• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Either I've missed some functionality or Mighty Flip Champs seems to get tough right quick. I'm finding it really hard to work out a strategy for movement when there are 6 screens to flip through and I can only see two of them.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes there are too many pages to keep track of, and the solution is so convoluted that it is impossible or at least very difficult to really observe or deduce the correct path. In these levels, the game becomes more about "do" than "think." But whereas some puzzle games can get away with "do" (Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2), this one can't because you don't know what the fuck you're doing. Flip, go there, flip, go here, flip, etc. There's no sense to it.

All the same, I still find myself enjoying it, and it is definitely worth a try.

Somnid

Cosmonaut X said:
Updated the OP again. Hopefully I've covered everything, but let me know if I haven't. The ESRB updates will come soon...

The regional release/annoucement lists are about a month out of date. Specifically Super Mario Kart, Final Fantasy II, Altered Beast and Golden Axe should be added, and a few others should be moved around like Phantasy Star.

Also, you should probably start cleaning up all the released titles from the ESRB and other miscellaneous announcement sections since they've been up for about a month. Nobody really needs to know Tower Toppler was rated 2 months ago.

Somnid said:
The regional release/annoucement lists are about a month out of date. Specifically Super Mario Kart, Final Fantasy II, Altered Beast and Golden Axe should be added, and a few others should be moved around like Phantasy Star.

Also, you should probably start cleaning up all the released titles from the ESRB and other miscellaneous announcement sections since they've been up for about a month. Nobody really needs to know Tower Toppler was rated 2 months ago.

Yeah, it needs sorted through. I'll get to it after the update tomorrow :)

Mdk7

I need your advice guys!
My girlfriend gave me a DSi as a gift for my birthday ( i turned 26 today!), what should i buy with the 1000 free points?
I don't know what to choose between Art Style: Aquia, Pictobits and WarioWare...
Help me GAF!

loosus

Banned
When are they gonna start putting more less-popular games on the virtual console? Most people have already played the ones they are putting out, for Christ's sake.

Mdk7 said:
I need your advice guys!
My girlfriend gave me a DSi as a gift for my birthday ( i turned 26 today!), what should i buy with the 1000 free points?
I don't know what to choose between Art Style: Aquia, Pictobits and WarioWare...
Help me GAF!

Bird and Beans
Paper Airplane Chase

The above two games are perfect for those moments in between stuff when you just want to play something. Polished, colorful, fun. And only 200 pts. each!

Then, with those two, you'll 600 pts. left.

I'd go with Pictobits.

OH, AND DEAR GOD, IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS, AND THESE FRIENDS AREN'T ASSHOLES, OR ARE ASSHOLES BUT LIKE GOOFING AROUND, BUY MIXED MESSAGES.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mdk7 said:
I need your advice guys!
Help me GAF!
the two art style games. do it.

and keep the girlfriend.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Do we know if Mario Vs. DK is a full-length game aside from the level creation or JUST the level creation?

Plinko said:
Do we know if Mario Vs. DK is a full-length game aside from the level creation or JUST the level creation?
You know, Mario vs. DK 2 actually had a level creation mode. I hate how Nintendo is treating this like it's a brand new thing.

evilromero said:
You know, Mario vs. DK 2 actually had a level creation mode. I hate how Nintendo is treating this like it's a brand new thing.

That's true. There were some pretty impressive levels on the list to download.

I loved the art style in March of the Minis, but I really found that most of the levels were not at all challenging unless you were aiming for a high score. Otherwise, you could always pause all but one mini and control them one at a time. I much preferred the puzzle oriented nature of the previous game, as well as the more chaotic nature of the minis. That said, I downloaded some insane levels that were extremely challenging.

Barrett2

evilromero said:

It will be hilarious if this release is actually stripped of content compared to the M vs. DK game.

..... but it's got a new hat!!!
/MalibuStacy

Mdk7

blu said:
the two art style games. do it.

and keep the girlfriend.
:lol
Yeah i love her!
I'll probably go with these 2, the paper plane one isn't really my kind of game and WarioWare is the first WarioWare that doesn't actually convince me that much.

jrricky

Banned
I would like to suggest a new feature for these monthly threads. Why dont the OP make the games' names clickable so we can watch a video of the game or something?

