• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ditches main E3 conference, still there with games, press events, N-Direct

Neiteio

This is like hearing that Christmas will go on this year but Christmas morning presents will now be distributed at random unforeseen intervals at times other than Christmas morning.

I mean, yeah, that's cool, miracles can happen at any time, but... uh... well... I liked Christmas morning. :-\

JWong

Banned
There won't be a massive catch-all press conference, but there will be an event for distributors, an event for media, and Nintendo Directs for gamers.

Yes, I can see that, but that's no EL-SPECTACULAR press conference.

Again, save the money rather than participate in a losing battle.

Angry Fork

This means they have nothing to show or very little, and don't want E3 press to hail a storm at Nintendo when compared to Sony/Microsoft.

I think it's an interesting strategy, because there has (especially recently) often been a disconnect in Nintendo's presentation in trying to appeal to retail/distributors, while leaving the legions of press and hardcore who are also watching disappointed. Tailoring smaller events will allow them to target more to specific audiences. But the lack of major press event will probably cost them mainstream media attention. Like others have said though, it will be tough this year to break through when we're likely getting release dates/price/launch software etc. from MS/Sony.

Hahaha, Iwata so funny.

nVsOXRE.png

https://twitter.com/IwataCEO/status/327254098732785665
I will be saving this for the future lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do wonder... Is ND more relevant than their E3 conferences? I'm not talking about quality of presentation but rather if there's a big audience watching ND compared to their E3 conference.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is like hearing that Christmas will go on this year but Christmas morning presents will now be distributed at random unforeseen intervals at times other than Christmas morning.

I mean, yeah, that's cool, miracles can happen at any time, but... uh... well... I liked Christmas morning. :-\
But the E3 conferences themselves could be announced for any time/day during E3, they weren't set in stone for a specific time and day each year.

Personally I couldn't care less. ND is the same to me. I never went to E3 and all I cared to see was their presentation videos and then the various screens and trailers they had on their site.

Seems like they'll still do this, and maybe even put more focus on that online presence people like us get rather than the E3 area (which they will still do for those involved, retailers and the press), so what's the problem?

goomba

Banned
So three targeted conferences instead of one long conference where each group sits through things they don't care about.

It's a good idea IMO

Portugeezer

Gold Member
E3 is the most exciting time for a gamer, now it will be less exciting.

I hope they still show us some megatons I'm just wondering how they're going to do it...

Couldn't have said it better.

Fuck this! I wanted the Smash 4 unveiling to be fucking overblown and crazy in front of a gigantic crowd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

What'll happen now?

Linkhero1

Not too surprised to be honest. I felt as if Nintendo Direct would eventually take over as their main method to transmit information to gamers.

LOCK

I don't remember anything that said that. Sounds like an assumption on your part.

Here:

Apart from these exclusive events for visitors, we are continuing to investigate ways to deliver information about our games directly to our home audience around the time of E3. We will share more information about them once they have officially been decided.

Axspell

Neo Member
It's very progressive. We'll see how it pans out.

You make a good point, you know. Nintendo's proved that when it experiments against the established paradigm, it can do great things.

I just hope that one of those "smaller conferences" is still large-scale enough that it's streamed on the net and we get a date and time to be hyped for. E3 is like Christmas for me, and it'd suck to see Nintendo fail to bring the fireworks that we all know and love.

Cbajd5

Instead of one stage show where they show off everything they can for the US, EU, and Japan they can give each their own show.

Big shows do make sense for showing off hardware, since it's nearly a constant between the territories. But for software they can focus on titles coming out in each territory, show off games in the language viewers from that territory speak, and most importantly feature the release dates in that territory.

I mean they're not saying they're not showing off anything else at E3, they're saying they're going to have focused events instead of one big stage show. They've been doing this for a while already, with announcements on their website every year that weren't a part of the stage show.

but i'll miss the pikmin

Neiteio

But the E3 conferences themselves could be announced for any time/day during E3.
In this analogy, the whole E3 period is Christmas, during which you can reliably count on seeing the Christmas presents.

Now we don't know when Nintendo Christmas is anymore.

We've been Grinched. Scrooged. Bill Murray'd.

