• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

tsab

a 3ds friendly site with 3d ingame screenshot from games
img.php

M3d10n

I just saw the entry for Zen Pinball in the US eShop. Looks good in the trailer! Also, the 3D screenshots have some antialiasing on them... can someone with the European version confirm if the game actually runs like that or are those bullshots?

@MUWANdo

Banned
So GAF, Bionic Commando or Blaster Master: Enemy Below?

Hmm... tough choice. Both remixes of great NES games, both fun in their own right.

Bionic Commando is a better fit for the smaller dimensions of the GB screen, and it's a hell of a lot easier than Blaster Master. The music also made a better transition to the GB than Blaster Master's did. The overhead stages from the NES game are gone, but really, who's gonna miss those?

Blaster Master is in colour, unlike Bionic Commando, and there's a lot more playtime to be had, too, as there are a bunch of new, optional upgrades in addition to the ones from the original game. It's also one of the rarer/more expensive GBC games around, so the VC version is a steal compared to even a loose cart. That being said, it's even harder than the original (and there's no grenade glitch this time!) and the cramped screen can be a pain in the arse at times.

BowieZ

Banned
Thought of an interesting idea which will obv. never happen: what if you hated a game you downloaded and could 'return' it for refunded credit for the eStore as long as your Activity Log showed that your total play time was under a set limit?

rpmurphy

Thought of an interesting idea which will obv. never happen: what if you hated a game you downloaded and could 'return' it for refunded credit for the eStore as long as your Activity Log showed that your total play time was under a set limit?
Nice idea, but I don't think it's impossible. Renting digital downloads (and pay extra to keep) is something that could definitely be explored as a payment model.

Tunavi

Banned
Will never happen. We just need Demos from NOA

I just saw the entry for Zen Pinball in the US eShop. Looks good in the trailer! Also, the 3D screenshots have some antialiasing on them... can someone with the European version confirm if the game actually runs like that or are those bullshots?
It looks really good. I'm not tech savvy but there are less jaggies even in 3D compared with other games, so it seems to have some form of AA going on. It also has a great 3D effect and a smooth framerate.

I know it's been said, but it needs to be repeated until Nintendo does it -- Virtual Boy VC emulation is indeed badly needed.

It's a great version of the game. I use to play it a lot on the GB. Kind of difficult, though.

Difficult? No, Bionic Commando for the GB is probably the easiest of the three main classic Bionic Commando games... (that is, NES, GB, GBC)

I guess it would be challenging, particularly for people not used to Bionic Commando games, but it's got many fewer levels than the GBC game with a similar or lower difficulty level, and has saving (via passwords), making it much easier to deal with than the NES game.

I had it back in the day , its much better than the GBC game IMO.

I disagree, it's great, but I like the GBC game even more. I've always really loved the GBC Bionic Commando: Elite Forces though... outstanding game. Anyone who likes Bionic Commando should certainly play the GB one as well however, it's a good game.

as i never got a chance to play it: what games specifically would you guys want from there?

Wario Land is a legitimately great game as I remember it. Teleroboxer and Pinball were fun. Mario Tennis is redundant at this point.

I never got a chance to play Mario Clash, but I'd like to.

as i never got a chance to play it: what games specifically would you guys want from there?

The system's entire library is only 22 games, including 8 titles only released in Japan, so just release all of them, right? :)

The VB's best game, and top system seller, is definitely Virtual Boy Wario Land. It's too short, but incredible, and is the only sequel, gameplay-wise, to the first Wario Land for the GB -- it plays very much like it, which is a very good thing. The dual-plane thing works well too, and the 3d effects are well done.