EDIT:OH and why isnt the OP tracking the releases of the Nintendo Channel vids and demos. that would be cool to know if I should log on or not.

LM4sure

Banned
jrricky said:
I would like to suggest a new feature for these monthly threads. Why dont the OP make the games' names clickable so we can watch a video of the game or something?

EDIT:OH and why isnt the OP tracking the releases of the Nintendo Channel vids and demos. that would be cool to know if I should log on or not.

That's a lot of work for the OP. Why don't you do it? Or better yet, why doesn't GAF have a wiki post like other forums?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder what is taking so long with the update this week.

jrricky said:

Ouch!

The amount of time I - or anyone picking up the OP later - would need to spend finding and adding video footage of all the titles in the OP would make maintaining it a far more taxing proposition than it is right now. I’d be happy to link to sites that provide video footage, or reviews etc., and if I come across vids I always try and add them, but as for tracking down, checking and linking footage for games in the OP as a matter of course… sorry, not going to happen.

JSnake

June 8, 2009

Nintendo Download

March, Fight and Fish Your Way to World Domination

With this week’s additions to the Nintendo DSi Shop™ and Wii™ Shop Channel, fun truly comes in all shapes and sizes. A new Mario vs. Donkey Kong™ title on Nintendo DSiWare™ features miniature versions of the world’s most famous video game icon, while a pair of fresh WiiWare™ releases invite players to wield a fishing rod or storm a sprawling battlefield. For king-sized thrills, the latest Virtual Console™ offering lets players don the boots of one of the world’s biggest warriors.

Nintendo DSiWare

Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Minis March Again!
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Thanks to the runaway success of Super Mini Mario World, Mario™ and Pauline have expanded their toy-filled theme park and invited everyone to the opening celebration – everyone, that is, except Donkey Kong, who was too late to get in. Donkey Kong decides to crash the party and kidnaps Pauline along the way. Can Mario and his Mini Marios rescue Pauline from Donkey Kong’s clutches yet again? Make sure to explore the Construction Zone, where you’ll find all the tools needed to make your own original levels. You can then share your masterpieces or download levels created by others, via a local wireless connection or with broadband Internet access and Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.

WiiWare

Swords & Soldiers
Publisher: Ronimo Games
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Rewrite history as you take control of the brutal Vikings, the devious Aztecs or the crafty Chinese in their global quest to win the favor of the Gods. Swords & Soldiers is a side-scrolling strategy game that lets you control an entire army and wield devastating magical abilities. Demolish your enemy’s castle at the end of these two-dimensional battlefields and lead your troops to victory. Featuring hours of single-player campaign game play and challenging skirmishes, the game also offers frantic local multiplayer matches that let you take the fight to your friends. If that still isn’t enough for you, there are several unlockable challenge modes that will test your abilities even further.

Fish’em All!™
Publisher: Abylight
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Here’s an arcade game with real coin-op flavor. Jack and Walter are two old fishermen in a fantasy world. They’ve found places where crazy fish leap out of the water all day long – perfect for fishing. It’s a shame the other strange creatures aren’t going to make things easy. In this surreal action game, you’ll experience the excitement of the great arcade classics on your Wii console. Hold on tight to your controller and fish ’em all, featuring nine colorful scenarios, three game modes (Arcade, Challenge and Fishtris) and one- or two-player action.

Virtual Console

Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf
Original platform: Super NES™
Publisher: KOEI
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: In Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf, unite the scattered Mongol tribes under your banner and conquer the world as Genghis Khan. Choose from two riveting scenarios: Mongolia and all of Eurasia. It’s up to you to take your fledgling empire from humble beginnings on the Mongolian plateau and expand your borders across the land. As your rivals look enviously upon your domain, you must struggle to weather the assaults of your opponents and carve out a living for your people. Engage in diplomacy to forge alliances and organize your troops to defend the prosperity of your empire. If you can manage to spread the borders of your empire to the corners of the world, all will pay homage to your might.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Neo Samus

Thanks J Snake.

