• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Tizoc

Pardon the bump but aside from the X432R emulator, what are emulators that can remove the jaggies and make the DS games look smoother and cleaner, etc?

Pardon the bump but aside from the X432R emulator, what are emulators that can remove the jaggies and make the DS games look smoother and cleaner, etc?

Now that this is bumped I also wouldn't mind a recommendation. I've never emulated any of my DS games, but how well does touch screen stuff work, and what's latency like?

Would I want to play Rhythm Heaven like this?

The most recent nightly releases of DeSmuME have unlimited resolutions, and you can filter the textures so they kinda look like N64 games now. They also have 24 bit color!

Jezan

OK, this thread is eye-opening, lol.

Can someone explain (or link me to the post/site) how this change is accomplished? I mean, some games change generations!

kidnemo

Neo Member
I legit love this thread, thank you so much for the gifs and captures!

Ive never emulated ds stuff, but own a huge collection of carts and hatdware.

This thread makes me wanna play around with emulating some stuff.

OK, this thread is eye-opening, lol.

Can someone explain (or link me to the post/site) how this change is accomplished? I mean, some games change generations!

Easy. The DS had a garbage resolution(192p, lower than the snes) and zero texture filtering capabilities. It did however have quite a bit of RAM (4MB, 16MB for dsi) and could store decently large textures even if they weren't filtered.

In short, the system was heavily held back by it's screen and final ability to output higher resolution. Emulators can get around this, allowing arbitrary resolutions and the effect is quite marked.

Holy nearest neighbour filtering Batman.

Identical to real hardware. Honestly, most times you wouldn't want to filter them because they won't line up correctly. Textures designed on systems without filtering tend to be more "random" to break up the edges and prevent you from easily seeing a pattern in things like floors and walls. If you filter these they often make things look like they are built of blocks (which they are, but again that defeats the purpose).

Top Bottom