• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

Biske

I'm not (really) hating on the N64 library here, but what would even be on this?
Mario 64
Both Zeldas
DK64
Wave Race 64
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Up to 3 Mario Party games
Kirby 64
Yoshi
Pokémon (either Snap, or Stadium 2 if you could connect it to the 3DS VC)
F-Zero X

What good 3rd party stuff would they be able to get? The Rare games would be out of reach, right?

It's going to be one game, the only game we need and everyone will love it.

Ogre Battle 64

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That game has Rare characters.

So did DK64 but Jetpac is in the game on Wii U VC.

Conker is better known from his more mature N64 outing though. Nintendo might not want that.

Microsoft might not be too bad about Diddy Kong Racing, it might be on whether Nintendo wants Conker or not.

shiyrley

Banned
but then again they rendered at 480p on the Wii U
Sigh...
Please check facts before posting, they render at 1280x960. Which is the highest "safe" resolution they could go for. (safe = multiplier of native res, and it obviously had to be less than 1080p)

A hypotetical N64 mini could easily render at the next higher safe resolution and downsample to 1080p (with options to render at N64 res too of course)

Also

> Minecraft is on Wii U and Switch with Nintendo characters
> Microsoft and Nintendo cooperating with cross-play

And you people think it's outright impossible for them to get rare games on this thing? Don't saying it will happen but it could.

Pancake Mix

Sigh...
Please check facts before posting, they render at 1280x960. Which is the highest "safe" resolution they could go for. (safe = multiplier of native res, and it obviously had to be less than 1080p)

Interesting, I think that's what Sony does for PS2 on PS4 titles also.

And yeah N64 titles on Wii U VC are very, very clearly an HD resolution. There's no way of not noticing it unless you haven't played one.

Madao

if this doesn't come with the F-Zero X Expansion Kit, i'm gonna riot.

not really but i'll be sad since Star Fox 2 got a chance on the SNES mini and F-Zero deserves a chance.

Magnus

Someone educate me. Why does a company need to do this again? Did the trademark expire in the last few years? Could another company have come in and trademarked the same design?

Cool I guess, I'd rather VC on Switch though.

Wonder if they'll change the analog stick, or else a new generation will get to experience the pain of the N64 analog stick making your thumb raw.

Giga Man

Assuming it's an N64 mini, as most of us are...

They better not get picky with Mario Parties on this. Either all or nothing...

... At least have 2 and 3 if they're still scared of 1's stick rotating mini-games. I just better not see only 2 and not 3.

oh wow, didn't think they'd actually do an N64 Mini
Yea I'm a little surprised as well. It bombed everywhere other than North America. NA accounted for ~70% of its lifetime sales and was about as successful as the SNES. The rest of the world by this point was Sonyland. Not complaining though, N64 housed some of the greatest and most influential games of all time.

Magnus

Yea I'm a little surprised as well. It bombed everywhere other than North America. NA accounted for ~70% of its lifetime sales and was about as successful as the SNES. The rest of the world by this point was Sonyland. Not complaining though, N64 housed some of the greatest and most influential games of all time.

Is its legacy as strong now though in Europe/Asia as it is in North America?

jts

...hate me...
Someone educate me. Why does a company need to do this again? Did the trademark expire in the last few years? Could another company have come in and trademarked the same design?
It's a trademark for a very specific new "logo" that is a stylised drawing based on the shape of the controller. They use those to brand the classic mini consoles.

But essentially it is a new logo, hence the trademark.

Celine

I'm not (really) hating on the N64 library here, but what would even be on this?
Mario 64
Both Zeldas
DK64
Wave Race 64
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Up to 3 Mario Party games
Kirby 64
Yoshi
Pokémon (either Snap, or Stadium 2 if you could connect it to the 3DS VC)
F-Zero X

What good 3rd party stuff would they be able to get? The Rare games would be out of reach, right?
This is the list of the N64 games available on Virtual Console:

1080° Snowboarding,
Cruis'n USA,
F-Zero X,
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards,
Mario Golf ,
Mario Kart 64,
Mario Party 2,
Mario Tennis,
Paper Mario,
Pokémon Puzzle League,
Pokémon Snap,
Sin & Punishment,
Star Fox 64,
Super Mario 64,
Super Smash Bros.,
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask,
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time,
Wave Race 64,
Yoshi's Story,
Excitebike 64,
Donkey Kong 64,
Harvest Moon 64,
Bomberman 64,
Bomberman Hero,
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

* In italics the third-party games.

