• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Eh... not a huge pinball fan so I think I'll pass.

I'm more hyped about what games go up for your Club Nintendo points anyways!

Here's a link to some 3D Virtual Boy images that you can view directly from your 3DS web browser, if like me you're too lazy to download the rar file and take the SD card out of the 3DS and figure out which folder you have to extract the mpo files to. (Just ignore the girly pics and scroll to the bottom, then tap the image you want to view and tap the mpo button from the 3DS browser.)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
nice, thanks man.

i wish zen pinball had a demo. oh yeah, 1 more day till new titles on club nintendo, woooo! i guess it'd make sense if one was Kid Icarus since the work's already done.

Zen Pinball is fucking GREAT.
Great value for money, great port, fantastic 3D. If you end up getting it just come over the (now serving as OT) Zen Pinball [3DS] This Fall - thread and share your friend code for highscore challenges

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Here's a link to some 3D Virtual Boy images that you can view directly from your 3DS web browser, if like me you're too lazy to download the rar file and take the SD card out of the 3DS and figure out which folder you have to extract the mpo files to. (Just ignore the girly pics and scroll to the bottom, then tap the image you want to view and tap the mpo button from the 3DS browser.)

An even easier way to view the Virtual Boy screens:

chart

(Press L or R from the 3DS dashboard --> Press the QR button on the touchscreen --> Scan the QR code above)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Man, the VirtualBoy was so far ahead of its time it's friggin tragic.

/salutes Gunpei

M3d10n

chart

(Press L or R from the 3DS dashboard --> Press the QR button on the touchscreen --> Scan the QR code above)

What's interesting about these is that the red color seems to avoid crosstalk completely, even if all backgrounds are pitch black. These games would work perfectly on the 3DS and I hope Nintendo adds them to VC someday.

But thinking again, it might not be that easy. The hardware seems around to the GBA in terms of power but the CPU is clocked higher and is not ARM (so the 3DS would need to emulate it completely).

tsab

I am pretty sure they could make it a 3D Classic or write an emulator.
Wii has a decent virtual boy emulator, I think they can manage.
Although they weren't enough games for Nintendo to make VC VirtualBoy worthwhile.
but it's too bad that we may not experience, maybe the best, handheld Wario platform

M3d10n

I am pretty sure they could make it a 3D Classic or write an emulator.
Wii has a decent virtual boy emulator, I think they can manage.
Although they weren't enough games for Nintendo to make VC VirtualBoy worthwhile.
but it's too bad that we may not experience, maybe the best, handheld Wario platform

They probably burned the source code for these games alongside Gunpei Yokoi's body. Also, the Wii's 700+MHz CPU is surely faster than the 3DS 267MHz one (even if it's using both cores).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I knew about the 3DS games (Xevious and Mario vs. DK) but not the Wii ones. Hot diggity.

I got real lucky in that I had a gigantic pile of expiring points and wanted all four of those games.

Watch it be a bunch of stuff I've aleady bought this month!

Ranger X

There are two new trailers for Mutant Mudds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vzMGYpXZ0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcPwikRKPLM

I'm glad to see more variety in the enemy and level design. For a while I thought the game looked pretty bland. Still not sure if I'm willing to pay $10 for this yet. One remaining problem is that the main character looks like he moves really slow. I'm not a big fan of slow platforming.

DO WANT!
pardon my ignorance but is there a release date?

M3d10n

Why would they need the source code?

To avoid emulating the Virtual Boy for a couple of games.

I derped and forgot to add that the 3DS CPUs might not be fast enough for proper Virtual Boy emulation. Even if they are, writing the emulator might need more resources than actually porting the games and might not be cost effective.

(Nintendo also probably wants people to forget the thing ever existed too).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So... The new NA Club Nintendo rewards are here!

They're good until Jan. 31.

7f5TM.png

Club Nintendo Rewards

• Dr. Mario Online Rx (Nintendo | WiiWare | 100 Points)
  • Dr. Mario Express (Nintendo | DSiWare | 150 Points)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo | Wii Virtual Console | 150 Points)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo | 3DS Virtual Console | 100 Points)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

chart

Kinda off topic, but the pop out on those pics are really pronounced and really good looking (especially the wario title screen). Just imagine if the 3ds had a 3d camera with a field of vision above the screen. it could detect finger location and allow interaction. there'd be no physical feed back, but it'd still be pretty awesome.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Donkey Kong and Excitebike both got updates on the 3DS, although I have no idea if anything changed.

