• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

wsippel

Banned
Is this new? I've never gotten a weekly notification for new eshop games and have long complained that its something Nintendo should do.

Nintendo is definitely doing more for 3rd parties on the 3ds but if 30,000 LTD sales is a solid expectation for what I think is likely to be a top tier eshop game, then that's a pretty poor showing.

I hope we get numbers for eshop games in the future. I'm very curious to know how Freaky Forms, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force and others have sold.
I don't think it's new. I remember getting notifications for Zen Pinball 3D, Mighty Switch Force, Pullblox, the useless Eurosport thing and Mailbox.

watershed

Banned
I don't think it's new. I remember getting notifications for Zen Pinball 3D, Mighty Switch Force, Pullblox, the useless Eurosport thing and Mailbox.

This might be a region thing. I'm in NA and I definitely got a spotpass notice for swapnote 2 days after it came out but I've never gotten a spotpass notice for the weekly eshop updates.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo is definitely doing more for 3rd parties on the 3ds but if 30,000 LTD sales is a solid expectation for what I think is likely to be a top tier eshop game, then that's a pretty poor showing.

I think that number was in reference to retail DS sales, not digital eShop sales.

Celine

Not to disrespect Renegade Kid ( Jools is a cool guy ) but I'm not sure how you can think Mutant Mudds can be a top tier game ( sale-wise ) on the service.

watershed

Banned
Not to disrespect Renegade Kid ( Jools is a cool guy ) but I'm not sure how you can think Mutant Mudds can be a top tier game ( sale-wise ) on the service.

I mean quality-wise. The games not out yet so its hard to judge but I see it in the same vein as MSF, VVVVV, Freaky Forms, and Pushmo or shantae dsiware and the artstyle dsiware series. To me that's the top tier of eshop games and I see Mutant Mudds fitting in nicely with those.

In his blog Jools referenced "historical data" (which I'm assuming is data of 3rd party games on Nintendo download services or something like that) to come up with his 30K sales estimate. To me that's a pretty poor number for what looks like a top tier eshop game.

Truth101

Banned
I mean quality-wise. The games not out yet so its hard to judge but I see it in the same vein as MSF, VVVVV, Freaky Forms, and Pushmo or shantae dsiware and the artstyle dsiware series. To me that's the top tier of eshop games and I see Mutant Mudds fitting in nicely with those.

In his blog Jools referenced "historical data" (which I'm assuming is data of 3rd party games on Nintendo download services or something like that) to come up with his 30K sales estimate. To me that's a pretty poor number for what looks like a top tier eshop game.
If Nintendo had a magical method to insure sales of titles then why do you think games like Xenoblade & TLS have such a difficult road ahead?

watershed

Banned
If Nintendo had a magical method to insure sales of titles then why do you think games like Xenoblade & TLS have such a difficult road ahead?
I'm pretty sure I didn't mention anything about a magical method. Nintendo has historically had a lot of trouble getting their userbase to make use of their online features. The 3ds now has a multi-million userbase and 30k for LTD sales for what looks to be one of the better games on the eshop seems like a very small number compared to the install base.

And I wonder how much of that is the result of apathy on the part of 3ds users towards the 3ds eshop or its online features in general. I'd be really interested to see some numbers for how many users have connected to the eshop, the number of downloads for the free apps, sales numbers, how many views Nintendo show 3d gets, etc. I'm sure 3rd parties have access to figures like that and take them into account when deciding the budget, scope, and price of eshop titles.

Shiggy

Mutant Mudds is probably one of the smaller titles when it comes to sales, not saying that 3DSWare is doing big numbers.

Truth101

Banned
I'm pretty sure I didn't mention anything about a magical method. Nintendo has historically had a lot of trouble getting their userbase to make use of their online features. The 3ds now has a multi-million userbase and 30k for LTD sales for what looks to be one of the better games on the eshop seems like a very small number compared to the install base.

And I wonder how much of that is the result of apathy on the part of 3ds users towards the 3ds eshop or its online features in general. I'd be really interested to see some numbers for how many users have connected to the eshop, the number of downloads for the free apps, sales numbers, how many views Nintendo show 3d gets, etc. I'm sure 3rd parties have access to figures like that and take them into account when deciding the budget, scope, and price of eshop titles.
Your missing my point, or I didn't make it clear enough.

