• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct on April 12 (3PM PT, Switch/3DS, mainly Splarms)

Perfect time to announce Spring Man and Inkling for Smash!

It would be funny if they showed a Spring Man and New Inkling amiibo, but with the smash stand underneath. Stealth announcement.

ramparter

Banned
I expected nothing until E3, haha. This is very welcomed!

My guesses, that could happen:
- Arms (obvious)
- Splatoon 2 (obvious)
- Mayo Katy 8 Deluxe (releasing in April)
- Fire Emblem Warriors (new info)
- Fire Emblem Echoes (coming very soon)
- Pikmin 3DS (new info + final name? + expected launch date?)
- Ever Oasis (new info)
- New 3DS game
- New Switch game
- Switch online info
- Virtual Console
- Third parties we already know
- New info for E3
Too soon for FE:W. Also I believe virtual console will come 2nd half of 2017.

DrArchon

We have to be getting the release date for at least Arms, right? It's supposed to come out in "Spring" and we're well on our way into that season.

Some more characters would be nice too. Every new fighting game at launch needs at least 8 characters at launch so people don't say that the roster is smaller than the cast of Street Fighter 2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It not like the whole team would be needed to keep the update train going.
While some services games actually do grow significantly post launch just to keep up updates, assuming Nintendo takes a more historical approach, that would actually be what I was referring to.

Making new games would presumably take more staff than just updating the existing one unless they take a new age approach.

Being slain by ARMS...
RjbSQLP.gif

being pessimistic about a potential certified slay?

gurl pls...

tumblr_meikplx6om1qcwgrvo4_r1_250.gif

Finally. I wasn't expecting too many new first-party announcements before E3, so the focus makes sense, but we're definitely overdue for a post-launch Direct.

Deku89

My predictions:

Arms: release date (late may, early June), 4 player FFA, story mode intro

Splatoon 2: release date (late July, early August), new testfire date, new maps and clothing abilities, new mode

Other: VC for NES and SNES (previous games from Wii U and 3DS carries over for small fee), 3ds Fire Emblem and Pikmin games, build hype for E3

Cartho

I'd pee myself if Pokemon Stars was announced for Switch but it won't be. The fact that they've said it's focusing mainly on Splatoon 2 and ARMS makes me think it will be 90% those games and maybe a few other random bits and bobs.

We have to be getting the release date for at least Arms, right? It's supposed to come out in "Spring" and we're well on our way into that season.

Some more characters would be nice too. Every new fighting game at launch needs at least 8 characters at launch so people don't say that the roster is smaller than the cast of Street Fighter 2.

They confirmed that the announced characters are just a "portion" of the final roster.

oti

Banned
Loved Splatoon 1 but after Overwatch the demo for Splatoon 2 felt kinda underwhelming. And ARMS, no idea if I'll like it. It could be fun tho.

maxcriden

Had to look twice when seeing "Nintendo Direct." Not expecting any megatons this close to E3 but it should be good nonetheless. Can't wait.

FWIW, the April 2013 Direct revealed Mario Party 3DS, Yoshi's New Island, and A Link Between Worlds. That was just a general Direct, though, not one focused on specific games. So I think we could see one or two megatons, but I'm setting my expectations a bit lower, like, hoping for one new game announcement, which seems very possible given that this is usually the case in Directs (though game-focused Directs usually don't necessarily feature a new game announcement - but rather than a game-focused Direct this seems to be a mostly two game-focused Direct with at least one other confirmed aspect (3DS games) so I'm keeping my hopes up at least for one new game).

Happy Birthday to me, I suppose.

The real birthday present will be VC news and an announcement that all Wii U/3DS VC games are transferable for free.

zeromcd73

I'd pee myself if Pokemon Stars was announced for Switch but it won't be. The fact that they've said it's focusing mainly on Splatoon 2 and ARMS makes me think it will be 90% those games and maybe a few other random bits and bobs.
Pokemon will get its own Direct when -if- it is announced.

Thatanas

I expected nothing until E3, haha. This is very welcomed!

