• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DSi LL: Old People Edition

jlevel13

Was playing Geometry Wars on this last night and was pleasantly surprised by how much better it looked and how much more playable it felt.

Tarazet

Is there any DSiWare recommendation thread? I'm thinking of buying one of these but have no idea if there's enough software besides Shantae to merit paying $190+tax. The last thread that I saw is from April last year, which isn't terribly encouraging.

B.K.

I'm thinking of trading in my DS Lite before Gamestop's promo ends. Does anyone have any good pictures of the bronze XL? I've seen the redish one, but I haven't seen the other.

I post a picture of mine up in gaf P/U thread. I really like the bronze color aside from the glossy part is just big figerprints and smudge magnet. It's only look brownish, when you put it next to something that is true black.

eg5xl0.jpg

edit: here is the pic, P/U = pick up thread

Manus

Thinking of getting one of these to play Pokemon HG/SS on. So the large screen doesn't really stretch the image that badly? And by badly I mean if it's really noticeable.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Thinking of getting one of these to play Pokemon HG/SS on. So the large screen doesn't really stretch the image that badly? And by badly I mean if it's really noticeable.

Very overblown. It's not noticeable at all to be honest.

Manus

Alright awesome. I'm excited to pick one up than, I have a trip I'm going on soon and this would be perfect for it.

SquirrelNuckle said:

Once you see the size and brightness of the screen you will find it very difficult to go back to the DSi or previous versions screens. For me it only made all my games look better. Some games I even started over because I had to view them in DSi XL glory. You won't regret the purchase.

I wonder what it'd be like to play Elite Beat Agents on this thing. At the higher difficulties you have to make some pretty fast movements, sometimes go across the screen in a split-second. The game wasn't made with that size in mind so I'm wondering if it's noticeably harder.

Going to get one very soon. Any recommendations as far as accessories go?

I find accessories still kinda lacking for dsiXL. I got one of those starter set from my local store but I didn't like the case that came with it (it's neoprene with zipper, look nice but hard to get the unit in or out). The set is from Power A, and come with extra stylus (big and small), obligatory screen protector, cleaning cloth that is just way too small for XL, nice earphone and car charger.

I found a nice carrying case by PDH (I really like stuff from them) that is perfect for me. I sometimes think I like buying new gadget so I can buy all the accessories...

Does anyone have a white DSi LL that they could take a picture of when it's closed and when it's open?

I've been holding out for the white one to be released in the UK, but that brown one in antiquegamer's picture looks far nicer than I imagined it would be, so if the white one isn't as nice as the DS Lite I might just cave in and buy a brown XL.

So it comes out here in a few days, what is the best carry case around atm? Gonna have to import a Hori or something to get the quality I think (like usual).

Sad I finally have to retire my old reliable one that's been carrying DS, then DS Lite and DSi. Time to retire old friend.

<3

nyong

Banned
This thing might actually make Metroid playable without my hand cramping up. Any FPS, actually. Any impressions of such?

(already has a DSi, waiting for 3DS without very good reason)

JesseZao

I decided to upgrade my Lite to XL for Warioware and haven't regretted it. The only time you notice the stretched resolution is probably in the start up screens. Games look great.

-KRS-

I also got myself a Bronze XL (called Dark Brown here) and I absolutely love it. Granted, I didn't upgrade when the Lite nor the DSi came out. So I was still on my phat and the difference is HUGE. The size difference is not that big between the phat and the XL though, but the screens... God damn :lol

Then I picked up GTA:CW and Chrono Trigger DS and have had a blast playing them.
Now I just need to get screen protectors. Never did that with the phat and there are quite a couple of scratches on it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So just looked on Play-Asia and there is no good cases for this thing on there. Anyone got any recommendations?

Chorazin

I got my Bronze one on Tuesday, and WOW it is awesome. The huge screens make such a massive difference in the experience. I used my DS Lite during the PAX East lines and after a while my eyes were just hating it. I feel like I could stare at this bad boy all day long!

Games look great too, not at all streched out or anything. All that stuff was way overblown.

Man, I'm really interested in the DSi LL, but Nintendo seem intent on giving me just as many reasons NOT to buy it.

1) The colours are AWFUL.
2) The Nintendo 3DS is out next year.
3) It's a little overpriced (I think they should have released the DSi and the LL at the same pricepoint as the Lite, or just a little bit higher).

I mainly want a DSi for the better screen (I've seen it in action, and it's gorgeous), and I want two DS systems so I can transfer Pokemon between my games (I can't believe there's still nothing on the Wii that lets you do this; the N64 and Gamecube had plenty of ways). I don't even care all that much about DSi Ware.

