• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 9.4.2019 Announced

Releasing it as a "super-dock" (i.e. a console console with a charging port on top, lol) might defuse anger from Lite buyers and even get them to double-dip if the two work together somehow. Alas, there's no evidence for any such thing outside my imagination.
Some laptops use a similar concept with what are called eGPUs. In this case, the Switch will be the "laptop" while the super dock will serve as the "eGPU".

JimiNutz

Banned
Mario Sunshine HD makes more sense after that last tweet by Nintendo tho with Mario in summer clothes.

I think that would be a stupid move on Nintendos part for a few reasons.

Firstly we already have a 3D Mario game in that style on Switch in Odyssey and Odyssey is arguably a better game than Sunshine and in the same Mario genre (open levels, primary emphasis on collecting rather than platforming).

Secondly, 3D World would require a lot less work to port some it's a newer game and was played by few people due to the Wii U install base.

Thirdly, 3D World has a large multiplayer emphasis which would make it a perfect game for the Switch.

C'mon Nintendo! Do the right thing and port 3D World already!

Hudo

European CEST: 0:00, btw. Unfotunate timing but I'll stay up because I am a goddamn Nintendo fanboy.

MAtgS

Firstly we already have a 3D Mario game in that style on Switch in Odyssey and Odyssey is arguably a better game than Sunshine and in the same Mario genre (open levels, primary emphasis on collecting rather than platforming).
These are the guys that released NSMBUDX & SMM2 5 months apart, Sunshine releasing 2 years after odyssey is nothing.

Releasing it as a "super-dock" (i.e. a console console with a charging port on top, lol) might defuse anger from Lite buyers and even get them to double-dip if the two work together somehow. Alas, there's no evidence for any such thing outside my imagination.
Switch USB-C does not have the bandwidth to support the data transfer rates necessary for an eGPU of that sort.

What I'd want :
A small F-Zero game for like 20$
Metroid Prime 4 footage
Earthbound new title
Snes online games for free with Nintendo Online

What we'll most likely get :
Pokemon
Smash Brothers
Luigis Mansion
Animal Crossing
Overwatch
Mario Sunshine DLC for Mario Odyssey
Snes games for money

Andyliini

Direct day is the best kind of day, I have to stay awake until 1.00 this morning, but thankfully I have later shift on Thursday, so I can sleep at 6 hours at least. I'll go with open mind, and as always, hope for surprises.

Gifmaker

Give me some kind of Pikmin on Switch, or bust. Really, it's been 6 years since the fantastic Pikmin 3. It's been 4 years since Miyamoto stated that Pikmin 4 is "near completion". Where the hell is that game?

Codes 208

A longshot but im kinda hoping for a banjo smash release date and a surprise announcement of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie for Switch. (Not necessarily remasters but essentially a switch port of the 360/Replay iterations.)

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
Do we not have a timer feature?
t1567634400z4.png

azz0r

Banned
Any leaks on what might be announced?

Personally expecting a Paper or Galaxy Mario at some point.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Nintendo, please give us any sort of news for our favorite hunter.

Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Prime 4, or Samus Returns (Switch). What about a Metroid 2D collection? Metroid Maker? Anything?

Please - We neeeedz it...

samus-masthead2.17345b15.9afde10b.png

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
My Switch Lite arriving in a couple of weeks so I can finally be excited about Nintendo Directs again! It seems this one will focus on stuff we've already seen though? Nevertheless, happy with some updates.

If it's 40 minutes then I would expect a decent chunk of that to be dedicated to upcoming games.

Anything MAJOR that we haven't seen yet would have at best a 2 minute teaser.

If they have HD remasters or something on the way then maybe they will provide something more substantial but those would be November, December or 2020 releases for sure. Anything that has a physical edition would be October at the earliest, I think.

Some indies may drop "right now" but I think even these prefer not to do that since building hype towards release day is good marketing.

If I were to guess I would say Nintendo's BIG 2020 game will be Mario Kart so it's possible that we might get some short teaser clip.

Happy to be proven wrong but I think the majority of this direct will be Daemon x Machina, Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Luigis Mansion.

Saruhashi

Banned
Nintendo, please give us any sort of news for our favorite hunter.

Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Prime 4, or Samus Returns (Switch). What about a Metroid 2D collection? Metroid Maker? Anything?

Please - We neeeedz it...

samus-masthead2.17345b15.9afde10b.png

Metroid Prime Trilogy has been rumored so much and for so long that they'd be mad to have not been working on it for about 2 years now.

That MUST be a physical release game though with the full "special edition" treatment. Can't imagine they would just drop it out of the blue.

For things with a large enough "hype" I refuse to believe that Nintendo are not at least looking into it. Mario Sunshine, MPT, Pikmin etc.

The characters included in Smash tends to line up with this. People wanted Ridley for so long, King K Rool for so long, Banjo Kazooie was one of the ones everyone was going nuts over.

For sure sometimes they will not be able to make something work but in general the audience tends to get what we want.

BlackTron

They said up front they are talking about 2019 games, which I would have expected anyway because now is not the time to hype anyone up for what's coming later.

This is purely to promote THIS holiday season. If we're really lucky they might sprinkle in a surprise, but this is just a long commercial for Q4 2019, not E3 lol.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

Secondly, 3D World would require a lot less work to port some it's a newer game and was played by few people due to the Wii U install base.

Thirdly, 3D World has a large multiplayer emphasis which would make it a perfect game for the Switch.

C'mon Nintendo! Do the right thing and port 3D World already!
I don't disagree but I have 3d on the wiiu and can play it anytime. I would love sunshine or galaxy in had. I haven't played those in years. I tried playing Sunshine but the n64 era gives me a headache with the poor view distance and blurry graphics.

