• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct focused on ARMS + Splatoon 2 trailer (over)

Neiteio

I hope the Splatoon 2 trailer is for Hero Mode and shows oodles and oodles of cool new enemies. The Octarians were the secret best part of Splatoon 1. Eager to see them return in Splatoon 2!

ggx2ac

So you expect at most all 10 characters that are revealed or teased already with no surprise unlockables?

I think 15 is overshooting it. I would have agreed with 12.

What unlockables would there be when this is a new IP? (Aside from a boss character which I already said.)

Neiteio

It looks like there are 30 unlockable gloves for each character. There are at least 10 characters. You can mix and match gloves, too.

That's... a lot of combinations!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy shit if that lady's in the advertising poster, she has one tight pants

a yuri h-doujin with her and Ribbon Girl will be guaranteed if that actually happen

but-but Mechanica!

Squid Sisters stories will end up with Callie getting genetically modified to fight as an ARMS fighter. ARMS and Splatoon 2's story modes will intersect, launching the ARMS-Splatoon Shared Universe. This is why a Splatoon 2 trailer ends up in an ARMS Direct.

I'm bored at work.

It will intersect with Mario Kart for that Nintendo Cinematic Universe

Why would they put in such an irrelevant character? What game other than Donkey Kong 64 has he been in?

Why?
Because he has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out, just for you
Inflate himself just like a balloon!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Holy shit if that lady's in the advertising poster, she has one tight pants

but-but Mechanica!

It will intersect with Mario Kart for that Nintendo Cinematic Universe

Which will be launched by the Metroid movie followed by Donkey Kong and then The Legend of Zelda the Ocarina of time: The First Smash Brother.

NotLiquid

Why would they put in such an irrelevant character? What game other than Donkey Kong 64 has he been in?

He was in DK Barrel Blast and had a trophy in Smash Bros 4.

It's not much but it's way more than, say, Chunky Kong who appeared in DK64 and never showed up ever again.

He was in DK Barrel Blast and had a trophy in Smash Bros 4.

It's not much but it's way more than, say, Chunky Kong who appeared in DK64 and never showed up ever again.

Chunky is actually in the GBA version of DKC3.

DKC3GBAFunky%27sRentalsProtect.png

You can barely see him at the bottom, but he's there.

Would this game work with an arcade stick? Last week Hori tweeted we'd see news about their Switch fightstick soon, and I wonder if they'll talk about in the Direct

Dystify

I'm starting to think there'll be 10 characters at launch, then DLC (hopefully free) for 6ish months, kinda like what they did for Splatoon.

This feel right. Even if we "only" get 10 characters, it doesn't mean some of them aren't unlockables.

It would feel like a waste if they didn't promote the game with all characters because they all look very unique and interesting.

Neoxon

This feel right. Even if we "only" get 10 characters, it doesn't mean some of them aren't unlockables.

It would feel like a waste if they didn't promote the game with all characters because they all look very unique and interesting.
Which is something I hope ARMS takes notes from most other fighting games & avoids. Unlocking new ARMS is bad enough, no need to force us to unlock characters, too.

Neoxon

There's going to be 10 characters then free DLC characters after that. They want to follow the Splatoon model.
It'd be nice, but making characters for a fighting game isn't cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if they made us pay for the characters, or offered some kind of alternative for DLC revenue if the characters are free (Ex: paid alternate costumes).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It'd be nice, but making characters for a fighting game isn't cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if they made us pay for the characters, or offered some kind of alternative for DLC revenue if the characters are free (Ex: paid alternate costumes).

These aren't quite traditional fighting game characters. They all follow the same basic punching and grabbing mechanics template.

That's true, especially since each character seems to have their own Arena. However, if they went into development with the plan of releasing characters post release it's possible that they budgeted for them as part of the main game and that they are already made which is also what they did with Splatoon iirc, at least initially.

Why are you guys calling those small pics/snippets of unannounced characters a leak when they were literally in Nintendo's stream/similar?

And just put those "this is shallow and will suck and bla bla bla" guys on ignore. I don't want to bother to read them from your quotes. Makes threads a lot more clean.

Arguing with them is fruitless and exactly what they want. Just let it be.

EDIT. I immediately thought about Bayonetta too when I saw those legs...

KHlover

Banned
Every Kong that was introduced past DKC2 is Sonic-fandom level trash anyways, why would you want ANY of them in another game?

EDIT:
Donkey
Diddy
Dixie
Cranky

That's it. Everyone else can burn in hell for all I care.

Given the look of that stage, we may actually be getting a fighter with film reels for arms. I feel like she's going to be a movie star of some sort. Wonder how she'll clash with Ribbon Girl's fame if so.

I'm banking my upcoming Switch purchase on ARMS being rad so hopefully this direct shows some of the single player content.

Why?
Because he has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out, just for you
Inflate himself just like a balloon!
I'm convinced!

Chunky is actually in the GBA version of DKC3.

DKC3GBAFunky%27sRentalsProtect.png

You can barely see him at the bottom, but he's there.
He must've been left to drown and never return, a shame, Chunky was one hell of a guy.

Metroid is fun too but you can see how irrelevant it is to Nintendo.
Somehow we always get back to Metroid in these Nintendo threads.

Top Bottom