• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DSi LL: Old People Edition

Somnid

dsmoke1986 said:
So I cannot transfer my DSiWare from my DSi to the XL???

That is just plain baffling, and honestly very insulting, as my $40 is just going to dissappear if I pick up the XL.

It's really demotivating in terms of wanting to upgrade as well.

Like i said, make yourself heard. Not buying the system doesn't help if Nintendo doesn't see the reasoning behind it.

Hobbun

Outtrigger888 said:
The touch screen kinda does have a yellow tint, when its a full white screen, but this has been the case since the DS came out. Its a non issue and hardly noticable, and I agree the screens are fantastic. I tried out the brain age games that came pre-loaded and holding the XL sideways felt more comfortable than the DSi.

So why are we getting a yellow tint at all? Is it due to Nintendo being cheap with parts?

I wish I never saw these posts on the yellow tint. I didn't notice it before, but now I know I am going to when I play my XL again. :(

Umm, holy god, the XL is awesome. I am so glad I didn't listen to the ridiculous hyperbolic posts about it being too huge or too pixelated due to the screen size (which is completely wrong and stupid). It instantly makes the smaller screens unplayable and horrid. The stylus is perfection. You'd think by some of the posts on here that it was the size of a fucking Xbox-- it's actually very compact and sleek. Buy one now.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
MomoPufflet said:
Umm, holy god, the XL is awesome. I am so glad I didn't listen to the ridiculous hyperbolic posts about it being too huge or too pixelated due to the screen size (which is completely wrong and stupid).

yeah, people don't seem to realize that you're not meant to hold it up against your fucking face.

Larsen B

MomoPufflet said:
You'd think by some of the posts on here that it was the size of a fucking Xbox-- it's actually very compact and sleek. Buy one now.

No, it's pretty huge! Certainly a noticeable and cumbersome bulge in one's pocket, which may not be to everyone's taste.

But, like I said, it's also the best DS you can buy.

All I have to say is that for myself the XL is godlike. Especially since I have been playing a lot of text heavy games lately and really only play DS games at home. AAI:Miles Edgeworth looks especially amazing on the screens.

frogg609

Mine's supposed to be here today, but UPS hasn't updated it's status since last night. (Still hoping I might get it today, but somehow doubting it).

dsmoke1986 said:

That is just plain baffling, and honestly very insulting, as my $40 is just going to dissappear if I pick up the XL.

This is Nintendo we are talking about. I am still shock I can buy digital download games from them...

dsmoke1986 said:

give them a call. nintendo answers their phones and will help you out...

Rich!

I just bought a DSi XL the other day, knowing full well the 3DS is out within a year.

And I'm real happy with it. The screens are awesome, and I don't get any cramp in my hands unlike with the lite. Playing games on it is superb - even though it's just a bigger form factor, the screens really improve the experience. It'll be great for when I go on holiday and shit.

And when the 3DS does finally come out, I'll just trade in the XL and get (hopefully) a good amount off the new console. Bargain. Just gotta find a copy of Chrono Trigger now.

krae_man said:
I grabbed one too

000_0378.jpg

Woah. What's that console emulating the Super Gameboy on the top right?

They couldn't do dick for me, kept me on hold for 30 minutes to tell me that you can't transfer games between the two...Like no shit...Makes me like my PSPGo even more, I feel like selling the DSi on ebay now...That stuff really pisses me off.

Pyrokai

So I've been looking at getting either the DSi or the DSi XL, but I'm completely on the fence as to which one I should get. I absolutely love the DSi XL (saw it in a display for the first time and thought it was gorgeous....unfortunately it was off and I didn't get to see its screens on), but I still can't decide.

If I'm worried about the games looking too pixelated or "blown-up" or something should I stay away from it and just go for the regular DSi? Are there ANY comparison shots anywhere on the Web showing the same image side by side of a DSi vs. DSi XL screenshot?

Help me, GAF :(

iammeiam

I'm going to be really unhappy if the DSi XL isn't a stealth way for Nintendo to test consumer reaction to a larger handheld in order to launch the 3DS with gigantic screens. While the screen gain from DS Lite to DSi wasn't very noticable, the XL is a huge leap forward and it would be fairly disappointing to have the next generation of handhelds kick off with higher-resolution screens at a DS Lite or DSi size.

I didn't have a problem with the DSi screen size before, but the difference is that dramatic and that awesome; there's just no going back.

Fusebox

Banned
Pyrokai said:
If I'm worried about the games looking too pixelated or "blown-up" or something should I stay away from it and just go for the regular DSi? Are there ANY comparison shots anywhere on the Web showing the same image side by side of a DSi vs. DSi XL screenshot?

Help me, GAF :(

A few posts above...

MomoPufflet said:
Umm, holy god, the XL is awesome. I am so glad I didn't listen to the ridiculous hyperbolic posts about it being too huge or too pixelated due to the screen size (which is completely wrong and stupid). It instantly makes the smaller screens unplayable and horrid. The stylus is perfection. You'd think by some of the posts on here that it was the size of a fucking Xbox-- it's actually very compact and sleek. Buy one now.

Sqorgar

Banned
Larsen B said:
No, it's pretty huge! Certainly a noticeable and cumbersome bulge in one's pocket, which may not be to everyone's taste.
It's about the same size as the original silver DS. It's about a quarter of an inch wider, but isn't as thick and bulky. They weigh roughly the same, but I'd say the XL is slightly lighter. If you carried around a silver DS, the XL is actually slightly easier to lug around. And unlike the silver DS, the XL is all screen, baby.

My one complaint is that it doesn't do GBA games. It's got plenty of room for a GBA slot and the games would look gorgeous on the XL's screen. I can't complain too much, since I have a GBA, GBA SP, GBA Player, DS, and DS Lite to play my GBA games on.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
There is virtually no ghosting on these, and it's magnificent. Give me the option to download GBA games on this through VC, Nintendo!