Zannegan

Switch USB-C does not have the bandwidth to support the data transfer rates necessary for an eGPU of that sort.
Yep. It would have to be an entire second console with its own cartridge slot and everything. USB-C would just be for save data and charging.

It's kind of wasteful, but it would satisfy the people looking for a console only Switch, and Nintendo won't care if there's a change of talking the weak-willed (i.e. me) into double-dipping. Plus, it's also the only way you could "dock" with the Lite.

Think a Wii-sized budget console, released at $250 with a Pro Controller or $400 bundled with a Lite. Still not sure it's a good idea, mind, and any price to performance comparison with next gen consoles would be an absolute joke, but it should at least be feasible.

Last edited:

Murdoch

I can smell an anniversary firmware update features segment in this direct. We are due a decent FE update on top of the SNES games and controllers announcement there's a switch lite to promote

Now is the time to hit us with a Netflix and web browser app?

JCK75

I wish they would go back to earlier in the day, I'm going to miss this one and catch up with it later.. hoping lots of surprises, I really hate directs that are just an hour of gameplay of games we already know about.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't disagree but I have 3d on the wiiu and can play it anytime. I would love sunshine or galaxy in had. I haven't played those in years. I tried playing Sunshine but the n64 era gives me a headache with the poor view distance and blurry graphics.

Yeah I can understand why you'd prefer a Galaxy or Sunshine port considering you have 3D World on Wii U already.
A lot of people missed out on that game though and it seems like an easy port for Nintendo to do, especially since it is a different kind of Mario game than Odyssey or NSMB.

A Galaxy 1 & 2 port would be amazing as well but I think Nintendo will save that towards the end of the Switch lifespan.

Orta

Banned
Are you confused how timezones work? People on the other side of the planet aren't literally in the future.

They are too! My cousin lives in Brisbane and its already tomorrow there now. Therefore, TEH FUTURE!

I must ask her to check this coming Saturdays lottery results from my country on the internet and email them to me Friday night. Not so stupid, eh? :messenger_smirking:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: blu

Saruhashi

Banned
Just noticed the tweet says they will focus on 2019 games.

So I think we'll most likely get a bunch of indie release dates and a few 3rd party release dates.

We are probably only getting one big Nintendo only announcement and that would surely be a remaster or Wii U port.

Mario Wii U Deluxe got a 11 January 2019 release date but the game was announced on 14 September 2018 (is that the Direct that was delayed because of some disaster in Japan?)
So you'd be looking at something MAYBE releasing in December at best.

Twilight Princess HD was announced in November 2015 and released on March 2016.
What I am saying is that anything like Mario Sunshine HD, Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade X etc would coming December at the very earliest.

No way there is a big release for 2019 still not announced.

Fake

I'll be happy with Game Cube/WiiU games coming to be honest. Zelda Twilight HD for example.

Saruhashi

Banned
Actually... I was curious so I went and had a cheeky look at last years September (13th) Direct.
(I hope nobody on the thread already did this)

It was 38 minutes and 12 seconds long.

Opened with Luigis Mansion 3 teaser.
Bunch of 3DS announcements.
Splatoon 2 update.
Megaman 11 - October 2 release (I believe this was known long before the Direct)
Mario Tennis update
Capcom Beat em up bundle - Sept 18 release.
NSMBU announcement and release date - 11 January 2019 (so about 4 months from release)
Katamari Damacy announce - Winter 2018 (this was digital only at first, I think)
Nintendo Online Blah blah blah
Pokemon Lets Go (already knew release special edition etc)
Diablo 3 - November 2 (this was already known)
Mario Party - October 5 (also already known)
THAT "TOWN" GAME FROM GAME FREAK! - "Available 2019" apparently
A whole bunch of games we already knew about. Nothing major.
Starlink (we already knew all about this).
Xenoblade expansion (we already knew about this one too, right?)
Warframe coming November 20th.
Another bunch of already known games.
Final Fantasy games.
Isabelle for Smash.
Animal Crossing 2019 tease.

I would expect more or less the same here.
We already know all the big stuff but we might see a small teaser trailer or two.

Anything digital only could drop at any time but I can't imagine those would be Nintendo games such as Metroid etc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Pls Nintendo:

- Super Mario 3D World Deluxe - Super Mario 3D World is probably the next most likely Wii U port after Mario Kart/NSMB.

Pls Atlus:

- Shin Megami Tensei V - I just want an update. Is that too much to ask for?

Pls Blizzard:

- Overwatch - I think Overwatch will come to Switch eventually. Maybe not announced today but I think it's happening.

Pls CDPR:

- Gwent - Gwent would be amazing on Switch. I think CDPR might do it but maybe not until next year. They have Witcher 3 coming to Switch this year and also Gwent is coming to smartphones. I think if it does come to Switch it'll be in 2020.

:D

I'd love to get some kind of info on "Breath of the Wild 2" but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just want that god damn Metroid Prime trilogy. Been having the first part for the Cube at home for some time now and desperately want to play it. But I don't want to do that if it'll eventually be released on the Switch as well.

I'm surprised so many people are calling for a 3D World Deluxe. It was broadly panned at release by "hardcore" Nintendo fans.

(It's my favorite 3D Mario, so I'm definitely not complaining. Good to be in company of gamers with good taste)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm surprised so many people are calling for a 3D World Deluxe. It was broadly panned at release by "hardcore" Nintendo fans.

(It's my favorite 3D Mario, so I'm definitely not complaining. Good to be in company of gamers with good taste)
to be fair, i never played 3D World on Wii U. I played 3D Land on the 3DS and loved it. I'm just assuming they are kinda the same and if they are then hell yeah I want 3D World on Switch.

Top Bottom