• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

Puruzi

Banned
If this is retro's game I am going to die of laughter. Then be revived by the bitter tears of the Metroid fans.

They give me life fuel.

Man this E3 will rock

Ryu in Smash
Diddy Kong's Quest: Return to Crocodile Isle
Animal Crossing Wii U
Starfox
Wind Waker characters in Hyrule Warriors
And maybe some GameCube HD remakes???

Thorakai

oh god, are my biggest fears coming true? If Retros game is DKR I will be veeerryy dissapointed and WIiU will be completely dead.

You mean like dead to you, right? Because if you are talking about Wii U sales there is nothing that will be revealed that will "save" the console.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What if it's "Diddy Kong Country," as in an expansion for Tropical Freeze in the vein of New Super Luigi U where Diddy is the main character with a different moveset and controls and there's no DK.
This seems quite reasonable, but then I assume if its done by Retro Studios that they have something more up their sleeves. An expansion cannot take too long to develop considering the framework is already there. New Super Luigi U took perhaps a year or less to develop?

NEO0MJ

What if it's "Diddy Kong Country," as in an expansion for Tropical Freeze in the vein of New Super Luigi U where Diddy is the main character with a different moveset and controls and there's no DK.

I'd be tempted to think this is possible, developed by Monster games, like how they did bonus levels for DKCR 3D. But didn't TF have mediocre sales? Wouldn't make sense to develop content for it so late, unless that's why they offered it as a plat game.

maxcriden

Oh yeah! How dare Diddy Kong Racing get a game for the first time in a decade. We need another Metroid to make up for Other M.

If GAF acts like children again over a new Diddy Kong Racing then I'm going to flip.

Get ready to flip. And get ready for it to be especially silly if (even if it's all Retro reveals at this E3) it's clearly Retro's side project they're helping out with and not their main focus.

Diddy Kong Racing DLC/standalone expansion for Mario Kart 8.

Now, that would be a big disappointment for me, with all this hype. DKR2 with Mallo. PLS!!

I meant mascots, not franchises.

Oh, okay. Kirby and Pikachu are much bigger, though.

tronic307

Amiibo appeal, the success of MK8... It's a Diddy Kong Racing sequel, guys. I want Metroid but this makes so much more sense for Nintendo right now. After seeing what has brought in the numbers, Nintendo has got to be thinking Smash Kart. We should consider ourselves lucky to be getting Star Fox.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
If? It's already starting and the game might not exist.

Honestly, I'd prefer Metroid or new IP, but Diddy Kong Racing would almost be worth it for the salt.

Almost.

But with Mario Kart 8's continuing popularity, and the likelihood of it receiving additional DLC, I really don't see Nintendo releasing another online racing game.

hydruxo

bJ0YQpq.gif

It begins

Sponge

Banned
But with Mario Kart 8's continuing popularity, and the likelihood of it receiving additional DLC, I really don't see Nintendo releasing another online racing game.

I think Diddy Kong Racing could be different enough to exist on it's own. Especially if the expand on the adventure aspect of the first game.

Choomp

Banned
Man this E3 will rock

Ryu in Smash
Diddy Kong's Quest: Return to Crocodile Isle
Animal Crossing Wii U
Starfox
Wind Waker characters in Hyrule Warriors
And maybe some GameCube HD remakes???

This is a pretty good wish list indeed. Animal Crossing and a Diddy Kong game alone would have me really excited, and GameCube games in HD is something I've wanted for a while.

RPGCrazied

I would still say that Samus wouldn't be in the top three there.

Mario/Link/Pikachu/DK and probably even Kirby are more well known then Samus.

Pikachu is higher than Samus anyway, so she still wouldn't be in the big 3

If we're playing that ballgame, then Donkey Kong is the most recognizable Nintendo character behind Mario himself. But that's okay, because he's just a stupid ape who runs through jungles all day. DOESN'T COUNT!

She isn't.
Fine then, she is part of my big three. :) Opinions, aren't they grand?

Celine

Big three? If we separate out franchises:

Mario. Zelda. Smash. Kart. Kirby. Pokemon. All way above Metroid.

