• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Psxphile

oxso76g7wh5g.png

Hm... I guess? Though I really do like the un-filtered texture look, tbqh.

WillyFive

Hm... I guess? Though I really do like the un-filtered texture look, tbqh.

That looks like the same type of filtering that some SNES and NES emulators use (Super Eagle or something), which always looks terrible.

However, it seems that will be the only type of filtering that will be used for a very long while due to the way the emulator is written; so something like bicubic is still out of reach.

Not

Banned
Spirit Tracks and B&W look great. MPH kinda has the exact same graphics as Federation Force, which is sad

Krammy

While playing Metal Max 2: ReLoaded, I was pleasantly surprised to find that bumping up the resolution does wonders for sprite rotation in games. Ted Broiler is looking hella fine at 2x resolution.

tumblr_inline_o5sbsvxXnN1ri065t_540.gif
tumblr_inline_o5sbsvAk4l1ri065t_540.gif

Give me a localized Metal Max game please.

Pokemon B/W/2 get the same treatment in high resolution. The sprites rotate beautifully.

I can't run it on my current computer so I can't capture footage, but battles look really nice in high resolution.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
While playing Metal Max 2: ReLoaded, I was pleasantly surprised to find that bumping up the resolution does wonders for sprite rotation in games. Ted Broiler is looking hella fine at 2x resolution.

Woahhh that is actually a pretty huge improvement. That makes a lot of sense. Super cool!

Krammy

I decided to grab some more Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden comparisons, this time, from the character select screen

WxaixfG.gif
4YcxB4i.gif

f5OMs60.gif
98bxwGx.gif

AOyoj2N.gif
kusbhTg.gif

0ZYuIDS.gif
cWxilxY.gif

Is this able to upscale beyond the initial limit it used to have?

I appreciate all the hard work that goes into development, I'm just wondering what the situation is in that regard :)

Krammy

Is this able to upscale beyond the initial limit it used to have?

I'm not sure what the initial limit was since I've just started working with it, but my year old build can upscale to at least x4 (1024x768), I really can't imagine anyone using more than that though (x2 is my limit).

I'm not sure what the initial limit was since I've just started working with it, but my year old build can upscale to at least x4 (1024x768), I really can't imagine anyone using more than that though (x2 is my limit).

I believe that's the one I was thinking of. I was hoping for up to 4K, but I have no idea what kind of work that would take to implement so I don't want to seem ungrateful for the work that people are putting into it.

Oh... It looks like when the sprites rotate, their pixels stay in the pixel grid of the sprite, which makes it look very nice, IMO.

I kind of have the feeling that this is not true for every game, though. All the graphics a game draws with the DS's 3D GPU is rendered in high resolution using this emulator. However, very likely nothing drawn on the background layers and sprite layers are rendered in a higher resolution. This specific game probably draws the sprites on the sprite layer as opposed to rendering them on the 3D layer with the 3D GPU, and as such, the rotation's resolution remains low, i.e. in line with the sprite's pixel grid.

Contrast to Pokémon, where the 2D sprites and the Pokémon in battles are very likely rendered on the 3D layer, and therefore the rotation and animation of the Pokémon and other things in this emulator won't look so pixel perfect.

Krammy

I should probably confirm before there's any more speculation, but just like the Pokémon games, Metal Max also uses the 3D layer for it's sprites.

I should probably confirm before there's any more speculation, but just like the Pokémon games, Metal Max also uses the 3D layer for it's sprites.

Oh, wait, no, I'm just stupid, lol. The second "after" image didn't load for me so I was just looking at the first "before" image. For some reason I assumed the backgrounds were high res and the sprites were not, and I based my entire post off of that.

Dunno if this is the right place, but I'm breaking down and asking: if I only have a 3DS, is there any way to dump my DS carts for use in DS emulators? I've done a bunch of Google searches and I know there are methods to dump DS games if you own a DS and a flashcart, but I can't seem to find much info on whether these methods also work with a 3DS, and strangely there's next to no interest in using flashcarts to dump games to PC, as opposed to using flashcarts to play games. Nearly every place I find that asks about the 3DS specifically to dump DS games ends with "why not just download a ROM."

It's weird because there are tons of resources on how to dump PSP UMDs, and it was pretty quick to get my entire UMD collection into PPSSPP.

I decided to grab some more Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden comparisons, this time, from the character select screen

WxaixfG.gif
4YcxB4i.gif

f5OMs60.gif
98bxwGx.gif

AOyoj2N.gif
kusbhTg.gif

0ZYuIDS.gif
cWxilxY.gif

If nothing else, it reveals how good the character models and textures were for a system like this. Granted, the only other Dragon Ball game with 3D character models on an equivalent system was the awful GT: Final Bout, but this puts that game to absolute shame.

DonMigs85

Yeah those are really impressive for DS with its strict polygon limit, far better than any PS1 or N64 model, except maybe Chrono Cross.

Eila

Ragnarok DS is similarly improved.The game is using a lot of the MMO's sprites, but since the DS is so low res they looked pretty bad unless you zoomed in.

That Majora's Mask screenshot a page or so back.

I felt legitimately dizzy. So gooood.

