• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

rhandino

Banned
In one hand this could be Next Level Games game while Retro was working on something else... but in the other hand this could be Retro project while NLG was working on Punch Out!!! for Wii U?

Exciting times!

random25

Seriously guys. Don't lose hope yet. They don't need to make a new trademark for a new Metroid game, you know.

We'll just have to wait and see at E3. Diddy Kong may not even be a Retro game.
And Metroid may be absent for E3 too :p

Baleoce

I would love for it to be Diddy Kong Racing. Retro earned their kart chops by updating the classic courses in Mario Kart 7. It feels like that was a part exercise for them in course design, and what makes courses special, or as they put it "lessons about the development process" and "about what makes a good course from a design perspective." So the potential is there. There's an interesting Iwata Asks with them from back when the game was launching.

I mean, that would be nice anyway. If it's just MK8 character DLC, or perhaps even a standalone title that isn't even connected to Retro then fair enough.

Rodin

but, honest question: why people want SO BAD Retro working on Metroid again?
I mean: their actual staff is way more inclined to work on "mascotte-based" game, right now. It's not that the name of the studio develops game on itself. It's the people working on the game, that make the game. In today's Retro's studios there are people talented for DK, not for Metroid. Metroid-talent are gone.

Me too, I want a Metroid over a DK game, because we already had DK and other platforms (even if DK Racing would be...an arcade racer, not a platformer). Me too I'd be pissed off to see other platform and no Metroid.

But it's not that Retro is the only, nor the best, team to handle Metroid.
The studio did great on Metroid, but it's not the same studio anymore.
No, not this again. Please. This can't really be an argument guys. Retro Studios is a team full of great talents, they showed it with the Metroid Prime trilogy and they showed it again with the two Donkey Kong games. The reason why their games are incredible is the team's talent as a whole and Nintendo's hand guiding them, not a director that went to Armature to do second (third?) tier games and portings (with all due respect for the work that went behind this titles and for those who liked em, but if things were as you said we would've seen a game on par or at same level as Metroid Prime from Armature, right?). Sometimes, maybe often, the most obvious answer is the right one as well, and the fact that Retro showed their ductility doesn't mean that now they're not able to make another Metroid game at the same level of the original trilogy. It just means that they're very good, no matter what Nintendo tells them to do. Sure, great talents left the team, but great talents joined it as well. That's why Metroid Prime was a masterpiece and that's why Tropical Freeze is incredible as well. And that's why if they do an rpg it will probably be fantastic too. Same applies for DKR2, if it's true and they're developing it, i'm pretty sure it will be a great game. "Mascot games" doesn't mean anything, the kind of work behind a 2D platformer and the work behind an arcade racing game are completely different so you can't really say that now they're about "this type of games". Because Tropical Freeze is a very, very different game than Diddy Kong Racing, just because they share a few characters doesn't mean that the development of these two titles is similar.

This argument reminds me a lot of those about ND when all those people left the studio. Wanna bet that the next Uncharted game will be awesome, despite that? ;)

royox

From the other thread:

09Za5p2.png

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167043823&postcount=317

giphy.gif

The OT for the next Retro game

..................|OT| We didn't fucking Dig it or

..................|OT| We definitely Dig it

so what will it be GAF?

If you read the thread it's more about people wanting them to do something else.Not necesarily Metroid. Obviously Metroid fanboys are going to clamour for more of that, what do you expect?

You're right, but I use Metroid as the example because it's usually the most requested.

Gusy

Well shit..

I have still hope that a smaller studio within Nintendo is working on 2d metroid for 3DS

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I'm going to be really mad if that is Retro's project, as much as I like DKC and the studio's track record.

Dad

"Can you dig it?" was never written anywhere on the DKL3 box art. It was never written anywhere in the manual. When you search Google for that exact passage, the only result is that single fan summary from that single fan site. Give it a rest, folks.

reKon

Banned
A Diddy Kong Racing and Starfox game would require me to finally buy a Wii U immediately. The only reason I haven't is I currently live by myself and for me, Nintendo games are most fun when played with others

SykoTech

Such mixed emotions.

On one hand, I'd love another Diddy and Dixie game.