Darn it! Where's My Super Mario Kart! Oh well at least we know it will come out eventually....thank and SSB.

Plinko

JSnake said:
June 8, 2009

Nintendo DSiWare

Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Minis March Again!
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Thanks to the runaway success of Super Mini Mario World, Mario™ and Pauline have expanded their toy-filled theme park and invited everyone to the opening celebration – everyone, that is, except Donkey Kong, who was too late to get in. Donkey Kong decides to crash the party and kidnaps Pauline along the way. Can Mario and his Mini Marios rescue Pauline from Donkey Kong’s clutches yet again? Make sure to explore the Construction Zone, where you’ll find all the tools needed to make your own original levels. You can then share your masterpieces or download levels created by others, via a local wireless connection or with broadband Internet access and Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.

I still can't tell if there's a full-length game here. Anybody know for sure?

RedBoot

Plinko said:
I still can't tell if there's a full-length game here. Anybody know for sure?

I can't tell either. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's just the level editor from March of the Minis with maybe a small single player portion, but I dunno.

JSnake

RedBoot said:
I can't tell either. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's just the level editor from March of the Minis with maybe a small single player portion, but I dunno.

"Make sure to." The wording implies the construction zone is optional.

JSnake said:
"Make sure to." The wording implies the construction zone is optional.
My guess is that the construction zone is a short tutorial that educates the player on the various objects and types of puzzles.

Dragmire

Omg, that's so annoying. I have 700 Nintendo DSi points and I was looking forward to Minis March Again. I even tried to beat Mighty Flip Champs before it came out (got 4 levels left). :p Eh, well I'll probably pick up Swords and Soldiers instead. Didn't know that was coming out this week.

alanias

Definitely looking for more infor on the M vs. DK game. If it's just the level editor I won't get too much out of it... sinc e I am lazy. :lol

Jaruru

RedBoot said:

I think the same way as you do.
mainly on the price point, 800 pts and they're so not giving you a full length game like the 2nd Mario vs. DonkeyKong.

a stripped down version like...
Brain Age --> DSiWare
Clubhouse --> DSiWare
Warioware --> DSiWare

makes sense by the trend, but I hope I'm wrong >__<

You know what would be cool? If Nintendo added Arcade games to the Virtual Console selection. They could designate a separate section for them and call it the "Virtual Console Arcade" or something. Too bad that's never going to happen.

Jaruru said:
I think the same way as you do.
mainly on the price point, 800 pts and they're so not giving you a full length game like the 2nd Mario vs. DonkeyKong.

a stripped down version like...
Brain Age --> DSiWare
Clubhouse --> DSiWare
Warioware --> DSiWare

makes sense by the trend, but I hope I'm wrong >__<
For the most part is is just a express title. But I saw spinies, new Piranhas, and a couple new backgrounds in pr screens so theres some new stuff.

Anywayz: I'll be getting it. I am planning to share 4 levels a week for 8 weeks (World 1-1 to World 8-4 lol) so the first few will be really easy.

Something like this:
World x-1 - Tuesday
World x-2: Wednsday
World x-3: Thursday
World x-4: Friday

And then start again the next week.

I'm not usually good with level editors but I'll add everyone else who gets it. :D

nincompoop said:
You know what would be cool? If Nintendo added Arcade games to the Virtual Console selection. They could designate a separate section for them and call it the "Virtual Console Arcade" or something. Too bad that's never going to happen.

I honestly don't know why they even bothered putting that up. It's obvious that they have zero interest in putting games on it. Oh sure plenty of stuff out and on the way in Japan but none of that matters. Japan's up to 18 games now and we're still screwing around with what? 4?

Then again if I were to list the console games that could(and should) be on the service we may as well go back to the original thread which was just bitching all day everyday over the lack of decent VC support.

Maybe I'll just stick to visiting these threads once a month and trick my mind into thinking: "four games a month? That's pretty good!" instead of "One game a week? That's bullshit!"

Top Bottom