But I'm not sure those two things are reason enough to get one when I consider the downsides (especially the 3DS coming out in less than a year).

Bronze is fine; literally is almost black for most users. Burgundy looks like an old couch, but either way I don't think Nintendo was so ready to put a massive budget behind the US/EU launch that they would switch to new colors.

...and yes, I admit I'm using my DSi mostly for trading between SS/PL now :lol

Boney

Banned
Ok, so I was going to college by bus (as usual) today and on the back of another bus there was an Ad of the DSi XL. Which is really wierd since I live in Chile, and there are no videogames ad. Except for MTV or stuff like that. So seeing a DSi ad on a bus was really note worthy to me.

I guess Nintendo is really pushing Latin America now, I've seen the Pokemon HG/SS ads a few times and now this. Good work Nintendo.

larvi

I'm fine with the bronze but not the $190 price tag even though I really want one becuase I'm an "old person" and have trouble seeing my DS at times. Hopefully someone will have them on sale soon, i.e. a Dell bing cash back deal or something similar.

robot

For those looking for cases, the Hori ones are really awesome. I picked up the hard case from ebay here.

Also a word of warning, the official Nintendo screen protectors are complete garbage. They were scratched up in the package (didnt realize till I opened) and scratch very easily. Overall very flimsy and a waste at $6. Plus the cloth it comes with actually leaves black lint everywhere on the screen - really sucks since I wiped down the top screen, then placed the cover, and had speckles everywhere.

I'm throwing them out as soon as my old faithful hong kong brand protectors arrive.

Chorazin

larvi said:
I'm fine with the bronze but not the $190 price tag even though I really want one becuase I'm an "old person" and have trouble seeing my DS at times. Hopefully someone will have them on sale soon, i.e. a Dell bing cash back deal or something similar.

Trade your DS to Gamestop and get the DSi XL for $129. You'd be hard pressed to get $60 for an old DS selling it anywhere else, honestly.

Stencil

Ugh. I'm debating getting this. My DS Lite works fine (I can't tell if my screen is working perfectly or not though) but I can't help but want an LL. I do most of my playing at home, but I don't have access to Ninty Wi-Fi either...

larvi

Chorazin said:
Trade your DS to Gamestop and get the DSi XL for $129. You'd be hard pressed to get $60 for an old DS selling it anywhere else, honestly.

I suspect my gold Zelda DSLite is worth more than $60, it is to me at least. Plus I still need my old DS to trade pokemons, make copies of my DS saves, play gba games, unlock gba features in DS games, etc. I'll find a deal eventually or another option would be to buy a limited edition one as I might pay full price for that (as I did with the DSLite)

Fusebox

Banned
VOOK said:
So just looked on Play-Asia and there is no good cases for this thing on there. Anyone got any recommendations?

I use this one and I highly recommend it, problem is I dont know who made it or where anybody could get one. :(

4477338401_2c363941c8.jpg

4477961056_19c16b6abf.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
I bought it from the Hakuhinkan Toy Park when I was in Ginza and now I can't find any brand labels or anything on it.

kiun

Got the red maroon color. While I like the big screen, the wobbly hinge does bother me. Seems like this is a fairly common issue, so I guess I have to get used to it. I think my old gba sp also has a loose hinge.

larvi said:
Gamestop has a trade-in offer right now. It goes down to $129 with a DS Lite and $99 with a DSi. It's really amazingly worth it, friend. Even without the trade-in.

I really like this case by PDP

10dsavm.jpg

2u9rbdc.jpg

34e82.jpg

I have the hardcase by HORI for my DSlite and DSi but lately I prefer the fold out case instead of zipper one.

To the guy with bad HORI screen protector and cleaning cloth, ususally they make pretty good products, are you sure it's real HORI and not a knock-off? Some of the knock-off look exactly like the real thing (I mean they copy everything including the packaging).

antiquegamer said:
I really like this case by PDP

http://i43.tinypic.com/10dsavm.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2u9rbdc.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/34e82.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Damn, US only and no stores or eBay sellers will ship it to the UK.

If I could get hold of one of those I'd cave in and buy a brown XL system, it looks really classy.

Zing

Banned
Chorazin said:

I just sold an extra "fat" launch DS on ebay for $70. I also sold my DS Lite for $85.

Zing

Banned
Given all the reports of cracked hinges on the DS Lite, I wonder if the extra weight of the top screen has been accounted for this time around.

C-Jo

jlevel13 said:
The only problem I'm having with my XL is I don't think I could go back to playing on a smaller handheld again.
Yeah, I'm kind of worried of what my perception of the 3DS screens will be like after spending some serious time with the XL.

Top Bottom