• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

In all honesty, it's probably not another retro DKC :'(

DKR2 really just makes too much sense. If Retro is doing Metroid too though I doubt we'll see it this year.

Mario Strikers Supercharged on Wii U by Next Level Games

I'd be UBER down with that. Yeah Retro and NLG should do new IPs, but as far as old work, those are I think great picks, predictable, but still, it's been too long and Mario is STILL sport-less on Wii U (Sadly Mario & Sonic is more mini-games disguised as sports, not the same thing).

I'll be honest, the big downside of Next Level getting higher-profile work is that they're too busy to make another Strikers.

This thread is bananas.

gkAJc7j.png

Rran

I'm still thinking Next Level has got Punch-Out!! in store. And Retro... ? Despite how much I love TF (srsly, it's probably my favorite side-scrolling platformer of the past, I dunno, decade or so), I can't shake that itch for another new, proper Metroid adventure--2D, 3D, whatever... just give me soooomeethiiiiinggggg.........

EDIT: oh yeah, I completely forgot that Nintendo's Direct will be focusing purely on 2015/ early 2016 titles... I'd imagine a new Metroid title would be a bit further down the road. So if they *are* showing something, maybe it won't be Metroid *tear*cry*collapse*

Neiteio

All signs point to NLG being on a Wii U game though. Also they certainly are big enough, having done Spider-Man: Friend or Foe on 360 (in addition to Wii of course, and PS2), and Cap 'Murica on PS360, their only ground-up HD game (very likely built from Catalyst; their new IP that had a video that never materialized).
Oh really? I don't doubt you, but what signs point to NLG working on a WiiU game?

Neiteio

Ehh, not sure. Maybe just being surrounded by Nintendo stuff made him want a WiiU, and he edited his post because it sounds like he's insinuating WiiU is not a desirable platform.

But yeah, I can also see how it looks like they might be making a WiiU game. In which case I have no idea. Punch-Out... Mario Strikers... A new Luigi's Mansion... Perhaps a Metroid title! Could be anything.

KaneU

My guesses:

1. Monster Games are working on Diddy Kong Racing 2, Retro is helping. The game will be released this fall for Wii U;

2. Retro is working on a new Metroid game for NX. It will not be announced this E3;

3. NLG are working on Punch Out for Wii U, to be released in Q1 2016.

Would also make alot of sense considering the success of MK8. Retro probably fetched the Mario Kart 8 engine from Nintendo, turned it into Diddy Kong Racing Returns game for super cheap, added a David Wise soundtrack and walla: Instant profits!

Red Hood

Banned
Didn't NLG use to work on a cancelled Metroid (was it Dread?) ? assuming the rumours about them working on a Wii U game is correct, what are the odds it's Luigi's Mansion 3? Or Metroid 5??

jariw

Here's what I'll guess:

Diddy Kong Racing 2 for WiiU, from Monster Games

A 3D Metroid for WiiU, from Retro Studios

A 2D Metroid for 3DS, from Next Level Games

Just a guess

At any rate, a Diddy Kong game is probably fairly close to a racing genre, since I guess Diddy Kong's omission in MK7 and MK8 probably has been done for a reason.

Retro is now officially dead to me. Keep it up guys, you're not seeing a penny from me.

So Nintendo files a Diddy Kong trademark in Europe, and you're boycotting Retro Studios even though there is no actual game announced, no confirmation of Retro's involvement, and the only thing you have to go by is GAF's speculation. Alright then.

Ehh, not sure. Maybe just being surrounded by Nintendo stuff made him want a WiiU, and he edited his post because it sounds like he's insinuating WiiU is not a desirable platform.

But yeah, I can also see how it looks like they might be making a WiiU game. In which case I have no idea. Punch-Out... Mario Strikers... A new Luigi's Mansion... Perhaps a Metroid title! Could be anything.

It's a much smaller leap in logic than most posts in this thread.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No, Retro, no. Nononono.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK FUCK FUCK!!

Worst 👾E3🎮 news ever 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😠😠🙇💔💔👤🔫🔪💊💉💣🔨🚑🚑

maxcriden

EDIT: oh yeah, I completely forgot that Nintendo's Direct will be focusing purely on 2015/ early 2016 titles... I'd imagine a new Metroid title would be a bit further down the road. So if they *are* showing something, maybe it won't be Metroid *tear*cry*collapse*

If it makes you feel better, they generally show some stuff outside the release window they say they're going to show stuff from.

Discomurf

This seems like a possibility next week...

• Diddy Kong Racing Extreme - reveal/playable - Holiday 2015
  • Star Fox - reveal/playable - Spring 2016
  • Metroid 3DS - reveal/playable - Holiday 2015
  • Metroid WiiU - Announcement Trailer

No chance both DKR (if it exists) and Star Fox would come out this year.

Kurt

Hopefully it's a Diddy game. DKC2 is a blast.

I agree that DK2 was the best in the series.
What art & music (most important part) can do.

Then again, i'll hope that retro is working on a metroid. It's time.
Zelda, mario, metroid = the triforce of nintendo.

Satch

Banned
if retro is making another donkey kong game my heart will break

anything but that

metroid, zelda, an f zero beat em up, star fox, an original game, give me an open world rpg maybe with some great towns and lush environments with that Retro Studios style of art direction god plEASE anything but donkey kong again im begging

Regiruler

What if this is a monster games project (assuming it's racing)? It's possible this has been on the burner and they swapped over temporarily for port duty.

Wasn't there a rumor that it was in development?