Shipment data as March 2014 (only million sellers):

Mario all: 498,3
Super Mario 2D: 237,14 (include Super Luigi Bros and Mario Bros)
Kart: 103
Super Mario 3D: 59,92
Party: 37,78
Adventure: 2,14 + 9,47 + 10,46 = 22,07 (RPG + Paper + M&L)
Dr Mario: 10,19
Tennis: 4,71
Strikers: 4,15

Pokemon: 235
Wii Sports/Fit/Play/Party/Music: 201,6
Zelda: 78,26
Donkey Kong: 56,49
Brain: 43,38
Tetris: 41,7
Kirby: 30,89
Nintendogs: 27,46
Animal Crossing: 25,94
Smash Bros: 25,1
Wario: 18,05
Yoshi: 17,85
Metroid: 13,84
Layton (Outside Japan): 9,82
Starfox: 8,81
Luigi’s Mansion: 7,3
Tomodachi: 5,61
F-Zero: 5
Punch Out: 4,16
Style Boutique: 4,01
Game & Watch Gallery: 3,44
Kid Icarus: 2,99
Golden Sun: 2,77
Pikmin: 2,71
Pilotwings: 2,26

maxcriden

I would still say that Samus wouldn't be in the top three there.

Mario/Link/Pikachu/DK and probably even Kirby are more well known then Samus.

Definitely Kirby. Can't believe I didn't think of DK, what a brain fart esp. in this thread.

As of 2009, Metroid games had sold 18 M. As of 2013, so pre-Triple Deluxe, Kirby games had sold 34 M. This is from Wiki via Nintendo's reported figures.

Shipment data as March 2014 (only million sellers):

ETA: thank you Celine!

Fine then, she is part of my big three. :) Opinions, aren't they grand?

Sure, and I don't think anyone was trying to argue with your opinion--just arguing in terms of sales.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Can you imagine the E3 event announcing this by Retro and then, at the end, Metroid by Platinum? GAF would crumble.
Actually, I feel like there is a legit possibility of this happening, especially since Platinum retweeted the Nintendo event (yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but still).

Zubz

Banned
I could somewhat see a new Donkey Kong Country game starring Diddy, but we've heard echoes of a Diddy Kong Racing revival for, what, how long? I mean, on top of the rumors, he was missing from Mario Kart 8, for whatever reason; maybe it was to keep the racing brands separate (Which, unfortunately, would hammer another nail in F-Zero's long-since-buried coffin.
And thankfully, it's allegedly by Monster Games, instead of Retro, so...

If the whole "Second Banana" aspect's real, where it's all obscure characters/sidekicks trying to get noticed, like Wonder Red, Mallo, and Dylan/Bandana Dee, Impa, and Waluigi, it's an easy way to sell Amiibo of these characters, too. I can totally see them gunning for the idea.

I could somewhat see a new Donkey Kong Country game starring Diddy, but we've heard echoes of a Diddy Kong Racing revival for, what, how long? I mean, on top of the rumors, he was missing from Mario Kart 8, for whatever reason; maybe it was to keep the racing brands separate (Which, unfortunately, would hammer another nail in F-Zero's long-since-buried coffin.

If the whole "Second Banana" aspect's real, where it's all obscure characters/sidekicks trying to get noticed, like Wonder Red, Mallo, and Dylan/Bandana Dee, Impa, and Waluigi, it's an easy way to sell Amiibo of these characters, too. I can totally see them gunning for the idea.
Hahaha, Waluigi is a great choice!

Drago

Calm down peeps:

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/

The case for Retro doing Metroid is actually stronger now.

I really think this is gonna pan out. All the pieces fit together. It mentioned Monster working on a side project (Xenoblade), it says Retro is assisting development (now they're teasing an E3 appearance), Diddy Kong getting trademarked. DKR2 will be the big game Nintendo unveils that will also come out in the same year, they usually always have one of those every year. It could all just be coincidence but I wanna believe!

it's not gonna happen...

Sponge

Banned

I was pumped when I had heard about that rumor. Dillion and Mallo would be great choices for Diddy Kong Racing. Wonder if Nintendo knows that they own Krunch?

I also think Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball would fit well on the roster. He has two different designs between the US and Japan though so I don't know of they'd bother with him.

Maybe Retro will throw ya'll a bone and sneak a Samus cameo in the new Diddy Kong game

I'm telling ya JC, all the desperate Metroid fans who tried to fund another entry through heavy samus amiibo purchases will be well rewarded with a Samus themed cap for Diddy Kong when scanned.

I still have a small feeling that they purchased the IP and are making a full 3d HD version of Steamworld Dig. That said, I really want Diddy Kong Racing 2.

Top Bottom