• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Krammy

dat butthole clarity

Zoom! Enhance!

Has anyone answered this? The only thing keeping me from trying to homebrew my Wii U is knowing if they run well

If I remember correctly from the original thread, it's a case of YMMV. Some games can pull it off if they don't have a lot of 3D assets, while more asset heavy games struggle. I'd definitely consider it a case of great for screenshots, poor for gameplay.

Krammy

I want to add that during gameplay, Solatorobo runs at an incredible 60fps. Most 3D games on DS run at 30fps and don't look nearly as good.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
21Jb4pT.gif
mZKv06G.gif

JeTZCX1.gif
RAtbSEp.gif

qJIISZw.gif
WYqLaJK.gif

ttWl3Eo.gif
ygGGqnH.gif

WillyFive

Imagine if DS hardware was available in the 90's back when developers tried to pump as much juice out of things for TV gameplay; what they could have done.

dan2026

So Nintendo have all these emulation options in their emulators but force people to hack their consoles to use them?

That seems sensible.

Psxphile

Krammy
Kills Imgur
(Today, 03:55 PM)

I'm loving all these comparison gifs. I take it most games can be run at full-speed now? Last time I tried to run the emulator it kept crashing unless in software mode. And the few instances I got hardware-accelerated to work, it was slow as hell. Is sound emulation working? EDIT: oh wait nevermind, you already answered that earlier on this same page

Krammy

Krammy
Kills Imgur
(Today, 03:55 PM)

I'm loving all these comparison gifs. I take it most games can be run at full-speed now? Last time I tried to run the emulator it kept crashing unless in software mode. And the few instances I got hardware-accelerated to work, it was slow as hell. Is sound emulation working? EDIT: oh wait nevermind, you already answered that earlier on this same page

Krammy
Bandwidth Killer
(Today, 3:55 PM)

Is what I'm hoping for.

Also, I'm not sure which post you're referring to, but the last one I mentioned was specifically related to the WiiU emulator. As far as PC emulators are concerned, if your rig is powerful enough, it should run just fine. Mine is crap and about 6 years old, so all these games run at about half speed or less, depending on my settings.

OnFire331

All those screenshots without texture filtering :D

I wonder how Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies looks in HD, or Virtue's Last Reward...

Haven't you seen the iOS version of Dual Destinies or the Vita version of VLR? Or is my sarcasm detector broken?

Krammy

A little warning with this one, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was going pretty well until I got into a battle. The battles use this blur effect that absolutely ruins any attempt to turn it into a 256-colour gif, so please note that they don't look nearly as awful as they do here. EDIT: And yes, I could've used a dither style effect on that particular gif set, but I prefer to keep my shots consistent.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
tZAVT5E.gif
LqIaGlG.gif

lkL62H9.gif
PjIgxuj.gif

ub6qcd2.gif
KbOMqSr.gif

d9mLll5.gif
EolKazH.gif

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I really regret not putting more time into Phantasy Star Zero while the NWC servers were still up. Seemed to be a true successor to Phantasy Star Online.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So Nintendo have all these emulation options in their emulators but force people to hack their consoles to use them?

That seems sensible.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. The internal resolution bump likely doesn't work well on all DS titles, so Nintendo turned it off by default instead of only enabling it on the few that do.

If some DS titles looked better than others, customers would be questioning why.

Better to stay consistent, if anything.

Dmax3901

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the current status of HD DS and HD 3DS emulation.

I'm assuming there's still a lot of work remaining for the latter, but is the former fairly doable across the board?

Krammy

Not saying you should post some of these amazing shots in the emulator screenshot thread...

No wait yes I am http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=963952&page=1

Would be awesome if you could spare the time

So like, single screenshots? I could probably whip something nice up for that. If I find time between doing stuff for this thread, I'll get on that.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the current status of HD DS and HD 3DS emulation.

I'm assuming there's still a lot of work remaining for the latter, but is the former fairly doable across the board?

