• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Evaluation

Ceb

Leatherface said:
I haven't been this happy about Nintendo and the direction the are heading in a long time. They are bringing unique and exciting things to gaming, and for someone who's played everything to death, it couldn't be any more welcome.

Nah, fuck "innovation". The interesting titles unveiled today are just classic, polished products. :)

Leatherface

Ceb said:
Nah, fuck "innovation". The interesting titles unveiled today are just classic, polished products. :)

Well, that's a given for the most part. Something we've all come to expect. I don't think that will ever change. :)

*waits patiently for mario kart DS*

Gattsu25

Banned
leck2qe.gif

Darkshire :(

stop playing MMOs >_<

Love them. The Revolution is the one next-gen system I am getting at launch.

It's funny, I think all Nintendo and/or game fans have their problems with the company. I waited very patiently for the N64, and I remember being slightly disappointed in it; expensive games, few 3rd party games, long delays. I ended up buying a PS as well. But when I think back, the majority of my favorite games of the era were on the N64 (Mario 64, Zelda, Star Fox 64, Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie) and I realize I really loved that fuckin system. The Gamecube has been like the N64, with fewer AAA titles from Nintendo, but again, it holds some of my favorites from this generation (Sunshine, Windwaker, Mario Baseball, Smash Bros).

I don't own a DS as I really prefer to read when I'm commuting, but that thing is awesome, and again, the Revolution looks terrific.

Sync M

Banned
DS side of things is looking good.

I need to see what Rev is capable of graphically before I fully make up my mind about it.

Mr_Moogle

I'm different from most of the N-fans on this board. The Gamecube is the system that got me interested in Nintendo again. I can understand the criticism over some of Nintendo's AAA efforts but the third party support was much better than the N64.

I think Nintendo are heading in very interesting direction. I'm almost certain that I will buy a Revolution....the only question is.....PS3 or Xbox 360? Somehow I think I will have my answer when I see FFXIII.

if you could change, or add anything to the DS gameplan, what would it be?

What is the ONE thing you hope Nintendo definitely does with the Revolution?

Akia

I want Online Mario Kart Battle Mode. If they released that then I'd be the happiest man alive.

goomba

Banned
Nintendo look to be stepping up again at last.

I still expect the PSP and PS3 to kick the DS and REV's ass sales wise though. Especially in my part of the world (NZ).

goomba said:
Nintendo look to be stepping up again at last.

I still expect the PSP and PS3 to kick the DS and REV's ass sales wise though. Especially in my part of the world (NZ).

ps3 yes, psp life is over. over you got that hahahhahahahha

I am Crying right now. CRYING, It's like a long lost brother that I have been missing for years have come back to me. Gaming is alive again. Once the other guys get the hint gaming in general well be back bigger then ever. Rev you can do no harm.

MutFox

Banned
phantomile co. said:

For the DS, I'd like for it have more in the way of doing schedules, a better pictochat,
web browser, etc... (Built in, like a DS SP)

As for the Rev, the one thing I hope the controller has built in, is a mic.
Be wicked if I could just hold it like a mic, and use it for karaoke/new types of games.
(I hope the mic is not a shell device.)

Nintendo did say in an interview a while back, that a mic is definitely part of the system.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The thought of games on the Revolution really excites me and I can't wait to see some. I'm also interested in getting a DS and the latest slew of game announcements really makes it an attractive prospect.

I'm much less happy about the two "current gen" Nintendo machines that I have. I'm not really happy about the lack of Gamecube support lately and the GBA situation is about 10 times worse.

So Revolution + DS = great but I want to see more continued support for the Gamecube and GBA. If I get that then I'll be loving Nintendo once again.

phantomile co. said:

More Castlevania style 2D, almost no 3d games (They just look pretty bad on DS, IMO)

Find it in their heart to add HD and 5.1 support

Calidor

Spazbiohaz said:
I am Crying right now. CRYING, It's like a long lost brother that I have been missing for years have come back to me. Gaming is alive again. Once the other guys get the hint gaming in general well be back bigger then ever. Rev you can do no harm.

