• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2011

beje

Banned
The ones who ported it =/= the original devs. The 3DS version is by Nicalis, who you may know as "the guys who keep dicking with Cave Story".

More in my behalf then. I mean, it's not like they're porting something tech-heavy that needs to escalate assets, it's a frigging spectrum-like game that runs at the exact resolution of the target system.

@MUWANdo

Banned
More in my behalf then. I mean, it's not like they're porting something tech-heavy that needs to escalate assets, it's a frigging spectrum-like game that runs at the exact resolution of the target system.

But they added 3D! (that you won't be able to use due to the black backgrounds)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I know we're all too busy with our 3ds backlogs these days, but has anybody checked Comando:Steel Disaster @dsiware? The trailer looks rad.

qq more

VVVVVV is a flash game? I don't think so.

Anyways, wow. 8 dollars? No fucking thanks.

I overacted, I apologize.

EDIT: Oh, can't even do a strike out. :C

Lijik

8 bucks for VVVVVV? When it's 5 on Steam not counting sales/discounts?

Im pretty sure it started out at 10 bucks before being marked down permanently, maybe they based the price off of that?
8-10 is a pretty hard pill to swallow despite it being an amazing game.

M3d10n

It was, in the original Steam release. Recently a free update basically replaced the entire game by a C/C++ port (which I imagine is the basis for the 3DS version).

Im pretty sure it started out at 10 bucks before being marked down permanently, maybe they based the price off of that?
8-10 is a pretty hard pill to swallow despite it being an amazing game.

It launched at $15.

$8 isn't a surprising price. $5 on PC is without all the kind of red tape fees you have to cover on consoles/portables like dev kits and ratings boards.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I know we're all too busy with our 3ds backlogs these days, but has anybody checked Comando:Steel Disaster @dsiware? The trailer looks rad.

It came out at retail years ago, all I remember about it is that they stole music from some Gundam thing. All the reviews slammed it for being cheap.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

It's a lame Metal Slug rip.
Really difficult game if I recall, haven't played it in a long time. I'm sure the retail cart is dirt cheap.

That's your loss then. I'd imagine that the 8 dollar price point coincides with Nicalis' price for Cave Story on the eShop as well.

Nicalis ports over some wonderful indie games to consoles - that effort alone is worth the price of admission.

Javier

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - DECEMBER 29, 2011

Dec. 29, 2011

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop
VVVVVV – There's something terribly wrong in an alternate dimension. Help Captain Viridian flip to find five crew members, locate 20 hard-to-reach Trinkets and save a dimension on the brink of destruction. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

BIONIC COMMANDO™ – When the Federation's greatest soldier is captured while infiltrating the enemy Doraize Army and investigating the development of a powerful super-weapon, elite commando Rad Spencer is sent in to save his missing comrade. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™
Cake Ninja – This casual game invites you to slide the stylus across the screen to slice cakes into small pieces like a true ninja warrior. The more cakes you slice, the longer you stay around. (For Nintendo 3DS /Nintendo DSi™)

Also new this week:
• Slingo Supreme (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare)
• Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math: The Big Ben Burglary (WiiWare™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/downloadWz29gKlm.php.
Since I've never played VVVVVV, I'm going to get it when it's up. It looks like a fun game and portability is probably worth the extra bucks.

GeekyDad

Nice. I will have Bionic Commando. Never played the GB version. I'll probably do the latest Mighty game and Pushmo too, and that'll be my $20 gift card. Nice way to wrap up the year on 3DS.

Lijik

Finishing my eshop purchases strong.
Picking up Carmen Sandiego THE game to have not just of the week but the YEAR

beje

Banned
So, no demos? Not even RE:R? Well, we can give the feature for lost in the West already. If they're not going to shove a demo for the biggest release incoming 3 weeks prior launch to everybody's console (especially when it's DONE and TRANSLATED already to all languages), it's obvious they don't care at all.

radcliff

Hey, Reggie! Remember when you said in the Time Magazine interview that there would be Wii VC releases towards the end of the year? I guess not.

wsippel

Banned
No demos in today's update, I take it.

