• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

Chopper

I don't know what you giys are talking about. I've really enjoyed most of the stuff WayForward have made, particularly their DS stuff. They made great 2D games out of Thor, Batman and Aliens at least. Nothing amazing, but definitely a shed-load of fun whilst they last. And yeah, A Boy and his Blob was awesome!

Baconbitz

Banned
Apparently they added it a month ago and didn't tell anyone. :p I just downloaded it to check it out. Zero production values. No backgrounds, basic sounds, mostly just text on a white screen. :p

It's a patch. What were you expecting?

Edit: Downloaded the origional A boy and his blob last night. Ummm... I'm so confused as to how this game plays. I also downloaded Ristar and confused by the controls. I didn't get very far. I got to enemy and tried jumping to the next platform and couldn't get up so I gave up.

Lijik

I don't know what you giys are talking about. I've really enjoyed most of the stuff WayForward have made, particularly their DS stuff. They made great 2D games out of Thor, Batman and Aliens at least. Nothing amazing, but definitely a shed-load of fun whilst they last. And yeah, A Boy and his Blob was awesome!

I haven't played all of their games, but I've greatly enjoyed what I've played from them.
Its not even a visual thing, I think their licensed GBA output are pure shit despite those games having pretty amazing spritework!
I've had a lot of fun with Shantae 2, Mighty Flip Champs, A Boy and his Blob, and Mighty Switch Force.
Out of those, I think MSF is the weakest. Not a lot of content and I didn't feel like they explored the gameplay concept as far as they could have. It should have had more incidents, or a stage creator like Pushmo does. Theres not a whole lot of elements in play, so I think it'd be easy to keep simple from a UI standpoint.

jgkspsx

I will agree that Aliens is amazing, and probably the best thing they've done. I have ABoB, but haven't actually played it yet.

Chopper

I haven't played all of their games, but I've greatly enjoyed what I've played from them.
Its not even a visual thing, I think their licensed GBA output are pure shit despite those games having pretty amazing spritework!
I've had a lot of fun with Shantae 2, Mighty Flip Champs, A Boy and his Blob, and Mighty Switch Force.
Out of those, I think MSF is the weakest. Not a lot of content and I didn't feel like they explored the gameplay concept as far as they could have. It should have had more incidents, or a stage creator like Pushmo does. Theres not a whole lot of elements in play, so I think it'd be easy to keep simple from a UI standpoint.
I like the game, but am spoilt enough to resent the fact that it's so huge I can't download the Resident Evil demo, and has indirectly forced me to spend more of my income on a bigger SD card. Damn you WayForward!

Anyone else get Rabi x Labi on the Japanese eShop? It's pretty cool and some of these levels are really challenging. o_O

What's it like? I know it's a puzzle game, which I love, but that's about all I know. Also, I see it's listed as episode 3. Are the prior episodes dsiware?

I've been looking for good original games to download on the Japanese 3DS shop, because all I have so far are classic GB games.

sfried

What's it like? I know it's a puzzle game, which I love, but that's about all I know. Also, I see it's listed as episode 3. Are the prior episodes dsiware?

I've been looking for good original games to download on the Japanese 3DS shop, because all I have so far are classic GB games.
The first installment has been translated by AgeTech under the name "Rabi Labi". It's a balls hard reflexes based action platformer. Quite a bit of quick thinking is needed, but those split-second reactions needed might turn some people off.

In other words, it feels like a doujin game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That sucks D: Are you sure?
“Specifically related to the UK, will the release date of Mutant Mudds be pretty similar to the U.S.?”

“The release of Mutant Mudds outside of the US will be delayed. This is due to Renegade Kid being a small studio. We have to take it one step at a time. Unfortunately, releasing a game in different countries is a time-consuming and costly business. But, rest assured that we will get Mutant Mudds into the UK as soon as possible.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/81345/talking-with-jools-watsham-mutant-mudds-dementium-3d-dlc-more/

............ :-/

Pietepiet

Lol I thought that in the digital download era these problems were inexistent :/

Nope. You have to deal with getting ratings from PEGI and ESRB, getting through Nintendo's lot-check (which can be hellish at times) and other shit. It can be very expensive and time consuming.