Apart from that, other first party titles include the pretty good pinball game Galactic Pinball, the boxing game Teleroboxer (good boxing game, uses one d-pad for each hand), Nintendo's only sequel to the original Mario Bros. arcade game, Mario Clash (with two planes instead of the original one), Nester's Funky Bowling, 3D Tetris (it's Welltris, pretty much, whether you like it depends on what you think of that game... I've never been a fan)... most of them are good. The top third party titles include Red Alarm (VB Star Fox, essentially, with wireframe 3d. Good game.), Vertical Force (a great shmup from Hudson with two-plane gameplay and one of the system's best games), Jack Bros. (topdown action game from Atlus, not the best but it's decent), and Panic Bomber (the only US release of the game, bizarrely enough; why this was released here on VB but not SNES I have no idea). Several of the import-only titles are good too -- there's another bowling game with better 3d effects than Nintendo's one, Virtual Bowling (HIGH price for a cart copy though!), a first person horror-themed shooting/maze game, Insmouse no Yakata, Space Squash (3d ball-and-paddle game, essentially... good stuff), and a 3d version of Space Invaders (the cart version of this costs hundreds of dollars...), among others. There's a standard version of Tetris too (Japan-only, but this one was a common import), V-Tetris, for people who don't like the 3d variety.

As for the other games... Baseball and Golf are about as they sound. Waterworld is apparently terrible but I haven't played it, and it's licensed anyway so no way would it be in the VC. As for the other Japan-only titles, one's a Gundam-themed strategy game (SD Gundam Dimension War), one a fishing game (Virtual Fishing), and the last an apparently very buggy puzzle game (Virtual Lab).

Plus, they could consider, in a better world than ours probably is, releasing a few of the completed but never released first party VB games too, most notably the 3d wireframe racing game Zero Racers (I've wanted to play this game since 1995, still denied...) and the topdown bouncing platform-action titles Bound High and Dragon Hopper. Both use the 3d effect for your character, who jumps up towards you. Bits of Bound High have been seen (there's a video on Youtube I think), but Dragon Hopper, like Zero Racers, is entirely MIA.

Today's releases :

Nintendo 3DS Download Software

Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios, $6.99)

Hip Hop King: Rytmik Edition (Cinemax, 800pts)

101 Pinball World (Selectsoft, 500pts)

Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math: The Case of the Crumbling Cathedral (The Learning Company, 600pts)

Kirby: Right Back At Ya! Volume 1 (available 14th January at 3 p.m. PT) — Kirby's ready for action in part one of this special, two-part 3D episode of Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

Oh Nintendo, why don't you want my money? Put out some VC titles soon please!

GeekyDad

Kirby: Right Back At Ya! Volume 1 (available 14th January at 3 p.m. PT) — Kirby's ready for action in part one of this special, two-part 3D episode of Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

I'm guessing this is for Europe only, since, you know, we don't like Kirby all that much here in the States...

Man, my kids would love this. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Javier

It needs to be noted that the Kirby video is part of Nintendo Video, not a separate download. And yes, it's for the American release.

The European update is crap. Two DSiware titles:

- DoodleFit
- Make Up & Style

Actually enragingly bad. Fuck off NOE.

edit:

DoodleFit looks okay, sort of a mix between Tetris and Polarium or something, but its still a DSiWare only update, and this is still a pants shittingly bad update even if the game is any good.

edit2:

When I say Tetris and Polarium -- I mean: you are given a shape in which you have to fit all of your tetrominos, and you draw them in one by one, a little bit like drawing lines in polarium.

PopfulMail

I'm sure this has been answered before... but when do the updates usually hit in the U.S.? Been waiting to get my hands on Zen for a while now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
WHERE THE F*CK IS THE REVELATIONS DEMO !!!

NoE/NoA - so much fail.

rpmurphy

Isn't that essentially how all those "free" iOS games work?
No. Depending on the developer, they may treat the free version like a demo where they cut out features or a large portion of the game, or they have you buy the game piecemeal to "unlock" everything. Timed trials wouldn't be the same either (although that's what BowieZ is talking about), as a rental system would allow you to complete more of the game if you want to rent a second time, which opens up different strategies for pricing.

