• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2014

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Capcom sale is up, discount price in bold:

Wii U:

• Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - $14.99 -> $6.75
  • DuckTales: Remastered - $14.99 -> $7.49
  • Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate - $39.99 -> $15.99
  • Resident Evil® Revelations - $49.99 -> $19.99
  • Street Fighter™ II: The World Warrior - $7.99 -> $4.99
  • Super Street Fighter™ II: The New Challengers - $7.99 -> $4.99
  • Street Fighter™ II’ Turbo: Hyper Fighting - $7.99 -> $4.99
  • Street Fighter™ Alpha 2 - $7.99 -> $4.99

3DS:

• Phoenix Wright®: Ace Attorney® - Dual Destinies - $29.99 -> $17.99
  • Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate - $39.99 -> $19.99
  • Resident Evil® Revelations - $19.99 -> $8.99
  • Resident Evil® Mercenaries 3D - $19.99 -> $8.99
  • Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition - $19.99 -> $9.99

sörine

Banned
Holy crap at those Capcom sales. I think I'll double dip on some of the 3DS titles just to have them digital and get rid of the carts.

zroid

Banned
man, some good prices there...

my intention to skip MH3U and just wait till MH4U is taking a serious blow right now

Should've waited to buy MH3U on a promo like this, damnit.

Also no Layton sale makes me mad.

EDIT: OH SNAP! There will be a digital version of Curtain Call, thank God for that, now I won't have to pay double the price for the retail. Yahoo

Is Dungeons & Dragons exactly the same as on PS3/360? I neglected to buy it initially because of the awful scaling options in the 360 demo, but I'd put down $6.75 to play it on the gamepad until I finally buy the JP version.

Shauni

Hm, Monster Hunter 3 for $15.99. I've been thinking about trying the series for awhile, but not sure if I have the time to truly dedicate to it (I hear it's one of those "it clicks in 30 hours played" things). I was going to pick up the Mario Kart 8 pre-DLC stuff, though, but I assume it's going to be up for awhile? Maybe. So much stuff, so little time.

Hm, Monster Hunter 3 for $15.99. I've been thinking about trying the series for awhile, but not sure if I have the time to truly dedicate to it (I hear it's one of those "it clicks in 30 hours played" things). I was going to pick up the Mario Kart 8 pre-DLC stuff, though, but I assume it's going to be up for awhile? Maybe. So much stuff, so little time.

Monster Hunter for $15.99 is an obscene value, as far as price vs. content goes. If you enjoy the game you'll drop 50+ hours into it easily.

ohlawd

I got it for free and I regret it every day of my life.

What was your problem with it? The combat? Can't just expect to manhandle a monster on your first try. Controls? They function like your average action game.

I freaking love it. Really gotta analyze what you're capable of with your weapon and how it stacks up against monster X or Y. There aren't enough games like MH.

jimi_dini

Is Ducktales any good? Never played the original.

Graphics are nice. The rest is meh.

They used hitboxes, that only cover parts of the enemies. Which means it's not pixel perfect. You can go through a small part of them without getting hurt and the levels are even designed, so that you have to do this. Which means part of the gameplay is crossing your fingers.

On PS3 the whole thing even froze my console 2 times. No idea if that's better on Wii U. I wanted a physical copy, that's why I bought it on PS3. You can't save during a level, which makes freezing worse. And you even have to play through the whole game on extreme difficulty for a trophy on PS3, which makes freezing unacceptable.

In US they released a patch for PS3, so that you can automatically skip over the silly cutscenes. That patch never made it to Europe, which also sucks. No idea if that feature is available on Wii U and if it's available everywhere or not.

The original was awesome. It was pixel perfect platforming. The original is not included (of course), only the music of the original is (as an unlockable).

Oh and they even changed the bosses to be "more difficult" and also added randomness to it. The last level (which was not at all in the original) features nice music, but the level design itself is pretty bad. And the escape part in the end is really awfully made (unless you use a few tricks to do shortcuts).

I read that a really bad slowdown, which happens during one of the boss fights on PS3, doesn't happen on Wii U. No idea, if that's true. But the slowdown is really bad and I have no idea how they managed to do this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UGH, I discovered that pre-ordering the Mario Kart 8 DLC gave me points for the DDP, which is great, but now I'm 3 points short of getting $5.

I guess I can get SF2010 next week, but dang, that $5 could have gone towards Gunvolt. Guess it can go towards Tappingo 2.

Mega Man X3 & Steamworld Dig HD are now mine!

Now if only I had folders..
I can't believe this still hasn't happened yet after the positive response from when the 3DS got them.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
UGH, I discovered that pre-ordering the Mario Kart 8 DLC gave me points for the DDP, which is great, but now I'm 3 points short of getting $5.

I guess I can get SF2010 next week, but dang, that $5 could have gone towards Gunvolt. Guess it can go towards Tappingo 2.

Do you have any Wii VC games you can upgrade? You get points for doing that.

