• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

Roto13

Sucks that nintendo is much more interested in shovelware wiiware crap then the VC :(

Nintendo doesn't actually have to make any of the WiiWare crap.

When was the last time something really worthwhile came out on WiiWare? I don't think I've bought any WiiWare games since Fluidity, and it was ages since I bought a WiiWare game before that.

The 3DS eShop had a pretty amazing December but I haven't even considered buying anything on the Wii Shop since like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI or whichever of those two came out later. I don't remember.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

When was the last time something really worthwhile came out on WiiWare? I don't think I've bought any WiiWare games since Fluidity, and it was ages since I bought a WiiWare game before that.

The 3DS eShop had a pretty amazing December but I haven't even considered buying anything on the Wii Shop since like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI or whichever of those two came out later. I don't remember.
You missed MotoHeroz?

wsippel

Banned
Maybe Nintendo found a security issue, a possible bug or something like that and is stealthily updating everything? Or maybe to make them compatible with new OS features that are meant to be rolled in the future?

Maybe the updates are currently "hidden" because Nintendo could be planning to add automatic software updating to the OS in the near future.
Or maybe automatic updating is already there, but the games need to be updated manually to support the feature? Probably the best explanation for why pretty much everything was updated within a couple of weeks after 3.0.0 hit.

Last good Wiiware game to come out was Escape Vektor. Other good Wiiware games to come out this year include Fast Racing League, Bit Trip Flux and Liight. Motoherozzz is trash.

Why is that? Since a few gaffers seem to disagree with you.

I liked Trials 2 since the course layouts made sense and it was easy enough to tell exactly how your bike had to be positioned in order to pass each obstacle. But in Motoheroz they went overboard with random oddly shaped terrain features which you had to approach from EXACTLY the right angle (which was impossible to do consistently due to the poorly implemented digital controls) in order to finish the courses fast enough, which made the game a complete chore to play.

Shiggy

Last good Wiiware game to come out was Escape Vektor. Other good Wiiware games to come out this year include Fast Racing League, Bit Trip Flux and Liight. Motoherozzz is trash.

Based on the demo, I actually agree. Motoheroz feels a bit cheap and like a clone of those flash games that are free.

And those titles are from last year :p

And I'm currently playing Fluidity/Hydroventure, it's probably the best Wii game I've played in some time.

I never played Fluidity even though I want to. I hope they eventually bring it to the eShop. I don't want to buy Wiiware stuff anymore.

I don't think that they will, even though getting rid of the tilt controls wouldn't be that bad.

I disagree, the game wouldn't work nearly as well without tilt. It's a moot point though since 3DS can still do tilt (although it's a little awkward since you're also tilting the screen that the game is displayed on).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Warning to anybody thinking of watching the trailer for Samurai Sword Destiny on the eshop, the 3d is poorly encoded so make sure the 3d is off. Painful to watch the video with 3d on.

I dunno about the video, but the game itself plays well in 3D.

Trip World has really great graphics!
It's crazy just how much the Game Boy shit on the NES in terms of power.
Going back to 'bits' if the NES was 8-bit and the SNES 16-bit then what was the Game Boy?

Does anyone have issues with sleep downloads? Trying to update some of my apps/games while in sleep mode but none of them will start. eShop is closed, and I go back to the Home menu before closing my 3DS. I even tried to restart the system. Nothing works =/

Edit: Nevermind. Guess it took a while to startup.

Shiggy

I disagree, the game wouldn't work nearly as well without tilt. It's a moot point though since 3DS can still do tilt (although it's a little awkward since you're also tilting the screen that the game is displayed on).

Why exactly? I think using the shoulder buttons on the 3DS would work quite well.

Why exactly? I think using the shoulder buttons on the 3DS would work quite well.

The entire thing is designed around tilt, there are entire sections that wouldn't function in the same way with buttons because tilting works differently than pressing buttons. For instance, there are a few sections where you have to hold the wiimote perfectly still to prevent yourself from falling off a narrow platform as it rises, so with button controls you could get past those parts by simply doing nothing, which would defeat the entire purpose which is to test your ability to hold the controller perfectly still. Other sections force you to tilt the Wiimote at varying angles to keep yourself from fallowing off a narrow platform as it moves along a predetermined path, and those would become much more difficult without the analog precision of tilt controls. Also, your proposal wouldn't work at all since once you unlock the gas form you need to tilt the Wiimote forward and backwards in order to move up and down.