If Nintendo wants (so to not pay any license) they could easily hit 15-20 just with first-party games and maybe add a little bonus like OoT Master Quest.
Some third-party games would be nice though:
Resident Evil 2 (Capcom), Megaman 64 (Capcom), Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (Konami), Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (Konami), Bomberman 64 (Konami through Hudson acquisition), Ridge Racer 64 (Namco for the series rights, game code is owned by Nintendo), Ogre Battle 64 (SquareEnix through Quest acquistion), Harvest Moon 64 (Natsume), Rayman 2 (Ubisoft) and of course some Rare stuff (Microsoft).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I would easily spend $200 for this.

I need it.

I'd be fine with paying $200AU for this thing if it means Nintendo are paying Microsoft, Activision and THQ Nordic(?) a share of the profits from getting Rare's games, Goldeneye and WWF No Mercy.

Celine

If Smash is on it, people are finally going to experience the best Smash on a hopefully large scale.
The original Smash Bros was, ehm, a smashing hit (sold in 5.55 million units).
The only fighting game to have sold more that generation was Tekken 3 on PS1 (about 8.30 million units).
Sure following Smash games sold more but the first one is hardly in need of a rediscovery (maybe for the younger gamers).

The original Smash Bros was, ehm, a smashing hit (sold in 5.55 million units).
The only fighting game to have sold more that generation was Tekken 3 on PS1 (about 8.30 million units).
Sure following Smash games sold more but the first one is hardly unknown.

I didn't say it was UNKNOWN, I'm saying it would have the chance to reach a wider audience today than it did back then or as it currently stands today. The Smash community is so large these days with a lot of players never having even touched Smash 64, let alone being competent enough to understand its deeper mechanics for those who did experience it back then. It was only around for a couple of years before Melee dominated the conversation, and the only people talking about Smash 64 these days are involved within its small community of no more than a few thousand players, at best.

Also, if there's no input delay and no frame drops, this could replace console/CRT tournaments for the Smash 64 scene, and potentially attract many new players.

Since Hori has been all buddy buddy with Nintendo and pretty active, is it to much to dream about this?

1400025245156.jpg

The d-pad being in the middle weirds me out so much.

MTC100

Banned
and without Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing (because of the characters), Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct

No....just no.

Yeah, not worth it.

As a Reminder:

250px-Cover_DKRDS.png

This one came out in 2007, when Rare was owned by Microsoft for a few years already. There is a high chance that we will see DKR on the N64 Classic Mini alongside Mario Kart 64. -And perhaps even Goldeneye 007, Nintendo is on great terms with Microsoft as we could see with Minecraft. I do wonder though, if there would be a problem with the James Bond Licence though as Nintendo surely doesn't own it anymore, neither does Rare/MS.

As a Reminder:

250px-Cover_DKRDS.png

This one came out in 2007, when Rare was owned by Microsoft for a few years already. There is a high chance that we will see DKR on the N64 Classic Mini alongside Mario Kart 64.

Again, that was a full on remake that booted out Banjo and Conker. Unless you think Nintendo is going to bother rom hacking the original game....

I assume Sony owns the rights to Rocket: Robot on Wheels, since they fully own Sucker Punch. I imagine there's little chance of seeing such gems on a potential N64 Mini.

You will never build a rollercoaster. You will never ride the rollercoaster you have built. Such a glorious, glorious game.

jts

...hate me...
Does it stop at 64, or could they squeeze a cube classic?
Cube classic is where things start to get trickier I assume because of the change to optical discs, even if small ones, would represent a huge increase in flash memory to hold a collection of games.

Not to mention the more modern controller, especially if they include rumble.

So personally I think N64 is the end of the line for classics, for now. Aside from possible portables.

EctoPrime

With Nintendo lowering the amount of games in the SNES mini it is likely that any potential Gamecube mini would only have ten games. 16GB flash memory in 2019 wouldn't be that much.

Smellycat

N64 games haven't aged well. I don't see the appeal when there are much superior versions of those games available elsewhere.

ash_ag

It would be amazing if Pokémon Stadium was included and they hacked in some kind of Transfer Pack simulation with 3DS. They could use the Poké Transporter app, which already offers access to the games' save file. But it sounds like too much work, and they would have to include Wi-Fi on N64, raising the cost. I don't think they'd bother. Pokémon Snap would likely be included instead.