I feel the same way, the Square-Enix reconciliation with Nintendo was too emotive :lol

Buggy Loop

DS-

From a slow start to probably one of the most exciting lineup coming in the next years, free online service, new franchises, kickass classic franchises, strong support from jpn devs (especially square). All around, i think PSP was the best thing to happen to the handheld market, they awoke a sleeping giant. What i would want more? Western RPGs, RTS and hack and slash, want examples? Baldur's gate, starcraft and diablo. GIMME.

REV-

Everything i've seen/read about it is exciting, definitely new, everyone i talked to about it, mostly mainstream gamers are all interested in it, i think it will bring back a lot of old gamers who just gave up on games when they had to synchronize 2 analog sticks to even get a decent enjoyment out of 3d games.

If devs flock to rev as much as DS, free online service, comparable graphics and that the remote is as sweet as they make it out to be, it has a chance to becoming my favorite console ever. HDTV support bugs me, i've got a sony grand wega 42" LCD, i want to take advantage of that, but if 720p and 1080i are a no go, at LEAST make it 480p and 16:9 standard, especially widescreen.

terrene

Banned
My take on Nintendo:

The marsupials survive in Australia because there are very few natural predators. Such was bouncy, fluffy Nintendo until heavy hitters like Microsoft and Sony came into their market. It's not a question of whether they'll eventually leave the hardware market, but when. Probably not next gen, since they have enough cash to ride it out. But after the Rev underperforms in the market... they're going to have some serious thinking to do.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Drinky Crow said:
less Nintendo topics, please; more relevant console manufacturers need threadspace

WTF is this thread even about, and how did it get to two pages?

Ruzbeh

Banned
terrene said:
Meh, who cares. I hereby declare this thread to be about OWL GUY from now on!

014.jpg

015.jpg

020.jpg

038.jpg
:lol You know, the idea is good, a mysterious guy wearing an owl mask, but the eyes... it makes you think it's actually a guy with a genuine owl head. :lol

terrene

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
:lol You know, the idea is good, a mysterious guy wearing an owl mask, but the eyes... it makes you think it's actually a guy with a genuine owl head. :lol
Is that what it's supposed to be? A dude w/a mask? He has matching owl feet, you know.

koam

I'm not quite sure why but I was really dissappointed with the Gamecube, despite it being the console I probably played the most this gen. Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time and Resident Evil 4 is my favorite of this generation, but still, something was lacking.

I think it's Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Starfox.. they just weren't as superb as their predecessors.

As for the DS, I wanted to sell it about 3 months after launch but I'm so glad I didn't. There's so many games that interest me and its very unusual since I barely ever played handheld games prior to the DS.

Revolution is looking promising so far. I just want the console to be able to do 720p/1080i out of the box and that will seal the deal for me. The controller is fantastic and if it follows in the DSes footsteps, we have a winner.

Oh and one more thing, that nintendo.com/status page was awesome.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
phantomile co. said:

1). Support "productivty" software.

2). Support Hi-Definition.

callous

A year ago I was extremely sceptical and, never having been a Nintendo fan in the first place, I was ready to put them in the grave. Now, I'm starting to think the DS might just be the feignt for the uppercut that the Revolution could be. It's certainly going to be fun following (and playing).

terrene

Banned
callous said:
A year ago I was extremely sceptical and, never having been a Nintendo fan in the first place, I was ready to put them in the grave. Now, I'm starting to think the DS might just be the feignt for the uppercut that the Revolution could be. It's certainly going to be fun following (and playing).
You guys, stop posting about Nintendo, it's off-topic. Owl guy or bust.

