• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

I wonder if we're ever getting the English versions of Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Monster World IV at this point.

Sega, sigh.

The original press release (from May 2011) said "Late 2011/Early 2012," so I guess they're still within their stated dates.

The original announcement (March 2011) gave no eta. I can't find a reference to your press release, but at E3 (June 2011) Sega confirmed "summer" and NOA/NOE's release lists reflected that.

1st Announcement: http://andriasang.com/comu6s/sega_vc_3ds_lineup/

E3 Schedule: http://i.joystiq.com/2011/06/12/3ds-release-schedule-outs-new-eshop-games-upcoming-dates/

freoleo29

Just wondering here but where the game gear games really any good?
and say if there were some good ones are they likely to even be put on the eshop?
i've had no experience with anything game gear so that's why i am asking.

Just wondering here but where the game gear games really any good? and say if there were some good ones are they likely to even be put on the eshop? i've had no experience with anything game gear so that's why i am asking.

There were some pretty good ones.
Like Surf Ninjas!

Balb

and say if there were some good ones are they likely to even be put on the eshop?
i've had no experience with anything game gear so that's why i am asking.

There are some decent ones but in my opinion none come from Sega. Unfortunately, I'm sure that most if not all of the Game Gear VC games will be the Sega published ones.

freoleo29

There are some decent ones but in my opinion none come from Sega. Unfortunately, I'm sure that most if not all of the Game Gear VC games will be the Sega published ones.

Thats what i was thinking,
Lets just hope they decide to put out some great games.
I would love to try out some Game gear as ive never really experienced much sega,
did they announce an estimate of the prices?

jgkspsx

There are some really good games, though not as many as on GB and nothing as good as Tetris or Link's Awakening or DK94.

I liked all of the Sonic 2D platform games (even 2!) at least as much as the GB Mario titles, but they were mostly Master System conversions so the viewport was tiny and cheap deaths were everywhere. (Save states will help a lot.)

Tails's Adventure is an obvious Metroid clone, but I really like it. There are vehicles and a huge range of powerups. I've never understood why this game is so obscure and gets so little respect. Probably because everybody hates Tails.

Ax Battler is an odd Gargoyle's Quest/Zelda II clone.

GLoc is a great Afterburner quasi-sequel.

Defenders of Oasis and Shining Force Sword of Hajya are good RPGs.

The Shinobi games are awesome.

Streets of Rage are fairly satisfying.

Ristar is a fairly capable conversion.

Some licensed games are surprisingly strong, specifically Disney platformers and Spiderman vs. The Sinister Six.

Also, Pengo!!

Puzzle games are pretty weak, racing games are somewhat laughable, but there's not exactly a drought of those on 3DS. And then there's Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter Animation... *cough*

There are some cool-looking titles I've never played in this video.

Sega went out their way to license 3rd party stuff from Capcom, IREM, Activision, Interplay, Falcom, D4E, Sunsoft, NCS, Namco Bandai, Paon, Factor 5 and others on Wii VC, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same on 3DS?

Oh yeah, the remaining Wii VC stuff (WBML, MW4, Super Hang On) is still technically on schedule. So are Capcom's Genesis games iirc (Strider, SSF2 w/online play).
I was poking around the ESRB site and noticed that Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Wonder Boy in Monster World now say "Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3." Of course, I don't know if they hadn't said that previously, but it was nice to see regardless (and nice to see that even though not specified in that press release, an XBLA release is likely).

freoleo29

There are some really good games, though not as many as on GB and nothing as good as Tetris or Link's Awakening or DK94.

I liked all of the Sonic 2D platform games (even 2!) at least as much as the GB Mario titles, but they were mostly Master System conversions so the viewport was tiny and cheap deaths were everywhere. (Save states will help a lot.)

Tails's Adventure is an obvious Metroid clone, but I really like it. There are vehicles and a huge range of powerups. I've never understood why this game is so obscure and gets so little respect. Probably because everybody hates Tails.

Ax Battler is an odd Gargoyle's Quest/Zelda II clone.

GLoc is a great Afterburner quasi-sequel.

Defenders of Oasis and Shining Force Sword of Hajya are good RPGs.

The Shinobi games are awesome.

Streets of Rage are fairly satisfying.

Ristar is a fairly capable conversion.

Some licensed games are surprisingly strong, specifically Disney platformers and Spiderman vs. The Sinister Six.

Also, Pengo!!

Puzzle games are pretty weak, racing games are somewhat laughable, but there's not exactly a drought of those on 3DS. And then there's Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter Animation... *cough*

There are some cool-looking titles I've never played in this video.

Well okay then,
lets hope that most of those games get released because i would love to try some of them out

I was poking around the ESRB site and noticed that Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Wonder Boy in Monster World now say "Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3." Of course, I don't know if they hadn't said that previously, but it was nice to see regardless (and nice to see that even though not specified in that press release, an XBLA release is likely).

They were officially confirmed for PSN before, but XBLA has always just been rumored or leaked (OLFC had MW4 for 360 originally iirc). On those systems they'll be Backboned presumably (Sega Vintage Collection).

