• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ditches main E3 conference, still there with games, press events, N-Direct

If I'm reading that right, their one open event is being replaced by two closed ones? If you're announcing a bunch of new games, wouldn't you want the publicity E3 gives you? I don't understand this move at all.

In this analogy, the whole E3 period is Christmas, during which you can reliably count on seeing the Christmas presents.

Now we don't know when Nintendo Christmas is anymore.

We've been Grinched. Scrooged. Bill Murray'd.

:(

If a traditional E3 conference is Christmas, then this strategy is Hanukkah.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This is for people who didn't read the OP

- Instead of a traditional Nintendo E3 Conference they will have a Nintendo Direct
- They will hold events for the media at E3
- They will have all the games they announced at the Nintendo Direct at E3 playable

To be specific, they basically say that we will get Nintendo Direct during E3 week right? I don't really want to get spoiled by media because I preferred to see it straight from Nintendo Direct or whatever they do.

Lunar15

- Instead of a traditional Nintendo E3 Conference they will have a Nintendo Direct
- They will have all the games they announced at the Nintendo Direct at E3 playable

Wow! It's like absolutely nothing changed at all!

Good thing no one jumped to horrible conclusions!

Selfishly, I'm disappointed.

But I'm also having a hard time understanding how conceding press and fan enthusiasm is a good thing. Sometimes perception is reality, and this just looks like giving up.

In this analogy, the whole E3 period is Christmas, during which you can reliably count on seeing the Christmas presents.

Now we don't know when Nintendo Christmas is anymore.

We've been Grinched. Scrooged. Bill Murray'd.

:(
Never use Bill Murray's name as a negative term.

This is like hearing that Christmas will go on this year but Christmas morning presents will now be distributed at random unforeseen intervals at times other than Christmas morning.

I mean, yeah, that's cool, miracles can happen at any time, but... uh... well... I liked Christmas morning. :-\
I feel the same normally, but frankly we know too little at this point, and I doubt it will be as extreme as people are suggesting.

Also, the past few Christmases have been bow-wrapped coal, so if we get real presents throughout Christmas... I think that would be more magical than what we've gotten recently. Nintendo Direct has acted as mini-E3s in the amount of awesome things that happen during them. Frankly, I don't think the fact that they will be customized or pre-recorded will be an ultimate issue with what we end up seeing and getting excited for. All I can tell now is that we won't have stage for them to stand on.

DaBoss

Sooo let me get this straight.

- Nintendo will not be hosting their traditional E3 press conference this year, as they've done so more or less every year.
- They will, however, still have their usual presence at E3, in terms of floor space dedicated to software for hands-on and what-not.
- In addition to this, they'll be hosting several "smaller" events during the same period, where they'll announce software.
- We can expect a lot of internet streaming/Nintendo Direct stuff.

I suppose what I'm asking is what the probability of Nintendo actually showing stuff before E3 is? Like, we know Super Mario U and Mario Kart U will be at E3, on the show floor, probably playable. So when are they getting "announced"?

I think the chances are pretty high for them to show something before E3 (conferences and actual E3).

Odinson

At first I was like wtf? Now that I think about it most conferences are just awkward interactions, sales, and awkward demo play. Most of the time GAF is screaming show us the gamez within the first five minutes. This way we just get straight to the point with no middle man. I also agree with what was said before about catering to the individual segments instead of everyone as a whole.

LOCK

Sooo let me get this straight.

- Nintendo will not be hosting their traditional E3 press conference this year, as they've done so more or less every year.
- They will, however, still have their usual presence at E3, in terms of floor space dedicated to software for hands-on and what-not.
- In addition to this, they'll be hosting several "smaller" events during the same period, where they'll announce software.
- We can expect a lot of internet streaming/Nintendo Direct stuff.

I suppose what I'm asking is what the probability of Nintendo actually showing stuff before E3 is? Like, we know Super Mario U and Mario Kart U will be at E3, on the show floor, probably playable. So when are they getting "announced"?

Unless they announce times, I hope one announcement is random. That surprise you get when logging into GAF and a megaton has dropped is pretty cool sometimes lol

UberTag

But they are going to E3.
To communicate to the media and retailers. NOT to gamers.
And gamers that aren't already Nintendo customers won't be watching Nintendo Directs.

Which means the only way Nintendo grows its customer base is through winning commercials like The Vanorsbys visit Nintendo HQ and "disinterested" media coverage.

It's effectively a case of diminishing returns without the possibility for any growth.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This is like hearing that Christmas will go on this year but Christmas morning presents will now be distributed at random unforeseen intervals at times other than Christmas morning.

I mean, yeah, that's cool, miracles can happen at any time, but... uh... well... I liked Christmas morning. :-\

This seems the most apt

Jawmuncher

You know that would be a golden move. Instead of going to E3... Nintendo brings E3 to you! You become the game journalist, you become the source of information. You become viral, you talk about to your friends, they talk to their friends etc. That would be smacking E3 in the arse.

GOLD

That would be absolutely amazing.
All my respect to any company that did that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I dunno, from some reactions it seems like people skip some words from the thread title and read nothing else.

Nintendo not holding E3 this year.

Lol.

Meelow

Banned
To be specific, they basically say that we will get Nintendo Direct during E3 week right? I don't really want to get spoiled by media because I preferred to see it straight from Nintendo Direct or whatever they do.