Bumping This One For 3 Reasons

1. Pre-E3
2. Because I'll Bump Again After E3
3. Just Got Home and Im Wasted

so, i want everyone to go all in with this one.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I created a thread about this back in June 2005 . It's still pretty valid, so I might just repost what I posted then:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53465

Chittagong said:
Nintendo's new strategy - why we shouldn't hope for "PSP killers" and "PS3 killers"

Nintendo is taking a completely different strategic path from the competition. In fact, I believe Dyack is genuine here:

Q: The official PR line of why your company and Nintendo discontinued your relationship was "business is business", is that all there really is to it?

Dyack: You know, I spoke with Matt from IGN about it, but at the end of the day, Nintendo is going down a strategic path where we believe they want to make smaller, simpler games. But Silicon Knights is not built for smaller, simpler games. We love those guys but as much as we tried to come to a half-way point to make a Silicon Knights game that fits within a strategy that Nintendo wants, we just really couldn’t do it. So it’s really strategic differences. The industry is massive, so we both could be right, but at the end of the day, we have to take the company in directions that we think will be successful for us, and that is the bottom line. So it’s pretty straight forward.

Many would love to see Nintendo create a kick ass Game Boy with a PSP quality screen and super processor, and a full next generation home entertainment system that would beat PS3. This isn't the path of profitability for Nintendo, however - I believe.

They might be on the wrong path for fanboys wishing to see them humiliate Sony on traditional turf, but they are on the correct path for the shareholders.

My interpretation of Nintendo's strategic thinking is:

1. THERE IS NO MONEY FOR #2 IN THE TRADITIONAL CONSOLE RACE
Nintendo has realized that in the high-spec hardware race the
- margins on hardware are incredibly small to negative
- first-party games are huge, 10-20M USD risks every time
- taking in account HW margin and 1st party risk, lifetime platform profitability will be achieved only by market leader
- Nintendo hasn't got in traditional terms an edge on Sony, so why waste cash trying like MS

2. SONY VS. MICROSOFT BATTLE WILL DRAIN THE MARKET FROM ANY PROFIT
With two resourceful companies fighting for number one spot, the market profitability will be destroyed. The following means will be used:
- Hardware pricing below profitability
- Cuts in third-party margins
- Excessive marketing campaigns

3. NINTENDO PROFITS BY CHANGING INTO A DIFFERENT MARKET SETTING
Nintendo DS is a manifestation of Nintendo's thinking - an affordable device that plays simple yet fun games, with low-spec components and day one profitability on HW.

4. USE THE NARROW YET TALENTED DEVELOPMENT BANDWIDTH WISELY
Nintendo's development and 2nd party management resources are very limited but extremely talented. Nintendo can maximize the benefit of them by using them to do a multitude of smaller projects. Nintendo DS software (in Japan) has shown the most astounding shift we've seen in 10 years towards entirely new types of content - simpler, shorter, more accessible titles. Key examples of very recent franchises are:
- Elektroplankton
- Nintendogs
- Brain Training for Adults
- Made in Wario
- Polarium
- Daikasso! Band Brothers
- Another Code
- Simple DS

5. CATER A LIMITED "BIG SCALE" OFFERING OF SURE HITS
Nintendo realizes that within the people who buy simple and fun devices there is some, albeit limited, appreciation for deeper and more immersive games. Hence, Nintendo keeps on bringing out a limited amount of big scale blockbusters, such as Zelda and Metroid.

6. CREATE NEW CHANNEL OF DISTRIBUTION TO OVERCOME RETAIL SHORTHAND
Nintendo has been experimenting on online distribution and DRM with iQue for some while. These learnings will be leveraged on Revolution and the back catalog.

7. TAKE HOME CONSOLE TO A SIMILAR ROUTE AS DS - NOT CUTTING EDGE BUT FUN
Everything we know about Revolution shows that it follows the DS example of innovating through simpler games and intuitive controls. Key factors for Revolution are
- Day 1 profitability on hardware due to lower spec components
- Deliver bare acceptable minimum to minimize cost, as with no HD
- Innovate on interface to create new types of games, the "revolution"
- Very easily accessible hardware that is easy to fire up for short gaming sessions

8. LEGITIMIZE NEW "SIMPLE GAMING" APPROACH WITH MARKET NEED
Nintendo's rhetoric has been for a long time that "games have become too complex" and "gamers have gotten bored". They key here, I believe, is that Nintendo believes that it cannot have a competitive edge on complex games in a big scale - their development pipeline doesn't scale to 10-20 games per year, nor does their 2nd party management capability.

