• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2014

Davey Cakes

What the hell is wrong with NOA. Japan gets Final Fantasy IV and we get fuckin Ice Hockey?
At this point it's beating a dead horse but yeah, a pretty disgraceful showing.

Japan is treating the Wii U like shit but the Japanese are treated like kings when it comes to this stuff.

At this point it's beating a dead horse but yeah, a pretty disgraceful showing.

Japan is treating the Wii U like shit but the Japanese are treated like kings when it comes to this stuff.

I want to give them money but they apparently don't want it. It's been almost a year since Iwata took over as NOA CEO and nothing has changed.

Chemo

Man, I would have considered buying Ace Attorney 5 if NA had gotten the sale, even in the face of my no-digital-for-Nintendo-systems rule. Way to miss out on money, Capcom.

zroid

Banned
Man, I would have considered buying Ace Attorney 5 if NA had gotten the sale, even in the face of my no-digital-for-Nintendo-systems rule. Way to miss out on money, Capcom.

The sale was intended as a promo for Professor Layton x Ace Attorney, so it's not exactly surprising we didn't get it. Maybe when that game is released here... (who knows when)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So initial Weapon Shop de Omasse impressions.

The actual gameplay is pretty decent and standard for a rhythm game. I've only played a few rhythm games before, so I'm not really the best person to judge it against other games in the genre. There are two main sections of gameplay, the forging and polishing processes. The forging segments are where the rhythm game mechanics take place, the better you keep with the time and form chains, the better the weapon quality. The polishing segment features rubbing the weapon to increase stats for a better outcome during NPC quests.

The script is good. You can tell effort was put into the localization. The game's also mainly a satirical take on RPGs, with some of the dialogue offering commentary on the genre. When you're not doing anything, there's some downtime where you can check on the progress of the NPC's quests via a Twitter-esque feed, complete with hashtags.

There's some questionable sound direction with the sitcom "live audience" sounds, but it's what the game is going for so it isn't too much of a bother. The actual rhythm section has some decent music.

I would say that if you're into rhythm games or want something different to try out, Weapon Shop de Omasse might be worth getting. If it ever goes on sale like the current Guild sale, definitely pick it up.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How competent is Kung Fu Rabbit (eyeing the 3DS port) compared to, say, Super Meat Boy or other high quality indie platformers?

steveovig

How competent is Kung Fu Rabbit (eyeing the 3DS port) compared to, say, Super Meat Boy or other high quality indie platformers?

It's similar but more like a lite version. It's easier and shorter but still fun. I've seen it on sale before so maybe you could wait for a discount.

I don't think NOA is completely powerless where third party games are concerned but they can't even get first party games out like SMB 3 or any N64 titles.

This. Unless things change drastically right away for the next system's VC setup and output, I've actually decided that Wii U will be the last Nintendo console I actively support VC on thanks to NOA's neverending stupidity. I've had it. As I've posted before, I'm already not planning on getting GBA VC titles due to this and am just going stick to my GBA cart collection/GBA SP/DS Lite.

Somnid

I don't think NOA is completely powerless where third party games are concerned but they can't even get first party games out like SMB 3 or any N64 titles.

They did release a first-party title this week. Title "XYZ" is rather unimportant in the scheme of things unless it's something relatively rare or never on VC before, there's at least 5 other ways to get SMB3 and at least 1 is still current (Wii VC). These aren't new games or anything, it's a just matter of whether it's coming or not.

Speaking of Square Enix, where the hell is the Soul Blazer trilogy?

I'd love to know too. I guess step one is actually getting them to release their games on Wii U in North America.

steveovig

Couldn't Nintendo money-hat Square to get them to release more VC that haven't seen the light of day? We're talking about ROMs of old games here, it can't cost that much.

Somnid

Couldn't Nintendo money-hat Square to get them to release more VC that haven't seen the light of day? We're talking about ROMs of old games here, it can't cost that much.