It's interesting to note that the Android Market used to allow you to refund a game, no questions asked, up to 24 hours after your purchase. It was later reduced to 15 minutes.

That's not fail, that's incompetence.

The thing thats angering me is that I don't think its incompetence, I think they're deliberately with-holding on us until nearer RE's release date, so when we play it our boners are still fresh enough to lead us directly by the crotch, into the shop, to buy it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, NoE, from everything I've seen I might think that Revelations will the be one true successor to RE4 (which happens to be my most-played game of all time), but I'm not buying Revelations until you release the friggin demo here. Over and out. /nerd rage

M3d10n

Oh? Yesterday I added Zen Pinball to my wish list and now the eShop notified about it right when I opened it, giving me the option to go to the wish list. But the game isn't out yet. Weird.

zigg

So I'm not a huge (video or otherwise) pinball guy, but I love the shit out of Pinball Pulse. Lack of Brian Blessed aside, would I enjoy Zen Pinball?

The thing thats angering me is that I don't think its incompetence, I think they're deliberately with-holding on us until nearer RE's release date, so when we play it our boners are still fresh enough to lead us directly by the crotch, into the shop, to buy it.

Just out of interest, but from my experience with demos on Steam, for example, I'd normally expect to get the demo anywhere from a week or so out from release, right up until - or after - release day.

Is there any reason why we should be expecting demos so much earlier, other than that's how NCL seem to have handled some of theirs?

Roto13

Just out of interest, but from my experience with demos on Steam, for example, I'd normally expect to get the demo anywhere from a week or so out from release, right up until - or after - release day.

Is there any reason why we should be expecting demos so much earlier, other than that's how NCL seem to have handled some of theirs?

Gotta bitch about something.

Well there already is a demo on the Japanese eshop, you know.

Well there already is a demo on the Japanese eshop, you know.

I know - which is why I mentioned NCL. I just wondered - since my experience with demos recently is limited to Steam - whether there was any other reason why people were expecting a demo weeks ahead of release?

Awsome the Kirby Show. Used to love watching that show and its remade in 3D awsome. I hope it comes out as a $2 download like some of those other animations because I'de download it. Hopefully...

I think yeah, the main source of resentment is that Japan has been getting demos and we haven't had one yet. Regional cockblocking doesn't seem right in this global village era.

sfog

Speaking of demos, I'm not sure whether it's a mistake or not, but ALL 50 WiiWare demos that the US Wii Shop has ever posted are now listed again for download.

I know - which is why I mentioned NCL. I just wondered - since my experience with demos recently is limited to Steam - whether there was any other reason why people were expecting a demo weeks ahead of release?
Ah OK, 2 weeks before release isn't so much out of the ordinary I think but then again I don't play too many demos these days.

On XBL and PSN it is common to release demos before a game releases (even though it's not always the case) and Capcom especially had a short habit of releasing demos to their games even months before the game actually came out. That is obviously not what we are expecting here, but it's only natural that people want to try their games before they come out and it should be in any publishers best interest to deliver this pre-release hands-on experience to its customers (except if your game is shitty, but let's just assume this is not the case with Revelations).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Demos come out from a year before the game is released, to months afterward on consoles. PCs as well (more than just steam out there). It's really up to the publishers, there's no rules.
If there's a demo in another region, people kind of expect to be release in other regions as well.

NoA, Capcom
Any demo would do, c'mon. Use the eShop.

BooJoh

Looking forward to Kirby. This will probably be the first time I really wish I could save Nintendo Video content. I used to watch the show until my local stations dropped the Fox Box out of nowhere.

Javier

Looking forward to Kirby. This will probably be the first time I really wish I could save Nintendo Video content. I used to watch the show until my local stations dropped the Fox Box out of nowhere.
I hope they release it later on as a permanent download. I hate that Nintendo Video is IP-locked.

Top Bottom