• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2014

The Quintet games would be great, but they have never been rereleased in any form, so it's pretty likely there'd be some kind of licensing problems. They also planned to release Lufia on Wii VC, I hope this time they'll finally do it.
(my memory is a bit rusty, its been over 5 years) The SNES emulator on Wii VC used to (releases of 2006-2007) have some sort of game list inside (presumably a compatibility/tested list) that people found when they were unencrypted.

I believe Illusion of Gaia appears in this but in later releases had a * by its name (Picross NP is another thing with * by its name which makes me think these are things not coming out, though Seiken Densetsu 2 also had that and came out eventually).

Davey Cakes

Fixed pricing is baffling, yes.

The idea that games Donkey Kong and SMB3 are the same price considering the difference in level/quality of content is nuts.

It'd be better if pricing was by generation instead. First gen NES games for $2, second gen for $3, third for $4. Or something like that.

Then again, plenty of today's full-priced $60 games vary between being 5 hours long and 100 hours long so duration of content may not necessarily be the best barometer.

That said, a game from the 80's which can be beaten in minutes should not cost $5.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I believe Illusion of Gaia appears in this but in later releases had a * by its name (Picross NP is another thing with * by its name which makes me think these are things not coming out, though Seiken Densetsu 2 also had that and came out eventually).

Ah, never heard of that. I guess that "*" might have meant emulation problems or something like that. Maybe they were able to fix the problems later for Secret of Mana (or discovered that what they thought were bugs were actually in the original game, given how buggy that game is).
But then again, just because they tested the game doesn't mean it already cleared all licensing problems, I'd expect that to be a later step.

Frolow

Banned
This is a pretty odd request, but does anyone still have a download code for the Dinosaur Office Remix video they gave away a few years back? I'm trying to make a list of all the 3DS videos they've offered and that's the only one I'm missing.

Somnid

The idea that games Donkey Kong and SMB3 are the same price considering the difference in level/quality of content is nuts.

It'd be better if pricing was by generation instead. First gen NES games for $2, second gen for $3, third for $4. Or something like that.

Then again, plenty of today's full-priced $60 games vary between being 5 hours long and 100 hours long so duration of content may not necessarily be the best barometer.

That said, a game from the 80's which can be beaten in minutes should not cost $5.

Yeah they generally fixed this with Gameboy where early (lame) titles are $3.00 and more popular ones are $4.00. They should chop $1 to $1.50 off a lot of early NES games and it would feel better.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I wish Harmo Knight would on sale... Even €10 would be good enough to make me jump in.
I really enjoyed the demo back then.

terrisus

Given how many people purchase Super Mario Bros. 1, over and over, for whatever they charge for it, I'm not sure they have too much reason to do that.

L~A

We already have a partial list for next week :

3DS Downloads

AeternoBlade (CoreCell) : 14.99€
Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate (MSL) : 11.99€
Mysterious Cities of Gold (Ynnis Interactive) : 14.99€

3DS Retail

Senran Kagura Burst (MAQL Europe) : 34.55€ (27.02.2014)

3DS Virtual Console

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Nintendo) : 4.99€

Tappingo (cool Picross-type game) is coming out next week in the US. Will buy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrq4DZXiLA

Probably my biggest pet-hate in indie games is when they don't give a shit about fonts. The one used for the clock and various other things just doesn't fit at all and makes the whole thing look like it was thrown together haphazardly.

Obviously it won't stop me buying it or anything, it just annoys me. Shit like that is important to the feel of a game.

Glass Joe

Super Mario Bros would be a first gen NES game though? But there's no reason to try to come up with a solution like that anyway because Nintendo already has the relevant sales data. Was a particular VC title a dud in the Wii days? Low-tier sellers should have lower tier prices, pretty simple. And 3rd party stuff can stay $5 by default, but give them the option to go lower if they want. They have enough titles now that if they wanted, they could do a spotlight on a "dud" for like, half price now, too. "Virtual Console Title of the Month" or some other promo.

JoeM86

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Darksiders II (Re-Addition) €49.99 (£39.99)
Evofish €3.99 (£3.59)

Wii U VC
Wario's Woods €4.99 (£3.49)

3DS
Aeterno Blade €14.99 (£13.50)
The Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths €14.99 (£13.49)
SENRAN KAGURA Burst €34.55 (£29.99)
Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate €11.99 (£10.79)
Bibi & Tina - Das Spiel zum Kinofilm €39.99 (Germany Only)

3DS VC
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe €4.99 (£4.49)

===
Price Reductions

Temporary

Wii U
Darksiders® II €39.99 (£31.99) until 13/03/14 23:59 UTC.
Knytt Underground €4.49 (£3.99) until 06/03/14 23:59 UTC.