@MUWANdo

Banned
PAL press release is up - 3DS VC is getting Balloon Kid, nothing else on there worth mentioning. No demos listed, either.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
PAL press release is up - 3DS VC is getting Balloon Kid, nothing else on there worth mentioning. No demos listed, either.
I'm getting a friggin JP unit, I swear.

Nope. You have to deal with getting ratings from PEGI and ESRB, getting through Nintendo's lot-check (which can be hellish at times) and other shit. It can be very expensive and time consuming.

It seems to be the ratings system that is causing the issues for the most part. Yes, there are horror stories about lotcheck, but unless you're Nicalis and apparently unable to submit a decent build of anything ever it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Waiting times for ratings and the cost involved for small publishers/developers seem to be a far bigger problem.

I can kind of understand why Nintendo are reluctant to go the Apple route and not require ESRB/PEGI/etc. certification, but I think that removing that barrier might go some way to making their service more appealing and balance out the requirements on dev kit security, among other things.

mclem

who is asking for these NES games to get the 3D makeover
WHO

Balloon Fight is the NES game; Balloon Kid is the GB sequel. It's got a little bit more depth than the original, but it's hardly revolutionary.

I assume it's a straight VC release, not a 3D Classics version.

StayDead

In my personal opinion it's pretty awesome. The previous episodes are avaliable as DSiWare but I didn't really worry about them, I'll probably get them after playing this one though. It's a puzzle platformer that relies on timing, speed and also precision to do it's puzzles. There's one I just can't do. Think the flip galaxy on Mario Galaxy but where the platforms are flipping constantly and overlap, if you hit one of the platforms as it switches to it and you happen to have a pixel of your character in the box where it appears you die. Requires such good timing to do and I'm close to doing it, just can't finish it up.

You can skip levels though so if you find a level hard you can skip it and go back later. There's online leaderboards once you finish the game (although I haven't finished yet) and it's challenging enough so just what I needed. ^^ It certainly does require a lot of logical thinking since the majority of puzzles require you to seriously think about how to set yourself up to finish, one wrong enemy platform thing pushed the wrong way into a put and it's a retry for you. :p

I will be amazed if the US sits there with a Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games demo weeks before the host nation (UK) does. I mean that's just ridiculous. They get that demo on Thursday by the way.

She mentions me in that tweet too. ♥

Punch-Out!! is coming next week to 3DS VC in Japan - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/vc/tacj/index.html

Is it a 3D Classic or just a NES game -- the famicom is pictured... bit weird, but I'll take it if it releases over here.

I'd rather have teleroboxer though

LSmpz.jpg

GeekyDad

Finally got around to getting Pushmo last night. That game is absurdly adorable. Surprised by how quickly the puzzles get interesting. You can tell right away it's an IS game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is that the first non-ambassador VC game?

That's the first non-Ambassador Famicom VC game to be released in Japan, yes.

The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. are the other Famicom games available on the Japanese eShop right now.

Nintendo Download for January 26, 2012
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - JAN. 26, 2012

Jan. 26, 2012
This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop
Mutant Mudds™ - Armed with a heavy-duty water cannon, Max must vanquish his nemeses, the Mutant Mudds, by blasting and hovering his way across the soiled landscape to seek out mysterious Water Sprites. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™ (demo version) - Join Mario and Sonic in the world's greatest sporting competition. With more than 50 playable events, the Olympic Games have never been so much fun. This demo is now available on Nintendo eShop. (For Nintendo 3DS)

WiiWare™
Newton vs. The Horde - Scientists are being attacked by a horde of vicious monsters. Use physics to squash, skewer and explode those nasty creatures and do whatever you can to help our scientist friends survive. (Wii™)

Also new this week:
• Lola's Alphabet Train (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™)
• Flipper 2: Flush the Goldfish (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/downloadw4Yq21e6.php.

Davey Cakes

I haven't kept up with Mutant Mudds. The last time I read or saw anything about the game was when it was a 3D platformer. The transformation is rather astonishing and I'm happy that the concept was able to survive thanks to a change in direction. Reminds me of Earthbound 64->Mother 3 GBA.

Top Bottom