• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

Xiao Hu

Splatoon, Smash, Kart, 3DWorld, Pikmin, W101, Bayonetta, etc etc

Now we'll have a 3D platformer with Diddy Kong Returns!

The irony being that no other publisher has a line up as diverse as Nintendo.

Still it doesn't include the type of games I prefer to play, for example I didn't like Bayonetta at all and thought that W101 was quite boring. For me it was a lot like eating too much desserts while I'm more into hearty dishes.

That said I love what Nintendo mostly produce but cannot justify to buy their products again if I can't be guaranteed that at least Nintendo will offer iterations in genres that are scarce on their platforms.

TreIII

Actually, I feel like there is a legit possibility of this happening, especially since Platinum retweeted the Nintendo event (yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but still).

I actually do too. After Hitoshi Yamagami's (of Nintendo SPD1 group) choice quotes in this video , I don't think there was much left to question that Ninty and P* were going to be working together again soon enough.

The bigger question is when we'll see it and what exactly it is.

Tookay

But with Mario Kart 8's continuing popularity, and the likelihood of it receiving additional DLC, I really don't see Nintendo releasing another online racing game.
So I've been out of the loop but I've seen a lot of people suggesting that more DLC is planned for MK8. Was there a recent leak that suggested this or is this just everybody making a logical assumption that there will be more?

I hope that this means something. This would actually be an announcement I would get excited over, especially since anything else I want to see is not happening at E3.

jimi_dini

Hahahaha its like a fucking nightmare I cant wake from. I got Tropical Frezze for free and the game is still bad.

zLOGSHy.gif

This should be ban-worthy.

Still it doesn't include the type of games I prefer to play, for example I didn't like Bayonetta at all and thought that W101 was quite boring. For me it was a lot like eating too much desserts while I'm more into hearty dishes.

That said I love what Nintendo mostly produce but cannot justify to buy their products again if I can't be guaranteed that at least Nintendo will offer iterations in genres that are scarce on their platforms.
There are so many bad food analogies floating around haha.

So you don't want variety, you want a specific type of game?

KaneU

Retro is now officially dead to me. Keep it up guys, you're not seeing a penny from me.

overdramatic much? this is probably a collaboration project with Monster Games, and they are working on their own project (Metroid, hopefully) at the same time.

Neiteio

The Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor does sound convincing. That was written last E3, and since then 1) Monster Games has released Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, which could be the small side project alluded to in the piece, and 2) Diddy Kong is still absent from MK8, despite the two DLC packs that were announced and subsequently released since then.

I would be -thrilled- with a Diddy Kong Racing 2. Since it allegedly stars lesser-known Nintendo characters, they could call it Diddy Kong Racing: Second Banana.

It's basically what I'm eagerly waiting to find out now. This, along with Retro's new game, and Next Level Games'... erm, game.

AdanVC

I would be perfectly fine with this as long it's not another damn 2D platformer. Seriously, the least thing Wii U needs right now is more 2D platformers. The ones it has are great so please no mo'

Mato

I'm gonna assume they are working on 2 games, DKR and a new Metroid. Metroid might have been moved to the next system. DKR is an excellent fit for Wii U's profile. It will go along well with MK8, Splatoon, SSB4 and so on.

Xiao Hu

There are so many bad food analogies floating around haha.

So you don't want variety, you want a specific type of game?

Actually I think that food analogy expresses best the way I feel about Nintendo's offering. In my opinion it isn't that diverse or at least not diverse in a sufficient way.

trixx

We have mario kart 8 probably the best kart racer in the kart racing genre. What person with a Wii U is saying "hey we need another kart racer, I really want Diddy kong racing"

Hopefully its a game for 3ds

I was complaining about DK:TF when I heard it was going to be Retro's project. But then I played it.

I really hope they make a Diddy Kong.

>> complaints about Retro making a third DKC game

>> instead wants them to make a fourth Metroid game
Well the problem is that it would be another 2D platformer. I'd much rather them make another shooter, or if it has to be DK, another racer. Wii U doesn't have any games like that.

daTRUballin

Hmmm. Wonder what this means exactly? Is Retro working on a Diddy Kong game or something? Diddy Kong Racing? :p

And why was the trademark filed specifically in Europe?

Neiteio

Here's what I'll guess:

Diddy Kong Racing 2 for WiiU, from Monster Games

A 3D Metroid for WiiU, from Retro Studios

A 2D Metroid for 3DS, from Next Level Games

Just a guess

Here's what I'll guess:

Just a guess

All signs point to NLG being on a Wii U game though. Also they certainly are big enough, having done Spider-Man: Friend or Foe on 360 (in addition to Wii of course, and PS2), and Cap 'Murica on PS360, their only ground-up HD game (very likely built from Catalyst; their new IP that had a video that never materialized).

Revven

We have mario kart 8 probably the best kart racer in the kart racing genre. What person with a Wii U is saying "hey we need another kart racer, I really want Diddy kong racing"

A person that knows Diddy Kong Racing would be very different from Mario Kart 8.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's what I'll guess:

Just a guess

3d TPS Open World Diddy Kong game from Platinum

DKCR3 from Retro starring Dixie

A Metroid gun for Splatoon

Hows about?

Diddy Kong Racing 2 on Wii U by Monster Games

Metroid Prime 4 on Wii U by Retro Studios

Mario Strikers Supercharged on Wii U by Next Level Games

I'd be UBER down with that. Yeah Retro and NLG should do new IPs, but as far as old work, those are I think great picks, predictable, but still, it's been too long and Mario is STILL sport-less on Wii U (Sadly Mario & Sonic is more mini-games disguised as sports, not the same thing).

Top Bottom