• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

Astral Dog

Its going to be by Retro, its not fucking Donkey Kong its fucking Diddy Kong.
Diddy Kong Country has a nice ring to it.

Lol, as much as I'd rather have Retro work on something else, whatever they do will be great, and judging by this thread, an ACTUAL announcement of them working on something Donkey Kong related will result in beautiful GAF meltdown hilarity. This E3 is certainly shaping up to be interesting.

I'll throw my voice in as one of the few that would be super down for more DK from Retro. Honestly I'm fine with them working on just about anything.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well Diddy Kong has plenty of free time now
Dixie for life

2014-03-25-553.png

Ha ha so true, I basically combo Donkey Kong and Dixie Kong.

Barely used Cranky Kong though I plan to use him in hard mode, it's just Diddy Kong that got the shaft.

AGoodODST

Feel bad for any Retro employees reading this thread and seeing loads of people shitting on their shiny new Donkey Kong game they are stoked to show off.

Wee shame so it is.

stilgar

I was thinking that too! Diddy is so good on Smash, I felt bad for completely ignoring him in TF. Not bad enough to use him, but still.

It's better to accept it now.

Nah.Diddy Kong? I'll be a racing game or some shit. Not the full fledge FPS they've been working on for more than 2 years now.

"We’re pretty much on one major project at a time. We do a game every two years or three years," Kelbaugh said. "In the first year of that, we have some extra bandwidth, so sometimes… We helped out with Mario Kart 7. We helped Monster Games do the 3DS version. Sometimes we’ll have a little bit of extra bandwidth to help out other entities at Nintendo. We really feel strongly about helping out Nintendo as a whole, so if we have time, we’ll do that. Do we have the bandwidth to do two major projects at once? I don’t think so. A big project and a little project at the same time, we can do that."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid

Nah.Diddy Kong? I'll be a racing game or some shit. Not the full fledge FPS they've been working on for more than 2 years now.
You mean the full fledged 3D Diddy Kong Platformed they've been working on for more than two years now! They already have a dK model!

Vinc

Feel bad for any Retro employees reading this thread and seeing loads of people shitting on their shiny new Donkey Kong game they are stoked to show off.

Wee shame so it is.
If only I could express the level of excitement I actually feel with words... I think it would make up for all the complaints and then some.

V-Faction

Okay, a Diddy Kong Racing 2 with Dillon, Mallo, and Rusty as Tier-3 level Nintendo characters would be my jam. Now I want it.

"Diddy Kong: I remember when I used to be like you gentlemen. And then I learned to Down Throw, Up Air...."

RPGCrazied

Poor Samus, can't even get a game after 5 years. Isn't she a Nintendo mascot? Could have sworn she was part of the big 3.

JDSN

Banned
Hahahaha its like a fucking nightmare I cant wake from. I got Tropical Frezze for free and the game is still bad.

NMFried

It's gotta be a reboot of Diddy Kong Racing with an open world 3-D platforming element. Think Banjo-Kazooie meets Mario Kart. (But with N&B vehicle creation)

Discomurf

So this will most likely be the Zelda ''replacement' game for this November.

Interesting side note in Nintendo history: the first game was a holiday replacement as well (For a Banjo Kazooie delay).

yatesl

I'm with others. DKCR and TF were great, but I really want a different retro game... But GAFs reaction will be incredible

What if it's "Diddy Kong Country," as in an expansion for Tropical Freeze in the vein of New Super Luigi U where Diddy is the main character with a different moveset and controls and there's no DK.

hatchx

Banned
As much as I'd like a new Diddy Kong Racing, and as much as it makes sense with Nintendo's death grip hold on the kart racing genre, it can't possibly dethrone the MK8 king.

I'd love to see Diddy Kong along with 4-8 jungle-themed levels as an MK8 DLC pack. Do it.

What if it's "Diddy Kong Country," as in an expansion for Tropical Freeze in the vein of New Super Luigi U where Diddy is the main character with a different moveset and controls and there's no DK.

As much as I'd like a new Diddy Kong Racing, and as much as it makes sense with Nintendo's death grip hold on the kart racing genre, it can't possibly dethrone the MK8 king.

I'd love to see Diddy Kong along with 4-8 jungle-themed levels as an MK8 DLC pack. Do it.

Diddy Kong Racing DLC/standalone expansion for Mario Kart 8.

pizzacat

Banned
Better not be kongquest you can't just make a sequel to a game that a. Already has one and b. Doesn't need one since its that good

Sponge

Banned
Haha, Duddy Kong Racing by Retro would be quite the disappointment. I wonder how GAF would react?

Oh yeah! How dare Diddy Kong Racing get a game for the first time in a decade. We need another Metroid to make up for Other M.

If GAF acts like children again over a new Diddy Kong Racing then I'm going to flip.

maxcriden

Oh wow, never noticed that quote, that Monster side project was obviously Xenoblade 3D.

Seems so, right? That's what I was thinking. Just wondering if that was a small scale enough project to be considered "side." Was Monolith helping with it?

If this is how things are, i couldn't be happier. A new DKR by Monster Games (a team who already proved to be capable on one of my favourite arcade racer IPs) AND a main project by Retro, possibly Metroid? FUCK YES, IT'S CHRISTMAS GUYS. Let's hope it's legit.

Heck, let's go for broke and hope for DKR2 *and* DKCR3! With animal buddies.

Top Bottom