Why would they have to? It really is free money for Square-Enix. They've released a few Wii U VC games in Japan, they released Wii VC games in North America. I don't know what the holdup is but certainly Capcom doesn't have it (Konami did but they got over it minus TG16 which is still relatively new for Wii U). The nice thing is Nintendo, Capcom and Sunsoft have all released previously unreleased games on Wii U/3DS VC so the expectation should be the libraries may exceed Wii's in time.

steveovig

Why would they have to? It really is free money for Square-Enix. They've released a few Wii U VC games in Japan, they released Wii VC games in North America. I don't know what the holdup is but certainly Capcom doesn't have it (Konami did but they got over it minus TG16 which is still relatively new for Wii U). The nice thing is Nintendo, Capcom and Sunsoft have all released previously unreleased games on Wii U/3DS VC so the expectation should be the libraries may exceed Wii's in time.

In time, meaning 2016 if you don't live in Japan. I want to buy Final Fantasy 3 (6) since I haven't played it much. That's money that could go in SE and Nintendo pockets but they won't release it yet. Surely, if Earthbound can stay on the charts for months, Final Fantasy games and other SE RPGs would sell too.

Jucksalbe

Banned

If they give them money, then use it to make them translate some of their RPGs that haven't been released in the West (like Seiken Densetsu 3).
SquareEnix will release their games anyway, so no reason to waste money on that.

They did release a first-party title this week. Title "XYZ" is rather unimportant in the scheme of things unless it's something relatively rare or never on VC before, there's at least 5 other ways to get SMB3 and at least 1 is still current (Wii VC). These aren't new games or anything, it's a just matter of whether it's coming or not.

To me, Nintendo games are as iconic, timeless and classic as Beatles songs. There's many different ways I can listen to the Beatles albums I own but like many people, I still very much appreciate the fact that all of their respective songs are also available to purchase on my IPhone if I wish and this is now how I listen to them whenever I'm driving. And it took years, but I'm glad Apple didn't stop until they figured out a way to bring the Beatles to ITunes. How many IPhone owners before that would have steadfastly said, "Yeah, I'd like to have Beatles songs on my IPhone, but I still have my physical Beatles albums and unless they can convince McCartney to release some ultra rare bootleg tracks to go with them, it doesn't really matter to me if the main bulk of their most popular songs go on ITunes"?

The point, which has been repeated many times, and shouldn't have to be repeated much if at all, is that Nintendo is still not making the VC a fully viable service both in functionality, release schedules and especially in lessening the gap of output disparity between regions. Is it nice Nintendo worked to include BC so that I can play my OG VC copy of SMB 3 in Wii Mode if I wish? Yes, of course. Ok, so how does that excuse the fact NOA is still the only region holding it back for Wii U when Japan and EU have had it for months?

You can split hairs all you want, the VC is a service for delivering classic games and in its current technical state on Wii U, it now gives me, the customer, the ability to upgrade my previous copy. So I as the customer can and should point out how rediculous it is and what poor business practice it is for one region of a global company to consistently ignore customer demand. Would McCartney and Steve Jobs have lost anything by not making Beatles happen on IPhone? No. But they would have been letting a lot of extra money just sit on the table from the people who were clamoring to put the songs on their IPhones. I even remember Ringo said in an interview that he was happy the ITunes deal finally went through because fans kept asking him if it would ever happen and now he could finally say yes. I can imagine Itoi felt much the same way about Earthbound's VC release, a title which was number one for weeks and about eight months later is still in the U.S. eShop's top ten. Again, by not making Wii U VC output more robust, Nintendo is just leaving money on the table.

Nintendo keeps telling us it's great that we only have to pay small fees to upgrade our titles and keep telling us how great it is that we can now play VC on the Gamepad, so it's on them to act like they mean what they keep telling us. And as someone who enjoys downloading classic games, I am not just going to shrug it off and blandly rationalize it all with excuses for them such as "Oh well, lots of people already own these games in some form and unless they have something a lot more rare to offer they might as well just drip feed us stuff like Ice Hockey and continue to undersupport the service."

I'm not expecting every game to be available obviously. However as both an avid VC purchaser over the past seven years and a loyal Wii U owner despite its continually poor sales and disintegrating third party support, I have EVERY RIGHT to EXPECT that Nintendo do a much better job in managing the VC with what they have. I'm not going to settle for the Monkees when I could be listening to Abbey Road. Get it?

