• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct focused on ARMS + Splatoon 2 trailer (over)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Just to clarify, the timer in the OP is wrong by one hour, correct?

I'm pretty sure you are correct and the timer in the OP is wrong. It should be 3PM PT/6PM ET.

I hope we hear a thing or two about alternate control schemes, and I don't mean without the motion controls. I played Arms at a Switch event and the motion-controlled free-hand punching is incredibly responsive and precise; it's a major selling point for me, and I wouldn't dream of turning it off. But the thumbs-up grip that they are pushing as standard for this game binds character movement to tilting the Joy-Cons like a floating pair of joysticks (think of the old arcade game Cyber Sled), and I expect it will be a hump for new players to get over when it comes to deciding whether to play with motion or not. Perhaps it just takes practice, as it's so unlike any other control scheme on consoles (not even Wii Boxing or Punch-Out!! Wii, where the character's position is fixed), but I found myself wishing for a hybrid scheme with stick-based movement and free-hand motion for the punch/block/grab.

Da-Kid

Not to be a wet blanket but I don't expect an ARMS Direct beyond what we got in the most recent Direct.
The pattern of Nintendo Directs for New IP's/Franchises actually make this assumption completely, no offense to you... stupid.

Splatoon (New IP) got a Direct.
Hyrule Warriors got a Direct.
The Wonderful 101 (New IP) got a Direct.
Bayonetta 2 git a Direct.

ARMS is a brand new IP made from one of the most notable Nintendo First-party teams. It's going to get a Direct.

Told you it would.

I'm trying to understand where you are getting at with this cheeky post.

The currently announced Switch games from Nintendo (Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, even Splatoon 2) just look miles better than ARMS. I hope they get more time at E3 because now that ARMS has it's own Direct it will likely get less time at E3.

tl;dr e3 is hype, ARMS is not (to me.) Do you understand better now?

Crayolan

It better be, otherwise I won't be able to watch this live! I'm really hoping the single player is robust as something like Punch-Out!! That would make this an instant buy for me.

You expect the single player of a multiplayer-focused game to be as robust as a single player-focused game? Really?

Expect it to be on par with Splatoon or perhaps other (non-Smash) fighting games.

It better be, otherwise I won't be able to watch this live! I'm really hoping the single player is robust as something like Punch-Out!! That would make this an instant buy for me.

Punchout is the basic arcade mode every fighting game has. I'd hardly call it robust

The currently announced Switch games from Nintendo (Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, even Splatoon 2) just look miles better than ARMS. I hope they get more time at E3 because now that ARMS has it's own Direct it will likely get less time at E3.

tl;dr e3 is hype, ARMS is not (to me.) Do you understand better now?

You do know ARMS is gonna have a tournament at E3 so I doubt they won't focus on ARMS. Maybe not as much but they still will.

Drewboy64

The thing i'm most excited about is the off chance that they announce another joycon color. I would love some neon green joycons.

I guess I have to try the game before passing judgment, but so far it isn't getting me all that excited

I think we'll see 3 new characters tomorrow, which will be starting roster, with a hint at more coming post release.

I wonder how much they will delve into the in-battle items? Am curious to see what sorts there are.

Also wonder if some of the gifs posted on twitter (Master Mummy and fan, Min Min being carried by Mechanica) are possible in-game or made specially for promo.

Megatron

I mean, there have been plenty of great impressions of the game so far. And then it could come out and also get great reviews.

Still won't consider it? :p

For me at least, I would need to see way way more content. If not a single player adventure mode, then several other modes. And six fighters is a joke. Im sure there will be more, but I doubt more than ten at the most.

Harpoon

For me at least, I would need to see way way more content. If not a single player adventure mode, then several other modes. And six fighters is a joke. Im sure there will be more, but I doubt more than ten at the most.

There's seven fighters right in the pic in the OP...

ggx2ac

I can already tell that ARMS would resonate more with the mainstream than it would Neogaf here.

It happened with Splatoon, it's going to happen again.

Cartho

I can't help but be a little "meh" on an ARMS direct. I mean it looks really good but I think we've heard a fair bit about it now. We've already had a direct which spent a lot of time talking about it in the last few months.

Soul Lab

I can't help but be a little "meh" on an ARMS direct. I mean it looks really good but I think we've heard a fair bit about it now. We've already had a direct which spent a lot of time talking about it in the last few months.

Actually, we know very little about this game.
Last time was just a fighter reveal and a showcase fight.

This is factually incorrect. They've LITERALLY stated there are many more modes and fighters and we've only seen a fraction of them

Neiteio

New character incoming — looks like we'll see the flower-themed black/hispanic female fighter in tomorrow's Direct.

She's fragrant like flowers, and even has her own perfume line for the fans:

DAAgfajU0AASSEc.jpg:large

I'm guessing she'll have vines for arms. Presumably lined with flowers.

Neiteio

The perfume has both the flower motif and the bronze colors we saw on the leaked female fighter. It's definitely her.

javadoze

Seeing how cool all the characters revealed so far are makes me wish for a story mode. Even if it were just some arcade mode with a different ending for every character then I'd be happy.

TheSun

Ah, one of the robots is a fight'n perfume bottle.

Would never have guessed.

Or some flower shit, I don't know.

I'm gonna need a demo for ARMS before I will even consider getting it.

Yeah, me too. A demo and a good look at the singleplayer mode (if there is one? I haven't been keeping up). I'm glad people are enjoying Nintendo's Switch output, but as someone who isn't interested in multiplayer games I'm just hoping I won't have to wait for Mario Odyssey for a nice meaty singleplayer game. Not going to get my hopes up, though; I knew it was going to be like this when I bought the thing :p

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
New character incoming — looks like we'll see the flower-themed black/hispanic female fighter in tomorrow's Direct.

I'm down for this. I'm curious about her personality, but the perfume angle is a good start for me and I really like the aesthetic of that render.

Passose

Banned

what if it's for a new IP :p

Arynio

That sounds pretty cool! A Medusa-like female character with snake arms next, please!

Way to undersell Punch Out...

I'm not, but when you think about it, that's what it's single player is. Granted the mechanics make the actual matches different from a fighting game (and more like a puzzle game), but other fighters have had between-match scenes and setup now too

Top Bottom