:(
Yeah, nothing. Resident Evil is already rated in all regions and the demo is localized. There's no excuse for not having the demo up in all regions. Some press guys should ask for an official statement, and I guess it might be time to send Nintendo a couple hundred thousand angry emails...

depward

I loved VVVVVV on my Mac when I bought it at a discounted price. I MAY spring for the handheld version granted the 3D looks good. The soundtrack is actually worth that price of admission alone!

GeekyDad

yeah it's total garbage worse release in a long time i can't believe nintendo even lets FLASH developers on their service UN BE LIE VA BLE

In spite of what can only be interpreted as major sarcasm, don't you think pricing a Flash game at $8 kinda diminishes Nintendo's whole argument regarding what "they" offer over iOS, etc.?

Downloading VVVVVV!!!!!!!
Haven't played the game before but I've heard great things so I think the price is OK.
The download is 491 blocks.

wsippel

Banned
In spite of what can only be interpreted as major sarcasm, don't you think pricing a Flash game at $8 kinda diminishes Nintendo's whole argument regarding what "they" offer over iOS, etc.?
I don't see how it's in any way relevant what engine a game uses. In fact, Flash is a more expensive engine than Unity or even Unreal Engine these days.

OnPoint

The best part about VVVVVV coming out on the 3DS for me is that I can sneak it into my Top 5 games of the year list.

Woo!

I'm also interested in seeing how the 3D works

Is it out NA only or EU as well?
I'm downloading from the NA store!

Quick Impressions:
The game runs great, really like the controls, feels really smooth (though that's to be expected, I guess).
The 3D is a nice little bonus but nothing out of this world. There is a bit of ghosting because of the black backgrounds.
There's usually 3 levels of depth. There's a space (animated stars) background, then a bit of scenery from the ship and then the front layer where the character and the actual level are located.
Haven't even finished the first level yet.

***plays***

qq more

yeah it's total garbage worse release in a long time i can't believe nintendo even lets FLASH developers on their service UN BE LIE VA BLE

I never said any of this at all.

I never said I hate VVVVVV. And I even said it isn't Flash (I was referring to a post earlier that claims its a flash game). It's a great game (have it on Steam) but I'm shocked that it's 8 dollars. But isn't the Steam version cheaper?

Oh well, it's not a really big deal I guess, just a couple dollars more. So I guess in a way I did overacted a bit.

EDIT: Is there actually anything new in this port?

bigswords

Oh man I though I was late to grab the free ambassador games, but 24 virtual console games....oh my Nintendo really knows how to treat its customers. So happy~~~

But Zelda OOT I never played it before and its...good, really good.

For my Euro brethren, the developer posted this on his blog:

We were hoping to launch in both the US and Europe simultaneously, but unfortunately there were hold ups with getting a rating from PEGI. So sadly, we’re gonna have to wait till the new year to launch in Europe.

LOVE Mighty Switch Force on 3DS!

The controls are super-tight and the gameplay is really fun. Retro but with a new twist thanks to the switching mechanic. Yes it's short but trying to hit par will keep me busy, just hope they release some new levels in the future. If this and the incredible Pullblox are the sign of things to come then the eShop (and hopefully Wii U-ware) could become something really very special indeed.

Can't wait to VVVVVVVVVV launches in Europe, just totally addicted to the 3DS right now and the line-up over the next year is going to be amazing. Never thought I'd be this excited about a handheld :D

GeekyDad

I don't see how it's in any way relevant what engine a game uses. In fact, Flash is a more expensive engine than Unity or even Unreal Engine these days.

It doesn't, and I didn't make a comment regarding the matter. Perhaps you meant to reply to a different post.

Cdammen

Is there a place to check if the European 3DS shop is down or something? I get Error Code: 001-0502 but my Internet connection is fine. I've update my console and all.

(EDIT) Nevermind it, might just be my router. But why did it let med update then? Always a problem with Nintendo and Internet.

Top Bottom