3DS
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow- Mirror of Fate €22.49 (£19.99) until 06/03/14 23:59 local time.

Permanent

Wii U
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist €29.99 (£19.99)
Just Dance 4 €19.99 (£14.99)

L~A

Pretty decent week overall! I'm actually interested in two games (AeternoBlade + SK), but I'll just pick up Senran Kagura Burst, as I really need more Life and Hometown in my life :p

Oh, and Darksiders II being on discount for 39.99€ means it's probably 49.99€/59.99€. They don't give much of a damn, heh?

Is devil survivor overclocked worth 20 bucks?

Never played one of them

I've only heard good things about it, so I think so... might wait for someone who's played it, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Another shitty week - as expected. Why wont they just drop quality VC stuff ? So stupid.
Whats up with all these C-tier publishers dominating the eShop lately - considering how many bigger companies having trouble to get their stuff on it (Atlus lol), it always is fascinating seeing all these shovelware titles being releases day 1 on the eShop xD
Why? This is crazy.

Edit: I saw the temporary cut, €39.99 (£31.99) is still too much.

Didnt they have to remove all DarkSiders titles from digital stores because of licensing issues a couple of months ago ? Or am i mixing stuff up ?

I don't care if there's not something I want to buy evey week, the important thing is that they consistently release something. The problem is weeks where there isn't a single VC release when really they should be doing at least a couple a week on Wii U.

69wpm

As expected, the price for Darksiders II is a joke. Will take a look at Evovish and wait for a further price cut for Splinter Cell.

L~A

Wii Street U has been updated and now features 20 mystery characters placed in various places around the world!

Noticed that Wii Street U got an update the other day... strange they didn't announce it earlier.

Robin64

I like how the VC game for 3DS this week is the one they gave to everyone for free for using an NNID.

Noticed that Wii Street U got an update the other day... strange they didn't announce it earlier.

Sounds mysterious. I wonder what exactly they mean..

3DS VC
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe €4.99 (£4.49)
Four Swords anniversary next!
That would require Nintendo to acknowledge DSiWare exists (I would pay £4.49; none of this can only download for 4 days if you sell your soul and make an NNID)...notice how DSiWare has never gone on sale.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wario's Woods was kinda expected this week. But now that they're done with the NES Remix games I wonder what's up next. I think we still have to catch up on some NA releases (like Castlevania games, Ninja Gaiden or Super C).
And this week NA's WiiU VC game can't be the same as Europe's, so let's see which one NA gets.

JoeM86

Wario's Woods was kinda expected this week. But now that they're done with the NES Remix games I wonder what's up next. I think we still have to catch up on some NA releases (like Castlevania games, Ninja Gaiden or Super C).
And this week NA's WiiU VC game can't be the same as Europe's, so let's see which one NA gets.
Maybe they'll finally get Super Mario Bros. 3.

L~A

I like how the VC game for 3DS this week is the one they gave to everyone for free for using an NNID.

Sounds mysterious. I wonder what exactly they mean..

It's simple :

- there some hidden characters throughout the world : you have to find them
- you can now set "routes", where the camera moves by itself (you can still you look at 360° by looking around you) + you can share those via Miiverse
- you can now have a "slideshow" of popular spots throughout the world.

Not everyone, those who didn't make an ID/those who only got their console after the promotion end can now get the game too, though they have to pay. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Khaz

This week, in Europe
[...]
3DS
Bibi & Tina - Das Spiel zum Kinofilm €39.99 (Germany Only)

Let's all cheer for intra-european region lock!

Because this game doesn't have translations, it can't have an official presence in the non-german eShops. It's fine, but because NNID locks people out of foreign eShop, I can't go out of my way to buy it on the German eShop. Yes I speak German Nintendo and I even happen to go there with my non-german 3DS.

I have no idea what this game is
[edit]
omg it looks so bad, give me better game to fuel my NNID rants

Jucksalbe

Banned
Let's all cheer for intra-european region lock!

lol
This is from a movie of a (somewhat) popular German series for children. This is probably only for Germany because noone outside of Germany even knows this and because of that they probably didn't even bother to get a PEGI rating (actually, looking it up, they did bother).
And even without seeing anything of this game, I guarantee your not missing out on anything here.
Though, the series at least has an English wiki page, so someone outside of Germany must know of it.

Edit: Of course, you still can import the retail version. Have fun!

Top Bottom