• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

herod

The only, and I mean ONLY reason I could see the charger not being included is due to the new EU regulations on mobile devices (USB needs to be standard). Nintendo not wanting to produce millions of USB charging cables just for the EU makes sense - they have just taken the chargers out and sold them separately forcing customers to buy them.

I don't think it's the right thing for them to have done - it'll cause a shitload of problems at retail, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it backfire on them.

This only applies to mobile phones.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm not outraged (hell, I don't care at all, I'm in the US) about the lack of an AC adapter, but I am in complete awe that they'd actually not include such a critical accessory.

Some people are saying it's analogous to companies not including batteries or micro USB charge cables - not at all, that's a terrible analogy. Batteries and USB cables are universal, and the average consumer has a much higher chance of owning an existing cable or batteries.

But the DSi/3DS AC adapter? Who are you kidding? That's not even remotely "universal" among average consumers. What's more is that it's confusing to someone who might think their DS Lite adapter will work.

And that's not to mention the millions of people who will buy this system online, without the help of a retail assistant letting them know they need one.

Again, it doesn't bother me, personally. But if you don't think that people buying this won't eff up by not buying a separate adapter, you're insane. It'll absolutely be a common mistake made by your average uninformed consumer.

I'm not outraged (hell, I don't care at all, I'm in the US) about the lack of an AC adapter, but I am in complete awe that they'd actually not include such a critical accessory.

Some people are saying it's analogous to companies not including batteries or micro USB charge cables - not at all, that's a terrible analogy. Batteries and USB cables are universal, and the average consumer has a much higher chance of owning an existing cable or batteries.

Basically just proves that there's a defense force for anything. Nintendo joined Sony and Microsoft in doing the indefensible. Sony sells a handheld that literally wont allow you to play games unless you have a memory card, and yet doesnt even include a small one large enough to at least allow the games to run. Microsoft requires you to pay a fee to watch services that themselves require a fee to use. And now Nintendo treats the charger as an accessory to buy at a later date. That date being 3-4 hours after you started using your new toy.

I think Apple got around it by tossing in a little dock connector to micro USB adapter.
Nope, like I said, it's not in the box. You can buy it separately though.

But the DSi/3DS AC adapter? Who are you kidding? That's not even remotely "universal" among average consumers. What's more is that it's confusing to someone who might think their DS Lite adapter will work.

And that's not to mention the millions of people who will buy this system online, without the help of a retail assistant letting them know they need one.

Again, it doesn't bother me, personally. But if you don't think that people buying this won't eff up by not buying a separate adapter, you're insane. It'll absolutely be a common mistake made by your average uninformed consumer.
Yeah, it would've been fine if they included a USB > 3DS cable and customers could've just used their universal USB charger adapters but this will backfire on them surely. Very strange move.

Chopper

I had a pretty frustrating exchange with Nintendo via email about the price discrepency between the UK and the US. I can post them if anyone wants to read them, but it can be summarised as "Retailers set the price". I want to send another to ask them about the integrity of implementing such a policy, considering the clear disadvantages to their consumers, but the robot tone of their replies is getting a little annoying. As I'm sure the entitled nature of my emails are to them!

Edit: Blow it. Here it is.

Me said:
Hi there

I am a long-time Nintendo fan with a keen interest in DS and 3DS hardware and software. I own over 130 DS titles, 4 DS consoles, 25 retail 3DS games and an launch-day 3DS, so you can understand the extent of my enthusiasm!

I was very excited at the news of the 3DS XL hitting the shops in a few weeks, and very much looked forward to picking one up to enjoy the new Art Academy game due for release on the same day. However, I must say, I am appalled at the way Nintendo have handled the pricing.

The lack of AC adaptor is the compromise that was made in order to keep the price of the unit down. I do not have a problem with this in theory, as I myself already have a number of compatible chargers in the house.

However, having looked at the prices currently in place I am confused, as that compromise does not appear to be in place. We are, infact, going to have to pay a hugely inflated rate when compared to our American brothers, despite the inclusion of a charger in their boxes.

Here are the comparable prices and rates:

USA - $199.00 | ¥16,005 | €158.24 | £127.68 (Includes AC Adapter)
JPN - $235.00| ¥18,900 | €186.87 | £150.77 (No AC Adapter)
EUR - $251.50 | ¥20,227 | €199.99 | £161.36 (No AC Adapter)
UK - $280.54 | ¥22,563 | €223.09 | £179.99 (No AC Adapter)

Ridiculous, no matter how many exchange rate/taxation related excuses are given.