My guesses, that could happen:
- Arms (obvious)
- Splatoon 2 (obvious)
- Mayo Katy 8 Deluxe (releasing in April)
- Fire Emblem Warriors (new info)
- Fire Emblem Echoes (coming very soon)
- Pikmin 3DS (new info + final name? + expected launch date?)
- Ever Oasis (new info)
- New 3DS game
- New Switch game
- Switch online info
- Virtual Console
- Third parties we already know
- New info for E3

May not happen, some I would like to happen, some don't care (trying to be realistic, the megatons will be in E3):
- Smash 4 Switch announcement
- Mario Odyssey new trailer + info
- Bayonetta 1+2 Switch (tomorrow @ Steam (only Bayo 1), the day after tomorrow at Switch (both))
- Xenoblade 2 new trailer + info
- Shin Megami Tensei Switch new info
- Persona 5 Portable announcement
- Pikmin 4
- Pokemon Stars/Eclipse (I like the eclipse name, and sounds much better) for Switch
- Another Wii U port
- Level 5 new games for... 3DS
- Netflix, Youtube,... for Switch
- Skyward Sword HD for Switch
- Some new third party ports
This is what happens when Nintendo explicitly mentions 'main focus on Arms and Splatoon 2'. 90%+ of this list won't happen, even at E3 alot won't be mentioned.

Prepare to be disappointed.

I don't see Smash getting shown. I suspect it will be shown and be fully playable at E3. I think this will be focused on Splatoon 2 and ARMS only because they won't get much attention at E3. Get all the information out for them - announce they're playable at E3 and that's that.

Neoxon

I'd imagine that The Pokémon Company would want to reveal that in a separate Pokémon Direct (assuming that Stars is actually a thing), but we're cutting it pretty close to E3. Either that or a random reveal like OR/AS.

Either way, I'd be legit surprised if we got Pokémon news in this Direct.

Kudo

Oh nice, not expecting much when E3 is so close but more info about Splatoon 2 is always appreciated.

Peléo

Glad it's coming, looking forward to more information on ARMS. Hopefully it will put an end to the 'Multiplayer only tech demo with 5 characters copypasta' we so often see here in GAF.

It won't.

Roo

This is what happens when Nintendo explicitly mentions 'main focus on Arms and Splatoon 2'. 90%+ of this list won't happen, even at E3 alot won't be mentioned.

Prepare to be disappointed.
Good thing he was "trying" to be realistic tho..

:p

cireza

Ah yes, it is clear that Mario Kart is among the two games being discussed here.
Did you ever happen to make a mistake in your life ?

Pretty sure that you could guess by yourself that I was referring to Mario Kart. But that's the internet here, so you must not wait a single second before being unpleasant.

Well the Fire Emblem Direct wasn't that long ago.

Yeah, true. It's just that they've been few and far between over the last couple years. Or at least seemed that way to me.

It was just a weird feeling I had, based on little to no evidence probably.

Anyway I keep forgetting how close we are to E3. March was such a great launch month.

LordKano

Yep, that was to be expected. They needed a pre-E3 direct for ARMS.
I'm not hyped for this game so I hope the direct will change my mind.

DJIzana

What're the chances of getting minor updates regarding Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Project Octopath Traveler? 😜

JoeM86

What're the chances of getting minor updates regarding Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Project Octopath Traveler? 😜

Even though there will be a focus on Splatoon and ARMS, there will be other things. I think people are just trying to prepare themselves so expect some updates for previously announced titles beyond those two.

Neoxon

Arms May release, Splatoon 2 in June is my bet!
Most of us were already thinking May for ARMS. But with Splatoon 2 getting a fair bit of focus in this Direct, I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon 2 ended up coming out in June. Though to my knowledge, there was a listing saying that Splatoon 2 was gonna be in the 2nd half of 2017, so July could be a possibility.

Philippo

ARMS - May, two new characters revealed (out of 12), new modes

Spla2on - June, new weapons and modes, story details

Smash Deluxe announced

ReitStuff

Well, they specifically said that the Direct is "mainly focused" on ARMS and Splatoon 2, so I guess there's a small chance that they could also talk about just about any game.

Top Bottom