Teknoman

Dsiware not having any way to be transferred to another system presents problems for future 3DS backwards compatibility...as far as downloads go. Would've upgraded and cut the cost, but dont want to lose my stuff.

whitehawk

Banned
Wait, does the XL also have a Camera?

Since I have a Phat DS, I'm very tempted to upgrade.

edit: oh shit it does... hmm. I never play DS, but I wonder if an upgrade would make me.

edit: oh who am I kidding it would be a waste of money for me. These pictures are just tempting me too much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That screen is epic.

That case is sweet.

I don't play enough DS to get one.

Pyrokai said:
If I'm worried about the games looking too pixelated or "blown-up" or something should I stay away from it and just go for the regular DSi?

Some folks have already eased your concerns there, but let me jump on the pile: that is not an issue. It's beautiful, no pixelated/distorted look at all.

Check out a GameStop, they've got demo units up that compare it to the DS Lite.

MD1032

Neo Member
Fusebox said:
I bought one in Japan that looks a lot like this:

http://www.pvi.cc/product/showproduct.php?id=68&lang=en

Hard case with a soft outer, mines in white to match my white LL. I can fit 4 carts, the new stylus and my USB charger in the back pocket.

Thanx for your time replying!

Well i don't want that kind of cases, because i will not carry any carts and extra stuff [m3i zero wink wink :D ].

I found this case @ amazon.co.uk [brown version] and maybe i will go for it.

Fusebox

Banned
Hehe, that's my M3i Zero cart in the pic on the far left. I like to carry my favourite originals around too though.

At first, it felt like the sensation you get when being a little kid in a massive chair. Today, when I picked up my girlfriends Lite to help her beat down some Elite Four, it felt SO incredibly tiny. Difficult to express.

Definitely love the Extra Large, though.

RobbieNick

Grrrr. I already have a DSi and don't need this. But...the screen is so huge! And the buttons on the DSi are so tiny for my large hands. The tip of my thumb can cover all 4.

GAF, is it worth trading up? I'll lose my few DSiWare game I have, but the only one worth a damn is Art Stlye: Pictobits.

B.K.

I saw a display model today that Gamestop had set up next to a regular DSi. I really liked that screen. It really doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. I might trade in my DS Lite for one in a couple months. I might wait until after E3. I want to see the 3DS first.

RetroEd

I posted some pics in the April purchases thread, but guess they belong here really.

My HORI Compact Pouch arrived from Renchi.com. It has room for the XL, large stylus, and four cards. There's no belt loop or anything on the underside, unlike its DSL/DSi variants, which suits me just fine as I never used them. Normal excellent HORI quality. I've since applied my HORI screen protectors, too. :)

2r5xb87.jpg

104n75s.jpg

hrjuv5.jpg

BikoBiko

RetroEd said:
I posted some pics in the April purchases thread, but guess they belong here really.

My HORI Compact Pouch arrived from Renchi.com. It has room for the XL, large stylus, and four cards. There's no belt loop or anything on the underside, unlike its DSL/DSi variants, which suits me just fine as I never used them. Normal excellent HORI quality. I've since applied my HORI screen protectors, too. :)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2r5xb87.jpg[img]

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/104n75s.jpg[img]

[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/hrjuv5.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
*sigh* I really can't justify buying another DS, but this black/grey one just looks so tempting :lol

jlevel13

RobbieNick said:
And the buttons on the DSi are so tiny for my large hands. The tip of my thumb can cover all 4.

GAF, is it worth trading up? I'll lose my few DSiWare game I have, but the only one worth a damn is Art Stlye: Pictobits.

Buttons and d-pad are exactly the same size, unfortunately. The big screen does make a big difference though.

RobbieNick

jlevel13 said:
Buttons and d-pad are exactly the same size, unfortunately. The big screen does make a big difference though.

In that case, I'll just keep what I got till the 3DS. I can't justify trading in the old one and paying upwards of $100 just to upgrade.

Cheerilee

RobbieNick said:
Grrrr. I already have a DSi and don't need this. But...the screen is so huge! And the buttons on the DSi are so tiny for my large hands. The tip of my thumb can cover all 4.

Your DSi games were lost the moment you paid Nintendo to not own them.

Cheech

dsmoke1986 said:
They couldn't do dick for me, kept me on hold for 30 minutes to tell me that you can't transfer games between the two...Like no shit...Makes me like my PSPGo even more, I feel like selling the DSi on ebay now...That stuff really pisses me off.

Yeah, I got the same deal when I called them after buying a new Wii. They'll only transfer licenses if the original died and you send it back to them.

Nishastra

Banned
Calantus said:
Does the battery on this last a good amount of time?
It's supposed to be a good bit longer than the normal DSi battery life, which is part of why I got it.

I've only had it for a few days and haven't really tested it, but yesterday I was playing DSiWare games on max brightness for about three and a half hours and the battery indicator was only down 1/4th when I stopped.

I'll have to try something more hardware-intensive next time.

Calantus said:
Does the battery on this last a good amount of time?

My girlfriend has put 12 hours into kingdom hearts and her battery indicator is still blue, the game doesnt have much touch screen stuff, but still impressed otherwise

B.K. said:
I believe that the battery actually lasts longer than the regular DSi's.

The XL has a higher capacity battery (I think 1050mAh vs. 840mAh?) but two bigger screens to drive. So the difference is a wash but it should be better or worse depending on brightness settings.

Skilletor

I picked one up. I love the size of the handheld and the screen. Definitely glad I did.

Valkyrie Profile shall be dominated!

Top Bottom