It seems like nearly every Nintendo published 3DS downloadable title has been getting a quiet "update" over the past few weeks... I wonder what is up...

BooJoh

Does the "Updates" section of the eShop simply not work? When I click it, it immediately presents me with a popup saying there are no updates for any of my titles, but if I go into the "Your Downloads" section there are 6 different titles it lists available updates for.

Also, I assume I can safely use "Download Later" for my updates without worrying about my saves being messed up?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Does the "Updates" section of the eShop simply not work?
Also, I assume I can safely use "Download Later" for my updates without worrying about my saves being messed up?
I've never had the "Update" panel inform me of anything, and I'm curious as to what the issue is.

My save files have all been fine after updating either directly or via Spotpass.

BooJoh

Oh cool, I just queued up my remaining updates for download later, and it sets the icons to flashing and faded, then you can highlight them and check how much is downloaded... I never noticed that you could actually check progress on downloads other than opening the system to see if they're done yet.

It would be nice if the Updates menu would give a list of your titles that have updates and allow you to quickly queue up to 10 of them for SpotPass download without having to go through the "checkout" process for each one again.

Mafro

I wonder when the Netflix app will be coming to the UK? I thought it would have been this week since every other device got it, but seems not.

tsab

Donkey Kong and Excitebike both got updates on the 3DS, although I have no idea if anything changed.

It seems like nearly every Nintendo published 3DS downloadable title has been getting a quiet "update" over the past few weeks... I wonder what is up...

Some 3rd parties too. Zen pinball If I remember correctly. Probably some silent security fixes (compiled with a newer SDK maybe?).

GeekyDad

7f5TM.png

Club Nintendo Rewards

• The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo | Wii Virtual Console | 150 Points)

Can't really complain about those, though I'd gladly trade out the GB Kirby game for the 3D Classic.

M3d10n

Does the "Updates" section of the eShop simply not work? When I click it, it immediately presents me with a popup saying there are no updates for any of my titles, but if I go into the "Your Downloads" section there are 6 different titles it lists available updates for.

Nintendo has been pushing these stealth updates for a while now. I believe they don't need/want existing users to download them ASAP, thus why they are hidden in the download history.

I wonder when the Netflix app will be coming to the UK? I thought it would have been this week since every other device got it, but seems not.

It's up to Netflix themselves. Netflix has been available in Brazil for quite a while now but the 3DS app is still IP-locked to US-only.

seady

Yes! Now I have reason to play Majora's Mask.

7f5TM.png

Club Nintendo Rewards

zigg

Nintendo has been pushing these stealth updates for a while now. I believe they don't need/want existing users to download them ASAP, thus why they are hidden in the download history.
I know I'm certainly not booking it over there, heh.

Yes! Now I have reason to play Majora's Mask.
I should be happy that someone else is going to play Majora's Mask but I'm too busy being sad that it took you so long. ;-)

There are two new trailers for Mutant Mudds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vzMGYpXZ0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcPwikRKPLM

I'm glad to see more variety in the enemy and level design. For a while I thought the game looked pretty bland. Still not sure if I'm willing to pay $10 for this yet. One remaining problem is that the main character looks like he moves really slow. I'm not a big fan of slow platforming.

Oh god, I love this kind of soundtracks!

Davey Cakes

The Club Nintendo choices are pretty good. I already have Majora's Mask and Dr. Mario Online Rx, though. I'd get Kirby but the game is already really cheap on the 3DS Virtual Console, so I'd rather save my coins for games that cost more. I probably would've gone for the Kirby's Adventure 3D and pretty much ANY other Zelda game.

Roto13

I thought for a second it was Kirby's Adventure instead of Kirby's Dream Land, and was disappointed enough when it turned out to be Dream Land that I bought Kirby's Adventure. :p

It looks nicer than the 3D trailer made it seem.

zigg

I thought for a second it was Kirby's Adventure instead of Kirby's Dream Land, and was disappointed enough when it turned out to be Dream Land that I bought Kirby's Adventure. :p
Dream Land is pretty great on its own merits, though.

Top Bottom