I appreciate that Nintendo do not allocate RRPs and leaves it up to the distributor to set a price, but this is the problem that arises from such a policy. As an Ambassador, I have already been burnt by the poor pricing decisions Nintendo have made in the past, and it is very unfortunate that until I get proper justification and clarification of the reasons for our ludicrously inflated price or the price drops to a more reasonable level, I will not be buying a 3DS XL. As a result I will be unable to enjoy Art Academy on release day. I am very disappointed.

Regards

Nintendo UK said:
Thank you for your email.

We are sincerely sorry to hear of your upset regarding the announcement of the Nintendo 3DS XL.
The Nintendo 3DS XL does not replace the Nintendo 3DS, we are adding "size variation" as a new option for customers to choose from. When marketing a new console details of this are under strict embargo, additionally we can confirm that our key focus in Europe this year will be on 3DS and 3DS XL.

As always, the final price to consumers is determined by the retailers. We do aim at making the price for the Nintendo 3DS XL as reasonable as we can, however retailers ultimately decide on what the final price of a product would be.

Please note that as the Nintendo 3DS XL has not been released in the market yet, their retail prices are an estimate for the consoles' worth, and may change during its release.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience, however we do hope this information proves useful.

Kind regards,

Nintendo UK

Me said:
Thankyou for your reply.

To clarify, I am not upset about the announcement itself. I think the XL looks to be a glorious piece of hardware and I look forward to getting my hands on one. As a handheld gaming enthusiast, I am always looking for ways of optimising the way these games look in my hands, and the 3DS solves the biggest issue I have with the current system.

My problem is with the pricing structure. My problem is the fact that I am paying around £50 more than the US for a system that has less in the box. A new customer cannot charge their system without paying extra on top of that. I myself do not have a dock for the XL and yet am forced to pay around £19.99 for the convenience of using one because it comes packed in with a charger I don't need! It's all very backwards.

I am aware that retailers allocate their own prices. However, it appears to me as if this policy is misplaced on the 3DS XL, a product thats contents vary between regions and illustrates a clearly outrageous price difference for what is essentially an inferior package.

Add to this Nintendo's infuriating region-lock on the sytem. Already a backwards step that has prevented me from playing the sort of fantastic variety of games I was able to play on the original DS console. In this generation, despite the increasingly multi-national nature of the video game business, I am unable to import a console in order to put right what I consider to be a huge pricing error or to capitalize on alternative colours.

The XL looks to be a great addition to the DS family, but the pricing difference between US and UK units is completely unforgivable. I appreciate that supermarket chains might price-war to my advantage, but should I really be relying on that in order to get the retail price we deserve?

And how about that dock? If the AC charger is sold seperately to "keep 3DS XL available for a reasonable price" (something Satoru Shibata claimed in the announcement, but actually isn't true) and can be justified by the high number of existing chargers in the wild, what's the excuse for the dock? Surely nobody owns one of them. Does anyone think it is worth the retail asking price?

Regards

Nintendo UK said:

We appreciate your feedback regarding the Nintendo 3DS XL and will be passing this on for you.
We wanted to keep the Nintendo 3DS at a reasonable purchase price. Because so many Nintendo fans already own a previous hand held (i.e. Dsi, Dsi XL, or 3DS) with an AC adapter and charger that is compatible with the Nintendo 3DS XL as such, we have chosen not to include them in the package. Again, a charger and/or the docking station is available for purchase optionally should you like one.

It will clearly state on the product packaging and in all of our communication (as shown in the previous Nintendo Direct presentation) that the AC adapter and charger will not be included.

Should you wish to obtain one, you can purchase one separately via the retail store or via the official Nintendo Customer Support Centre.

Nintendo is constantly working on new games and experiences to provide a wide variety of choice and options for our customers. The main aim of the Nintendo 3DS XL is to do just this and to offer players an additional option to choose from.

As stated previously in our correspondence, the final price to consumers is determined by the retailers. We do aim at making the price for the Nintendo 3DS XL as reasonable as we can, however retailers ultimately decide on what the final price of a product would be.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however we do hope this information proves useful.