Celine

Trip World has really great graphics!
It's crazy just how much the Game Boy shit on the NES in terms of power.
Going back to 'bits' if the NES was 8-bit and the SNES 16-bit then what was the Game Boy?
Always though the 'bits' were related to the CPU and thus quite a stupid way to categorize a console power.

GB CPU run at more than double than NES and had quadruple the RAM.
Not surprising if you remember that Famicom came out in 1983 while GB in 1989.

Still I wouldn't say that GB shit on NES ( mostly because of the use of mappers and PPU for the latter ).

Speaking of Trip World it strike me how the thing that resemble a butterfly in the first level seems it is animated stretching/manipulating the sprite but that can't be the case right?
Also I was really impressed by the clouds ( seems they are spites randomly generated and not a scrolling background ... ) and the pillar in the second boss chamber ( very well done shading ).

Indeed in this game the end isn't much regarded, the menu to select the stages ( all of them ) and save point to where start from is available from the beginning lol ( with the sound test yay! ).

I bought the Samurai game.

I'll post some impressions when I'm not on Secondapps.

I'll say this. The game is pretty difficult but a bit shallow. The 3D implementation is pretty great. It pops out.

Never knew about Trip World, just watched some videos on YouTube and I want it as an import eshop title in the U.S. NOW. Kinda reminds me of Ufouria.

M3d10n

Does anyone have issues with sleep downloads? Trying to update some of my apps/games while in sleep mode but none of them will start. eShop is closed, and I go back to the Home menu before closing my 3DS. I even tried to restart the system. Nothing works =/

Edit: Nevermind. Guess it took a while to startup.

The 3DS knows you're looking at it and is too shy to download unless you look away.

hitmon

Thinking about making another digital purchase. If you had to make a choice between the following games what would it be? I haven't played any of these games but they all seem interesting.

Mighty Switch Force, 3d Classics Kirby, Samurai Sword Destiny or Links Awakening DX?

Thanks in advance.

Thinking about making another digital purchase. If you had to make a choice between the following games what would it be? I haven't played any of these games but they all seem interesting.

Mighty Switch Force, 3d Classics Kirby, Samurai Sword Destiny or Links Awakening DX?

Thanks in advance.
Mighty Switch Force is great not very long... If you like bettering times/scores then you might find it quite replayable though.

As I've played Links Awakening a million times and can't stand the noise NES and GB era games make, I'd go with MSF personally. Have you already got Pushmo / Pullblox I take it?

Truth101

Banned

Thanks in advance.
Link's Awakening!

hitmon

Mighty Switch Force is great not very long... If you like bettering times/scores then you might find it quite replayable though.

As I've played Links Awakening a million times and can't stand the noise NES and GB era games make, I'd go with MSF personally. Have you already got Pushmo / Pullblox I take it?

Yep, Pushmo was my first purchase. One of the factors that got me to get the 3DS.

Mighty Switch Force is 16 levels, and it is basically puzzle platforming.. you've gotta gather up all the cutesy female convicts and then head for the exit, and for the first 15 levels you control whether certain blocks appear in the background or foreground with the A button or trigger buttons.

If you're standing in front of a normal block when you bring it to the foreground you die... You can also kill enemies this way. Some blocks you CAN stand in front of and they will propel you in one of four directions indicated. Then there are blocks that you can't pass through, but you can shoot through, and blocks you can destroy with firepower. Some enemies act as bombs, exploding when you shoot them, these factor into puzzles too.

The last level takes the manual switch ability away from you, making it timed and therefore like the beat rhythm levels in Mario 3D land or Mario galaxy. It's quite a ruthless level too!

It's a good, lovely looking, traditionally animated game, and very clever in places, its just a little on the short side. Only buy if you can deal with that.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I'll hold out for Sakura Samurai. Plus, the Mutant Mudds review was published in the latest issue of NP (they gave it a "recommended"), so I'm guessing it's not too far from being released.

As an aside, they gave Resident Evil Revelations a 9. Looking forward to that game.

Celine

Never knew about Trip World, just watched some videos on YouTube and I want it as an import eshop title in the U.S. NOW. Kinda reminds me of Ufouria.
Indeed, the music especially made me think of Ufouria although composers are different.

Completed today, the wall falling apart ( and the smoke before it ) impressed me too.

BalrogTheMaster

Neo Member
Yeah, I'll hold out for Sakura Samurai. Plus, the Mutant Mudds review was published in the latest issue of NP (they gave it a "recommended"), so I'm guessing it's not too far from being released.