There are two markets digital and retail.

Take the retail market, say Nintendo is publishing some game for some company. They give it advertising ect.. The game sells around 50k.

Take the digital market, rather than publish the game for the company Nintendo gives it a main slot on the e-shop and pushes notifications of the game through spotpass. The game sells around 50k.

Now, the question you have to ask. Is the game limited by the install base, the advertising? Or is the game limited by its appeal to the audience of the system?

Though more could be done on the digital front such as an app that stores demos and Nintendo could push download notifications to that app letting you know there is a demo ect...

@MUWANdo

Banned

Read the blog again - the 30k number was based on the sales figures of non-licensed retail DS games, it wasn't supposed to be a reflection on the eShop.

watershed

Banned
Read the blog again - the 30k number was based on the sales figures of non-licensed retail DS games, it wasn't supposed to be a reflection on the eShop.
Its a little confusing but I'm not sure about that because he makes the distinction between selling the game at 40 dollars at retail and DD. He then takes the 30k figure and applies different prices to it to figure different break even points. With this hypothetical he uses the price points of 10, 5, and 1 dollar, none of which are realistic for retail.

M3d10n

Mutant Mudds trailer has been in the "coming soon" section for quite a while now and it's in the section headlines. I'm sure it'll show up in a Nintendo 3D Show shortly after release too.

Also, this is Renegade Kid's first 3DS game. Their historical data is probably Wii and DSi and while the eShop is far from perfect, it's a quantum leap above the DSi and Wii stores in that there's actually a reason to go there other than buying stuff due to the free stuff and video streams.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mutant Mudds trailer has been in the "coming soon" section for quite a while now and it's in the section headlines. I'm sure it'll show up in a Nintendo 3D Show shortly after release too.

Also, this is Renegade Kid's first 3DS game. Their historical data is probably Wii and DSi and while the eShop is far from perfect, it's a quantum leap above the DSi and Wii stores in that there's actually a reason to go there other than buying stuff due to the free stuff and video streams.
I was about to suggest that the 30K figure is most likely dsiware-derived, as the eshop has not been up long enough that any of the decent titles on it could be considered done-for. I mean, if you kept a tab on the eshop popularity report, you'd see that the decent games there don't just vanish within a month or so. Not to mention there's been several recurrent entries in the charts from dsiware yesteryears.

IrishNinja

sigh, nintendo. sigh.

seriously! just got this thing, and the eshop looks nice to start with, but they really oughta have a steady flow of content. this feels like early PSN, or uh, current PSN sometimes.

There is no way we'll know the 4 games that will be rotated in on Club Nintendo as downloads before the 10th will we?

Also I'm jealous of Nintendo EU offering that free Kid Icarus download.

ah, so they're gonna cycle more titles up for club nintendo once Xevious runs out? think ill wait on those!

and yeah, i dont get why we aren't having Kid Icarus over here, kinda salty about that.

GeekyDad

Actually, didn't they release a game called Face Karts, or something to that effect?

In any case, I think the eShop, and digital distribution in general, might be just the platform for Renegade Kid, and it surprises me they waited this long to test those waters. I think Mutant Mudds has a chance to do well on eShop, though they'll surely want to expand their scope, considering Nintendo's policies for returns on downloadable games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Actually, didn't they release a game called Face Karts, or something to that effect?

Yeah, Face Racers, and they worked on (are still working on?) an action-RPG based on some kids' franchise, or social game, or something... Planet Smashers, maybe? I forget.

Suzzopher

Prince of Persia has been rated by Pegi for the eShop in Europe. I'm guessing this is a Game Boy game?

Edit: It has also been rated for Wii. I'd welcome the Super Nintendo version on Virtual Console.

Since I was investing the remainder of my Wii Points (a few things I couldn't afford sadly) I noticed a random Wii Shop fact. It appears the "titles you've download" section does state if there is an updated version of that title even if you have the title on your SD card. If only I had known this when there was that with that person copying over a fridge load at a time to check :(

The downside is you can't download the updated version direct to SD card you have to download to system menu first...the things we do to manage fridges.

Shiggy

Since I was investing the remainder of my Wii Points (a few things I couldn't afford sadly) I noticed a random Wii Shop fact. It appears the "titles you've download" section does state if there is an updated version of that title even if you have the title on your SD card. If only I had known this when there was that with that person copying over a fridge load at a time to check :(

The downside is you can't download the updated version direct to SD card you have to download to system menu first...the things we do to manage fridges.