Kind regards,

Nintendo UK

Me said:
Thank you for your response and I appreciate the information you have given me.

However, are you able to comment on or justify my core concern, that is the inflated price we have to pay in the UK compared to in the US, considering their superior package?

Nintendo UK said:

Nintendo is a global business and aims to provide the best possible products and services to all its customers. However, due to the nature of working globally, the products and services may vary across different markets including price set by retailers. we appreciate this may seem unreasonable or unfair to some but again the pricing is set by retailers.

Kind regards,

Nintendo UK

:(

Britprog

The no charger thing is gonna be a disaster for NOE, don't believe they can justify not including one by saying it saves money for the customer.

If they put a micro USB charge port on the XL they would have got away with it.

This is totally gonna bite Nintendo in the ASS!!!

I thought the no charger thing was a ridiculous rumor that was getting spread around for some reason or another. That shit is true!? How are you going to leave out a core component to the device? lol

I still can't believe that they'd do such a bad move. Including a USB charger cable would have saved quite some money, but still made it possible for literally everybody to charge the device.
Not including any charger is stupid in my opinion. One should at least guess that handheld makers want their devices to be used...
It'll be interesting to see whether or not the 3DS XL is an important enough product launch for the rainbow press to jump in on this. Anyways, I'm sure this will backfire on Nintendo.

I had a pretty frustrating exchange with Nintendo via email about the price discrepency between the UK and the US. I can post them if anyone wants to read them, but it can be summarised as "Retailers set the price". I want to send another to ask them about the integrity of implementing such a policy, considering the clear disadvantages to their consumers, but the robot tone of their replies is getting a little annoying. As I'm sure the entitled nature of my emails are to them!

When they're talking about retailers setting the price, it was already confirmed by someone 'in the know' that the trade price to retailers in the UK is £149, already more than the retail price in the US. So how could retailers possibly have the option of setting the price lower? The whole thing is bullshit.

EDIT: Cancelled my pre-order. Fuck this shit.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Edit: Blow it. Here it is.

:(

Do you send e-mails like this to every company who sells stuff for more in the UK than the $-£ exchange?

Chopper

When they're talking about retailers setting the price, it was already confirmed by someone 'in the know' that the trade price to retailers in the UK is £149, already more than the retail price in the US. So how could retailers possibly have the option of setting the price lower? The whole thing is bullshit.
The most frustrating part is that we were specifically told that the lack of charger in the box would be a compromise to provide a lower RRP. It's a complete lie.
cjelly said:
Do you send e-mails like this to every company who sells stuff for more in the UK than the $-£ exchange
Just the ones I give enough of a shit about. Also, when I feel as though I've been lied to.

madmackem

I still can't believe that they'd do such a bad move. Including a USB charger cable would have saved quite some money, but still made it possible for literally everybody to charge the device.
Not including any charger is stupid in my opinion. One should at least guess that handheld makers want their devices to be used...
It'll be interesting to see whether or not the 3DS XL is an important enough product launch for the rainbow press to jump in on this. Anyways, I'm sure this will backfire on Nintendo.

It will backfire and rightfully so, i really dont see how the little saving they are making would be worth the bad press heading there way even more so this close to wii u. Dumb stupid pr move again by nintendo, they will hide behind that we dont set price etc thing no doubt.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just the ones I give enough of a shit about. Also, when I feel as though I've been lied to.

How have you been lied to?

How do you know it wouldn't be more expensive in the UK if they'd included a charger?

E-mailing companies like that is like pissing in the wind.

The only course of action that will have any affect is by speaking with your wallet and not buying their product.

Chopper

How have you been lied to?

How do you know it wouldn't be more expensive in the UK if they'd included a charger?

E-mailing companies like that is like pissing in the wind.

The only course of action that will have any affect is by speaking with your wallet and not buying their product.
I just wanted to hear what they had to say about it. It's not the charger I give a monkeys about. They can keep their chargers. I just want to be charged a reasonable rate, as was suggested by Shibata. The fact that the difference between the US price and UK price is so enormous is ridiculous, considering our unit is "inferior". I wanted to know if there was a valid reason, and I found out there isn't. So yeah, speaking with my wallet comes next.