Yeah it will be the same week, it could be before Sony and Microsoft's conference or they might do it the same time they would of if they had a E3 conference.

Toparaman

Banned

Yeah, I'm confused why so many people are implying Nintendo won't be at E3 at all. Thought I might have missed something.

You mean the same mass audience that has collectively ignored the system since its launch?

I am really not sure if even Nintendo thinks that audience can be brought back.

loldancebrcm4.gif

jokkir

Well they have been shitty the past 5 years, I'm glad I won't sit through another one.

E3 2010 = best.

And I don't think many people are reading the OP. Nintendo will be at E3, just won't have a big conference like previous years. They'll communicate with their consumers through services like Nintendo Direct.

Galang

Banned
Well they're still going to announce new titles around that time so I'm not going to act pressed. Nintendo Directs are more organized anyway.. and we'll get hands on impressions/videos during E3 from the press. So I can't imagine it'll be bad

sant

E3 2010 = best.

And I don't think many people are reading the OP. Nintendo will be at E3, just won't have a big conference like previous years. They'll communicate with their consumers through services like Nintendo Direct.

Was that the one with the woman?

How the fuck do some of you jump to they have nothing to show? Did you even read the quote the thread is based on?

Im happy they went this way. Multiple Directs with the fluff cur out that fills every conference is a gain for everyone who just watches it streamed anyway.

odhiex

Seems like they want to avoid head-to-heads debates/discussions on the "who win E3 Press Conferences this year" thing against Sony and Microsoft... and focused more on demos at the booth.

Well this is interesting and also disappointing for me... I think, Nintendo certainly need a big stage to reveal the Next 3D Mario WiiU, Zelda WiiU, Metroid U, etc... small stages and Nintendo Directs only, would not give them boost of Hype they needed at E3.

But this could also be a smart move from Nintendo, I don't know ... maybe they are targeting more positive buzzes from the E3 floor, since people tend to be curious about the Nintendo Games... again most likely this is for Nintendo "Hardcore" audiences only.

Can't wait for E3.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Maybe they don't have enough material to fill out an E3 presentation. Or they're just too lazy to pad their presentation. One or the other.

My first thoughts. We'll see though. I get the feeling 99% of what they show will be what we already know about. We may or may not see some titles that we are expecting though - that includes a game we know Retro is working on and maybe even the 3D Mario game - since the announcement says they only plan on showing games that will be out this year. I also suspect the majority of third party games announced at E3 this year will not include Wii U as a platform, so any third party games going forward will likely be a collaboration with Nintendo like Bayonetta 2.

On a positive note, Nintendo seems to want to turn the situation for Wii U around like they did the 3DS, so perhaps this is part of their plan. I do think releasing a demo at the same time as the media plays it is a good idea. Maybe they'll use social media as well. I also think having your games ready as close as possible to E3 would be more cost effective in advertising. The media is not only giving the game attention, but then you have a demo for people to try out while the game could be released in a very short amount of time.

But they are having stuff at #3, they've already even said stuff they will have at E3 (Smash, Mario, Mario kart). The only thing this is changing is the supposed delivery method. Which frankly, as much as I like the spectacle of E3 conferences, doesn't really matter in regards to announcing stuff I care about or "changing everything'.

The issue is the lack of press coverage. Who watches Nintendo Direct besides people who don't own or have access to a Wii U or 3DS already? It's for existing customers and that's a problem when your customer base isn't where you want it to be.

Doesn't really affect me, as I'll find out about the games. But for a company with a new product in dire need of buzz/hype, I'm skeptical this approach will work. I guess we'll see what they roll out.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes, they said Nintendo directs for gamers. Closed events for press where they can experience software announced. Closed events for distributors.

Yeah it will be the same week, it could be before Sony and Microsoft's conference or they might do it the same time they would of if they had a E3 conference.

Alright, I don't really want situation with Brawl happened again for SSB4. I would like to see SSB4 Media right before media report the news.

Might not be such a bad idea (although it probably is) given the fact that Sony and Microsoft will both be displaying new hardware at the event and Nintendo would likely get overshadowed.

pargonta

holy shit, wtf... ninty e3 pressers have been part of my life for more than a decade..

this is sad.

in the end it's probably alright... but... sad.

Pooya

last year's was horrible and they had a new console at that.
the Nintendo Direct they had after e3 was far better with 3DSXL. It's been looking that way since they introduced the Directs, I think they will eventually leave e3 except for major product announcements, ND probably makes more sense for some game announcements.

E3 2010 = best.

Nintendo doesn't have a problem marketing to their existing fanbase. Communicating directly with your consumers is a great strategy, when you actually have a large consumer base. Nintendo, unfortunately, does not have that at the moment.

Sandfox

The issue is the lack of press coverage. Who watches Nintendo Direct besides people who don't own or have access to a Wii U or 3DS already? It's for existing customers and that's a problem when your customer base isn't where you want it to be.

And that's what the press at E3 is going to cover.

SparkTR

Might not be such a bad idea (although it probably is) given the fact that Sony and Microsoft will both be displaying new hardware at the event and Nintendo would likely get overshadowed.

They're going to get overshadowed regardless, better to stay out of Sony/Microsoft's onslaught and announce their stuff at a later date when people will actually see it.

Top Bottom