• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ueda's new game.

Rodin

Mine wasn't for sure a critics to the GREAT team at Retro. Almost the opposite, I'd say.
And because they are very very talented, it's a shame to see people criticize to much their games if they are not Metroid.
They are GREAT developers and with DKCR and TF did two of the best sidescroller of all time. They also did a very solid side-job with MK7, btw (that is not so far away from DKRacing)
If they will do another DKCR or a DKRacing, those games will probably be stellar.
And Metroid can be handle properly also by other teams: it's not that because people didn't like Other M, now only Retro can do it/Retro must do only Metroid.

All yuo said is true, but I'd say that strenghten my point of view: don's shit on Retro game just because it's not Metroid, and viceversa.

Ok, i absolutely agree with this. In my post i was referring to the part about "they're not the same team Metroid team anymore, they can't do Metroid anymore", but i agree that they are free to do other games and that they'll probably be fantastic. But if they do Metroid again, the same reasoning applies to it.

Anyway like i said i would love to see them on a new ip, possibly an rpg considering the incredible work they did with Metroid lore in the Prime games, and Metroid by team Koizumi.

If it's a 3D platformer, it wouldn't need the Country moniker :D
Haha true! And then everyone would love this game because their problem with DK is that it's a 2D platformer, right? Right?

The amount of hate people have for Retro with anything to do with DK, is just so bloodly stupid.
Excuse us for wanting a serious game about a lady in a bird suit that shoots crab people and jellyfish. No more kiddy crap lol

Glass Rebel

Real talk, I'd take a Retro-made Diddy Kong 3D platformer over a new Metroid, especially because it wouldn't be anything like fucking DK64.

Well Diddy Kong has plenty of free time now
Dixie for life

2014-03-25-553.png
Poor Diddy basically never got out the barrel unless it was by accident.
Cranky and Dixie is at least a 50/50 split.

Oh man, a 3D platformer remake of DKC2, with the same atmosphere as the original, would expand my dong so much, you'd call me Dongteio
I want to be able to call you Dongteio.

Pizza

Man a Diddy Kong centric game would actually be great!

K. Rool makes a grand entrance, grabs D.K. and the bananas and runs off. Then we get another diddy/dixie adventure and K.Rool and Dixie in smash!

I'd be so okay with this

Typically a name wouldn't need to be trademarked like that unless it's in a title no? Also Diddy's been in oodles of games over the last while, so the TM status prior had no bearing.

It's GOTTA be Diddy Kong Racing 2 for Wii U by Monster Games as long rumored! IT. IS. TIME!!!

Davey Cakes

The amount of hate people have for Retro with anything to do with DK, is just so bloodly stupid.
It's strange in a sense. DKCR and Tropical Freeze is so highly regarded. Before TF's release, people were disappointed that Retro made another DK game. After release, plenty of them felt the same way, as good as that game was.

At this point, quality doesn't matter. Variety does. If Retro is that good at DK, then they have a lot of potential for pretty much any Nintendo property, old or new. I guess a lot of Nintendo fans just want something different.

Either that or they want Metroid. Heh.

AGoodODST

Yessssssssssss. Retro dropping the DK bombs next week. The reactions. I need them.

Walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells. Grapes, melons, oranges and coconut shells, aw yeah!

C'mon Retro, take it to the fridge.

Kurt

Oh man, a 3D platformer remake of DKC2, with the same atmosphere as the original, would expand my dong so much, you'd call me Dongteio

That would be the only thing that i aprove.
But i don't think they will create a new donkey kong platform game.
They had only one game on the wii u.
Besides they were working on a new engine.

It would be pointless if they create a new engine for a mario kart based game.
Mario kart engine is already top level quality.

The only thing what i could think is a 3D platform of donkey kong.

Xiao Hu

Yeah, but Retro aren't that big are they? They can only do one game at a time. Where is the diversity Nintendo needs...

maxcriden

Typically a name wouldn't need to be trademarked like that unless it's in a title no? Also Diddy's been in oodles of games over the last while, so the TM status prior had no bearing.

It's GOTTA be Diddy Kong Racing 2 for Wii U by Monster Games as long rumored! IT. IS. TIME!!!

Seems like it could be DKR2 or a Diddy Kong stand alone game. I'd be thrilled with either.

Neiteio

Yeah, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion this is Retro's game (or that it is even a game, for that matter). Any number of studios at Nintendo could be working on any number of things.

But I welcome anything and everything Retro does.

Doczu

"Very high priority" my ass. When they drop news like that, Reggie wears a Samus pin and the only thing they give us is an incomplete port of Metroid Prime trilogy (where you have to download a save to achieve 100% collectables), while the signs and stars foreshadow another DK title made by retro (and wait for the announcment of yet another 2D platformer)... Then i'm somewhat salty.

maxcriden

Calm down peeps:

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

The case for Retro doing Metroid is actually stronger now.

From that link:

Diddy Kong Racing 2 is a collaboration between Monster Games and Retro Studios with Kensuke Tanabe as the producer. Monster Games is also working on another side (small) project that isn’t related to Diddy Kong Racing 2. Retro Studios is working on a separate main project of their own as well.

So yeah, it's possibly Retro is helping out with the game and primarily focusing on another game. Sounds reasonable to me.

Cub3h

Banned
I absolutely adore DKR, so a sequel would blow my mind. Mario Kart 8 is amazing so I can only imagine what a properly fleshed out DKR2 would be like.

Rodin

From that link:

So yeah, it's possibly Retro is helping out with the game and primarily focusing on another game. Sounds reasonable to me.

If this is how things are, i couldn't be happier. A new DKR by Monster Games (a team who already proved to be capable on one of my favourite arcade racer IPs) AND a main project by Retro, possibly Metroid? FUCK YES, IT'S CHRISTMAS GUYS. Let's hope it's legit.

Top Bottom