I just wanted to hear what they had to say about it. It's not the charger I give a monkeys about. They can keep their chargers. I just want to be charged a reasonable rate, as was suggested by Shibata. The fact that the difference between the US price and UK price is so enormous is ridiculous, considering our unit is "inferior". I wanted to know if there was a valid reason, and I found out there isn't. So yeah, speaking with my wallet comes next.
You're ignoring VAT. The US price is without sales tax, but the UK price you quoted includes 20% VAT. It's still more expensive, but not quite as big as those prices suggest.

Britprog

You're ignoring VAT. The US price is without sales tax, but the UK price you quoted includes 20% VAT. It's still more expensive, but not quite as big as those prices suggest.

USA - $199.00 = £127.68 + 20% = £153.21. UK price is £180 and with no charger, so £25+ more with no charger

AAlias

Neo Member
Regardless of the prices, they have no excuse for not including a charger. I hope they get rightfully burned for this stupid move

AAlias

Neo Member
Actually no, the maximum tax is 12%, which makes the calculations worse for Nintendo. Seriously, this is a "Vita comes with no memory" grade decision we're talking about.

I'm not seeing the uproar over it like with the Vita though, not to mention it only effects EU models

I'm curious as to what the response from European consumers is going to be...is the market for the 3DS weak over there?

Rich!

I'm not seeing the uproar over it like with the Vita though, not to mention it only effects EU models

I'm curious as to what the response from European consumers is going to be...is the market for the 3DS weak over there?

That's why there's no uproar. If it had happened in the USA, there would have been.

Again, we're getting totally shafted.

The original 3DS is currently priced at £120.
I'm getting the XL model for £140.

That's still higher than the US price (£140 = $219) but considering tax and the not so large jump over the standard 3DS model I think the price is acceptable.

Anything over £150 though considering no adapter, dock and foreign pricing and I wouldn't have purchased.

Chopper

I mean, it would've been reasonable if the 3DS was using a USB mini port for charging. But this is just not really consumer-friendly.
It would have been reasonable if they simply allocated a sensible RRP, especially considering the extenuating circumstances surrounding the charger. I was more or less told to hold out for a price war by Nintendo instead. So much for reason.

Britprog

I mean, it would've been reasonable if the 3DS was using a USB mini port for charging. But this is just not really consumer-friendly.

Well I'm boycotting getting a 3DS XL until it comes with a charger, I have a DS lite and was waiting for the 3DS redesign to bite.

Well done NoE, they have missed out a sale of 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7, Mario 3DS and Resident Evil Revelations at launch.

wsippel

Banned
3DS should have had an USB port to begin with, to access the SD card from a PC. There wouldn't even be a security or data corruption risk - just disable the USB port when the system is powered on.

It would have been reasonable if they simply allocated a sensible RRP, especially considering the extenuating circumstances surrounding the charger. I was more or less told to hold out for a price war by Nintendo instead. So much for reason.

The RRP for Europe actually isn't that bad this time. In the € area we pay sth. like ~12 Dollars more. It's quite a bit worse in the UK, but that probably has to do with the pound being relatively strong atm.

Edit: Now things start falling apart. USB port, boycotting until 3DS XL comes with a charger. Haha.

Chopper

The RRP for Europe actually isn't that bad this time. In the € area we pay sth. like ~12 Dollars more. It's quite a bit worse in the UK, but that probably has to do with the pound being relatively strong atm.

Edit: Now things start falling apart. USB port, boycotting until 3DS XL comes with a charger. Haha.
Yeah. I'm in the UK. It's nearly £20 more than across the Channel. :/

Rich!

Yeah. I'm in the UK. It's nearly £20 more than across the Channel. :/

I might go over to france that weekend and just buy one there. Living right next to the port, and I get reduced fare travel. I've got mates over there, so I'll get them to pick me up and crash at theirs for a few days.

Got a week off, so why not make a bit of a holiday out of it? Can get booze too.

I might go over to france that weekend and just buy one there. Living right next to the port, and I get reduced fare travel. I've got mates over there, so I'll get them to pick me up and crash at theirs for a few days.

Got a week off, so why not make a bit of a holiday out of it? Can get booze too.

LOL, that'll be the new thing. Instead of bringing your mates some cigarettes back they'll ask for a 3DS XL instead.

Rich!

