• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Europe MD slams MS... games profitability "is not their key motivation"

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yah but they're trying.
Who, Sony or Nintendo? ;)

SolidSnakex said:
I think the main problem with the female demographic is no developer really takes the time to find out what type of game they want. So they just keep making rhytmn games. And no developer wants to make stuff that's usually seen as girl friendly since that'll mean that it wouldn't sell to male gamers which is still the majority of the industry. The female demographic will start getting bigger once developers start trying to find out what type of games female gamers want and then try to blend that into the type of game male gamers want so they'll be able to get sales out of both demographics instead of just 1.
I dunno, there's been plenty of games that scored big with girls, even recently. The Sims springs to mind, as well as Kingdom Hearts (Disney games in general actually, I remember reading Capcom's Mickey's Magical Tetris had a huge female following). Crash was huge with female gamers in Japan and even whole genres have proven appeal like puzzlers or as you mentioned rhythm games. And it's not like it's always a huge undertaking either, developers could just do something amazingly simple like the "For Girls" rereleases of Harvest Moon.

Overall though, I don't think it's so much about specifically targeting female gamers as just making games accessable to those audiences. The excessive violence or t&a becoming predominant trends in western games being a large deterrent I'd bet...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The offline mode in Splinter Cell PT is easily as good as the original game.
That's not what any of the reviews said, though. Too many times I've read their comments that they gave it score as high only because of the brilliant multiplayer mode.

GigaDrive

Banned
I really hope Microsoft takes their time with Xenon-Xbox 2

this one is not going to be a modified PC architecture, because:

-PowerPC CPUs (PCs use X86)
-embedded graphics memory (PC GPUs have none so far)
-flash or some solid state storage in place of HDD (PCs and Xbox1 use HDD)

I hope Microsoft can hold off launching until at least spring/summer 2006, if not fall 2006.
MS can still launch a few months ahead of Nintendo and Sony, who are due to launch Revolution and PS3 in late 2006, if not 2007.

GigaDrive

Banned
by the way, the Dreamcast *was* indeed a threat to Sony. especially with Microsoft backing the Dreamcast with ease of development via Windows. Dreamcast was shaking up the industry as far back as mid to late 1997 with its basic specs becoming known. certainly by May 1998 when DC was officially unvieled, i'm sure it caused some sleepless nights at Sony. mainly because of Microsoft.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
GigaDrive said:
by the way, the Dreamcast *was* indeed a threat to Sony. especially with Microsoft backing the Dreamcast with ease of development via Windows. Dreamcast was shaking up the industry as far back as mid to late 1997 with its basic specs becoming known. certainly by May 1998 when DC was officially unvieled, i'm sure it caused some sleepless nights at Sony. mainly because of Microsoft.

WTF? How many DC titles were developed using MS' Windows-Lite DC OS? I can't remember seeing the logo(seen during game bootup) in very many games.

jarrod said:
Overall though, I don't think it's so much about specifically targeting female gamers as just making games accessable to those audiences. The excessive violence or t&a becoming predominant trends in western games being a large deterrent I'd bet...
hit-the-nail-on-the-head-01.JPG

GDGF

Soothsayer
Whether this article is wrong or right is irrelivant. Truth is, I don't even consider Nintendo Europe to be part of Nintendo proper anymore. They're just too, oh I dunno...stupid? Is that a good word? I feel sorry for the Europeans who must settle for this bastardized facimile.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Meh. Sony's platform has provided a place for all types of games to be enjoyed, from the Eyetoy to Manhunt and everything in between. If my man wants to bitch about working for a third place console manufacturer, that's his right - but his transparency is amusing, to say the least.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
DarienA said:
WTF? How many DC titles were developed using MS' Windows-Lite DC OS? I can't remember seeing the logo(seen during game bootup) in very many games.

Why do you have to bring technicalities into this?? The fact of the matter is that Microsoft had their logo on the dreamcast and, as a result, deserve all the credit for any success the console had.

Junior Members
nonono.gif

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
open_mouth_ said:
Why do you have to bring technicalities into this?? The fact of the matter is that Microsoft had their logo on the dreamcast and, as a result, deserve all the credit for any success the console had.

Junior Members
nonono.gif

:lol

Top Bottom