But secondly, the slider pad on the 3DS is great for 360 degrees of movement, but compared to a traditional joystick, it's VERY hard to push the stick only 50% in a direction. With a normal stick, you not only have a wider range of motion, but the stick tilts, allowing your thumb to control its precision by adding more or less vertical pressure. This is much easier than controlling how far you slide your thumb around when controlling the circle pad.

Anyone who thinks you'd be able to get console-like precision in a shooter with an added slider pad is grossly mistaken. Furthermore, if there were a second circle pad on the XL, it would encourage developers to simply use that for shooters, instead of the much more precise touch screen that they should be using.

Developers just need to look at MPH to get an example of how to handle aiming. It felt fantastic.
I just find holding the system with one hand, and using that shoulder button, while aiming with the stylus, to be extremely uncomfortable. To the point where sometimes I'd rather just use the 4 face buttons on the right to aim.

This is going by my experience with Kid Icarus. I understand that other games may control better but the overall hand positioning is always going to be the same as far as I can tell.

This post could probably be a thread of its own.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just find holding the system with one hand, and using that shoulder button, while aiming with the stylus, to be extremely uncomfortable. To the point where sometimes I'd rather just use the 4 face buttons on the right to aim.

This is going by my experience with Kid Icarus. I understand that other games may control better but the overall hand positioning is always going to be the same as far as I can tell.
This is the only legitimate counterpoint, and I sympathize with people who have that problem. I don't have the problem, though, so it's not really on my mind. It's a shame if that configuration hurts your hands, but maybe something like the Kid Icarus stand would help with that? Or maybe just slightly changing up your grip. I've seen a lot of people try a lot of convoluted ways to hold the DS while playing MPH, but after I showed them how I hold the system, their hands don't hurt anymore. Still, I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone.

This post could probably be a thread of its own.

:lol We have enough 3DS threads.

This is the only legitimate counterpoint, and I sympathize with people who have that problem. I don't have the problem, though, so it's not really on my mind. It's a shame if that configuration hurts your hands, but maybe something like the Kid Icarus stand would help with that? Or maybe just slightly changing up your grip. I've seen a lot of people try a lot of convoluted ways to hold the DS while playing MPH, but after I showed them how I hold the system, their hands don't hurt anymore. Still, I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone.

:lol We have enough 3DS threads.
I've tried using the stand, it helps a bit but then I'm stuck sitting at a table when really when I'm playing my 3DS I'm usually on my couch or in bed. I'd like to see this hand positioning of yours if you think it would help.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm concerned that games like Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance that seem to make good use of the CPP will feel shortchanged on the XL :/ Still, I want one very badly. Waiting on amazon to put a listing up

Alex

I'm alright without a second stick, I didn't expect one because dedicated gaming platforms are still stuck in a special foam playpen where no one will revise hardware and offer options so it didn't seem legitimately likely. It's an amazing industry really, hardware makers typically rake in almost no real money on hardware, yet push hardware over software convergence and availability relentlessly and then they won't actually entice people with any truly legitimate revisions to the hardware besides the race for tackier colors or scaling the things up or down a fucking inch, this is everyone for clarity's sake, not just Nintendo.

Anyway, dual sticks can be a very big deal for 3D games, though. You can work around it with a good auto-cam and recentering, but it's makeshift and it's something you shouldn't have to put up with. It was shit on the PSP and it's still shit now. And no, the Kid Icarus stylus cam method doesn't fix it, nor does the N64 C-button method. Those are both extremely horrible, it's better just to say fuck it and redesign the game around the hardware limitations.

speaking of that Kid Icarus stand, what if i buy the game now and only have an XL to play it on? The stand won't fit right?

I think it'll fit, it doesn't really seem like it's something that really matters what the size of the item is as long as it doesn't weigh much because it is incredibly flimsy. If this thing doesn't weigh much more it'll probably be just fine.

BY2K

Membero Americo
One of my biggest issues going back to the 3DS after playing my Vita was screen size. Looks like this is the solution right here. Upgrade confirmed.

PS Vita: 5 inch
3DS 3D Screen: 4.88 inch

They're basically the same size. Minus 0.12 inch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been this excited for a console since the ps2. Lol. I was driving today just thinking about finally getting my hands on mario3d and all without an game carts or shit. This can't come soon enough.

Glass Rebel

How do you control the camera in Monster Hunter on 3DS without the second circle pad? Touchscreen?

Not like it'll be localized anyway but still.