LOL, that'll be the new thing. Instead of bringing your mates some cigarettes back they'll ask for a 3DS XL instead.

yeah man

to be honest, weighing it up - it's £40 for me to cross the border. Obviously it's more than it'd cost to buy the console here, but I get to stay over there for a few days and party like a frenchman. On the other hand, I can go to Tesco at midnight here in the UK, then just sleep until the next day

decisions, decisions

Chopper

yeah man

to be honest, weighing it up - it's £40 for me to cross the border. Obviously it's more than it'd cost to buy the console here, but I get to stay over there for a few days and party like a frenchman. On the other hand, I can go to Tesco at midnight here in the UK, then just sleep until the next day

decisions, decisions
Why Tesco? Do we know what they're gonna be charging? Like I said, there's no info on their website.

Rich!

Why Tesco? Do we know what they're gonna be charging? Like I said, there's no info on their website.

I want it before I go away on holiday that day (July 29th, to somewhere in Europe, not sure yet whether it'd be france or germany) and would ideally like it for the journey. This completely rules out online delivery apart from Amazon, as I can't guarantee it on that day.

Tesco is open 24 hours, so I can get it at midnight. And they're charging £179.99, same as elsewhere. Have a look on the tesco entertainment website: http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/game/3ds-nintendo-3ds-xl-console-silver-black/8:946070

Chopper

I want it before I go away on holiday that day (July 29th, to somewhere in Europe, not sure yet whether it'd be france or germany) and would ideally like it for the journey. This completely rules out online delivery apart from Amazon, as I can't guarantee it on that day.

Tesco is open 24 hours, so I can get it at midnight. And they're charging £179.99, same as elsewhere. Have a look on the tesco entertainment website: http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/game/3ds-nintendo-3ds-xl-console-silver-black/8:946070
Ugh. I was looking at the Tesco Direct site. Cheers.

So, the lowest price is £167 at The Hut currently, I guess. That's still a good £25 more than we should be paying for it. These dudes who bagged the Tesco deal + quidco have got it just about right.

Actually no, the maximum tax is 12%, which makes the calculations worse for Nintendo. Seriously, this is a "Vita comes with no memory" grade decision we're talking about.
Why would that be? You have to calculate it the other way around, Nintendo has no influence on sales tax nor do they get the money from it. RRP US without sales tax = $200, RRP UK without sales tax = $226, so ~ $25 or £15 more without a charger. Still a stupid decision.

The "I won't buy it now" folk are cute though.

I thought the no charger thing was a ridiculous rumor that was getting spread around for some reason or another. That shit is true!? How are you going to leave out a core component to the device? lol
It is true for EU and JP. Apple does the same thing but at least they pack in a USB cable for their proprietary connector, it's what Nintendo should've done.

Ugh. I was looking at the Tesco Direct site. Cheers.

So, the lowest price is £167 at The Hut currently, I guess. That's still a good £25 more than we should be paying for it. These dudes who bagged the Tesco deal + quidco have got it just about right.
Actually it's half that (£12,50), even factoring in the extra cost for the charger (going by the US price).

Curufinwe

And the minimum is zero.

delaware-sign.jpg

Why would that be? You have to calculate it the other way around, Nintendo has no influence on sales tax nor do they get the money from it. RRP US without sales tax = $200, RRP UK without sales tax = $226, so ~ $25 or £15 more without a charger. Still a stupid decision.
Where do you get that £144 RRP from? As far as I know, there is no UK RRP but "Nintendo lets the shops decide" or something weird like that because of a price fixing lawsuit in the past. If you based that £144 on that low Tesco price, that isn't available anymore nor representative.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
And the minimum is zero.

delaware-sign.jpg

Can I just say how stupid this sign is?

- Sign: Welcome to Delaware
- Motto 1: Small Wonder
- Motto 2: The First State
- Ad 1: Home of Tax-Free Shopping
- Ad 2: Buckle Up, It's the Law
- Street Sign 1: Delaware Turnpike

Really, they needed to include 6 different pieces of information? There was no way to present this more eloquently?

Really, they needed to include 6 different pieces of information? There was no way to present this more eloquently?

They could have summed it all up by simply writing, "This aint New Jersey, bitches"

I can see this being one of those situations where a designer created something nice and simple ("Welcome to Delaware - The First State") and then when he submitted the design, everyone else stuck their oar in and the whole thing got ruined rather horribly.

Top Bottom