• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Evaluation

SantaC

Gold Member
drohne said:
i own hundreds of old console games, and i'm not paying again to download them. i can't keep all my old consoles hooked up, but i'm ethically comfortable with emulation. the virtual console idea would actually be kind of interesting on a portable.

yeah I understand that. Yeah it being on a portable would have been better.

Drohne said:
i don't know what it'd take to make me pay actual money for that hardware. or that controller. something much bigger than 2d castlevania, which is what forced a ds on me. and 2d castlevania looms pretty large in my gaming landscape.

I don't know your fav games, but you seem pretty interested in Mega man and contra (other than 2D CV) :p

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've played through nearly all of the megaman sidescrollers, and some of them are really fantastic, but there are honestly just so many that it's hard to get hyped about a new one. megaman zx will probably be as good as ultimate g+g, but the latter seems more exciting. i'm sure i'll keep playing megaman, but i can't imagine buying a console for megaman.

DjangoReinhardt said:
It doesn't have to be a "magical Rosetta Stone" to be worthwhile. My hope is that some devs out there will take advantage of the Revmote + low development costs and give us some new ideas that we wouldn't see otherwise. I'm just as disinterested in playing the same old games with a new interface as I am in playing them in HD.

So I guess you're totally disinterested in Red Steel since it's just a same ol' game (just another FPS) with a new input device?

I'm not interested in just new ideas, I'm also interested in this thing called fun. If I get both in one package, that's great, but I don't necessarily require something to be innovative, or whatever, to be fun.

If all you're looking for is innovation or new ideas, you must not play many games.

Flipmo23

Well, I guess the simplest question I can put forth would be:

Considering Nintendo is ALWAYS going to fall back on their established franchises, would you be content playing them the same way, with better graphics on a new platform, or would you rather have Ninty switch it up a bit?

I mean, what if some of you actually try it and like it? As gimmicky as it may sound to you, and as much as you hate Nintendo, there is a decent chance that the controller could very well change the way you play games in the same way analog sticks did. And then again, the whole idea could just bomb. But no one ever changed anything in gaming on a fundamental level without taking a big chance, and whether you support it or not, that's what Nintendo is attempting to do. With Nintendo, they're just another case of you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

SantaC

Gold Member
drohne said:
but i can't imagine buying a console for megaman.

definitely not. Personally I kinda lost interest in Megaman after playing 1-4 for NES + X1-X3 plus Megaman VII for snes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Flipmo23 said:
Considering Nintendo is ALWAYS going to fall back on their established franchises, would you be content playing them the same way, with better graphics on a new platform, or would you rather have Ninty switch it up a bit?

As long as they live up to their legacy (Pre-GC), then sure, I have no problem. But at the same time, I don't mind checking out what new stuff they could accomplish with the controller.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SantaCruZer said:
I have always seen you as a great poster. I know that nintendo fans (well I admit that U tend to favor nintendo) can be very rabid, but at the same time you can admit there are fanboys for the other systems as well. Seriously sometimes it sounds that only the N-fans exists.

Oh without a doubt. There are cretins on all "sides". I simply mean that Nintendo fans on the internet tend to represent two tendencies - excessive optimism and misplaced judgement. It's just a weird sort of loyalty that I was somewhat unfamiliar with in gaming before I visited message boards. I was also mixing in some hyperbole to highlight it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking Nintendo, I owe a great deal of my love of games to them.

I've also never seen you as one of the crazies without criticism, I like your posts.

I really hope the Revolution is interesting. The GC was dissapointing in the extreme. The DS is not.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
jaundicejuice said:
So I guess you're totally disinterested in Red Steel since it's just a same ol' game (just another FPS) with a new input device?

Unfortunately, the reason I avoid FPS has nothing to do with the interface - it's a bunch of design issues with the majority of games in the genre. The Revmote isn't going to make them fun for me in and of itself. I can, however, see where that might make a big difference for some.

That said, even if the Revmote makes certain genres more fun, I have a difficult time imagining that it'll be to such a degree as to inspire me to purchase games just for the controller. I love Super Monkey Ball, but I wouldn't buy a Revolution just to play the same game that happens to control better.

jaundicejuice said:
I'm not interested in just new ideas, I'm also interested in this thing called fun. If I get both in one package, that's great, but I don't necessarily require something to be innovative, or whatever, to be fun.

If all you're looking for is innovation or new ideas, you must not play many games.

I don't play all that many new games.

Of course, I play games for fun. I don't work in the industry, so why else would I play games if I don't enjoy them? At this point, I don't see much point in investing hundreds of dollars in new systems and software if I'm just going to get slightly different versions of the same stuff I already own and have been playing for years. I love(d) the Zelda formula, but I'm not interested in Twilight Princess at the moment because I already have plenty of Zelda-style games and it doesn't look like it's doing anything all that special. Granted, I'll be interested if it is super-refined example of the style. I would not be interested in another Wind Waker-caliber adventure, though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
That's only part of the difference.

Yeppers. If Nintendo only only focused on the console front, they'd still be here today, just not as filthy rich as they are currently, I would assume.

Main problem with Sega is that the business side was run by monkeys.

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Yeppers. If Nintendo only only focused on the console front, they'd still be here today, just not as filthy rich as they are currently, I would assume.

Main problem with Sega is that the business side was run by monkeys.

Well, Sega has always been in debt, even when they were popular. The biggest difference between the two companies is that one knew when to "give up." If Nintendo was going to try taking on Sony and Microsoft basing their systems only off of tech, they'd be gone much, much sooner.

Sega went the power route, and it ended up killing them (among the other problems they had throughout the 90s).

It's a controversial standpoint, and I don't applaud Nintendo for not making their system powerful (because they did in the past, and doing so produced some of the best games of their respective generations), but I'd rather they stick around as a first party developer if it means more good Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Mario.

Mr. Smith said:
selenaspicevol200038ai-vi.gif

I'd like to take this time to wish everyone a Happy Easter :)

Sega also doesn't really have the same number of hugely popular internal franchises that could be leveraged as first party exclusives, and even stuff like Sonic didn't fare too well after moving to 3D.

Top Bottom