But on the other hand...Metroid please, Retro. Please. :(

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No, not this again. Please. This can't really be an argument guys. Retro Studios is a team full of great talents, they showed it with the Metroid Prime trilogy and they showed it again with the two Donkey Kong games. The reason why their games are incredible is the team's talent as a whole and Nintendo's hand guiding them, not a director that went to Armature to do second (third?) tier games and portings (with all due respect for the work that went behind this titles and for those who liked em, but if things were as you said we would've seen a game on par or at same level as Metroid Prime from Armature, right?). Sometimes, maybe often, the most obvious answer is the right one as well, and the fact that Retro showed their ductility doesn't mean that now they're not able to make another Metroid game at the same level of the original trilogy. It just means that they're very good, no matter what Nintendo tells them to do. Sure, great talents left the team, but great talents joined it as well. That's why Metroid Prime was a masterpiece and that's why Tropical Freeze is incredible as well. And that's why if they do an rpg it will probably be fantastic too. Same applies for DKR2, if it's true and they're developing it, i'm pretty sure it will be a great game. "Mascot games" doesn't mean anything, the kind of work behind a 2D platformer and the work behind an arcade racing game are completely different so you can't really say that now they're about "this type of games". Because Tropical Freeze is a very, very different game than Diddy Kong Racing, just because they share a few characters doesn't mean that the development of these two titles is similar.

This argument reminds me a lot of those about ND when all those people left the studio. Wanna bet that the next Uncharted game will be awesome, despite that? ;)

Mine wasn't for sure a critics to the GREAT team at Retro. Almost the opposite, I'd say.
And because they are very very talented, it's a shame to see people criticize to much their games if they are not Metroid.
They are GREAT developers and with DKCR and TF did two of the best sidescroller of all time. They also did a very solid side-job with MK7, btw (that is not so far away from DKRacing)
If they will do another DKCR or a DKRacing, those games will probably be stellar.
And Metroid can be handle properly also by other teams: it's not that because people didn't like Other M, now only Retro can do it/Retro must do only Metroid.

All yuo said is true, but I'd say that strenghten my point of view: don's shit on Retro game just because it's not Metroid, and viceversa.

Lunar15

As much as Metroid Prime is one of my most cherished series ever and I would openly welcome a sequel were it to be announced, I think I mainly want Retro to work on something different.

But if it's Donkey Kong, I loved those so much too, so yeah, whatever. It's retro, they've never disappointed me.

"Can you dig it?" was never written anywhere on the DKL3 box art. It was never written anywhere in the manual. When you search Google for that exact passage, the only result is that single fan summary from that single fan site. Give it a rest, folks.

But how else will we devolve into mass hysteria about a possible game announcement?!

Now imagine a Metroid game made by those who created DKCReturns and Tropical Freeze.
because those are the developers left at Retro studios right now.

Really. Literally every developer involved in Metroid Prime 1-3 and the trilogy left?
Lord knows the work that came out of the director (and the people who followed him) who left to go to make batman:blackgate at Armature wasn't exactly great. So did the talent go somewhere else? I don't remember any other implied exodus from Retro (that, or the talent just evaporated into thin air?).

And besides, like you said, they made DKCR and DKTF, both of which are fine games.

fake edit:
If metacritics info is accurate, the credits list actually looks like there's still an fair amount of overlap to me.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-prime-3-corruption/details
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/details

And because they are very very talented, it's a shame to see people criticize to much their games if they are not Metroid..

The problem isn't "not metroid". The problem is "Is 2d Donkey Kong". I don't care for another 2d platformer on wii U. I didn't even bother buying tropical freeze and I want Retro to make something else. Anything that's not a 2D platformer really. Pretty simple.

Anth0ny

This lines up. I had a dream about Diddy Kong Racing U by Retro Studios last night.

I don't remember much, besides...

"MUSIC BY DAVID WISE"

Book it. Diddy Kong Racing U GOTY 2015.

Doczu

Well what if it's exactly what Retro wanted us to find? We know they worked on DK. They know GAF is mostly salty about them making DK games instead of Metroid/other IPs. So the only way for them to lead us (and make us go FUCKING DK again) to the title is give us a vague (only 1 result in the whole fucking world wide web) tweet that doesn't break any NDA?

Well what if it's exactly what Retro wanted us to find? We know they worked on DK. They know GAF is mostly salty about them making DK games instead of Metroid/other IPs. So the only way for them to lead us (and make us go FUCKING DK again) to the title is give us a vague (only 1 result in the whole fucking world wide web) tweet that doesn't break any NDA?
They also know that we are paranoid, remember when we tried to hack the cameras in the parking near their bulding?

Nesther

Yeah,the fansite connection is no coincidence, I'm convinced.

Diddy Kong is going to take us for a ride.

Anth0ny

After Tropical Freeze, I can't be mad if they want to make another DKC game.

I'd rather they take a break and pump out a Metroid, but maybe they just want to save that for NX rather than release it on the dying Wii U. Probably far less expensive to pump out another DKC using some of the same assets from TF.

But it's Diddy Kong Racing, so we good ;)

Neiteio

Oh man, a 3D platformer remake of DKC2, with the same atmosphere as the original, would expand my dong so much, you'd call me Dongteio

Top Bottom