The former is fine if your rig is up to snuff. I mentioned this the last time someone asked, but my PC is about 6-7 years old and wasn't even built to be a gaming PC then, so most of these games run at half speed or less when I play them. I imagine a competently built PC from that time would be able to run these at full speed, and anything made recently will have no issues either.

HD 3DS emulation seems to be a fair ways off, but there were some pictures of Majora's Mask and stuff a couple of pages ago, so it seems to be getting there.

Dmax3901

So like, single screenshots? I could probably whip something nice up for that. If I find time between doing stuff for this thread, I'll get on that.

The former is fine if your rig is up to snuff. I mentioned this the last time someone asked, but my PC is about 6-7 years old and wasn't even built to be a gaming PC then, so most of these games run at half speed or less when I play them. I imagine a competently built PC from that time would be able to run these at full speed, and anything made recently will have no issues either.

HD 3DS emulation seems to be a fair ways off, but there were some pictures of Majora's Mask and stuff a couple of pages ago, so it seems to be getting there.

Cool thanks. It was those MM 3D screens that piqued my interest.

-shadow-

A little warning with this one, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was going pretty well until I got into a battle. The battles use this blur effect that absolutely ruins any attempt to turn it into a 256-colour gif, so please note that they don't look nearly as awful as they do here. EDIT: And yes, I could've used a dither style effect on that particular gif set, but I prefer to keep my shots consistent.

I really loved the look of this game, but the textures are really really rough even on the DS itself. The game does benefit a lot of a higher resolution, but there really needs to be a good filtering option sometime. And yeah, the blur in battles is absolutely terrible! The game looks great, so I really don't get why they decided on that.

Krammy

Avalon Code is a nifty Action RPG that follows a hero chosen by "The Book of Prophecy", to capture events and data of the world before it's destruction, so that the information can be taken into the new world.

Avalon Code
gEUPDCD.gif
h6l91HI.gif

Jr685C6.gif
2X4RaDp.gif

9xVJg90.gif
CnGekl2.gif

MmXOw64.gif
ruOuABW.gif

Avalon Code is a nifty Action RPG that follows a hero chosen by "The Book of Prophecy", to capture events and data of the world before it's destruction, so that the information can be taken into the new world.

Avalon Code

Easily one of my favorite DS games. I'd love to see all four spirits in HD like this, but if you're moving on to other games it's totally fine. :p

Krammy

Easily one of my favorite DS games. I'd love to see all four spirits in HD like this, but if you're moving on to other games it's totally fine. :p

I move at a pretty blistering pace, trying to get 1-2 games done a day, so it's usually not possible to get anything past the first 30 minutes of a game.

With that said, I'd be more than willing to get you some shots or gifs if you can provide a savestate for the emulator I use, DeSmuME, and they're easy enough to activate, such as summoning them in battle.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I attempted to make a 4x Resolution gif. 10+mb later, I was wondering if I'd gone too far? Has science gone too far???

Krammy

^ This is why we have webm!

http://web.archive.org/web/20150611012636/http://a.pomf.se/whuwcv.webm
weird this still works

Unfortunately Imgur doesn't host webm files. Never tried gifv, though. Anyway, they don't auto-load on GAF so maybe a moot point?

If the gif is big enough, which most of mine are, Imgur can output the file as both webm and gifv (simply by changing the URL). Most of the animations I post are outputted as webm's when I upload, but I change the url's to gif so as to not lose quality. I'm not sure if you referring to hosting means something else than what I'm thinking though, so I might be off base.

Unless it's a pretty crazy circumstance, I don't want to use webm. The further loss in quality on top of already losing quality on the gif is too much of tradeoff for me just to get the filesize significantly down. Also, if I'm not mistaken, other places where I post these animations too, such as Tumblr, don't support webm yet.

Krammy

I'm still against the idea, but some blog followers felt that I should switch to diffusion dither for these Nintendo DS shots, as opposed to no dither that I've been using up until now. I'm revisiting Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden and trying that out. The whole fight for quality makes me curious as to why a lossless format hasn't been created yet.

Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
yiJINcm.gif
xD5yiuT.gif

Vd4GkXx.gif
sgDPyU6.gif

dLhmfGi.gif
upkkaDC.gif

gTCKDxJ.gif
gUUEkEe.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If the gif is big enough, which most of mine are, Imgur can output the file as both webm and gifv (simply by changing the URL). Most of the animations I post are outputted as webm's when I upload, but I change the url's to gif so as to not lose quality. I'm not sure if you referring to hosting means something else than what I'm thinking though, so I might be off base.

Unless it's a pretty crazy circumstance, I don't want to use webm. The further loss in quality on top of already losing quality on the gif is too much of tradeoff for me just to get the filesize significantly down. Also, if I'm not mistaken, other places where I post these animations too, such as Tumblr, don't support webm yet.

Methodologically, the way I used to do it when I was doing a bunch of GIF stuff was to record an AVI file. Open that in Virtual Dub and trim it down to the portion I wanted in the gif and export that AVI. Then use FFMPEG to convert the trimmed AVI into a high bitrate WEBM.

If you start with lossless AVI, and end with high bitrate WEBM, there is very little to no quality loss - and you aren't limited to 256 colors.

Here's an example I did with your GIF.

10Mbps, if you're not happy with the quality you could still pump it up way more and it'll still be smaller than the GIF.

Krammy thanks so much for keeping this thread alive, I love it every time it is bumped. I don't even care what games you post, everything is interesting to see, sometimes getting a peek into how the games were put together under the hood texture-wise, model-wise...just really cool.

All these games with secretly hi res models and textures are awesome to see, but I am curious how some bad or lower budget games might look. Could you do some stuff like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, or Deep Labyrinth?

I'm still against the idea, but some blog followers felt that I should switch to diffusion dither for these Nintendo DS shots, as opposed to no dither that I've been using up until now. I'm revisiting Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden and trying that out. The whole fight for quality makes me curious as to why a lossless format hasn't been created yet.

Thanks for all the incredible gifs! Have you tried pattern dithering? Might give the games even more of a PS1 look.

Also, there's APNG (animated PNG) but I think the only browser that supports it anymore is Firefox. It really didn't catch on, and I think the PNG committee rejected it for whatever reason.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks for all the incredible gifs! Have you tried pattern dithering? Might give the games even more of a PS1 look.

Also, there's APNG (animated PNG) but I think the only browser that supports it anymore is Firefox. It really didn't catch on, and I think the PNG committee rejected it for whatever reason.

The file sizes on APNG are fuck-off huge. I've messed with them and it is absolutely not worth it. High bitrate video is much, much better. You can get near lossless at a fraction of the filesize.

Krammy

Nanashi no Game Me was Square-Enix's sequel to their original survival horror title, Nanashi no Game, literally The Nameless Game. It's basically your typical creepypasta in game form. You find a TS Handheld with a haunted cartridge, some ghosts happen, people die, bla bla bla.

Nanashi no Game Me
n7ktG27.gif
1Y2TGw7.gif

TOnjvoB.gif
hbcxDHD.gif

oghkKBo.gif
A2ecViZ.gif

fzdxRBQ.gif
emuPOMC.gif

The game also features sections where you play the haunted cartridges on your TS Handheld.

yhAvvIn.gif
KBz32CH.gif

Tohsaka

So is DeSmuME X432R still the best option for HD rendering, at this point? I was looking through the official DeSmuME forums and it looks like it was implemented in the SVN builds (along with texture filtering, which you can't use at the same time on X432R), but I didn't see any way to enable HD rendering in the mainline version of DeSmuME.

So is DeSmuME X432R still the best option for HD rendering, at this point? I was looking through the official DeSmuME forums and it looks like it was implemented in the SVN builds (along with texture filtering, which you can't use at the same time on X432R), but I didn't see any way to enable HD rendering in the mainline version of DeSmuME.

It might be, but I've had good luck with the Retroarch core for DeSmuME upscaling as well. May be worth trying both out.

mokeyjoe

You don't really need a 'rig'. DS games run great on my phone in HD. (HTC One M8)

Top Bottom