Eusis

And the general 'Nintendo' art style does not need a high resolution.
This is more a potential issue for being worried about the Vita spoiling someone on its screen versus something like the 3DS, and Nintendo handhelds have good enough 3rd party support that it's crazy to stick to just Nintendo titles on them anyway so the "Nintendo art style" isn't a strong enough point. However, like I pointed out a lot of Vita games aren't native resolution, and I'll take a lower resolution game that matches the display's native resolution (or close enough that I can't tell) versus a game that may be at a higher resolution but not high enough to match the display's.

Actually, that's a point I care about more on handhelds or computer monitors than TVs, tends to stick out way, way worse.

This is more a potential issue for being worried about the Vita spoiling someone on its screen versus something like the 3DS, and Nintendo handhelds have good enough 3rd party support that it's crazy to stick to just Nintendo titles on them anyway so the "Nintendo art style" isn't a strong enough point. However, like I pointed out a lot of Vita games aren't native resolution, and I'll take a lower resolution game that matches the display's native resolution (or close enough that I can't tell) versus a game that may be at a higher resolution but not high enough to match the display's.

Actually, that's a point I care about more on handhelds or computer monitors than TVs, tends to stick out way, way worse.

They both have pros and cons for me. Vita screen is super sharp and high res, while glassless 3d is great (for games that do it decently).

Non native res games don't look hot on vita, while 2d mode is pretty meh on 3ds.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's literally the worst thing you could have ever said. That's the on.y reason I have a PSP. RR psp was my first RR.

That's a goddamn great game.

But then is rr3d worthy of playing at all?

Dacvak

I've tried using the stand, it helps a bit but then I'm stuck sitting at a table when really when I'm playing my 3DS I'm usually on my couch or in bed. I'd like to see this hand positioning of yours if you think it would help.
b7Wtv.jpg

Basically, just let your pinky rest behind the right part of the system, and hold the stylus like you'd naturally hold a pencil. You don't need to squeeze hard or anything - the DS won't go anywhere. If you need to use the R button, you can either simply reach up with your pinky, or rest your ring finger on it. (Slightly less comfortable and easy.)

That's pretty much it. I've played hours and hours of Hunters online, and never once got a cramp. Just keep everything nice and loose.

Let me know how it goes or if you have anymore questions.

Fake Edit: I know that's a DS Lite, but that's all I had on me at the moment. Works just as well on a 3DS. I played through MPH just to make sure a while back.

I'm left handed. I got cramps playing CoD and MPH on DS. F that stylus, so small. Using the face buttons to walk isn't exactly great either.

Guess I'll stick to vita for portable shooters and 3DS for the 1st party output.

Dacvak

I'm left handed. I got cramps playing CoD and MPH on DS. F that stylus, so small. Using the face buttons to walk isn't exactly great either.

Guess I'll stick to vita for portable shooters and 3DS for the 1st party output.
That's a bummer. The 3DS definitely favors righties. Also, I don't know if you've played any shooters on the Vita yet, but those tiny sticks feel pretty awful for precision aiming. It's waaaay to hard to tilt a stick only 50% of the way, unless you're actively thinking about it. The range of motion is just so small compared to a controller, and since you're thumbs are used to those kinds of sticks, it really becomes a hassle to try and aim with sharp precision.

I'm sure with practice you could master it, though.

I can't imagine 3rd party output being irrelevant for many people on a Nintendo handheld, if you cared about a handheld in the first place.

Yeah I'll buy the Layton's and PWs and all that, but the main attraction for me on a Nintendo handheld are the Nintendo games.

That's a bummer. The 3DS definitely favors righties. Also, I don't know if you've played any shooters on the Vita yet, but those tiny sticks feel pretty awful for precision aiming. It's waaaay to hard to tilt a stick only 50% of the way, unless you're actively thinking about it. The range of motion is just so small compared to a controller, and since you're thumbs are used to those kinds of sticks, it really becomes a hassle to try and aim with sharp precision.

I'm sure with practice you could master it, though.

I guess so.

I've played Uncharted and Resistance on Vita and currently I'm on Unit 13. Controls are definitely something to get used to, but because they emulate your controller experience it's somewhat easier to master. Tweaking the sensitivity a bit can do wonders. Gyro-aiming in Uncharted worked pretty good too. The vita is definitely not for twitch shooters, but methodical shooters like Resistance and Unit 13 work pretty well on it

Judging from this Nintendo won't implement a second analog anytime soon. Guess I'll need to man up and become right-handed on 3DS. I did it on PC, so it should be possible in due time.

Let's just hope most 3DS titles are build around the system and don't need a second stick for proper (camera) control

Mlatador

Banned
Call me crazy, but I think that even with the circle pay pro attached, the 3DS is still a bit to small.

3DS XL with CCP XL will be better/more comfortable

Top Bottom