As an aside, they gave Resident Evil Revelations a 9. Looking forward to that game.

Agreed, there's soooo much stuff coming out! 3D Classics: Kid Icarus, Zen Pinball, Mutant Mudds, Nightsky, Sakura Samurai, Dillon's Rolling Western...the list goes on :)

jgkspsx

Have you ever played Link's Awakening before? If not, don't even consider anything else. If so... Well, I'd still buy it over the others.

MSF is OK, but feels a bit empty. (Why do all of Wayforward's games have such shitty production values for menus and such? I guess it's better to put resources into graphics and gameplay than menus, but do they have to be so ugly and tacky?)

Roto13

Thanks in advance.

Link's Awakening, unless you've played it, in which case the correct option is secret option number 5: Pushmo.

watershed

Banned

GeekyDad

There are two new trailers for Mutant Mudds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vzMGYpXZ0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcPwikRKPLM

I'm glad to see more variety in the enemy and level design. For a while I thought the game looked pretty bland. Still not sure if I'm willing to pay $10 for this yet. One remaining problem is that the main character looks like he moves really slow. I'm not a big fan of slow platforming.

Hmm...looks great to me, man. Maybe you were looking at that ice level and thinking it was slow. The kid seems to slide around on that ice in the second video. Of course, I was never a big Sonic fan (though I still play and enjoy the games), so perhaps the speed is just more to my liking.

I'm really happy for those guys, though. As much as I've tried to support their efforts in the past, they've yet to do anything that has truly satisfied me. The Dementium games and Moon were close, but not quite there for me. This game, however, looks like something that really works for them. I think they may have found their niche.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There are two new trailers for Mutant Mudds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vzMGYpXZ0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcPwikRKPLM

I'm glad to see more variety in the enemy and level design. For a while I thought the game looked pretty bland. Still not sure if I'm willing to pay $10 for this yet. One remaining problem is that the main character looks like he moves really slow. I'm not a big fan of slow platforming.

Is the 10 buck price point confirmed ?

watershed

Banned
Me neither. Was one of my few gripes with Poshmo.

I didn't mind the slow character speed in pushmo because its much more a puzzle game than a platformer. I think if he was faster I probably would have fallen from high places a lot more often.

Hmm...looks great to me, man. Maybe you were looking at that ice level and thinking it was slow. The kid seems to slide around on that ice in the second video. Of course, I was never a big Sonic fan (though I still play and enjoy the games), so perhaps the speed is just more to my liking.

I'm really happy for those guys, though. As much as I've tried to support their efforts in the past, they've yet to do anything that has truly satisfied me. The Dementium games and Moon were close, but not quite there for me. This game, however, looks like something that really works for them. I think they may have found their niche.

Its just the main character's walking speed looks slow to me, most notably he is clearly walking not running and I prefer to run in platformers. Everything else looks good so far but I hope the walking speed doesn't make the game itself feel tedious.

Edit:
Is the 10 buck price point confirmed ?
No, I'm just taking that from what Jools Watsham said in his blog. I think he said 10 is most likely but it might be a little higher or lower.

I didn't mind the slow character speed in pushmo because its much more a puzzle game than a platformer. I think if he was faster I probably would have fallen from high places a lot more often.

Its just the main character's walking speed looks slow to me, most notably he is clearly walking not running and I prefer to run in platformers. Everything else looks good so far but I hope the walking speed doesn't make the game itself feel tedious.

Edit:

No, I'm just taking that from what Jools Watsham said in his blog. I think he said 10 is most likely but it might be a little higher or lower.

Meh, I'll probably buy it at 10 but if it's any higher than that then I'm out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Next week in the Americas... (The list could be missing VC releases)

7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

• Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios | $6.99) Upcoming (01/12)

Wii | WiiWare

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

And some upcoming EU releases.

vYU92.png

Wii | WiiWare

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• 40-in-1 Explosive Megamix (Nordcurrent | 800 Points | €8.00 | £7.20) Upcoming (01/19)
  • Doodle Fit (Gamelion Studios | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (01/12)
  • Make Up & Style (Cypronia | 500 Points | €5.00 | £4.50) Upcoming (01/12)

Next week in the Americas... (The list could be missing VC releases)

7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software

• Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios | $6.99) Upcoming (01/12)

Wii | WiiWare

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

And some upcoming EU releases.

vYU92.png

Wii | WiiWare

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

Why is Nintendo putting out two different pinball games in the same week? How idiotic.

Top Bottom