Shauni

Got a game to upgrade or some super cheap DLC you haven't bought? I know Pikmon has cheap DLC, and a few of the Arkham Origins ones are under $2.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos
  • Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo)
    Mercedes-Benz DLC (Free)
  • Zen Pinball 2 (Zen Studio)
    Deadpool Table ($2.99)
    Doctor Strange Table ($2.99)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Table ($2.99)
    The Walking Dead Table ($2.99)
Wii U | Virtual Console
Wii U | Sales
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Capcom | $6.75 until 09/04, then $14.99)
  • DuckTales: Remastered (Capcom | $7.49 until 09/04, then $14.99)
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom | $15.99 until 09/04, then $39.99)
  • Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom | $19.99 until 09/04, then $49.99)
  • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Capcom | $4.99 until 09/04, then $7.99)
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Capcom | $4.99 until 09/04, then $7.99)
  • Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Capcom | $4.99 until 09/04, then $7.99)
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Capcom | $4.99 until 09/04, then $7.99)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Ubisoft | $19.99 Permanent, was $39.99) Upcoming 09/01
Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos
Nintendo 3DS | Sales
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom | $19.99 until 09/04, then $39.99)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Capcom | $17.99 until 09/04, then $29.99)
  • Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom | $8.99 until 09/04, then $19.99)
  • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom | $8.99 until 09/04, then $19.99)
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom | $9.99 until 09/04, then $19.99)
  • Soccer Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games | $1.99 until 09/17, then $6.99)
  • Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (Pixel Toys | $3.95 until 09/24, then $7.99) Upcoming 09/03
vYU92.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos
  • SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form | €8.99 | £6.99, if you own 3DS version: €6.49 | £4.99 until 09/25)
    TM_3DSDS_SteamWorldDig_search_thumb.png
  • Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo)
    Mercedes-Benz DLC (Free)
  • Zen Pinball 2 (Zen Studio)
    Deadpool Table (€2.99 | £2.39)
    Doctor Strange Table (€2.99 | £2.39)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Table (€2.99 | £2.39)
    The Walking Dead Table (€2.99 | £2.39)
Wii U | Virtual Console
Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console
  • Mega Man V (Capcom | Game Boy | €3.99 | £3.59)
    TM_3DSVC_MegaMan5Gameboy_search_thumb.png
Nintendo 3DS | Sales
  • Secrets of the Titanic (Avanquest | €4.99 | £4.99 until 09/11, then €10.99 | £9.99)
uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

tuffy

What was your problem with it?
Getting a game for free and regretting it from then on sounds like addict-speak to me.

Once Monster Hunter "clicks" (which doesn't take that long in my experience), it can turn into a very large time sink where there's always some new bit of equipment to forge, quest to clear or award to get.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do you have any Wii VC games you can upgrade? You get points for doing that.
Got a game to upgrade or some super cheap DLC you haven't bought? I know Pikmon has cheap DLC, and a few of the Arkham Origins ones are under $2.
Oh right, forgot about the Wii to Wii U VC upgrade, especially since I did it with Gradius when I had 500 Wii Points left over.

I'll have to check when I get back, there should be a VC title I could upgrade, though I don't know if there's any that I truly want to upgrade, especially since save data doesn't trasnfer. I still might just grab SF2010 since I've been curious about the game for some time & I wouldn't mind finally trying it out. I guess I could consider the $5 I'll get a refund/freebie if I don't like it.

It's ridiculous how many more Virtual Console games Japan gets in a week, even though US is supposed to be the strongest territory sales wise.

terrisus

Well, here's Calculate A beaten and Calculate B beaten (although these are really meant as multiplayer competitions, but at least going through them anyway >.>), and then (getting into the real meat of the game), a 1000 on the first set of +-*/ exercises

zlCfzSYIlLckvkONru

I'll do the rest of the +-*/ exercises later (and some of them are pretty challenging to get 1000s on), but that's some for now anyway. Although I feel like I'm spamming up Miiverse with posts for each one of these >.>

terrisus

You'll be the only one on there.

Where's the video?

Well, I've already gotten a bunch of Yeahs on there :þ

As discussed earlier, it would be impossible for me to post those screenshots without having actually done them myself, but, I'll see if I can figure out how to do video on my phone for one of the runs :þ

terrisus

You know Miiverse has an icon that shows when a person actually owns a game, right?

Exactly.
Unless there's some other person using the NNID "terrisus" who happens to have bought DK Jr. Math and posted these images >.>

I don't really see what the issue here is, but, I'll toss together a quick video anyway :þ

GulAtiCa

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I want RER wiiu discount in Europe too..!
Do we know if Steamworld dig cross discount is permanent?
do we know when shovel knight will release in PAL?

Best week in a while. Steamworld and The Fall are both fantastic. Mega Man X3 is good and those Capcom sales present some obscene value.

I hope people open their wallets.

terrisus

Well, here's a video.

I should've turned off my air conditioner, can't really hear the sound of the game over it too well.
Also can't really read the note on the paper I put on the television - it says "Hey GAF! <3 TerrisUS" (I was playing directly on the gamepad, so having the paper there didn't bother me any).

Anyway though, hopefully that puts an end to that, and we can have an end to the completely absurd beating of a horribly disfigured horse corpse of "This week sucks because they didn't release this select list of games that I want, but are only releasing games that no one on earth wants or will get." Certainly there are plenty of reasons to complain about the VC, but it just gets extremely tiring when it's the same stuff over and over and over and over again.

Top Bottom