Tyeforce

For everyone complaining about the idea of this being Retro Studio's next game instead of something else, note that the blog post that started this rumor stated that Retro is also working on another main project of their own... They also stated that Monster Games was working on a small side project, too, which would be Xenoblade Chronicles 3D if this is to be believed.

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/
Diddy Kong Racing 2 is a collaboration between Monster Games and Retro Studios with Kensuke Tanabe as the producer. Monster Games is also working on another side (small) project that isn’t related to Diddy Kong Racing 2. Retro Studios is working on a separate main project of their own as well.

qko

Would love if the digital event starts off with Diddy Kong Racing by Retro, ends with Metroid WiiU... by Retro.

Subsequent inteviews reveal 2 teams at Retro now, Diddy Kong game out this Holiday and Metroid game in Spring 2016

daTRUballin

Would also make alot of sense considering the success of MK8. Retro probably fetched the Mario Kart 8 engine from Nintendo, turned it into Diddy Kong Racing Returns game for super cheap, added a David Wise soundtrack and walla: Instant profits!

Isn't David Wise busy on Yooka-Yaylee? I guess he could still work on both at the same time, but that would mean he probably started once Tropical Freeze came out.

Assuming Retro is even working on something like that, of course :p

Sometimes I feel like GAF exists in an alternate world where Returns and Tropical Freeze were something other than fantastic games.

All I see is "It's not what I want! Me me me me me!"

Personal preferences aside, I am confident that Retro will release a quality game, be it DKC or Metroid or whatever else they're working on.

maxcriden

Why wouldn't both come out? One is a racer, the other a rails shooter.

Sometimes I feel like GAF exists in an alternate world where Returns and Tropical Freeze were something other than two of the best games ever.

FTFY. :)

Blunoise

I'm still thinking Next Level has got Punch-Out!! in store. And Retro... ? Despite how much I love TF (srsly, it's probably my favorite side-scrolling platformer of the past, I dunno, decade or so), I can't shake that itch for another new, proper Metroid adventure--2D, 3D, whatever... just give me soooomeethiiiiinggggg.........

Lol to Nintendo, early 2016 titles are probably going to twinkle down to fall 2016

And please Nintendo Have retro work on something other than Adam. Even if it's not metroid

Hatchtag

Banned
So this is looking like a genuine possibility for this E3 for Nintendo:
-Star Fox game, possibly by Platinum or Retro
-Diddy Kong game, possibly by Monster Games or Retro
-Animal Crossing game
-Next Level Games game, possibly Metroid or Punch-Out
-Platinum game, if not Star Fox
-Retro game, if not Star Fox or Diddy Kong

Not bad at all. I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic about Nintendo's E3 before this week, but this + Retro news + Platinum news makes it seem like their lineup could be much better than expected.

Isn't David Wise busy on Yooka-Yaylee? I guess he could still work on both at the same time, but that would mean he probably started once Tropical Freeze came out.

Assuming Retro is even working on something like that, of course :p

Yooka-Laylee is not coming out until end of 2016 at the earliest. I'm sure he's got plenty of time!

-Animal Crossing game

Not bad at all. I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic about Nintendo's E3 before this week, but this + Retro news + Platinum news makes it seem like their lineup could be much better than expected.
I fully expect none of these outside of Star Fox.

Sponge

Banned
I'm really excited if the Diddy Kong rumor from last year turns out to be true. I was so excited at one point, I was making fanart of the idea. I never got around to finishing it though.

a3fe0de04a282ea4f5bb536ef0af4d5b.jpg

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm really excited if the Diddy Kong rumor from last year turns out to be true. I was so excited at one point, I was making fanart of the idea. I never got around to finishing it though.

Judd from Splatoon would totally fit in with this lineup.

maxcriden

-Animal Crossing game

Just to temper your expectations:

-Star Fox having anything to do with Plat. or Retro is pure conjecture at this point
-We'll see SF, Diddy, and almost certainly AC regardless
-We may or may not see NLG or Retro's main projects

Just sayin'. I'm sure we'll see tons of cool stuff, though!

a3fe0de04a282ea4f5bb536ef0af4d5b.jpg

That fanart is awesome. Who's the guy right middle?

AC is extraordinarily likely given the producer's comments last week.

So my very last question then is: When are we going to see Animal Crossing on Wii U?

Well, that's difficult for me to answer at the moment! Yup. That's pretty much all we can say.

What I will say is that you may have seen an announcement recently about an Animal Crossing product coming out on the 3DS... I can tack that on to the end of my response.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/29/splatoon-producer-on-making-a-nintendo-original/

I fully expect to see NLG's project. It's been two years and three months since Luigi's Mansion. I don't think we will see Retro's "main" project but I think we'll hear about whatever they might be assisting another Nintendo developer with. I also think the Platinum title will be a Nintendo one. I do not think Monster is working on DKR though. They are 20-25 people and I really do think they are now a port machine/support studio, as evidenced by the last three games they are credited on. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

maxcriden

I fully expect to see NLG's project. It's been two years and three months since Luigi's Mansion.

For my own unabashedly selfish purposes, I'm hoping for LM3.

I think you're talking about Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

Oh, I was unclear, sorry. I mean all the way on the right in the middle.

I know Rusty so well I made his OT!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795818

Amazing artwork, seriously impressive!

The outer right middle guy is from Dillon's Rolling Western. Google search says his name is Russ.

Oh, neat. Thank you! I'd be very surprised to see two Dillon reps, though. oh man...what if Nabbit makes it in?! @_@

Top Bottom