Javier

Before NES Remix was out, Nintendo released all 16 games featured in it, and briefly had advertised them as "The games from NES Remix".

Logic dictates we should be getting the missing games from NES Remix 2 before it comes out on April 25, and those games are:

- Dr. Mario
- NES Open Tournament Golf
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP)
- Super Mario Bros. 3

Davey Cakes

The lack of Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma on VC hurts my heart.
I may skip SB but I've always wanted to hunker down with Illusion of Gaia. And Terranigma would be an import title so I'm somewhat interested there, too.

Both Square and Enix have content from the 90's that seemed like shoo-in material for the VC since the early days of the Wii and yet we still haven't seen it. Insane.

Jucksalbe

Banned
SquareEnix has a lot of games in their back catalogue that I'd like to see on VC.
The Quintet games would be great, but they have never been rereleased in any form, so it's pretty likely there'd be some kind of licensing problems. They also planned to release Lufia on Wii VC, I hope this time they'll finally do it.

But you have to use both at once.

Eh, what? Who thought of that great idea? Maybe they changed it for this release?

I may skip SB but I've always wanted to hunker down with Illusion of Gaia. And Terranigma would be an import title so I'm somewhat interested there, too.

Both Square and Enix have content from the 90's that seemed like shoo-in material for the VC since the early days of the Wii and yet we still haven't seen it. Insane.

I bought Soul Blazer at blockbuster video for $10 back in the mid 90s and returned it the next day. That's why, when I found all three (SFC) for 400 yen a pop recently, I only got the other two. I need to sit down and spend some time with them. I enjoyed what I played of Gaia and Terranigma in the past, even if they were a little rough in some ways.

It would be great to see them all released in English for VC.

GeekyDad

The reviewer at Destructoid seems to like it a lot more.

Well, like he summed up in his review, it's a rhythm game. I guess if you miss that point, your view of the game could be vastly different.

I LOVE it...

I thought it was pretty good, and very good for an iOS game, which is where I played it about a year ago, I think. Doesn't feel like a $5 game, though. I wouldn't put it in league with Super Meat Boy, but it's kinda going for that with a much lighter difficulty.

rpmurphy

Yeah, that one seems obvious, but for some reason they don't seem to want to release those. Might have been because of the DQ collection on Wii, but who knows?
I wish I could understand what they are thinking. I mean, I understand that the collection was a good idea for an easy return (and Nintendo did the same putting Mario and Kirby ROMs on discs too), but that doesn't at all seem like good reason to avoid VC altogether considering how highly-valued those games are. They have been missing out on perennial revenue all these years.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I really doubt Terranigma will be released on the US Wii U VC, since there's no official 60Hz version in English.

rpmurphy

The reviewer at Destructoid seems to like it a lot more.
My initial impressions are that I'm definitely liking it as well. However, from the time I spent with it so far (about an hour played), I think it can be said that this hybrid of shop management and rhythm game has both aspects watered down (although it's somewhat expected considering it was just one of four games in the Guild 01 collection rather than a full-blown game). The complexity and depth of the game is not particularly high, since the main strategy of the weapon-selling part of it is selling the preferred weapon with high stats for the attack types that will most likely be used by the NPC in battle. For those looking into it for rhythm gameplay, you don't get to see as much of it since the song "ends" when you complete the weapon rather than finishing all of the song (I'm not too far into it yet, but I think it increases with higher-level weapons?). Even with these qualities, I like its design as a game that you can play at a brisk pace, and all of the characters' dialogue and "Grindcast" feeds are pretty fun to read.

For those that say that it's worth waiting for a sale before buying, I can understand that. But, I don't regret my purchase so far, and if it eventually gets the $2.99 sale like the other Guild games, it would probably be one of the top games I'd end up recommending.

Javier

It's weird that the only Quintet game SE released on Wii VC was ActRaiser. I wonder why they never bothered with ActRaiser 2, the Soul Blazer trilogy, and Robotrek.

zigg

Fixed VC pricing means they can't charge $17 for it like they can on, um, other platforms.
Fixed VC pricing is bullshit. Some games aren't worth more than a buck or two, others could still be worth $20. It doesn't matter what platform they were on.

Top Bottom