The conclusions I would make at this point is that

- Expect difference between Revolution and PS3 / Xbox 360 reflect difference between PSP and DS
- Nintendo will not be doing high end multimedia devices
- Nintendo will not be doing "PSP killers" or "PS3 killers"
- Nintendo will do simple and affordable devices
- Microsoft and Sony will compete traditional market to zero profitability
- Nintendo will make a lot of money

The only things I can quite fit into my theory are

- online gaming
- Play-Yan and DVD compatibility

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Some quotes are quite old, but yet, it shows the way Nintendo is going.

It's a nice re-read tought. Thanks.

As a gamer who has only very recently come to appreciate Nintendo (ie, I don't have a whole lifetime of expectations riding on every decision they make), I am pleased as hell with the direction Nintendo is going. My laughable expectations of DS have been utterly blown out of the water and I now own more games for DS than I do for any current-gen home console, and it's easily my most played platform of the last year. The one area DS has not lived up to its promises has been proving the need for its features 100%, but from the very beginning I've always seen the machine as somewhat rushed and not thought through as well as it should have been (though some software has indeed been suited to the hardware--Kirby, Brain Age, Trauma Center, Meteos, Ouendan, etc.). From what I can tell, Revolution should greatly improve in that area. The design philosophy seems much more consistent throughout the machine, it certainly wasn't rushed, it will have at least some real third party support right out of the gate (unlike the DS), and developers actually seem really enthusiastic about it. Obviously not all the developers who have commented on Revolution will make games for it, but if even a fraction of them do it'll be a big improvement. I can't wait for that console.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i find it difficult to see how a game enthusiast can look at the ds and like nintendo's new direction. i suppose the japanese sales figures are exciting, but the software? really? i've long suspected that nintendo fans prefer nintendo to videogames.

superfly

I admire their willingness to be different, which is really bold for a big corporation. If only a film studio had as much guts to invest in smaller, lesser budget movies in order to be more profitable its likely the film industry would be a whole lot better.

I personally want to see Nintendo completely tear up the blueprint as we understand it. Keep the beloved franchises, but introduce them to new ideas. It cant all be about control innovation, it has to be 100% gameplay innovation and with that I want to see genres we never thought could exist etc. I love the non-games but dont really dig their current form, which is an open endedness with no conclusion. I want meaty games that are completely off the hook and I believe nintendo will deliver.

I still like games in their current climate, although I want a change. I will get a ps3, and depending on the quality of too human a 360, but the main thing I want to see is a complete diffusion of the type of shit nintendo are trying to do on the industry as a whole

drohne said:
i find it difficult to see how a game enthusiast can look at the ds and like nintendo's new direction. i suppose the japanese sales figures are exciting, but the software? really? i've long suspected that nintendo fans prefer nintendo to videogames.
Yes, the software, really. Your suspicions are wrong, at least in my case. I've been playing video games my whole life (and have loved them the whole way) but didn't pay any attention to Nintendo until maybe a couple years ago. I started out a PC gamer, which obviously has a lot to do with that. I LOVE the DS library, and, shockingly enough, I still play other games.

Xrenity

Prine said:
Hate the direction they're taking gaming. Not supporting them this gen
What's there not to like if they're still making games like Zelda and Mario AND supporting games like Red Steel?

N64 rocked; GameCube sucked. I am not sure about the Revolution so far. It looks good on paper, but that's it.

All of their handheld efforts have been superb though.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
drohne said:
just need drinky and maf to post in here and we'll have the three amigos together once more

Top Bottom