As for what could act as the Star Fox 2 of this console, that could be the N64DD Expansion Kit of F-Zero X. Probably wouldn't be too hard to translate, would it? And there's already precedence in newly-translating N64 games: Wii VC's Sin and Punishment.

MrS

Banned
This thread got a mention from NME today.

This is the only Nintendo classic console I'd buy. Really hope Quake is on it.

Neoxon

It would be amazing if Pokémon Stadium was included and they hacked in some kind of Transfer Pack simulation with 3DS.
They could use the Poké Transporter app, which already offers access to the games' save file. But it sounds like too much work, and they would have to include Wi-Fi on N64, raising the cost. I don't think they'd bother. Pokémon Snap would likely be included instead.

As for what could act as the Star Fox 2 of this console, that could be the N64DD Expansion Kit of F-Zero X. Probably wouldn't be too hard to translate, would it? And there's already precedence in newly-translating N64 games: Wii VC's Sin and Punishment.
We may or may not be at Gen 8 by then, which would be on the Switch.

With Nintendo lowering the amount of games in the SNES mini it is likely that any potential Gamecube mini would only have ten games. 16GB flash memory in 2019 wouldn't be that much.

And a Wii U mini would only have 2 and a half games if you want to keep extrapolating.

If they divert to some handheld minis for a couple of years then there's definitely not going to be a problem making a GC mini.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If you can't get Goldeneye and the other Rare games on there Nintendo, there isn't much point in an N64 mini.

However much I would love one with a good N64 emulator.

I don't think Microsoft has any problems rereleasing the Rare games. Goldeneye won't happen because of the license. I would love if they actually made a micro N64, with USB stick modules shaped like the original.

Pancake Mix

Again, that was a full on remake that booted out Banjo and Conker. Unless you think Nintendo is going to bother rom hacking the original game....

Microsoft didn't care about licensing Jetpac for DK64, I doubt they care about doing it for those characters.

A bigger problem could be that Conker is generally associated with a more mature title nowadays.

MTC100

Banned

Ah, my bad Mr. Dinoman, didn't play it back then, I thought it was made as an colaboration title. Still there were Rare games on Nintendos Handheld after MS bought them, I think Mr. Pants was one of them.

It's highly likely that NIntendo will strike a deal with microsoft, seeing them beeing on pretty good terms lately with all that minecraft stuff going on and them agreeing on kinda implementing xboxlive into their online service.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Since Hori has been all buddy buddy with Nintendo and pretty active, is it to much to dream about this?

1400025245156.jpg

(as an optional, because I'd still like for an OG N64 controller)
I hope so. I've been looking to get one, but they're too expensive so a re-release would be nice. On that note, I think it's also possible Nintendo will use a controller more similar to the one for iQue as opposed to the original.

Considering the iQue was an official Nintendo product, I think there's a possibility this is the controller we could get. It's probably also worth looking at the library released for it as well.

• Wave Race 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Mario Kart 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Paper Mario
  • Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth
  • Excitebike 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Animal Forest
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Custom Robo

Not a bad list, but I'd love it if they could release a modified port of the DS and 3DS versions of Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and the two Zelda games. The 64DD version of F-Zero X would be nice as well, but this is all probably just wishful thinking. At the very least, I hope they have a good scanline shader since the original textures don't translate well to HD.

Edit - I didn't know this, but apparently the iQue uses the same processors from the N64.

wikipedia said:
The iQue Player is based on the Nintendo 64, but uses system-on-a-chip technology to reduce size. It plays Nintendo 64 games specifically ported to the system.

• Processor: R-4300 64-bit CPU, 93.75 MHz
  • Memory: 4 MB RAMBUS
  • Graphics: 100,000 polygons/second, 2.09 million colors
  • Sound: ADPCM 64

If this is what they use, I expect the system to fly off the shelve especially if they have an HDMI output and scanline shaders.

I had no idea the control stick is considered so fragile. I still use my launch day controller to this day (plus one I picked up a year or so later).

1400025245156.jpg

(as an optional, because I'd still like for an OG N64 controller)

My hands are cramping just looking at this thing.

Top Bottom