Hmm...sounds a bit shorter than I was expecting.

Very much depends on skill level. The first 20 "levels" go by a LOT faster than the next 20.

I'd say 4-5 hours is probably the range you're looking at overall, unless you're amasing or horrible. Way more bang for the buck than MSF imo.

Very much depends on skill level. The first 20 "levels" go by a LOT faster than the next 20.

I'd say 4-5 hours is probably the range you're looking at overall, unless you're amasing or horrible. Way more bang for the buck than MSF imo.

That's not really more bang for your buck than MSF, MSF is 3 bucks cheaper and takes about the same amount of time to complete 100%.

That's not really more bang for your buck than MSF, MSF is 3 bucks cheaper and takes about the same amount of time to complete 100%.
Different values for 100% though (collection/completion vs time trialing). There's much less "repeat" playtime in MM vs MSF.

For pure content VVVVVV still tops both though.

jgkspsx

I dunno. I'd rather play MM than MSF any day. MSF's fun-to-frustration ratio is much lower for me. Maybe I've gotten too used to enjoying video games when I play them instead of cursing.

Just to add to the list of good Game Gear games, I always loved Baku Baku Animal. Granted, the Saturn version was considerably better in most regards (being more or less arcade-perfect), but I thought the added dialog between levels that the Game Gear version had added a good deal of charm, and honestly missed them when I got the Saturn version off of eBay years later.

If Capcom never releases Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo for the 3DS, then this'd be a remarkably good replacement, seeing as they play very similarly (Baku Baku doesn't have the large Power Gem mechanic, garbage that falls into a stage can be used immediately instead of after a delay, and I believe the pattern of said garbage is purely random, but the base gameplay is otherwise the same).

jgkspsx

Also Baku Baku Animal. I can't believe I forgot that.

Columns, on the other hand, has aged really poorly. I used to love it, but I just don't enjoy it anymore.

You forgot the best Game Gear title of them all: Magical Puzzle Popils!
I never played it, but that was one of the games that looked awesome in the video I posted. Will definitely buy if they ever release it on VC.

EDIT: Apparently, the launch lineup is: Sonic Triple Trouble (Sonic & Tails 2), Sonic Drift 2, Shinobi, Dragon Crystal, and Columns. I would recommend Shinobi and Triple Trouble. I hated Dragon Crystal back when, but I might appreciate it more today. (I thought RPGs weren't real games at the time.)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The 3D effect in Heroes of Ruin is really great :eek:
The game itself looks uninspired to me, but the 3D ...great.

qq more

Yep. The Game Gear Sonic games has issues in regards to the resolution. Their Master System counterparts are better for that reason alone.

Unfortunately, Triple Trouble aka the best 8-bit Sonic was never on the Master System :(

Sonic Blast (outside of Brazil I think?) never had a Master System counterpart too, but that game was terrible.

I got another $20 3DS card for my birthday and am mulling over what to get next.

I have Mighty Switch Force and VVVVVV so far and will probably get Mutant Mudds.

What's everybody else enjoying (or awaiting)?

donny2112

SNES VC. Didn't buy on Wii VC what I already owned (except Super Metroid), but having portable LttP, Mario World, etc. would be worth it to me. It's what I keep putting on the Club Nintendo surveys on VC, too. SNES VC!

Lijik

What's everybody else enjoying

Pushmo is a must have, its the eshop's killer app. I really need to get back into it!

I also really enjoyed FreakyForms, its my most played eshop game. Personally I love coming up with weird characters in the game and then trying to explore with them. The actual game part is pretty weak, but the creation aspect keeps me coming back. Your mileage may vary.

Theres also some great stuff in the GB VC/3D Classics line.
(or awaiting)?
Im looking forward to Sakura Samurai, Rolling Western, Thruspace 2, and Jett Rocket.

I got another $20 3DS card for my birthday and am mulling over what to get next.

I have Mighty Switch Force and VVVVVV so far and will probably get Mutant Mudds.

Why do you not have Pushmo? Get it now.

Also, Sakura Samurai looks amazing. I cannot wait for it.

Tunavi

Banned

Pushmo starts out slowly, but it clicks at a certain point where you just love it.

Kirby's adventure 3D is an experience you won't find anywhere else.

And super mario land 2

Glass Joe

Wait, so Japan's 3DS VC released the Famicom Punch-Out? I'm guessing if you buy it for Wii, you can't use it on 3DS. Or am I jumping the gun by assuming? Then is Nintendo going to expect me to buy it all over again for the Wii U Virtual Console as well?

Minor complaint, I guess (I just won't buy it again) but I think the Virtual Console could really get a new life if the games were yours to use on any available Nintendo format and it would also be an incentive to pick up hardware like the Wii U and 3DS. Or maybe I'm just cheap. Perhaps I shouldn't whine, as I have no interest in ordinary Game Boy games at all, making the current US VC rather boring.

Top Bottom