Can't you choose whether to download it to the Wii or to the SD card?

I have a question about the Virtual Console for the 3DS. Is it likely to get to the same levels as the VC on the Wii? Or are we going to be stuck with just GB and GBC games?

I have a question about the Virtual Console for the 3DS. Is it likely to get to the same levels as the VC on the Wii? Or are we going to be stuck with just GB and GBC games?

Considering they're already releasing NES games (in Japan) and previously announced Game Gear ones are coming, I think there's a chance we will see more retro consoles supported.

They're going to be adding GBA, Game Gear, NeoGeo and NES games at the very least in the near future.

Lijik

No we don't. You're assuming they're coming.

The company that put a SMB 1 rom onto a GBA cartridge and charged 30 bucks for it, isn't going to sell a bunch of rom dumps on an eshop they've already made?

Come on dude. Its incredibly reasonable to assume they're gonna come at some point.

Roto13

The company that put a SMB 1 rom onto a GBA cartridge and charged 30 bucks for it, isn't going to sell a bunch of rom dumps on an eshop they've already made?

Come on dude. Its incredibly reasonable to assume they're gonna come at some point.

It's reasonable to think they will. But it's unreasonable to act like we know that for a fact.

zigg

It's reasonable to think they will. But it's unreasonable to act like we know that for a fact.
Indeed. Speculation gets tossed around as fact far too often in these circles... pretty soon it becomes fact, and then people start whining when it doesn't happen.

Downloaded Game and Watch Gallery for GB tonight, great little comp for only 2.99, I love the updated Octopus game. I had $8 in my wallet so was tempted to pick up VVVVVV but decided to wait until it gets its bug/s fixed (after I read about the broken flip mode). But at least I have 5 bucks to sit on until something else comes along. Unreal how it's been months with nothing on Wii VC.

zigg

BTW seems that Mutant Mudd got a really positive review on the last Nintendo Power issue.
I'll have to see that... I've yet to see anything about Mudds that makes me want it since the videos started coming out. (I liked the original screens...)

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I got impatient and looked up today's update details elsewhere. The most exciting news being Zen Pinball 3D is due out in North America January 12th.

"
Nintendo 3DS Download Software

Samurai Sword Destiny (UFO Interactive, $5.99) — A side-scrolling slasher with a Japanese bent, your heroine Akane must defeat all in her path to rescue her brother, making use of upgrades along the way. Whether it can compare to Nintendo's upcoming Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword is another matter, but we'll be the judge of its quality in an upcoming review.
WiiWare

Zombii Attack (Gamers Digital, 500pts) — A game so old we actually took it off our list of WiiWare games coming soon, Zombii Attack refused to die and is finally on WiiWare. An arcade-style shooter, we'll see if it was worth the wait in our upcoming review.
DSiWare

Quick Fill Q (Agetec Inc., 200pts) — Developed by Silver Star Japan, responsible for Dotman and Rabi Laby among others, you must roll the spherical Q to fill up gaps, apparently. Our review will surely fill gaps in your knowledge when it's published soon.

3 Heroes — Crystal Soul (CIRCLE Entertainment, 500pts) — Winning the award for Most Imaginative Names Ever, you play the Crystal Champion who must protect the kingdom Crystennia in a strategy-puzzle mix. CIRCLE has mixed form so we'll see how this shapes up in a full review soon.
"

GeekyDad

Samurai Sword Destiny (UFO Interactive, $5.99) — A side-scrolling slasher with a Japanese bent, your heroine Akane must defeat all in her path to rescue her brother, making use of upgrades along the way. Whether it can compare to Nintendo's upcoming Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword is another matter, but we'll be the judge of its quality in an upcoming review.

Well, it's UFO, so there's a strong chance it will suck beyond belief. That being said, the two games can't really be compared, in spite of them both having to do with samurai. The Nintendo game seems more like a Punch Out-type deal; whereas this game looks like a very sparse beat'em-up -- a simplified Muramasa if you will.

bryehn

So wait, how do I get 3DC: Kid Icarus? Is it a pre-order bonus or something? Because I have no interest in the sequel.

Top Bottom