:(

Kyzon

I'm actually sad about that. I love their corny on-stage shenanigans, and watching them play off the crowd has been a surreal experience.

:/

Nairume

Banned
Yes, I can see that, but that's no EL-SPECTACULAR press conference.

Again, save the money rather than participate in a losing battle.

Three separate conferences specifically designed to appeal to three very different groups is probably going to be more expensive than the one catch-all.

Oxirane

Demos for 3D Mario U, Mario Kart U, Zelda U and Smash Bros. U available on EShop; only playable during the Microsoft and Sony press conferences.

Players who complete all the demos get access to (Ancient)Pokemon X Monster Hunter U demo.

--
Remember when Dan Hsu thought that one of the Nintendo E3 conferences was just a video, it might be true this year.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Couldn't have said it better.

Fuck this! I wanted the Smash 4 unveiling to be fucking overblown and crazy in front of a gigantic crowd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

What'll happen now?

Same here, but now I wonder when will they host "E3" Nintendo Direct or "some kind of special presentation" that they would show us Mario 3D, Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4/3DS.

WHAT?!?!!?!?!?!??

Ever since 2010.

she's with capcom

Very funny.

In this analogy, the whole E3 period is Christmas, during which you can reliably count on seeing the Christmas presents.

Except you still get your present on Christmas (Nintendo Directs at E3 will have new game announcements). You just also get presents at other times of the year too.

LOCK

Anyone hoping for demos need to be realistic.

It's not happening and the wishful thinking only amplifies what a mistake this move is for Nintendo.

Closed events and prerecorded Nintendo directs cannot replace the hype and exposure a full live E3 presentation offers. Nintendo feels they are not able to perform equally with the competition on such a stagem

The April ND and the January ND were better than the last two Nintendo E3's. GAF was pretty hyped they other day.

Meelow

Banned
This is for people who didn't read the OP

- Instead of a traditional Nintendo E3 Conference they will have a Nintendo Direct
- They will hold events for the media at E3
- They will have all the games they announced at the Nintendo Direct at E3 playable

emb

Good analogy. I feel pretty much like that. It's like, they can still give out the same info, and I'll be excited by it... but it was so much more of an event the other way.

But they said they are doing things at E3 and during that period...your analogy worked better before saying christmas is the whole E3 period.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

But we do know... It's during E3. Suddenly you don't care to see Smash Bros U and 3D Mario U because they said they won't do a traditional conference?

Anteo

I dont get it man. They could still say "Nintendo E3 Direct" at X;00 hours. We will still say "Dawn of the last day". They could go and start the Direct just like a E3 conference, trailers and a nice presentation, no sales charts! Thank god. The only different thing is that the press won't be there. Nothing has to change!!!

Or they could do a 5 min announcement saying "new games, videos at our youtube channel". And I would cry.

Edit:
Yeah now that I read my own post... I really should leave gaf for a couple of hours.

Tookay

I think it's an interesting strategy, because there has (especially recently) often been a disconnect in Nintendo's presentation in trying to appeal to retail/distributors, while leaving the legions of press and hardcore who are also watching disappointed. Tailoring smaller events will allow them to target more to specific audiences. But the lack of major press event will probably cost them mainstream media attention. Like others have said though, it will be tough this year to break through when we're likely getting release dates/price/launch software etc. from MS/Sony.

Nice summation.

DeviantBoi

I haven't watched previous Nintendo conferences, but my impression is that they go something like this....

blah, blah, blah, boring, blah, blah, blah, lame, blah, blah, blah, omfgnewmariogameandnewzeldagameftw... best E3 conference ever!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sooo let me get this straight.

- Nintendo will not be hosting their traditional E3 press conference this year, as they've done so more or less every year.
- They will, however, still have their usual presence at E3, in terms of floor space dedicated to software for hands-on and what-not.
- In addition to this, they'll be hosting several "smaller" events during the same period, where they'll announce software.
- We can expect a lot of internet streaming/Nintendo Direct stuff.

I suppose what I'm asking is what the probability of Nintendo actually showing stuff before E3 is? Like, we know Super Mario U and Mario Kart U will be at E3, on the show floor, probably playable. So when are they getting "announced"?

Top Bottom