Now I need to see Starfox 64 3D, Dead Or Alive Dimensions, and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Nessus

Metroid Prime: Hunters had a great engine. Just wish they'd built a real Metroid with it. The controls, the graphics, even the atmosphere were all there.

Then NTS fell apart after Project HAMMER and they're seemingly not allowed to work on anything but March Of The Minis now.

-shadow-

How come the games don't look this great on Wii U VC?
Because Nintendo doesn't even seem to be able to emulate the DS properly or can't be bothered rendering at 2*.

It would be great if they did 5* resolution (960p) would be great for DS games. But that's all just a fever dream.

That Majora's Mask screenshot a page or so back.

I felt legitimately dizzy. So gooood.

Now I need to see Starfox 64 3D, Dead Or Alive Dimensions, and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

I'd love to see Kid Icarus Uprising.

The DS games look amazing. Would be nice if future VC releases offered similar improvements.

Majora's Mask and Mario 3D World both scale up beautifully with their timeless character model and texture designs (and really well implemented lighting given the complexities of the scenes at hand).

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is an example of when more resolution isn't better - all you get is a horribly upscaled 240p image of 2D assets with a comically out of place high res Mario model - a model which looked better in 240p when it was consistent with the background elements.

Yes, but the games themselves would've been designed for the original hardware. Sometimes games include much higher quality assets despite the platform not being able to take advantage of them, which is why sometimes you get miracles like Final Fantasy Type-0 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on PSP looking way better in emulators. But most of the time, the assets are going to be downsized only to what's necessary to make the game work. At some point, it doesn't matter how much processing power you throw at a game, the source assets will be the limiting factor. The more advanced the original platform, the better the assets will be on average and the higher the ceiling will be for image/rendering quality in future emulators.

This. A lot of the time games targeting modest hardware are designed for its limitations, so in the case of DS games the 3D has been made to look great at 192p.

The games which have higher quality assets look great when upscaled, but otherwise I higher resolution often exposes low poly character models and textures designed to be pin-sharp at 192p. Both of which are compounded when you consider the flat lighting in many a DS game.

As mentioned there are games which do include assets that sing at higher resolutions. In that case a higher resolution can bring out extra detail, but again it depends on whether the end image looks consistent or not. I think a lot of later Wii games made a good fit for this though.

I'd even argue that with 2D content, pixel doubling isn't always a good thing either, since it accentuates each pixel. With 1:1 pixel mapping the gaps between pixels help smooth out pixel art, whereas with pixel doubling, 4 much smaller pixels are making up one individual pixel, so there's no gap between pixels. This is why pixel doubled content (e.g. play a PSP game on Vita) often looks lower res than the original even though it theoretically should look the same.

Krammy

Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light

s5BtOK1.gif
JxxnDpp.gif

gQZf1lg.gif
H5Sf098.gif

yIviYII.gif
FfsfT2q.gif

u5ub40Z.gif
Tz2KMWS.gif

This game was made to look good at it's native resolution, so you don't gain too much from increasing it, but it really hammers home just how beautiful Four Heroes of Light is.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light

s5BtOK1.gif
JxxnDpp.gif

gQZf1lg.gif
H5Sf098.gif

yIviYII.gif
FfsfT2q.gif

u5ub40Z.gif
Tz2KMWS.gif

This game was made to look good at it's native resolution, so you don't gain too much from increasing it, but it really hammers home just how beautiful Four Heroes of Light is.

I think increasing the res gains a LOT. Viewing it at 50% size shows that the style fits at the original tiny res, but the upressed version still looks really clean and lush.

Krammy

I'm the only one keeping this thread alive these days it seems. Here's one of my new favourite bosses, Ragin' Contagion, that I grabbed from Dragon Quest IX's Debug Menu. Stupidly, I forgot to turn Edge Marking on, so they don't have the outlines you'd normally see in-game. Just the plain old models.
5opwmEc.gif
FFIQ7Ek.gif

En5I4mQ.gif
tuvoGRl.gif

This is fucking magic. And I'm not buying any under-spec'd console from Nintendo ever again, specially when it comes to screen resolution. This is the way that at least the 3DS games should have looked like.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Speaking of, how is Four Heroes of Light? I've been meaning to pick it up for ages; looks a bit like a proto-Bravely Default.

Krammy

Grabbed my favourite legacy boss, Psaro. This time with edge marking turned on.

I8oRtTV.gif
60QGCnG.gif

sEMYr9U.gif
CAGTImG.gif

Is the emulator fully playable or still has bugs that I should look out for?

The emulator is fully playable, there's no bugs that I've run into yet, although you can cause graphical glitches by fiddling with the 3D settings (turning off fog, edge marking, etc).

Speaking of, how is Four Heroes of Light? I've been meaning to pick it up for ages; looks a bit like a proto-Bravely Default.

Yeah, it's basically a prototype for Bravely Default. There's a few things that are kind of weird like earning money and the difficulty at the start of the game (I got killed the first time I went out on the field). Those are for another thread though.

naitosan

Those looks amazing in HD. Hope Nintendo plans to patch games to run in HD in Virtual Console on NX. That'd be awesome.

Is emulator the only thing I need to upscale DS/3DS games?

I love this thread! Would be awesome to add something here, from time to time.

Top Bottom